ShaydDeGrai

The pros and cons of being an exhibitor

I don't know if this belongs in General Discussions or somewhere in Community, but...

In the past year I've gotten numerous queries by people wanting to see some of my MOCs in person. They ask if I'm going to be at this show or that expo and, up to now, my answer has always been 'no' because attending would involve air travel and trusting my MOCs to either postal services or baggage handlers. This year, however, there's going to be a show (Brickfair New England) happening about an hours drive from my house so the question of getting me or my MOCs there really isn't an issue. It did, however, get me thinking about all the other issues of attending such an event as an exhibitor.

I'm not a member of any LUG and, while I've dropped in on a couple events from time to time, I've never been on the other side of the table before. I'm trying to decide if I should give it a go, but I don't even know if I'm asking myself the right questions.

SO, I thought I'd see if there were any experienced exhibitors out there willing to share their war stories. What is it like behind the scenes? Have you had issues with damage or theft? Are there (general) logistical issues to consider when planning to attend a show as an exhibitor? Have you ever regretted bringing (or not bringing) MOCs to an event? Did you have fun?

I'll probably be _attending_ the event in any case, I could just use a bit more insight to help me decide if I want to be more than just a spectator.

I went to my first Lego event back in October. I had my nerves about me, but I had joined a LUG and that helps drastically. I must say I thoroughly enjoyed my time there! My girlfriend even had a really good time there too. We went for 2 days. I only had one Star Wars moc of a UCS sized AT-AT, but even just my one moc was really well received by the public. Of course I was worried about little fingers but that soon went away as there were an aweful lot of people around and everyone seemed to be very well behaved there. It was interesting watching the little fingers start getting inquisitive and you could see the parents watching them then soon as they got to a point, they'd be straight on their kid pulling them away!

It was very interesting for me personally because I had only just finished the moc, it was my first ever real moc and I loved peoples comments on it, good or bad, it just made me feel like I had achieved something. Whereas I wouldn't get that feeling if it just sat at my house all day.

Join a LUG, get to know other exhibitors going, and buddy up with someone if you can. It relieves stress quite a lot as you don't feel so alone.

Long story short:

Don't hold back!

I went to my first Lego event back in October...

Join a LUG, get to know other exhibitors going, and buddy up with someone if you can. It relieves stress quite a lot as you don't feel so alone.

Long story short:

Don't hold back!

I'm quite interested in knowing more about this as well with similar questions you've answered. What would be recommended if there aren't any LUGs locally, or in my state (West Virginia) for that matter? I know there are many in Ohio, which isn't too far from me :classic:

I've never done a show personally, but I read that Lego exhibitors got 30% off at the nearest Lego stores, but I recently read an article that said that Lego wasn't doing that anymore.

I have never taken part in an exhibition before but I have been asked to display some of my stuff in a local store, not just LEGO either as I have a large collection of wargaming models all painted up to a reasonable standard.

I have always shied away from it though as 1: I am worried about sticky fingers. 2: I am not sure parents from what I have seen locally have that much control over their children. 3: I am not sure some parents have that much control of their own fingers and pockets! 4: I am always concerned that in a crowded constrained place there is a huge risk of accidental damage and who would want to pay for it? Certainly not the customers and probably not the store? 5: I am always a bit worried that lots of people will claim it is rubbish compared to their own and keep putting me down in public.6: whilst probably not so much of an issue with the wargaming stuff, but certainly with LEGO MOCs, no matter how good they are people at large would have a dim view of an adult male 'playing' as they would see it, with a kids toy and what sinister dark secret was I hiding and as such remarks would be made and fingers pointed. That is probably the biggest one actually. Whilst people close to me know I have always had LEGO ever since I was a kid and in fact I am trying to build accurate models (Especially trains.) and nothing untoward is going on at all.

Do it man. :P

If it's any consolaton, I'll be at BF NE as well. I'm the Movie/Sci-Fi/Space theme leader.

-Omi

I started doing shows back in 2002, and right now I trie to do 1 show a year for my local LUG, namely BeLug . :laugh: Those guys are lots of fun and make it really worth while for me !!

Public wise I had my share , fun people , nasty one's and everything inbetween ! :wacko: I never ever lost a brick to a member of the public, even doing LEGOWorld from 2002 till 2006, it's a lot of stress, wearing you down to the bone, but totaly worth it !! Meeting new people and bonding with other members is great !! Each meeting I have feels like coming home , Xmass and my birthday :laugh: . Lots of fun !!

So YES ! you should do it, take the effort of meeting up with your LEGO-peers and have fun !! Mayby you're the next president of your local LUG !!

grtz Saint

I had a layout set up at Brickworld last year, which was my first time. I was very impressed how respectful everyone was to each other and I felt very comfortable leaving my stuff unattended. When the doors opened for the public I was much more watchful, but never had anyone try to touch anything. The fun I had completely blew away any stress or doubts, and I am looking forward to displaying this year. I highly recommend setting up a public display if you can- it's worth it!

I've never had parts stolen from my MOCs at Brickfair Virginia. Overall, the risk of theft is somewhat minimal as long as you have someone at the table keeping an eye on the MOCs, which Brickfair seems to do a good job with. Since I usually go with my family, it's never even difficult to have someone to watch the MOCs, since family members often need to take a break and get off their feet after a certain amount of time wandering the show floor and during that time they can "chaperone" the MOCs. And even if you don't have family with you, chances are some of the registered attendees will have family with THEM or will be willing to watch the MOCs themselves.

Parts most likely to get stolen are probably minifigures. Brickfair sets up stanchions to keep the public a certain distance from the tables where MOCs are displayed, and the amount of reported theft has gone down significantly at the Virginia event over the past few years. But if you are displaying a highly-desirable minifigure close to the edge of the table, you're taking a risk. If a minifigure is well-integrated into the display it will be a lot harder for it to "wander off".

Damage to MOCs can occur, but if you bring the MOCs to the event in person that greatly reduces the risk of that kind of thing happening. The most significant damage would be liable to happen during the MOC setup/tear-down periods, but even then it shouldn't be a huge risk.

So overall, there's no huge risk of theft or damage to MOCs as long as you're not recklessly flaunting highly-desirable parts or minifigures. Glancing at your MOC topics, you seem to be good about making your MOCs sturdy, so I think you should have nothing to worry about.

Parts most likely to get stolen are probably minifigures. Brickfair sets up stanchions to keep the public a certain distance from the tables where MOCs are displayed, and the amount of reported theft has gone down significantly at the Virginia event over the past few years. But if you are displaying a highly-desirable minifigure close to the edge of the table, you're taking a risk. If a minifigure is well-integrated into the display it will be a lot harder for it to "wander off".

Actually theft at Brickfair has always been known to be done by registered attendees during non-expo hours. Stanchions do nothing to prevent that. And it is always a popular fig and/or expensive one. It sucks but it happens.

-Omi

Edited by Omicron

I've never exhibited before, but I can see how at Brickfair, at least the one in Virginia (it's the only one I've been to so its all I can speak for),theft could occur. It is very crowded, people like to show their awesome MOCS and figures, and yes, there is not a lot to prevent it.

So overall, there's no huge risk of theft or damage to MOCs as long as you're not recklessly flaunting highly-desirable parts or minifigures. Glancing at your MOC topics, you seem to be good about making your MOCs sturdy, so I think you should have nothing to worry about.

I agree. As long as you have someone at the table, and keep your favorite bricks close to you, there's not a lot to worry about.

You can try to start off small and display a couple of things and see how it goes. I haven't had anything stolen but I forgot to pack up a MOC at the end of the event. Maybe someone will bring it back to this year's show. Yeah, labeling your stuff might not be a bad idea.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I've decided I'm going to give BrickFair New England a shot.

Now all I have to figure out is which pieces to bring and how to package them to avoid damage in transit.

Thanks again.

Very good question/topic indeed. I've never exhibited before and I've only recently joined a LUG and a few of those members do a lot of shows it seems.

I'd be in the same boat. I just don't trust people in general, so to have any pieces/figures out in the public domain would make me worry, especially figures or rare pieces.

Even with tight security and close friends/family around, you are still taking a risk. However, it seems theft is usually pretty minimal the majority of the time, otherwise people wouldn't keep exhibiting.

Good luck and have fun at the show! I'm sure it will be a great experience.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I've decided I'm going to give BrickFair New England a shot.

Now all I have to figure out is which pieces to bring and how to package them to avoid damage in transit.

Great! Good luck in the event. As for packaging, how will you be traveling? It might be different depending on plane/car/train etc.

SO, I thought I'd see if there were any experienced exhibitors out there willing to share their war stories. What is it like behind the scenes? Have you had issues with damage or theft? Are there (general) logistical issues to consider when planning to attend a show as an exhibitor? Have you ever regretted bringing (or not bringing) MOCs to an event? Did you have fun?

Definitely go! My first event was Brickfair DC in 2009. It was a blast. I had just recently returned from my dark ages, and had my first new moc on display there. I didn't know anybody, nor was I part of any LUG. It was at the event that I met some AFOLs from my state, and they invited me to a LUG meeting. I've been hanging out with them since, and it makes the shows even more enjoyable when you have a great group to hang with. It can be cheaper too, since the cost of hotels, etc can be split.

My favorite part of the shows is the display time when the doors open to the public. I build mostly remote controlled Technic stuff, so it's always great to see the kid's (and adult's) reactions to the moving LEGOs. The behind the scenes stuff can be fun as well, whether you are watching or participating. Activities vary a bit between shows, but there are usually games, presentations (both by AFOLs and sometimes LEGO staff), building opportunities, and there are usually some late gatherings that involve adult beverages. My favorite game I've seen was the boat race at Brickworld Chicago. BrickCon in Seattle includes a really nice lunch (or was it dinner?...can't remember). Events usually have door prizes too, although some much more than others.

I have never had an issue with theft, although I don't display things with pricey pieces or minifies. I've never heard of whole mocs walking off. Some shows I've been to has had rent-a-cops on hand to keep an eye on stuff. I find the general public surprisingly respectful with our mocs, and I haven't really had any problems with the public messing with my mocs, other than maybe 1 or 2 kids.

I have never shipped mocs by mail, but I know there are people that do. A couple years ago, I flew out to BrickCon and checked a large moc. That was probably a bit of a risk, but it worked fine both ways. I made sure I put lots of address labels on my suitcase. :laugh:

As far as logistics go, just make sure you understand the registration cutoff dates. Some events have a different cutoff date for registering mocs and registering for the event. Everything else is just hotels, airfare, rental cars, food, etc...

I have never not brought a moc to an event, nor have I ever regretted bringing something. As Technic builder, I find certain types of mocs attract the attendees more than others, but that is fine. The only time I've gotten frustrated at an event was during a LEGO show last year. One of the coordinators dropped the ball on our space requirements, and the theme I was displaying in was extremely tight on space. Me and 3 other guys had a space about 5' x 5' to display our stuff, with my moc being almost 5' wide. The wide table setup made It impossible to chat with the crowd. I'm a laid back guy and usually don't let things get to me, but that situation was frustrating and had me a bit grumpy for a while. :blush: It was still a fun event and I don't regret going, but I'm not sure I'll go back as long as they're in the same venue.

Since 2009, I've been to 7 major U.S. events and several local shows. They are awesome. I think you will enjoy it, and the events only get better once you get to meet the regular attendees. :thumbup:

I've never done a show personally, but I read that Lego exhibitors got 30% off at the nearest Lego stores, but I recently read an article that said that Lego wasn't doing that anymore.

Yeah, we used to get 30% off, but you are correct, that discount will not be available this year. I know people who have decided not to participate in some event this year because of the lack of a discount. Having a discount was one way to offset the cost of attending a convention. :cry3:

Just my $.02.

Edited by dhc6twinotter

Well, on the one hand, it's important to be yourself and experience the freedom that comes with this particular practice, as long as it is done in a responsible manner, with full awareness of your surroundings, especially keeping it age appropriate. On the other hand, there can be legal issues, as well as environmental concerns from exposure to the cold. Oh, and people stare, but maybe that's the point, huh?

Edit: Oh, exhibitor. My mistake. :devil:

(It's a joke, people. Isn't it? :wink:)

Well Brickfair New England 2013 is history and just to give a little closure to this thread, I'll add that:

1) I _did_ end up going

2) My MOCs made it there (and back) with very minor travel issues

3) I met some great folks (including several people who DO apparently exist outside of Eurobricks) and saw some spectacular builds

4) I had a wonderful time talking to both other AFOLs as well as kids and parents in the general public about my works and the hobby in general

5) I won several kits, got some good bargains and overall left with more Lego parts than I came in with -and-

6) I won two Brickies (Should Be A Kit award and Public Fan Favorite award) I was honored just to be nominated and shocked that I actually won. I'd like to a send a big "thank you" to anyone reading this who voted for my stuff. There were some very talented builders and really great MOCs there so I really appreciated it every time some one told me one of my guys was their favorite.

I'd also like to thank everyone here who encouraged me to go and I hope others who are sitting on the fence about being a first time exhibitor will find this thread. Other than being a little hoarse from talking, a little sleep deprived from late nights and early mornings and little sore from standing for many hours, I'd say that my experience entirely positive and far more enriching (and downright fun) than I was anticipating. Even my wife (who is not really into LEGO but came along for moral support) was getting in on the fun and is looking forward to returning next year.

So (to borrow an old slogan from Nike): If you're thinking of becoming an exhibitor at a LEGO show, just do it.

I was informed via e-mail right after last year's Brickfair event in Virginia that I would no longer be permitted to display anything that promoted my website, nor would I be allowed to have business cards on my table for my website unless I registered as a vendor for $250. I was then informed that all of the vendor spots for 2013 were already sold out. Now I have yearly fees that I pay for my website and I have always said that it would be ad-free, not to mention that I have a webmaster in Europe that I must compensate frequently, and I am not allowed to promote my own work after paying registration fees for both myself and my wife..?

It's bad enough that the clowns are being charged admission to get into the circus, but then telling them that they can't bring their sqeaky horns and over-sized shoes is ridiculous...

Funny, when you do the OFFICIAL LEGO kidsfest events, not only do you get paid, but you were allowed to advertise anything that you want...

I only exhibited my creations at local events so far and I have 4 events on my record (spread over 3 years),

transporting my MOCs outside the country just seems so unreal :sceptic: .

Either way, I can only encourage exhibiting your creations :thumbup:

I was informed via e-mail right after last year's Brickfair event in Virginia that I would no longer be permitted to display anything that promoted my website, nor would I be allowed to have business cards on my table for my website unless I registered as a vendor for $250. I was then informed that all of the vendor spots for 2013 were already sold out. Now I have yearly fees that I pay for my website and I have always said that it would be ad-free, not to mention that I have a webmaster in Europe that I must compensate frequently, and I am not allowed to promote my own work after paying registration fees for both myself and my wife..?

It's bad enough that the clowns are being charged admission to get into the circus, but then telling them that they can't bring their sqeaky horns and over-sized shoes is ridiculous...

Funny, when you do the OFFICIAL LEGO kidsfest events, not only do you get paid, but you were allowed to advertise anything that you want...

That's pretty lame of the Brickfair folks to do that. :ugh::wall:

I've never done one but considered how every single time I let a kid near or touch anything of mine they ruin it within a few minutes... yeah... no.

I'm not even exaggerating. The little buggers ruin everything they touch. Somehow managing to delete save files when I let them play games. Or gunk up controllers like they're cake. Or touch my models and break them. 100% of the time! Kids!!!!

I've watched bad stuff happen too. Like someone's custom home built R2-D2. Kid comes by and just grabs a part of it and rips it off....

Maybe I'm unlucky or something. Kids just always seem to ruin everything. Parents sometimes are idiots and laugh too.

I'm glad you found it to be a positive experience. I don't plan on traveling with my creations anytime soon, but we will be doing some local shows in the future with our local LUG. I'm looking forward to it/not looking forward to it. Mostly don't want other people touching my LEGO, which I know they aren't supposed to, but obviously it happens. Other than that, I just know I won't have minifigures or anything worthwhile to steal.

I've never done one but considered how every single time I let a kid near or touch anything of mine they ruin it within a few minutes... yeah... no.

Maybe I'm unlucky or something. Kids just always seem to ruin everything. Parents sometimes are idiots and laugh too.

I thought the same way when I went to my first event last weekend. The first day I was so worried about kids touching and stealing (and I had a few rare parts) that pretty much every time someone walked by I would check around for all the parts :laugh: .

Nothing happened though. No one touched it, they were all respectful and enjoyed the creations. I had nice conversations with both adults and kids alike. If I were you I wouldn't let the fear stop you from exhibiting your MOCs. Just relax and realize that everyone there is a fellow fan and 99% will respect your MOCs. And if you see a kid looking suspicious, just give him a glare, he'll understand and will probably walk away.

But anyway, for anyone else, events are awesome! :classic: This was only a local event that I went to, but it was still way better than I thought it would be. There were great exhibitors, vendors, staff, and visitors. The MOCs were very good and the age range was also good for any guest (10-adult). I won best in show and had a great time overall.

10/10 would recommend again.

Brickfete is coming up in July, and its the nearest fan event to where I live (Western New York). I've never gone to a fan event before, and I'm thinking about attending and possibly exhibiting, so I have a few questions.

1. Since I've never been to an AFOL event before, should I just go as a spectator to this one, or exhibit.

2. If I do exhibit, one of the MOCs I have is a SHIP. Would it be extremely inconvenient to carry this across international borders? It can break into smaller sections than the full 113 studs it is.

3. I'm not part of a LUG or other AFOL group. Is it frowned upon for exhibiting alone?

4. How many MOCs can/do people usually exhibit? I have a couple other smaller things that I might bring if I decide to exhibit.

Thanks in advance for any help!