The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

21 hours ago, brickbride said:

I can't see a hospital, honestly.

Hospitals aren't much fun. Especially not for adults who, you'd think, are the main target group. They might work for children playing at doctors and nurses, plus there's a legitimate pedagogical approach there (taking away children's fear of doctors/hospital environments by familiarizing them with those professions and environments through play). So I can see them in City and Friends. But for adults? Many people associate with hospitals memories of pain, sickness, seeing loved ones lying on those hospital beds ... - it's just not something I'd expect a large amount of people would jump at buying. Completionists, sure, who either will get any modular no matter what or who decide that their LEGO city absolutely needs one in order to be as realistic as possible. But many more people will buy what they like, and that's either buildings that evoke fun and pleasant pasttimes (Boutique Hotel, Parisian Restaurant, Book Shop, Pet Shop, Downtown Diner, Palace Cinema, Grand Emporium), or buildings that you tend to feel more neutral about but that at least evoke fun stories (Detective's Office, Brick Bank with the laundromat, Police Station), or have cool architecture (Town Hall). There's probably still people who have negative associations with any of those (say, if your wife had just hired a PI in order to prove your infidelity, or if the bank had refused to give you a loan, or you'd been arrested), but those would be far more uncommon cases.

If LEGO did a hospital, they'd have to absolutely knock it out of the park in order to overcome people's negative associations, and why would they saddle themselves with that sort of burden? There's plenty of other opportunities. A college or railway station, for example, would make AFOLs fondly remember their college days or travels, and could still have architecture every bit as cool.

I do know that at some competitors offer modular hospitals - but those cater to niche markets compared to LEGO, basically filling in the gaps in LEGO's portfolio. If LEGO has a large, world-wide audience, and gives itself only one shot a year at making an expensive building that people should ideally jump at buying, I cannot see them picking a hospital of all things.

I think you are overthinking. I mean, sure, hopsital in realit are not always fun. But in the Lego world, they might be friendly for all ages, in both Friends and City. I think Lego designers could do a modular hopsital something differenl from the reality. Like… visitors paying visit to sick patients, attending a rebaitbant session, an infant ward, a doctor’s office, cafternia, ambulance bay, etc.No surprise that both children and adult watch tv shows or movies that involves hospitals…

I think desginers are able to do something similiar to City and Friends hospital concepts for adults. Police Station is a friendly set for all ages - a thief stealing donuts. No murders, no drugs, nohting else but just a silly chase.

I haven't seen the inside of a hospital in years. Most people don't spend much time in them either. So my perception of them comes primarily from films and TV. For example, Mr. Bean going to have a kettle removed from his hand, Hattie Jacques as the strict Matron, and Ken & Alan's wheeze to get a TV into the men's ward to watch the football - all lighthearted fun. On top of which there is the potential for many interesting builds - operating theatres, examination rooms, x-rays etc.

Besides, this guy really needs patching up:

image.jpeg.c61fff0b17fe66b8572d0a389dcfd140.jpeg

I’m pretty sure it’s not only Post Office that it’s past time… Hospital, School are too!

Ok, så here's my list of things that would be interesting to include in future modular buildings:

• Antiques shop (with references back to older themes, like helmets, flags, etc.)
  • Concert hall/venue
  • Spa/bath house
  • Gym (could be in combination with above)
  • School/High school/University building
  • Chinese/Indian/sushi restaurant
  • Hospital/clinic
  • Toy store
  • Jewellery store
  • Sporting goods/outdoor store
  • Beauty shop/perfume shop
  • Newspaper office with printer
  • Library
  • Train station (for an anniversary)
  • Transformed old factory (to e.g. a coffee roaster and café or something)
  • Animal shelter
  • Tropicarium
  • Courthouse
  • Park with pavillion (2 32x32 plates wide)

Some architecture styles that I haven't seen yet that would be interesting:

• Art nouveau
  • Cast iron (like in NY's SoHo)
  • Industrial
  • Modernist
  • Gothic revival

47 minutes ago, Jiesdeo said:

Ok, så here's my list of things that would be interesting to include in future modular buildings:

• Antiques shop (with references back to older themes, like helmets, flags, etc.)
  • Concert hall/venue
  • Spa/bath house
  • Hospital/clinic
  • Toy store
  • Jewellery store
  • Library
  • Animal shelter
  • Tropicarium
  • Courthouse

• Art nouveau
  • Industrial
  • Modernist
  • Gothic revival

One you didn't mention that I personally think could be cool would be something like a hardware store (with building materials, tools, etc. for sale). I feel like that would also pair well story-wise with some other subjects, such as maybe a house or business next door being built or renovated.

5 hours ago, Jiesdeo said:

• Concert hall/venue
  • Spa/bath house
  • Hospital/clinic
  • Toy store
  • Jewellery store
  • Library
  • Animal shelter
  • Tropicarium
  • Courthouse

• Art nouveau
  • Industrial
  • Modernist
  • Gothic revival

We do have a gym in Downtown Diner but. I don’t mind havin another gym, this time it should be a bit bigger with more equipment, like treadmills, etc. As for Chinese/indian/Japaese restaurant, I am in favor for it with some archictural styles.

all other places you mentioned are always past time (including Post Office….). 

1 hour ago, Lion King said:

We do have a gym in Downtown Diner but. I don’t mind havin another gym, this time it should be a bit bigger with more equipment, like treadmills, etc. As for Chinese/indian/Japaese restaurant, I am in favor for it with some archictural styles.

all other places you mentioned are always past time (including Post Office….). 

I always saw the gym in the DTD as a pure boxing gym, so yes, a more modern all-purpose gym is what I had in mind.

48 minutes ago, Jiesdeo said:

I always saw the gym in the DTD as a pure boxing gym, so yes, a more modern all-purpose gym is what I had in mind.

Agreed. 

On 4/11/2024 at 2:05 PM, Lion King said:

I think you are overthinking. I mean, sure, hopsital in realit are not always fun. But in the Lego world, they might be friendly for all ages, in both Friends and City. I think Lego designers could do a modular hopsital something differenl from the reality. Like… visitors paying visit to sick patients, attending a rebaitbant session, an infant ward, a doctor’s office, cafternia, ambulance bay, etc.No surprise that both children and adult watch tv shows or movies that involves hospitals…

I think desginers are able to do something similiar to City and Friends hospital concepts for adults. Police Station is a friendly set for all ages - a thief stealing donuts. No murders, no drugs, nohting else but just a silly chase.

The difference, in my opinion, is that most people think of the police as "cool" or "friends and helpers", and of crime as fairly removed from their lives. LEGO isn't marketing their sets to bank robbers or any other target groups who can be expected to have a standard negative reaction to the presence of law enforcement.

I also don't think it's a coincidence that more than half the modulars so far have dealt with what I would classify as leisure and entertainment, including a whopping FOUR restaurants so far (Café Corner, Downtown Diner, and Parisian Restaurant, plus the Jazz Club/Pizzeria). Clearly subject appeal matters!

But we'll see. If the next modular is something along the lines of Hospital or Funeral Parlour or anything else people could be expected to have overwhelmingly negative associations with in real life, I will gladly concede your point.

1 hour ago, brickbride said:

The difference, in my opinion, is that most people think of the police as "cool" or "friends and helpers", and of crime as fairly removed from their lives. LEGO isn't marketing their sets to bank robbers or any other target groups who can be expected to have a standard negative reaction to the presence of law enforcement.

I also don't think it's a coincidence that more than half the modulars so far have dealt with what I would classify as leisure and entertainment, including a whopping FOUR restaurants so far (Café Corner, Downtown Diner, and Parisian Restaurant, plus the Jazz Club/Pizzeria). Clearly subject appeal matters!

But we'll see. If the next modular is something along the lines of Hospital or Funeral Parlour or anything else people could be expected to have overwhelmingly negative associations with in real life, I will gladly concede your point.

Sure, law enforcers are bad in our world. But no guns included in Polcie Station. 

Fire fighter, police officer, and doctor/parameidc ae easily recognizable within our communities - they are emergency services. Most of AFOL s have been asking for hospitals for years. I think Lego is able to do Hopsital just like they did with hospital sets in Freinds and City, in the same way they did Police Station, in City’s fashion for police sets. I now’t expect Funeral House or Morgue becuase they are marked with a red, big, fat “NO” for Lego to do. Strange enough, Lego has doen graveyards in Hidden Side and Harry Poter themes. 

If they do a hospital there will be space for how many beds? Two? One? And given that the modulars don't appear to set in a time more modern than 1950 (with the computer screen in Town Hall being the exception to prove the rule), they would have a devilish time trying to recreate a hospital with the 70 year old kit and approaches they had then, and miss out on all the things people consider to be a hospital now. But a GP/family practitioner's office would be much easier to pull of. A receptionist, waiting area, consulting room, would all work nicely in the 1920-1950 time scale and still be recognizable today. And it would only take up one floor, giving them flexibility to do other things. Perhaps it could be a community health centre, with an opticians and dentist on the other levels.

I didn’t know there were Modular Building Add-On Packs (via PaB) until today. There are three packs - Construciton Site, Winter Scene, and Vending Station (the first pack is “out of stock”). Those packs look pretty cool to me but I will like to ask you. What are your thoughts on them? I don’t think we had talked about them here…

On 4/15/2024 at 8:58 AM, RichardGoring said:

If they do a hospital there will be space for how many beds? Two? One? And given that the modulars don't appear to set in a time more modern than 1950 (with the computer screen in Town Hall being the exception to prove the rule), they would have a devilish time trying to recreate a hospital with the 70 year old kit and approaches they had then, and miss out on all the things people consider to be a hospital now. But a GP/family practitioner's office would be much easier to pull of. A receptionist, waiting area, consulting room, would all work nicely in the 1920-1950 time scale and still be recognizable today. And it would only take up one floor, giving them flexibility to do other things. Perhaps it could be a community health centre, with an opticians and dentist on the other levels.

Thats what I was thinking too. If they'd do a hospitalnif would have to be the samensize as the Museum and since we already got one thay size I don't think it'll happen anytime soon. But an emergency style or general practice of medice would work.

3 hours ago, Lion King said:

I didn’t know there were Modular Building Add-On Packs (via PaB) until today. There are three packs - Construciton Site, Winter Scene, and Vending Station (the first pack is “out of stock”). Those packs look pretty cool to me but I will like to ask you. What are your thoughts on them? I don’t think we had talked about them here…

I wasn't that impressed when the released them. They seem like fairly basic builds and nothing exciting about them, or particularly complementary to the modulars, other than the 16x32 baseplate and sidewalk format. They also feel expensive for what they are.

4 hours ago, Lion King said:

Haven't seen those, where did you find them on PaB? I'm only seeing baseplates under the addons section...

They're really tough to find by clicking around the Lego website, if I remember right I could only see them with the EN-GB locale enabled and there was no page pointing to them, you just had to know the set's number and search for that on PaB.  I think the concept of selling all parts for a set through PaB is still in beta.

If I remember they are fairly simple builds that can be easily modified to make them what you want so I just downloaded the instructions.  I'm sure I have enough random bricks to be able to replicate them without purchasing all new parts.  

11 hours ago, capathmo said:

Haven't seen those, where did you find them on PaB? I'm only seeing baseplates under the addons section...

Here is the link. You will see the hyperlinked packs thre that lead you directly to PaB.d

https://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-modular-building-collection-add-ons-on-pick-a-brick/

11 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

I wasn't that impressed when the released them. They seem like fairly basic builds and nothing exciting about them, or particularly complementary to the modulars, other than the 16x32 baseplate and sidewalk format. They also feel expensive for what they are.

Yeah they look pretty basic to me but Ithink it’s a mix and match within modular buildings. And it’s PaB, I think you are able to change your order. If it’s expnsive, just build a list and take it to Bricklink or Brick Owl for a possibly lower price. 

I would like to try this for myself and experiment it with my modular buildings tho. So i will place Vending Station order. 

Thanks everyone for the links, with your help I was able to find them. I don't think I'll be ordering any, as I probably have enough bricks to build them myself, but an awesome idea none-the-less.  It'll be interesting to see if they suggest any more, officially, in the future.

On 4/17/2024 at 12:03 PM, capathmo said:

Thanks everyone for the links, with your help I was able to find them. I don't think I'll be ordering any, as I probably have enough bricks to build them myself, but an awesome idea none-the-less.  It'll be interesting to see if they suggest any more, officially, in the future.

I would be interested to see if they suggest some more like this as well! I think it’s a great idea to expand our modular cities by adding those to streets. It’s kinda hard to find those three on PaB webpage so I prefer them to be offical sets. I will buy one of them soon and see how it can fit into my city and maybe modify it. 

With that modular Winter Scene it makes me more curious to see some winter-themed modular building set.