The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I suspect this is not a majority opinion, but I personally think Lego should end the modular buildings line. Perhaps even without another release.

While some themes have a certain type of timelessness, the one-per-annum schedule has not allowed for the variety and diversity required for that to happen with the modular buildings. There is nothing wrong with such a schedule per se. To the contrary, I think it kept the theme fresh and exciting; for a time. However, the weakness of such infrequency is that each release must measure up against many of the other sets, elements, and building techniques that emerge in between. In this sense, I think the schedule forced the theme into the law of diminishing returns.

Second, I also wonder about the longevity of the appeal of the general construction process. They are largely similar: 32 x 32 baseplate (with the exception of assembly square), a good percentage of steps being basic brick stacking, others being repetitive (e.g. window replication) and some steps being almost, if not completely, identical (such as the sidewalk/pavement between sets). All large sets will, of course, have some repetition, but for the modular buildings, across a theme and the stages within each set, it seems especially prevalent.

Furthermore, I don’t think the format offers as much to the essence of Lego generally as it once did. New elements and colours can be introduced in any set of any theme or size, and I think the increasing variety of models in 18+ themes – replicas, cars, flowers, etc. – offer much more variation and inspiration in terms of what can be done with Lego system (and technic) pieces.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, I feel the modular buildings are losing their charm. In their first decade, they had a superb fusion of the imaginary “Lego world”, the real world, and humour pertaining to both. Recently, I feel a lot of that has focus seems to have been on “easter eggs,” and most notably nods to previous sets in the theme. I don’t mean to sound negative, but when a theme starts moving down a path of becoming a tribute to itself, to me that indicates a lack of creativity.

When I look at Police Station (10278), I see a large tan building much more than I see originality. The Jazz Club appears, at least to me, like Fire Brigade (10197) merged onto a larger, yellower version of the old 90s city sets (in particular Breezeway Café, 6376).

There’s nothing “wrong” with any of this of course, and these sets do offer some nice things and enjoyment. But, set against the creativity, humour, and charm of the earlier days of the modular buildings, they seem rather flat and unexciting. The Boutique Hotel is something different and has some good aspects, but, at least to me, has shown the basic formula of a modular building can no longer produce something greater than the sum of its parts. For me, I think that’s what all Lego sets should offer – especially the more expensive sets.

All the same, the most important thing is that people continue to enjoy them.

Edited by Dufflefan
grammar

1 hour ago, Dufflefan said:

I suspect this is not a majority opinion, but I personally think Lego should end the modular buildings line. Perhaps even without another release.

This belongs in the un-popular opinion thread.

• I love that they generally fit on a 32x32.
  • I love once a year.
  • I disagree that they are loosing charm, loosing quality from the hay days maybe.
  • I have every singe one (have not built the jazz yet. << may give fuel to your arguments :)

I wish Lego would do a modular type castle wall segment every year. Boring wall on the back but a lively building on the wall inside. I would buy that!

1 hour ago, Follows Closely said:

This belongs in the un-popular opinion thread.

• I love that they generally fit on a 32x32.
  • I love once a year.
  • I disagree that they are loosing charm, loosing quality from the hay days maybe.
  • I have every singe one (have not built the jazz yet. << may give fuel to your arguments :)

Although I’m a new collector, I do agree with what you said! I bought all six Modular Buildings this year ( Police Station, Boutqiue Hotel, Jazz Club, Bookshop, Corner Garage, and Downtown Diner) and I have finsihed building the first two. Still building Jazz Club. All three buildings do have thier own charms and their building techniques are surely refreshing! It makes  sense that they do one buidling per year so I don’t see anything that lack of creativity.  

Say, i don’t want Lego to end Modular Building subtheme…

@Follows Closely, @Lion King, @BrickFit26

I thought it might be unpopular! Haha.

What you say is completely fair. If you and others are enjoying them, then that's great and is what counts most.

I just don't want to see the theme end up like a sitcom where it becomes formulated and flat. For me, in creative terms, I just see the concept beginning to dip and fold into itself rather than remaining forward-looking.

In fairness to the modular buildings, my opinion isn't solely limited to the theme. I also feel a general uneasiness about the direction of other, though by no means all, adult-focused sets. I personally don't understand sets like Eiffel Tower (10307) and Lieherr Crawler Crane (42146). I have not built either, so it would be wrong to talk about them in terms of building experience, but their size, price, and color schemes feel impractical and unappealing. To the contrary, I think Lego have done a superb job in recent years with things they have traditionally struggled with, most notably animals (at various scales). While I understand the mindset and goals are very different between themes such as Creator 3-in-1 and the modular buildings, I just think those design teams have done a better job in recent years relative to what they wanted to, and could, achieve. At least as best I can say as a consumer with no insider knowledge.

For me, I feel the modular buildings were once a (or the) benchmark of Lego's creativity across all themes and products, now I feel that has switched to other things in the Icons range. For me, they just don't capture my interest as other sets are now doing. That's a personal preference thing of course, and perhaps that's all it is. There is certainly nothing "wrong" with the modular buildings as they are and this isn't to say they aren't good.

Ultimately, it's great there are people are enjoying them and that's what's most important.

Hey folks! I have a quick quesiton. While I built Jazz Club, I noticed a small stage on the ground floor more wobbly / rattling when i put minifigures on it. Does it happen to you? 

Isn't the Assembly Square going to be discontinued soon? Could this mean we might get another modular that would be bigger than just 32x32? I think that would be great!

2 hours ago, hikouki said:

Isn't the Assembly Square going to be discontinued soon? Could this mean we might get another modular that would be bigger than just 32x32? I think that would be great!

Assembly Square, Bookshop and Police Station are scheduled for their EOL this year. 

We still ahve Boutique Hotel and Jazz Club on shelves so the 2024 modular building will be added to the shelves in January.  It’s three modular buildings in total. 

Personally, I doubt they will do a bigger modular building after Assembly Square’s retirement… it would make a lot of sense for a 20th anniversary set (2027). 

9 hours ago, jonwil said:

Surprised assembly square was kept around so long.

I'm thinking it was a good way in for new collectors. If you got AS you basically had a small street already, even more so if you combined it with the bookshop. 

19 hours ago, hikouki said:

I heard a first rumor which says the modular will contain 4014 pieces. And another one which says its on two baseplates.

Just random Internet rumours so might be all wrong and not really reliable at this point. 

2 hours ago, Kallego said:

I heard a first rumor which says the modular will contain 4014 pieces. And another one which says its on two baseplates.

Just random Internet rumours so might be all wrong and not really reliable at this point. 

Last night, I read BrickFantatic article and the design team said bigger modular buildings are not off the able. I am assuming the writer is speculating or sharing their opinion.  

2 hours ago, Lion King said:

Last night, I read BrickFantatic article and the design team said bigger modular buildings are not off the able. I am assuming the writer is speculating or sharing their opinion.  

I often feel that 95% of Brick Fanatics articles are speculation or opinion based on very little. They are very good at writing click bait and churning out loads for Google to scan through and push as news. I'm sure they're very nice people, but the site comes across as spammy and a waste of time.

5 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

I often feel that 95% of Brick Fanatics articles are speculation or opinion based on very little. They are very good at writing click bait and churning out loads for Google to scan through and push as news. I'm sure they're very nice people, but the site comes across as spammy and a waste of time.

Yup. And I kinda believed that larger moduar buidlings will happen some days, according to the Lego design team, not the Brick Fanatics writers themselves. 

Edited by Lion King

10 hours ago, Kallego said:

7 hours ago, Lion King said:

5 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

I don't want to propagate rumors but how could Lego pull off a double baseplate modular? I mean what type of building could it be? I can't imagine it being an actual blocky building, but instead something spread sideways. Perhaps a stadium? Nah, we have so many of those football stadia already. Gym, school, park? I think if they go for a double baseplate, it could probably be some building/s that include an extensive outdoor area, that way they still keep the piece count lower (and the price within the historic range). This is just my guess. So perhaps a building with a flea market, or a school with a play area, or a hospital with an ambulance receiving area, or a condominium with a park. Who knows?

Not jsut a larger modular building with two baseplates rumor. There is another rumor. It’s an inverted building aka “inside corner” buidling. However, I don’t think it’s rumor. It is more like a speculation among Modular fans on other website, like Brickset. I dont’ think I will look into it too much then. 

The Boutique Hotel was just amazing. The one that followed it was just meh. Hoping this year we'll see something grand or novel.

Honestly, as much as the Assembly square may be outdated, it is a good source of parts! They could perhaps just retire the Jazz Club. LOL I think having the Jazz Club may prevent Lego from releasing, say a concert hall or theater.

On 8/20/2023 at 12:29 AM, Dufflefan said:

I just don't want to see the theme end up like a sitcom where it becomes formulated and flat. For me, in creative terms, I just see the concept beginning to dip and fold into itself rather than remaining forward-looking.

Lego is ultimately a for-profit company, and is driven by business decisions. In interviews, designers have often said that they are given a theme, subject matter and budget to follow. In most cases, market research decides what kind of set people want and what they're willing to pay, and then the set is created around that. Call me skeptical, but I think it will take a bit of stagnation before the modular line is reinvented - just like Marvel movies, they'll keep milking it for a while until people stop buying it. Look at the City theme - how many years did it become a dumping ground of police cars and police stations before it got rejuvenated?

That's also why I don't think a double modular will happen. Designers have said that the modular line should be something that people can look forward to yearly and still be relatively affordable. If anything, Lego may release a building outside of the annual modular release cycle which is compatible with modulars - think Sanctum Sanctorum and Daily Bugle. That gives people the option to enhance their city, while not feeling like Lego is deliberately forcing them to spend money to be a completionist.

On 8/20/2023 at 12:29 AM, Dufflefan said:

In fairness to the modular buildings, my opinion isn't solely limited to the theme. I also feel a general uneasiness about the direction of other, though by no means all, adult-focused sets. I personally don't understand sets like Eiffel Tower (10307) and Lieherr Crawler Crane (42146). I have not built either, so it would be wrong to talk about them in terms of building experience, but their size, price, and color schemes feel impractical and unappealing. To the contrary, I think Lego have done a superb job in recent years with things they have traditionally struggled with, most notably animals (at various scales). While I understand the mindset and goals are very different between themes such as Creator 3-in-1 and the modular buildings, I just think those design teams have done a better job in recent years relative to what they wanted to, and could, achieve. At least as best I can say as a consumer with no insider knowledge.

I've been uneasy at Lego's strategy for 2 reasons, one similar and one different.

First, the adult-focused sets look more like intricate 3D jigsaw puzzles than a modular, rebuildable construction toy. This sounds to me like a decision made partially in a corporate boardroom: "If we have a paradigm shift and get people to consider these as display pieces, we can sell more product - consumers using the same pieces to build different things doesn't earn us any money".

Second, I'm seeing a significantly wider range of colors and pieces in lego's inventory than ever. I appreciate the detail that the new pieces bring, but again I can't help but feel it goes against the philosophy of reusable, modular pieces. Sure, set designers will come up with a few clever ways to use certain parts, but it's significantly more restrictive than tiles, snot pieces, etc.

@hikouki I think if they went the route of a big modular like AS or even a double modular it would have to be something big like a Hospital and a it wouldn't need to take up the entire big plates. Some of the space could be used for an ambulance emergency entry way or alley way.

@Dufflefan I understand. Something else I think they should keep doing more of is to take more risky architectural designs like they did with BH, even though I heard it was tough to keep in budget, and they need to keep pushing more detail.

@OccamsRazor I dont think a big modular will happen until another anniversary.

On 8/18/2023 at 8:52 PM, RichardGoring said:

A jewellers or watchmaker might make a nice little business in a modular though.

Totally agree, and this would tie into the proposal and wedding ‘theme’ running through a few of the modulars. (Town hall, assembly square and Parisian restaurant I think)

8 hours ago, jus1973 said:

Totally agree, and this would tie into the proposal and wedding ‘theme’ running through a few of the modulars. (Town hall, assembly square and Parisian restaurant I think)

Including a gay couple, please

On 8/25/2023 at 2:30 PM, Lion King said:

I personally wouldn't mind that, but it would be a bit obvious, and lego already came under fire this year just because lego friends got more diverse. Though a friends set last year did Include two characters (Trevor and Joshua) who are heavily implied to be gay

But me personally, I have no problem if lego Included a gay couple in a modular set

On 8/25/2023 at 2:30 PM, Lion King said:

No. Just no. Include some cool minifigures and let each fan tell their own story in their own setup. If you prefer LGBTQ stories you're free to make your own. If you want to make religious, political, even a Darwinian storyline, or any other personal interest go for it. But Lego should not dictate storyline issues that could be controversial. Part of the joy of Lego is how unique it is for each person. Make yours unique without asking Lego to choose a viewpoint and dictate it to the whole community. 

3 hours ago, fordtruckin said:

No. Just no. Include some cool minifigures and let each fan tell their own story in their own setup. If you prefer LGBTQ stories you're free to make your own. If you want to make religious, political, even a Darwinian storyline, or any other personal interest go for it. But Lego should not dictate storyline issues that could be controversial. Part of the joy of Lego is how unique it is for each person. Make yours unique without asking Lego to choose a viewpoint and dictate it to the whole community. 

You are right! Like the straight couple in the Parisian Restaurant. And they had the audacity to push the marriage proposal story! How political! LEGO has no shame!!!

3 hours ago, street87 said:

You are right! Like the straight couple in the Parisian Restaurant. And they had the audacity to push the marriage proposal story! How political! LEGO has no shame!!!

Straight couples are not controversial. That's literally how humanity has populated the earth for thousands of years. All I'm saying is don't Dylan Mulvaney Lego. 

If your worldview is so fragile that it requires validation from others, especially businesses whose goal is to make money not coddle peoples preferences then perhaps you should reconsider your worldview. 

Why does sexual preference have to have any significance in Lego. Why couldn't the couple be close friends or siblings or coworkers on a business trip enjoying a night out on the company dime.