@ efferman: I'm not sure whether you are already aware of this (or whether you MOC will be using these or not), but Saberwing40k made a LDD File of the Lego Power Functions L-motor and Servo-motor, and posted it here. You can see how he built up the equivalent pinhole locations:

servo_lmotors.png

They represent Bricklink Part 99498c01, "Light Bluish Gray Electric, Motor 9V Power Functions Servo with Dark Bluish Gray Bottom".

...and Bricklink Part 99499c01, "Electric, Motor 9V Power Functions L with Dark Bluish Gray Bottom."

@DLuders: I have made new versions of both my substitute servo and L motor, they now how have all the correct pin holes, so could you post the link to those instead?

This is a huge model!

I thought that the real truck could rotate each wheel set 360 degrees?

So if each wheel set is mounted on a turntable and then wait until summer when LEGO releases the new small NXT motor. Then you can attach one of those small motors to each turntable and work out a program for turning each set of wheels independently and accurate. You will need one NXT V3 for four pair of wheels .... THEN it will be a real monster :D

Even with the all the gearing on the input side of your linear actuators?

Do you plan on implementing a system for crab steering? Won't the shorter track rod, that gives you ackermann geometry, get in the way of crab steering?

Perhaps he could use pneumatics instead of the ackerman liftarms, so he can enable crab steering in any steering location?

Even with the all the gearing on the input side of your linear actuators?

Do you plan on implementing a system for crab steering? Won't the shorter track rod, that gives you ackermann geometry, get in the way of crab steering?

my steering system eliminates every gear jumpers or disharmonic. And no, i dont want to make a crab steering, my rigid stering system makes it impossible.

to the NXT fans, if you want a nxt versiopn i could try an optimized version for NXT. but be sure that i dont build it in real.

@DLuders: I have made new versions of both my substitute servo and L motor, they now how have all the correct pin holes, so could you post the link to those instead?

Yes, I will, but what is the new hyperlink to your revised LDD .lxf files?

currently iam implement the drivetrain, and slowly iam realize which problems i will get with my "electrical low cost plan". i try every time to keep the drivetrain as short as possible, and now i have a 700mm long crossaxle

8449764267_c297f4768d_c.jpg

it seems i have to think about my strategy

Do you have a link to this latest version?

I would love to take a look.

The ETF trucks are really amazing, but I think we will probably see a lego technic version before an actual pic off the real truck :classic:

If you could keep the style and modularity of the trucks it would be awesome.

Maybe build a little lifter for the power-modules:

powerpack-swap.jpg

you are free to build one, but who wants to build an excavator in the same scale?

Problem is that wheeled excavators usually have bigger wheels than the truck you're building. And the walking/tracked ones are ridiculously large. Maybe one of the "really big crane" guys?

moz, i dont have any scruples to use something like this to build a LeTourneau wheel loader in the same scale. and jorgeopesi, do you think thousand of these rubber parts are enough to build something like this in the scale of the etf?

btw scale:

i have get here some infos about the size of the theoretical original etf. the length of a four axle version is 15meters long and 6,7 meters wide. every axle adds 3 meters to the length. with 24R35 tires it has a tire diameter of 2175mm.

now we can make it in scale of our tires.

it seems i have to check the size of my chassis :wink:

in case of my super long drivetrain i have a plan B

8452560629_3e0970a12a.jpg

8452560813_a38eece4ce.jpg

8453652766_e4df937c80.jpg

8452561089_e862429c69.jpg

yes i know what i had said about battery packs and receivers. but i think i can do it without multiple receivers, when i use some mechanical switches and a servo to switch them

Edited by efferman

Well, I've got to update this thread sometime or other, but for now, a little comparison with Efferman's truck:

f5vs.7s.jpg

... Yikes, his is huge! Mine is only slightly smaller, but it is far more compact, and simpler. Looks like he's having problems with the drive train, so he switched to individual motors like I did. However, I also switched having all wheels powered by 2 XL motors, but I'm going to switch back to each axle being powered by an individual motor, just not on the axle. More updates will come later.

P.S. importing both models into LDD nearly crashed the computer I was working on. 6060 pieces, whew.

Edited by Saberwing40k

P.S. importing both models into LDD nearly crashed the computer I was working on. 6060 pieces, whew.

:laugh: my pc has problems too with my model. has anyone an idea if more ram will solve this problem?

btw, to be in scale, my wheelbase should be roundabout 20 studs shorter, but only 2 studs more narrow than my actual ldd version

Edited by efferman

:laugh: my pc has problems too with my model. has anyone an idea if more ram will solve this problem?

More RAM solved my problems with my 27000 pieces spaceship :grin:

Putting a better video card in helped me be able to run 13,000 part models with full settings smoothly, though it depends on what your computer is lacking in.

I have almost 1000 rubbers waiting for the idea and the desire...

You should get a girlfriend then :laugh:

Seriously, those rubber thingies look very interesting. Did you BL them or did you buy them directly from TLG?

Sorry for the OT :blush:

Also, are the ETF trucks real? Quite amazing concept

This is a huge model!

I thought that the real truck could rotate each wheel set 360 degrees?

So if each wheel set is mounted on a turntable and then wait until summer when LEGO releases the new small NXT motor. Then you can attach one of those small motors to each turntable and work out a program for turning each set of wheels independently and accurate. You will need one NXT V3 for four pair of wheels .... THEN it will be a real monster :D

No, the "real" tucks can not rotate their wheels through 360 degrees, or crab steer, as I recall. Just check out the site for animations.

Also, are the ETF trucks real? Quite amazing concept

Well, yes and no. For a certain value of real, as in they are being considered for production, but are only currently in the design stage. But no, the trucks do not exist in real life, yet. But to be fair, neither do these models. :laugh:

Here's the site: http://www.etftrucks.eu/

Tracks are not a problem :laugh: , I have almost 1000 rubbers waiting for the idea and the desire...

It's great to hear that you have a 1000 rubbers :laugh: , but like every older man like us, gona whe juse a 1000 rubbers :tongue:

Edited by VFracingteam

When this was discussed a couple of years ago this is what i had come up with

Do you still have the LDD file? Care to share it?