AndroTech

42030 - Volvo L350F Wheel Loader

So, toys 'r' us in the netherlands and germany have 20% off of lego.

Toysrus in the netherlands doesnt show the 42030, germany does.

Thing is, that the 20% off ends today. I'm thinking, is the price still going to drop, or will it stay at this level.

The lego price in the netherlands is € 249,99, in germany 219,99 and it will cost me € 178 (with 20% off) to get it here.

To buy, or not to buy, that's the question... :look::sceptic:

Edited by captainmib

I'm not totally blown away by this set. I like that it includes the PF it does, but it's not as neat looking as previous flagships (I'm looking at you 8043). I think I'll wait for Christmas or something so I can give my wife an idea of what to buy me, haha.

Theres a lot of gear crunching when using the actuators and the b-model eats up ink and paper like theres no tommorow, other than that its quite a good set.

I'll have to resort to madocas new buggy for a bit of exitement though. :)

Edited by JM1971

How can you NOT build a set ?

Oh easy. Buy a set for parts, as soon as you get it rip out the parts you need and put them into the MOC that's mostly-finished on your desk, put the rest of the parts into a bag labelled "set 1234 parts" and never get round to actually building it before you realise that there's hardly any parts actually in the bag.

Or, with some sets, buy four copies for parts and wince at all the unpacking and sorting you have to do before you can actually use the parts. For those it would be better if each set came in one bag and instructions were optional :) Although, if we were doing that, I'd rather be able to choose not to get wheels/tyres and battery boxes. I have *lots* of battery boxes.

Easy really ... I travel a lot for work, only had time recently to build my Mini entry and also the Creator Mini and so at the moment I have the Technic Skip Truck and the BTTF DeLorean, Ghostbusters and Minecraft: The End all sitting in their boxes unopened! They will soon be joined by the Volvo. And the UCS Tmbler but i can see those 2 being built quite soon

Just finished building this. So the wheel loader from my Mini entry could finally meet his daddy! :classic:

90955b88a1136efa1857156b3e23c7a9.png

7169a97788bfb66818fbc60d92ed81da.png

The model looks massive. I love it. I am still on the fence about the servo. Might try a different approach than LA's to get rid of the jerkyness of the steering.

Edited by Appie

I build this thing about two weeks ago, but from parts I already had in my inventory. Now I'm waiting for the bucket and the stickers to arrive from TLG customer support. I haven't had time for a real stress test yet. But i think this model could really show its class with a SmartBrick. Driving and steering with the gyros of a smart phone and operating the bucket with touch control.

Got mine yesterday. 2395 swedish kr. Rather expensive but :)

there is three things to be fixed as I see it

the steering

no parallelhandeling in the loader

the gearing abuse in the LA:s. I don't have any extra around but the 24 tooth clutch gear should work as a replacement for standard 24 tooth for the lifting LA:s

Bonus:

A fast connector to change from the bucket to other tools

Hey guys, I got this set a couple days ago and built it in 4.5 hours. The build itself had its challenges and different building concepts (for me) and pretty many different pieces. I like those things but before I bought it a loved the size, what was included, and that it would be my first front end loader. But while I was building it therear part of the loader was very detailed and very well put together. But when u started building the front, it was like the designer kinda gave up. Not saying he did a bad job, I just think it could have been done better. I wish the front was as good looking as the rear, just saying. The functionality of the set is great. I'm looking forward to a mod for this, thanks

It took me about seven hours to build 42030 over two days. The entire process was a lot of fun and very comparable to 8265 which still remains a favorite of mine. There are about 1,000 less pieces than last years 42009 but it never felt like it.This thing is huge! I know there was talk of this set not being in scale with previous Technic construction sets but it is. It is close to 1/22 to 1/24 scale which matches up nicely with 42009 and 8043. Of course this replica is a bit longer overall if you were to put it side by side with an accurate diecast model but that is down to design choices while trying to stuff all of the PF inside it. There are areas that need attention like the front but overall I am impressed and seeing this set in person has changed my opinion. The steering is not terrible but I'm interested to see what mod's are in the works. Whether it is worth $250 US is another matter but if you want one you don't have a choice.

I went for the Rock Crusher XT 1.9's instead of the stock "Unimog" tires as the tread is too shallow. Obviously these are more for crawling but they don't look half bad until I can find a better option. I did have to move the front fenders back one stud and and modify the rear fender hinges so the tires wouldn't rub when the pendular axle was used. I also added 1x8 tiles to cover the gray frames and panels to improve the front end.

14903742053_18788da86d_b.jpg

Edited by therealjustin

With the stock tires it looks bad, but with custom ones i love it. The bad part about this set is the price, i hope i can get it sometimes at a discount.

I didn't even build it with the stock tires, I got a set of Gmade 1901's before I got the set knowing the stock ones wouldn't look as good. I,m happy with it, the price is a bit high. Here in the states with tax it was pushing 270 dollars, I,ve spent more on Ebay for retired sets though so I wasn't too dissapointed with the price. I think as time goes by, we will see more mods to it, and it will end up being in the same class as the 8043, 42009 sets. Even the 8110 for that mater.

Dan

I think in UK we are all waiting for Smythstoys to get the discount on it...as on all the other items they have!!!!! :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

They always have amazing deals.....plus within you get a 6£ off vaucher!!

Edited by TheItalianBrick

Did anyone notice that the servo is not able to turn full 90 degrees when the vehicle is fully steered? Or I made a mistake when I assembled mine? Just look at the steering wheel, it turns about 80 degrees, but definitely not 90. Does it mean that the servo motor is stalling during steering?

there is three things to be fixed as I see it

the steering

no parallelhandeling in the loader

the gearing abuse in the LA:s. I don't have any extra around but the 24 tooth clutch gear should work as a replacement for standard 24 tooth for the lifting LA:s

Bonus:

A fast connector to change from the bucket to other tools

What do people mean by parallel handling?

What is the part number for the gray 2L pin with1L cross axle can't see it in the parts list ?

Used at step 115 on page 187.

Currently building the B model from parts to hand and have had to devise alterantive parts for some steps for the articulated hauler.

Edited by Doug72

Has anyone got links for buying just the bucket?

You probably need to call customer service.

You probably need to call customer service.

JIm is it the case they'll ask me if it's for a replacement of a broken one I already own? Cos I don't have the 42030 yet....

Effermann said that the bucket it's 15 euros (or similar)....just wondering how did he know about it!