This is my first big project for this year. Here's what I have:

IMG_5610.jpg

As you can see, the rear axle still needs to be reinforced, so I was wondering if anyone as some solutions. Also do you think 2 L motors geared 1:1 to differential will be sufficient between speed and torque.

I too am building a trophy truck, though on a smaller scale. If you are going for both speed and torque, I would recommend a buggy motor(also what I am using). The high speed output means you can gear it down and get even more torque while keeping a relatively high speed.

tim

Looks great so far! Might want to put another degree of freedom on the shock mounts though :wink: Or is it completely non-independent?

As timslegos said, although they are quite expensive, buggy motors are perfect for something like this. They're a lot faster, and while you could gear up your 2 L-motors, more gearing = more power loss and ultimately a lot less fun.

Good luck! :thumbup:

TLH

I do have an rc buggy motor, but I don't think it would be very efficient. As you could have guessed it's going to be using Unimog tires, so I think just one would be a bit weak. I'm hoping that the big tires will give decent speed, with great torque.

More Progress: First version chassis

800x600.jpg

IMG_5612.jpg

IMG_5613.jpg

This version has many flaws, such as a loose rear axle, the caster or camber angle ( I don't know which one it is ) is messing up the steering, and the servo is able to pull the A-arms off because of the steering situation. There has been some improvements, I gave it an internal roll bar sort of thing to help support the chassis.

If you could please give some more photos of the front suspension, preferably without wheels on, I would like to help you out! For now here's a simple lightweight chassis I made long ago: http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=511390

EDIT: On Brickshelf there should be tons of inspiration for a stronger rear axle, but I would avoid using axle connectors instead of liftarms to brace things with, because with a little trial and error you will always find a nice bracing point with liftarms rather than dealing with 1/2 stud offsets and axles that slide apart.

Edited by z3_2drive

I see what you mean, but I literally meant that I need to reinforce the driveshaft after the differential because it is a bit loose. As for the front suspension I might take more pictures, but it will probably be with a changed setup. Just to make it simpler and stronger hopefully. Thanks

The progress is looking great so far! :thumbup: Looks like it will be very light weight. What battery box are you using?

TLH

Interesting! I started on a trophy truck a few weeks ago but gave up as I could not work out how to mount my rear suspension. Anyway, I will come back to it later. Your progress is good so please take your time to develop it.

H

I worry about the spider gears in your differential. Most vehicles that use that size tire will use reduction after the differential to "protect" the spider gears. On the other hand, you might not have enough torque to damage them.

v/r

Andy

I've finally finished.

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

So, overall it has 2 rechargeable battery boxes, 2 V2 IR receivers, 2 L motors, 1 servo motor, and 1 pair of LED's for the roof lights.

I have already taken it outside in the snow (after pictures) and it has good traction, torque, and goes a little bit faster than walking speed.

More information will be on my website shortly.

Thanks guys. About the video, I still am uncertain on how to post it to my website. If I do figure it out then I plan to make a short video.

That was a fast build. Did you try it with only one battery and RX? The power demands of those motors may be within the capacity of a single rx and battery. The reduced weight may help too.

v/r

Andy

Woah, what a good looking MOC! Body is very cool - I really would love to build it.

Very nice truck, I like it! However, I have one question - Why did you use two BBs and recievers? Well, the BBs for centering the weight, but why doubble reciever?

Because of power consumption? I don't think so, Two Ls and servo with lights does not consume so much power like RC Buggy motor ;)

However, I'm not sure ;)

PS: looking forward to see the video ;)