The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

12 minutes ago, MJLJ said:

Personally I think this is a red herring. The Pine shelf and brown wallpaper….. Not to mention the rooftop green house with no glass.  If this is real I’ll eat my Lego collection.  Praying its not real. Keep the sign, that’s good! 

Could be. The buildings in the photograph have many askew structures. The letters in the jazz sign are not appropriately aligned. The roof on the 'pizzeria' is tilted, the umbrella on the table is crooked. The baseplates don't look consistent across the buildings. The color scheme is absolutely bonkers. Either that or you have to ask what were they thinking.

19 minutes ago, MJLJ said:

Personally I think this is a red herring. The Pine shelf and brown wallpaper….. Not to mention the rooftop green house with no glass.  If this is real I’ll eat my Lego collection.  Praying its not real. Keep the sign, that’s good! 

Can I have your Lego collection instead? It definitely looks real and it'd be a shame for all your Lego to go to waste (not to mention your stomach will thank you).

26 minutes ago, 24nolf said:

I think it's difficult for many folks to "like" this set based on previous modulars, recent Bricklink designer sets and Lego Ideas submissions. 

Just look at how fun and full of life these sets are for example and then compare to this new set:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/d877ae63-11e8-4e20-ac19-97c72ebe25c6

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/8999c95a-f144-4dce-9e69-651ae3b5f9bb

https://www.bricklink.com/r3/designer-program/designer-sets-for-adult-fans-of-lego/215741/Retro-Bowling-Alley

https://www.bricklink.com/v3/designer-program/designer-sets-for-adult-fans-of-lego/215680/Venetian-Houses

I see the point you're making, and I don't judge those who dislike it. But I will say out of the examples you showed (all pretty cool actually) the color scheme of this one would look great next to the Bowling alley imo! 

I see what folks are saying about the ‘greenhouse’ on the roof of the second building.  I’m not certain it’s a pizza place.  The sign says Tailor, with a pin, and the guy in front is holding scissors.  This suggests a proper tailors shop.  Maybe he’s upstairs above a little pizza takeaway place or something?  At least it’s looking like 3 different ‘themes’ for the build, like the police station (police, donut shop & newspaper stand). Still not sold on that darker blue.  Would be better in a lighter shade.

I think it's the real set. It does look like a MOC, and it's underwhelming.

It has a couple recolored pieces, that's what (to me) confirms that this is the real set: a green scooter and part 1745: Plate, Round 1 x 2 Half with 1 Stud (Jumper) in LBG.

===== ====== ======

I think we now know why TLG is waiting so loooong for an official reveal:

They feel ashamed of what they came up with :laugh:

I think changing the light blue to a darker gray makes the build look much better. Should be simple too since the bricks don't appear to be too complex. 

Edited by Froog27
I read someone's message wrong

20 minutes ago, 24nolf said:

The faux wood grain background gives me pause since that was a 2010ish look

I figured it was just a pine bookshelf? To a scandi it doesn't look that weird. We do love our unfinished wood... 

First impressions are, I love it! I’m happy we’re seeing more buildings on one baseplate, even at the expense of square footage. Like the Police Station, having multiple buildings(set back from each other too) adds a nice view to a Street & makes it look more alive. The blue on the bottom of the jazz club is an interesting choice...but we’ll see. The stand up bass is nice & I'm digging the singer, as far as I can see her at least. 

Bring on hi-res photos! :moar:

15 minutes ago, 1992pb said:

I think it's the real set. It does look like a MOC, and it's underwhelming.

It has a couple recolored pieces, that's what (to me) confirms that this is the real set: a green scooter and part 1745: Plate, Round 1 x 2 Half with 1 Stud (Jumper) in LBG.

===== ====== ======

I think we now know why TLG is waiting so loooong for an official reveal:

They feel ashamed of what they came up with :laugh:

Damn. That probably settles it. 

I don't understand how this idea was chosen and how this is the "best" version of said idea. Dumbfounded. 

What bothers me the most is the choice of minifigures - many parts of the Jazz ensemble are missing. I would have expected at least a saxophonist as the peace for the instrument already exists. And the poster in the right window shows a trumpeter we don't get either which makes me even more sad. 

The color scheme however works completely fine for me. In color theory, red, blue and yellow build a triadic color combination which works out very well in fashion for example!

3 minutes ago, 8fifty said:

What bothers me the most is the choice of minifigures - many parts of the Jazz ensemble are missing. I would have expected at least a saxophonist as the peace for the instrument already exists. And the poster in the right window shows a trumpeter we don't get either which makes me even more sad. 

The color scheme however works completely fine for me. In color theory, red, blue and yellow build a triadic color combination which works out very well in fashion for example!

My roommate is a trumpet player and that's the part that makes him mad about the set, we don't even get the loud pretzel in there! 

6 minutes ago, Elysiumfountain said:

My roommate is a trumpet player and that's the part that makes him mad about the set, we don't even get the loud pretzel in there! 

Haha, loud pretzel 😂 I've never heard that expression but as a former trumpet player I really love it, thank you for that! 😁

I'm sure  in one or two days we'll get the official pictures from TLG. I'm more interested in that interior now, it must be great. 

6 minutes ago, 8fifty said:

Haha, loud pretzel 😂 I've never heard that expression but as a former trumpet player I really love it, thank you for that! 😁

Of course! It came from a book I read somewhere, but it got incorporated into the lingo in our household, along with "toot the bad cone" (also from the same quote excerpt). 

25 minutes ago, 8fifty said:

Completely agree!

I don't know if anyone else pointed this out but initially I thought there were 7 figures, but in the larger picture there's a blond woman running after a rabbit in front of the bookshop. That's probably the magician!

Hmm not sure about this one. Kind of meh-ish. It feels like something already seen 

-------------

1 hour ago, jus1973 said:

I see what folks are saying about the ‘greenhouse’ on the roof of the second building.  I’m not certain it’s a pizza place.  The sign says Tailor, with a pin, and the guy in front is holding scissors.  This suggests a proper tailors shop.  Maybe he’s upstairs above a little pizza takeaway place or something?  At least it’s looking like 3 different ‘themes’ for the build, like the police station (police, donut shop & newspaper stand). Still not sold on that darker blue.  Would be better in a lighter shade.

The is a chef there and a table with chairs. 

Nice to see that Lego have done a MOC  of their own 10184 Town Plan Cinema! :pir_tong2:

(I'm sure they will call it a tribute)

Or maybe this is meant to be the old town plan cinema being refurbished for modern Times... 

IIRC it's actually the 15th year anniversary of 10184- so seems legit, there's also too many part recolours to be fake, but pretty disappointing so far, I've been less enthusiastic about a few recent modulars but ended up getting them after a while. This one... well I own 10184 and it was actually the set that got my out of my dark ages, I've since modded the cinema build myself so this would be a bit repetitive. 

town plan reminder

Just noticed that the book shop set shown next to the pizza shop is missing a piece on the roof. Probably just an oversight by LEGO, but could give some credence to this being a fake, as you wouldn't expect a company of their size to be making errors like that.

4 minutes ago, Captain Settle said:

Just noticed that the book shop set shown next to the pizza shop is missing a piece on the roof. Probably just an oversight by LEGO, but could give some credence to this being a fake, as you wouldn't expect a company of their size to be making errors like that.

Errors in photos are nothing new, at either Lego or their competitors. Part of that has to do with the complexity of getting a set built, assembled, and brought to the studio—especially for lifestyle photos like these which would likely be done at an external location (instead of an in-house photo studio) and with limited input from the set designers themselves.

Might tune out of discussion of this set because I'm already not too fond of the negativity that's surfacing—the usual accusations of laziness or shame as if this isn't something somebody (don't know which designer yet) put a lot of work into. Hopefully when the full reveal happens and we aren't working from one leaked photo the discussion will get a little more evenhanded and considerate...

24 minutes ago, jonahtron said:

Nice to see that Lego have done a MOC  of their own 10184 Town Plan Cinema! :pir_tong2:

(I'm sure they will call it a tribute)

Or maybe this is meant to be the old town plan cinema being refurbished for modern Times... 

IIRC it's actually the 15th year anniversary of 10184- so seems legit, there's also too many part recolours to be fake, but pretty disappointing so far, I've been less enthusiastic about a few recent modulars but ended up getting them after a while. This one... well I own 10184 and it was actually the set that got my out of my dark ages, I've since modded the cinema build myself so this would be a bit repetitive. 

town plan reminder

It's funny you mentioned Town Plan because this set is a mix of Town Plan+Fire Brigade/Ghostbusters Firehouse which was immediately why I thought this must be a Moc.

There is also no brickwork and exterior railing which are hallmarks of New Orleans. This is closer to what I would expect from the subject matter: