Rufus

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 12 Rumours and Discussion

The same in Hungary.

Same in Italy, I got them for 1,75€ each at my usual Lego pusher :wink:

Uh... sorry, may you differ "fairytale princess's" from "damsels-in-distess"? :look:

He could if there was any actual difference, but there isn't.

ANY princess is a damsel in distress, if put in the proper situation.

It doesn't depend upon the minifigure itself, but on the contest.

There's no doubt about this.

Same in Italy, I got them for 1,75€ each at my usual Lego pusher :wink:

He could if there was any actual difference, but there isn't.

ANY princess is a damsel in distress, if put in the proper situation.

It doesn't depend upon the minifigure itself, but on the contest.

There's no doubt about this.

I think what Dorayaki is referring to is something actually based more on a fairytale, rather than just a traditional Castle princess who has been kidnapped. There are plenty of fairytales where the princess is more than just an object to be rescued. Perhaps this princess will come with a frog to kiss, a la the Frog Prince? Of course, the most distinctive fairytale princess I can think of is Cinderella, due to her magical ballgown and glass slippers, but I don't know whether to expect that for this fig—how exactly DO you depict glass slippers on a minifig?

I think what Dorayaki is referring to is something actually based more on a fairytale, rather than just a traditional Castle princess who has been kidnapped. There are plenty of fairytales where the princess is more than just an object to be rescued. Perhaps this princess will come with a frog to kiss, a la the Frog Prince? Of course, the most distinctive fairytale princess I can think of is Cinderella, due to her magical ballgown and glass slippers, but I don't know whether to expect that for this fig—how exactly DO you depict glass slippers on a minifig?

Transparent legs with print everywhere but the feet, and a cloth skirt.

Transparent legs with print everywhere but the feet, and a cloth skirt.

I thought about that, but the issue there is that the backs of the legs would be transparent (not to mention you'd be able to see all the way through the feet). The next best thing would be printing with the metallic blue ink used on some of the Ninjago NRG Ninja or the stickers to the Chima Eagle Legend Beast. But I don't know how much that'd look like glass...

I thought about that, but the issue there is that the backs of the legs would be transparent (not to mention you'd be able to see all the way through the feet). The next best thing would be printing with the metallic blue ink used on some of the Ninjago NRG Ninja or the stickers to the Chima Eagle Legend Beast. But I don't know how much that'd look like glass...

Maybe a dual mold of trans-clear plastic (for the "feet") and ABS (for the legs), similar to Bart's Sleeves? As speculative as this issue is ATM.

Good thinking on the frog accessory, though. Maybe in a new color like lime or olive green?

Thanks to you (sry, just forgot the username) sir, for sharing the Alexandre Boudon link!

There might be a hint to the Video Game Guy in his designs also...here (at the bottom, left):

http://4.bp.blogspot...terDesign06.jpg

I'd REALLY like to see his Giants getting realized, too. But yeah, that will never happen!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_IV9W5sKJdTg/TGWFUbLWkuI/AAAAAAAAASw/qv6gnxg5nIQ/s1600/CharacterDesign07.jpg

Edited by KCMatze

Glass slippers could be like the ice skates or roller skates. But the frog idea is really clever as well.

While I've seen a lot of people argue that the price increase will cause a loss in sales, frankly the CMFs have been such reliable sellers that I can't imagine it'll have too much of an impact.

I think it might, but look at it this way: TLG comes out WAY ahead if they sell half as much at twice the price.

It's one of those marketing things... they raised the price by a buck in the second year, now again in the fourth year... when it happens, the mindset is "it's just a buck." But it adds 33% on top of whatever the profit margin was. Now it's 50%. seeing as how their average profit margin is normally around 25% (based on past earnings statements, but still just a guess - they are a private company, not publicly held, and don't have to disclose much), and assuming they split the extra profit with the retailer evenly (they don't, but let's give them the benefit of the doubt), the profit margin is then over 37%.

Sorry, I know this is boring some of you, but while I won't berate TLG for that kind of high profit, I think it's interesting to keep in mind, when most people's mindsets (according to a study I read a few years ago) suggest people think 10 to 20% is "fair" for a company to make. Personally? I understand it's a free market (and I fully support the free market), and for some non-necessity like minifigures, TLG can charge as much as they think people will pay in order to maximize their profit... but I like looking at the numbers.

To get back on track, though, let me just say the ones I'm looking forward to, more than the others (my opinion may change when I see them, of course), is:

- Battle Goddess.... can't wait to see that one. I love the fighters, especially the female ones because there's been so many males; even the evil ones (like Medusa).

- Wizard... I have some wizards, including the polybag one (and including Galdalf); if they can pull off something unique, that would be great.

- Piggy Guy... expecting something like chicken suit guy, bumble bee girl... I love that collection, so this should be cool. Pair a few of them up with the classic wolfman (full wolf head, not the CMF), and it could be a cool part of the "studios" builds I'm planning.

- Fairytale Princess... pointy hat would be a cool one, since I don't have anything like that, but we'll wait and see. I am a big castle fan, it would be an interesting addition.

- Spooky Girl... need to see this one, but could be cool... could be on either side of a "Ghost Hunters" equation?

- Prospector... Love the old west theme.

- Genie Girl... I like when new CMFs pair with old ones, so that would be cool.

Anyhow, my two cents.

I think it might, but look at it this way: TLG comes out WAY ahead if they sell half as much at twice the price.

It's one of those marketing things... they raised the price by a buck in the second year, now again in the fourth year... when it happens, the mindset is "it's just a buck." But it adds 33% on top of whatever the profit margin was. Now it's 50%. seeing as how their average profit margin is normally around 25% (based on past earnings statements, but still just a guess - they are a private company, not publicly held, and don't have to disclose much), and assuming they split the extra profit with the retailer evenly (they don't, but let's give them the benefit of the doubt), the profit margin is then over 37%.

Sorry, I know this is boring some of you, but while I won't berate TLG for that kind of high profit, I think it's interesting to keep in mind, when most people's mindsets (according to a study I read a few years ago) suggest people think 10 to 20% is "fair" for a company to make. Personally? I understand it's a free market (and I fully support the free market), and for some non-necessity like minifigures, TLG can charge as much as they think people will pay in order to maximize their profit... but I like looking at the numbers.

My point was more that at twice the price, they might not have to sell half as many. The demand for the CMFs is high enough that even at a dollar more, I'm pretty sure they could still sell out at stores. After all, for every kid whose parents tell them they can't afford one, there's an AFOL who's willing to snap it up, and for every AFOL who decides they can no longer afford to complete a full set, there are many more opportunities for kids to get those one at a time. Also, while Lego could conceivably sell "half as much at twice the price", it would not improve their reputation with retailers if it significantly increased the amount of overstock they were left with. But given the popularity of the Minifigures line, I don't think overstock will be a problem in most stores. Rather, I think the stock those stores order will simply last for a longer part of the four month lifespan of a given series before it's replaced.

I appreciate the references, but by now his art is being overlinked on this topic We already have links. :classic: Good point, though, but it wouldn't make too much sense, but it's always possible.

My point was more that at twice the price, they might not have to sell half as many.

No disagreement... perhaps I should rephrase what I said to be "even if they only sell half as much..." I have no doubt that, if sales do decrease, it will be very minor. I think, though, that if people really thought about it, TLG might lose some good will.

[quote name=KCMatze' timestamp='1401127140' post='190003There might be a hint to the Video Game Guy in his designs also...here (at the bottom, left):

http://4.bp.blogspot...terDesign06.jpg

I'd REALLY like to see his Giants getting realized, too. But yeah, that will never happen!

http://3.bp.blogspot...terDesign07.jpg

I personally think this one is like the Computer Programmer, and the rumor said the new guy will use DJ's headphone piece instead. Would the bottom right one be the spooky girl?

I think what Dorayaki is referring to is something actually based more on a fairytale, rather than just a traditional Castle princess who has been kidnapped. There are plenty of fairytales where the princess is more than just an object to be rescued. Perhaps this princess will come with a frog to kiss, a la the Frog Prince? Of course, the most distinctive fairytale princess I can think of is Cinderella, due to her magical ballgown and glass slippers.

Thanx. :laugh: The current problem is, as long as TLG keeps going with Disney, it's difficult for them to create another bunch of heroines directly based on the most notable princess stories again. I assume that the rumored Fairytale Princess would be more generic and typical. She would get every characteristic that a fairytale heroine should have, much like the idea of Belville heroines or Giselle from Enchanted.

Speaking of Alexandre Boudon, has anybody mentioned if the 'Piggy Guy' will be one of his 3 little pig designs rather than the usual minifig in animal costume? I like the costumed characters so I hope not but his designs are great.

We can see that this designer wanted to begin a fairytale project, which is for regular sets. So the plan might be having a cottage set with three piglets together and the big bad wolf. But is it possible for us to get all three brothers in CMFs, or we should wait for Chima an independent theme? If not, it'd still be an oridinary costume. Edited by Dorayaki

Couldn't the glass slippers just be clear 1X1 plates?

No, because they'd just come off when you'd lift the minifigure off of a studed surface. That's the reason the Studios Frankenstein couldn't have it.

I'm also surprised they haven't really reused (to my knowledge, at least) the really tall Woody/Jessie legs.

As it stands, the 1x1 plate addition seems to be the most likely solution. I'd prefer more printed tall legs or long arms, but that doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon.

The main problem with the 1x1 is how big the feet look. They don't always come off when you lift someone up, but they make the feet look bulky in a straight shot. But it could work for glass slippers, although I don't think it would give the right look. The height difference wouldn't matter so much since most dress adorned females are taller, but the feet would be regular color and then a random 1x1 underneath that would look odd.

I'd like to see more additions like the GOTG and Simpsons tail piece, only no tail. It'd fit right inbetween the legs and the torso and add extra height without it making the feet look weird. Or of course, more tall legs options.

What makes these CMF so special is the new molds or at least molds in new colors. A 1x1 clear plate to represent a glass slipper would be disappointing if that was the accessory.

Going back to those sketches, I would rather have the full ball gown that has the hoops inside which makes it wider than a regular minifigure. What is more fairie tale princess than a big ball gown. We would benefit from having a variation in dress styles and a new mold might have a stronger connection between the dress and the body. If you place the tarot reader on a tile and then remove her, she breaks in half and the dress remains on the tile.

We know that does not have to happen as the regular legs, the mermaid tail, and the Medusa body all have bigger studs to connect to the body and they don't have the issue.

The dresses attach with studs, being slope bricks. The legs have special pegs that fit more snugly in the torso, A specific dress piece would be welcome.

No, because they'd just come off when you'd lift the minifigure off of a studed surface. That's the reason the Studios Frankenstein couldn't have it.

I'm also surprised they haven't really reused (to my knowledge, at least) the really tall Woody/Jessie legs.

The CMF hard hat diver had them? (The 1x1's not the Toy Story legs.)

I can see where the Woody legs could be awkward for them to use outside of a very specific purpose. They create a fig with very different flow and proportions than a regular minifig. I can think of very few characters that might work even halfway well with them? Maybe an obscure comic book villain like Stiltman?

Edited by Faefrost

It is odd that the S8 Diver used those. As mentioned, the 1x1s were declared a design flaw for the "Frankenstein's Monster" minifigure, so I don't see why they used the same idea later when they could have stuck with the foot printing and avoid loose connection flaws. For the same reason, Lord Business's legs come with slopes inserted in them to enforce the connection to the giant feet.

It is odd that the S8 Diver used those. As mentioned, the 1x1s were declared a design flaw for the "Frankenstein's Monster" minifigure, so I don't see why they used the same idea later when they could have stuck with the foot printing and avoid loose connection flaws. For the same reason, Lord Business's legs come with slopes inserted in them to enforce the connection to the giant feet.

Probably has something to do with the "Collectible" prefix on the minifgs giving them more relaxed standards for playability?

Space Miner, - I think we are getting a new Mtrons minifig. space fans rejoice.

Yes! I was thinking this as well.