The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

18 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:

@NoOneOfImportanceexactly. I think thats more than enough for to keep AFOLs happy.

maybe you are right but I don’t collect Marvel modular sets mysel. I would be happy to have a second regular modular (16x32) which it’s unlikely. Ah well….

Out of curiousity, was the vintage taxi set the first modular GWP? I was told that the flower cat GWP to go with Detective’s Office set in 2015. It makes me wonder if there are more GWPs to go with modular buildings some years ago 

3 minutes ago, Lion King said:

Out of curiousity, was the vintage taxi set the first modular GWP? I was told that the flower cat GWP to go with Detective’s Office set in 2015. It makes me wonder if there are more GWPs to go with modular buildings some years ago 

That is my understanding.  Vintage car (Hotel), Moving Truck (jazz club), and a rumor based on the lifestyle images of a GWP hot dog truck for the Natural History museum (but no evidence that I am aware of).  

Four of the sets included vehicles inside the set itself:  Corner Garage (tow truck), Palace Cinema (vintage car), Diner (pink car), and Fire Brigade (firetruck).

Am I missing anything?

---tom

14 minutes ago, henrysunset said:

That is my understanding.  Vintage car (Hotel), Moving Truck (jazz club), and a rumor based on the lifestyle images of a GWP hot dog truck for the Natural History museum (but no evidence that I am aware of).  

Four of the sets included vehicles inside the set itself:  Corner Garage (tow truck), Palace Cinema (vintage car), Diner (pink car), and Fire Brigade (firetruck).

Am I missing anything?

---tom

I thought I got the 40448: Vintage Car with a modular as well as the 40140: Flower Cart.
But I could be mistaken.

7 minutes ago, lomis said:

I thought I got the 40448: Vintage Car with a modular as well as the 40140: Flower Cart.
But I could be mistaken.

40448: Vintage Car was a LEGO Ideas submission.  It looks great next to the Diner, but the release was not coordinated to the diner.  It actually came out two years later - as a GWP on Jan 1 2021, which is when the Police Station was released.

40140: Flower Cart came out on a Jan 1 (2015), so it would have been a likely bonus when buying a modular.  Stylistically it matches Assembly Square, but that set came out two years later in 2017

Edited by henrysunset

4 minutes ago, henrysunset said:

40448: Vintage Car was a LEGO Ideas submission.  It looks great next to the Diner, but the release was not coordinated to match (as far as I remember).

40140: Flower Cart came out on a Jan 1 (2015), so it would have been a likely bonus when buying a modular.  Stylistically it matches Assembly Square, but that set came out two years later in 2017

Right butit still fits into modular building collection. So  it could make sense that it goes with Detective’s Office set regardless what we got one in Assembly Square. 

Just now, Lion King said:

Right butit still fits into modular building collection. So  it could make sense that it goes with Detective’s Office set regardless what we got one in Assembly Square. 

I think we are getting stuck up on the difference between 'goes well with' and GWP's that were purpose-designed to complement a given year's Modular.  By that definition only the Vintage car and the Moving Truck were GWP's specifically designed to extend a specific modular.

4 minutes ago, henrysunset said:

I think we are getting stuck up on the difference between 'goes well with' and GWP's that were purpose-designed to complement a given year's Modular.  By that definition only the Vintage car and the Moving Truck were GWP's specifically designed to extend a specific modular.

That’s why I asked if Vintage Taxi was the first modular GWP so far. I’m quite unsure if the flower cart GWP was reallly counted as a modular GWP to join the collection.  

I won’t count Ideas GWP as a modular one. 

Since Police Sttion was the first modular to be branded as “Icons”, there is no GWP for it. Boutique Hotel has Vintage Taxi; Jazz Club has Moving Truck; and Natural History Museum would have a hotdog truck.  I’m little surprised we don’t get a old-timely police car for Police Station and/or Natural History Museum.

Anyways, I really like that modular GWP to join the series. 

Talking about GWPs designed specifically to fit with the modulars, the flower cart GWP for detectives office had a barrel of cookies built in, it was actually part of the “smuggling” story.

This museum really looks like it is dwarfed by other modulars, which are taller. What are you guys planning on placing on either side?

I was thinking of placing a park or the botanical garden on either side. But the wide walls would still look bare, unless some climbing plants start creeping up on those walls.

5 hours ago, hikouki said:

This museum really looks like it is dwarfed by other modulars, which are taller. What are you guys planning on placing on either side?

I think it might look good with fire brigade to the left and maybe brick bank to the right

1 hour ago, Ginger Ninja said:

I think it might look good with fire brigade to the left and maybe brick bank to the right

Hmm, perhaps!

I wish there was a site where we can do renders of these modulars and interchange their positions.

15 hours ago, hikouki said:

I was thinking of placing a park or the botanical garden on either side. But the wide walls would still look bare, unless some climbing plants start creeping up on those walls.

I plan to build it centered on two full baseplates which leaves 8-stud-wide alleys on each side. Boutique Hotel with its 3 presentable sides probably looks good on the right side. And at the least swap out all the 1x2 bricks in the side walls with mortar bricks.

Edited by PK82

15 hours ago, hikouki said:

I will see whenever I pick it up, but this may be the modular that benefits from an extra middle floor added. I see a lot of people do this with the Boutique Hotel (I personally did so for the bookshop).

It would add some much needed gravitas, and free up some of the windows hidden by the banners. You could then re-jig the upper floor to not have the gaps and fill it with more exhibits. No more issue with it being dwarfed.

There is some risk of it then becoming a big wall of olive though. I'll have to mock it up in Studio before anything.

3 hours ago, Yoggington said:

I will see whenever I pick it up, but this may be the modular that benefits from an extra middle floor added. I see a lot of people do this with the Boutique Hotel (I personally did so for the bookshop).

It would add some much needed gravitas, and free up some of the windows hidden by the banners. You could then re-jig the upper floor to not have the gaps and fill it with more exhibits. No more issue with it being dwarfed.

There is some risk of it then becoming a big wall of olive though. I'll have to mock it up in Studio before anything.

That would be quite interesting to see. I can see how adding another floor would make the dominant color more imposing.

On 11/12/2023 at 5:59 AM, Ginger Ninja said:

Talking about GWPs designed specifically to fit with the modulars, the flower cart GWP for detectives office had a barrel of cookies built in, it was actually part of the “smuggling” story.

@henrysunset, I guess that’s the first modular GWP.

12 hours ago, Silverhurst said:

I thought 40221 Fountain was the first modular tie-in set back in 2016.

It looks like that set was released in June 2016, no where near a modular release.

5 minutes ago, lomis said:

It looks like that set was released in June 2016, no where near a modular release.

The back of the instructions has the modular buildings on it. It could meant something, but I do not remember how they advertised it back then. 

2 hours ago, mark1991t said:

The back of the instructions has the modular buildings on it. It could meant something, but I do not remember how they advertised it back then.  

The use of a generic minifig face in both these sets also ties them to the Modular Buildings Collection— the Flower Cart and Fountain were the only new sets in those years aside from the corresponding Modular Buildings that didn't use more varied and detailed face prints for their minifigs.

Obviously, since the Modular Buildings Collection began using more detailed face prints itself from 2018 onward, that's no longer a useful signifier of which GWP sets are specifically meant to tie in with the modular street, but it was a very clear signifier at that time!

On 11/12/2023 at 3:43 PM, hikouki said:

I agree, it looks too short.  I have been adding a middle floor to all of my modulars, since Assembly Square.  I have already begun selecting pieces from my collection to add a middle floor to the Museum and then I'll order the rest from Bricklink.  Sometimes, when placing a taller modular next to a shorter one, I install a billboard or posters on the taller modular, so that the sides will not be exposed.

As we approach Christmas season, I notice that Police Station is. Marked as “Last Chance” but not Bookshop and Assembly Square. Both sets are labeled as “Hard to Find”. 

I think Lego is way behind on updating the shopping site, like they haven’t removed Vidiyo, Minions, Xtra, and even Creator Expert (Bookshop and Assembly Square are branded as Creator Expert) from that webpage.