Sign in to follow this  
marco768

Duke Coupe from Dirt: Showdown (RWD Hot Rod Offroader) [Picture Heavy]

Hi all,

Been lurking here for some time, and enjoyed viewing many of the MOCs you guys are creating. I ended my dark age 3 years ago with the Unimog set,

however I don't have the motivation to join the world of MOCs until now. :blush:

For my first MOC I have chosen to reproduce the Duke Coupe featured in the racing game "Dirt: Showdown". I think the simple structure and design of

the car would be a good first practice on MOCs.

13544107-c14b-4ce8-9d92-84b6f5baf059.jpg

Duke_coupe.jpg

For the build I didn't make much planning apart from approximating the stud length and width of the car, and deciding that it would be double wishbone

suspension for both front and rear. Then I just laid all the available parts around myself and begin assembling freehand.

I started out with the front axle, and decided midway that I want the build to also be IR controlled with a servo for steering and L motor for drive. The

build then progressed to the centre section with the engine and exhausts. The exhausts took a lot of tweaking to make it look right, and even when I

leave it I'm still doubtful of the appearance. :look:

20140605_002427.jpg

I then skipped the main body section and begin work on the rear axle and the rear bodywork. Joining the front and rear took quite some time.

Originally I wanted to have a detailed cockpit but the battery box, L motor and IR receiver took all the space. Designing and fitting the panels were

easier than expected though.

The roof was the hardest part of the whole build, I just couldn't get it to look right for a very long time. Later I accept defeat and decided on using flex

axles again. :tongue:

In the last steps I find structural weaknesses (by using my hand to flex and twist the whole model) and strengthened them, then I finish the build with

some last touches on minor details.

The finished build:

20140605_223155.jpg

20140605_223432.jpg

20140605_223615.jpg

Engine bay details:

20140605_223250.jpg

20140605_221631.jpg

Central PF elements:

20140605_220127.jpg

Detached rear body and roof:

20140605_221105.jpg

Detached front body and hood (One flex tube slipped out of position :wacko:):

20140605_222321.jpg

Belly shot:

20140605_224523.jpg

Specs:

Length: 60 studs Width: 27 studs

I don't know the exact weight but it is heavier than the assembled 42000 F1.

I also don't know the part count since I didn't bother counting. :grin:

IR controlled with servo steering

L motor geared 1:1.4 with differential for drive to rear wheels (engine also connected)

Speed: ~1 m/s

Front and rear double wishbone suspension

Wheelbase: 47 studs Track width: 23 studs

Normally 4 studs clearance with 3-4 studs travel

1 stud clearance when fully compressed

I am aware there may be some sub-optimal assemblies, some individual parts may not be 100% stably secured, and the bent axles may be illegal

techniques. :look:

The ride height went a lot higher than I expected, the nose is also a few studs too long.and as a result the whole model looks a bit off-proportioned

compared to the original. :tongue: But I think the overall feel of the design is still there.

Although the build was fairly basic and simple, the process was extremely fun. The exhaust turned out to all right once I attached the rear and main

body. Watching the build take shape as it progresses was the most satisfying feeling I've had in a while. :laugh:

Thanks for viewing!

Marco

Edited by marco768

Nice curves and details on the exhaust! I also like the difference in the size of the tires. For my taste the wheelbase could be a bit shorter.

Edited by stefan_betula_pendula

I see you are not affraid to bend a few bricks to get the desired shape. Good work, all the brick bending payed off, the lines are organic, especialy rear side.

Nice job on this Hot Rod! I think a Hot Rod is a great first MOC and I am surprised more people don't build them. I often find myself wanting to build a rod. For a first MOC it has so many organic lines like Zblj said previously and you should be extremely proud of that since as you probably figured out, aren't easy to replicate! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I agree, all the lines look great! How well does it drive with the L motor?

tim

It drives very well with one L motor, the speed is around 1 m/s.

The drivetrain has two pairs of gears,24 teeth-24 teeth and 20 teeth-28 teeth differential (Overall 1:1.4 ratio). If I reverse the motor output while the car was still moving forward the 24-24 set sometimes will slip, otherwise it works likes a dream. :blush:

I have no idea of the power consumption, but I did notice it got a bit slower after playing with it for around 10 min, however the battery has already been used previously before I build this model though.

Because those wheel hubs don't have ackerman you could put the steering rack infront of the axle centerline and this would allow you to move the servo forward in the chassis. The end result would enable a shorter wheelbase.

v/r

Andy

I agree with stefan_betula_pendula; the wheelbase seems a little long, by about 3 studs I think. And ... H'm. Maybe the exhaust manifolds would look better if you gave the pipes different lengths past the L-beam?

Edited by VK-318