At the time 8466 was released you could get a pneumatics add on kit, much like the various motor kits. The crane you see in some pictures is from that.

At the time 8466 was released you could get a pneumatics add on kit, much like the various motor kits. The crane you see in some pictures is from that.

This one?

5218-1.jpg

http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=5218-1

RRP 28$US year 2000, 147 parts, and today's price in Bricklink about 150 euro. :wacko: Anyway it looks like a lovely add-on for 8466.

Edited by Finntech

The 8466 tyres are rubbish. Yes, they're huge, but they're incomprehensibly heavy even for their size and because of that they will wobble on nearly every possible axle mount. To be honest I haven't used them for serious stuff in years. Right now I'm using one as a flywheel because of the weight, but as actual wheels they're practically unusable. I'd say don't spend your money on them and get 8110, for sure. The 8110 tyres are much lighter and can carry much more weight. Also the axle hubs in 8110 are nice for large trucks. Suspension of 8110 looks much more solid to me.

Also don't forget that 8446 has 1100 parts while 8110 has 2000! That's almost twice as much! And 8110 includes pneumatics with compressor.

As far as functionality, 8466 is, well... a car. So it has steering, suspension, an engine, a gearbox and cool wing doors with steps. 8110 has a steering, suspension, an engine, and an electrically driven rotating pneumatic crane with three degrees of freedom that can be mounted at the front or back, a winch that can be mounted at the other end. I know what makes the most interesting build :)

Also 8466 has the rare metallic green while 8110 has orange. The metallic green color is cool, but obsolete. Orange is still in use. Take your pick.

Edit: and last but not least, 8466 uses technology that is 11 years behind ;)

Edited by Erik Leppen

The 8466 tyres are rubbish. Yes, they're huge, but they're incomprehensibly heavy even for their size and because of that they will wobble on nearly every possible axle mount. To be honest I haven't used them for serious stuff in years. Right now I'm using one as a flywheel because of the weight, but as actual wheels they're practically unusable. I'd say don't spend your money on them and get 8110, for sure. The 8110 tyres are much lighter and can carry much more weight. Also the axle hubs in 8110 are nice for large trucks. Suspension of 8110 looks much more solid to me.

Also don't forget that 8446 has 1100 parts while 8110 has 2000! That's almost twice as much! And 8110 includes pneumatics with compressor.

As far as functionality, 8466 is, well... a car. So it has steering, suspension, an engine, a gearbox and cool wing doors with steps. 8110 has a steering, suspension, an engine, and an electrically driven rotating pneumatic crane with three degrees of freedom that can be mounted at the front or back, a winch that can be mounted at the other end. I know what makes the most interesting build :)

Also 8466 has the rare metallic green while 8110 has orange. The metallic green color is cool, but obsolete. Orange is still in use. Take your pick.

Edit: and last but not least, 8466 uses technology that is 11 years behind ;)

U are joking rite? 8466 is a great buy purely for the huge tires,they're just huge and the biggest tires ever made and very expensive now to buy,ur the only person I heard of giving out about the wheels being to heavy,

The answer to this dragged out question is simple,buy 8466 and then 8110 end off!

U are joking rite?
No I'm not joking.

They're expensive because they're rare, and haven't been used in sets since 2001. If you count every set once, there're only six in the whole Lego history (of which two are printed). So even if you need four of them without the Power puller print, one way or another they have to come from 8466. That's why they're expensive.

That said, I'm not a trucktrialer.

Edited by Erik Leppen

U are joking rite? 8466 is a great buy purely for the huge tires,they're just huge and the biggest tires ever made and very expensive now to buy,ur the only person I heard of giving out about the wheels being to heavy,

The answer to this dragged out question is simple,buy 8466 and then 8110 end off!

No, What he says is true. those tires are way too heavy to be usable for anything other then a display model.

And the answer to this dragged out question isn't so simple, It all depends on how much money Sama has got and will get in the coming year.

Only he knows that so only he knows if he'll be able to save up enough money to buy the 8110 later.

As his question evolved into a 8458 vs 8466 vs 8110 it all depends on what he values more in a Lego set and whether he makes mocs or not.

Just finished building 8466 and it is a really cool model,would be nice to be able to motorise it :)

I've your trying to kill your motors, All I can say is have fun.

Lego didn't include motorization instructions like they did with 8448 for a reason, The tires are just too heavy to be powered without putting excessive strain on the motor.

While these tires look great they are just too tick (the rubber) which makes them so heavy, And therefore pretty much unusable.

I'm not a Lego Truck Trial enthusiast but all truck trial trucks I've seen don't use these tires for a reason.

I'd even go so far as to say the only reason they where used on 8466 (And possibly the only reason 8466 was ever made) is because they had to use them in another set after the power puller to justify the cost of making them in the first place.

Because when it comes down to it, 8466 is really just an off-road version of 8448 with the power pullers tires. (Exact same gearbox, gull-wing doors, basic frame. Just higher suspension. the second model again shares the same chassis. Ah well you get the point. :wink: )

Now don't get me wrong, I love this set for it's looks (Loving the metallic green.) and own two copy's of it because I could afford it.

But I never had to choose between 8466 or 8458 I simply got both (And even own both twice.) or choose between 8466 and 8110 which was Sama's original question.

So to get back to that question:

What you need to ask yourself is why do I want the set? (What do you want to do with them? just build and display or build, disassemble and moc with the parts?

And what can I afford/Do I want to spend my hard earned money on?

For display purposes (and if you got the ability to buy 8110 at a later time): Get the 8466 or 8458 while you still can if you really like them.

(The silver champion being the better choice as that has an actual second model instead of 8466's alternative body on the same chassis. Not to mention 8458's third official alternative and the third/fourth unofficial alternative by Industrial Designer found on brickshelf.com.)

Best advise on 8466 vs 8458 would be get both, But i don't know if you can afford that.

For the building experience and moccing about: Don't take another look at both 8466 and 8458 and just buy 8110, You'll love it.

Still not sure and want to see them all side by side, Just ask and I'll takes some pictures for you.

I bought my 8466 with a few small parts missing ,basically just the 2 side things steps with the silver on them.the set was mint and only cost me €50 so was happy out,I had planned on buying the tires new but were costing me €100 for the 4 :( I really just wanted the tires but I rebuilt the set and it really is nice and I love the gearbox it's very real like!

It's like new now and I replaced also any worn parts and all uni joints too.

Also I have driven my 8110 with the 8466 tires with no problems!!!

Is the gearbox on 8880 the same as 8466?

8110 is a better set overall but I don't think its functionality is that much more impressive than 8466. It's one of those models that has several disparate subsystems (4WD, pneumatic arm, front winch), each of which are fairly standard on their own except for the suspension. 8466 is "just another" super car, but on the other hand we haven't had any other super car with a full transmission since then. 8466 arguably looks nicer with the sleek shape and metallic green color, while 8110 is certainly better for parts.

As for the 8466 tires, they are indeed of limited use due to their size and weight (although I have seen them used on trial trucks), but the size allows you to build some things that would not be possible with any other Lego wheels. It depends on what exactly you want to build. In general, both of these wheels are too big for a typical Technic model. I think the most versatile wheels are the old foam 20x30 wheels (which don't compress under weight like the air-filled ones), followed closely by the 62.4x20 wheels that are used in many sets today.

Because when it comes down to it, 8466 is really just an off-road version of 8448 with the power pullers tires.

With all the shortcomings fixed, that is. :tongue: It's basically what 8448 should have been in the first place.

The 8466 tyres are rubbish. Yes, they're huge...To be honest I haven't used them for serious stuff in years....

You're right -- here's "Stephanie's Cool Convertible" being crushed by the awesome Power Puller tires of the 8466! :laugh:

6708948799_7c8100f2d1_z.jpg

Personally I really like the power puller wheels. Never had a problem with em. Now if you want to motorize 8466 then the drive train is the real problem. It was not designed to take that kind of stress. I love gearboxes, but have had to design my own for motorised projects.

You're right -- here's "Stephanie's Cool Convertible" being crushed by the awesome Power Puller tires of the 8466! :laugh:

6708948799_7c8100f2d1_z.jpg

That voluptuous, that beautiful, I just love... these big wheels :laugh: .

With all the shortcomings fixed, that is. :tongue: It's basically what 8448 should have been in the first place.

Wait...exactly what does 8448 come short? I think it's a great set, especially the wing door version: it's modular, the suspension is much better than that of 8880 (8880's is way too stiff), the chassis is efficient, the gearbox is compact and has nice ratios, the body is nicely shaped and it looks like an actual sports car. OK, it's not a 4x4x4 and the studless body is less of an achievement than 8880's body, but exactly what is missing from 8448?

@davidmull: then I guess we'll have to agree to disagree :classic:

U don't hear many on about 8448 so maybe it's just not as great as 8466 which is very popular ;) now anyone else want to run down 8466 I'll get my big wheels out at u :)

Although I think most or 99% love 8466 :)

Wait...exactly what does 8448 come short? I think it's a great set, especially the wing door version: it's modular, the suspension is much better than that of 8880 (8880's is way too stiff), the chassis is efficient, the gearbox is compact and has nice ratios, the body is nicely shaped and it looks like an actual sports car. OK, it's not a 4x4x4 and the studless body is less of an achievement than 8880's body, but exactly what is missing from 8448?

That was just it. It's a nice enough set but it was a downgrade from the earlier 8880 in terms of mechanical complexity, and you can really tell when you build them both. I got this set as a kid but was pretty disappointed by it, as I had missed 8880 but it left out many things that had made 8880 great (especially having drive and steering on the same axle, which was very rare back then). The suspension does work smoothly and it generally did what it tried to do very well, but it simply didn't aim that high. It felt like you were building a "regular" Technic car in some ways, while 8880 and 8466 felt like true flagship sets. :tongue:

I agree that the 8466 tires are massive and heavy, but this can be a good a thing or a bad thing, depending on your goals. For example, I love them in Grazi's Big Foot.

small.jpg

Comparing 8466 to 8110 is difficult because they are from different times. I don't find that big a difference in their complexity, although 8100 probably wins based on the pneumatics and pendular suspension. Both have AWD and gearboxes. 8110 gearbox switches functions and 8466 switches gears. Both have massive unique tires. 8466 is actually greatly superior in terms of structure. Because the chassis is built with studs and the body is built studless, you get the best of both worlds. It is incredibly sturdy.

Buying today, I would get 8466. 8110 will be available for a long time, and I think 8466 is not be missed if you have the opportunity to get it at a reasonable price. You will learn things from it that you will never learn from 8110 simply because they are not done that way any more.

If you ever decide to study or build Jurgen Krooshoop's Sunbeam, you will find that he uses many of the parts and techniques from 8466 in the chassis, so these methods are still valuable today and produce a very strong car.

wp8052b295.png

Ok, so i want to buy one of those 2 sets in the next month, but i don't know which to get. I found them at the same price ( ~ 250 $) so price range is the same. Until i saw this offer i was sure that i was going to buy 8043, because i REALLY like it, but now, i'm confused. So, what should i get first ?

PS: Set 8275 is 250 $ Second hand, and 8043 is NEW.

LE: Sorry for my mistake and thank you for moving my topic here. Again, i apologize.

Edited by Freekysch

Ok, so i want to buy one of those 2 sets in the next month, but i don't know which to get. I found them at the same price ( ~ 250 $) so price range is the same. Until i saw this offer i was sure that i was going to buy 8043, because i REALLY like it, but now, i'm confused. So, what should i get first ?

PS: Set 8275 is 250 $ Second hand, and 8043 is NEW.

Sorry to be rude to a new member, but these topics are really annoying. Just imagine if every member created a topic whenever they wanted to buy a set. Also, there's a topic about this already...

However, since a lot of you Technic guys seem to not want to hang out with the System guys I'll make a similar topic here, but please do realise that EB is one site, not a collection of many small ones. I'm making an exception here, not a rule... :wink:

@ Freekysch: You should make a decision SOON, before the sets are sold to somebody else. You can't go wrong with any of them -- they are all winners. If you can't decide, just flip a coin! :classic:

No one suggests 9394?

Quite a lot of red panels and beams, enough to make the body of a supercar. No wheels so quite cheap. I've bought it anyway, I hope it was worth it...

Regarding 8466, is the suspension (mainly front) really that weak? Would the springs from 8110 benefit 8466?

Could someone be so nice and take a picture of 8110, 8466 and 8458 for a size comparison? I know that here is people who owns all three sets... :wink: I would love to see these models side by side!

Edited by Finntech