Hello,

I beg pardon if this thread has been started before, I used the search function to no result. :look:

I see on these pages often MOCs with some, or many, non-LEGO pieces (mostly in minifigures, but also in other ways).. and I often feel like "Hey, am I the only one who thinks that this is not really a MOC?" :sceptic:

I mean, I like the idea that, for building a MOC, we should use only original parts.

I was talking about that in my LUG some days ago, we saw a really beautiful Lego Train circuit.. but it ran over a diorama made with fictional NON LEGO grass, fictional NON LEGO mountains... so perhaps it makes the whole thing look greater than if it was made only by LEGO parts, but I feel this is a bit like cheating. :sceptic:

I personally dislike brickforge and the like (and I am a proud Megabloks opposer... considering both NON LEGO products) and while I feel like it's stupid to judge people who instead use those pieces, I really do not understand them at all.

I believe that if you enlarge a little the process, then everything you want can be molded to fit on a stud, but this wouldn't make a LEGO part out of it.

So what do you think? Do you like using non LEGO parts in your MOCs, you simply don't care or you too think that MOCs with non LEGO part can't be your cup of tea?

Thanks for reading, hope nobody feels insulted.

EDIT: removed the word HATE since it's misplaced in this contest. Sorry that it will remain in the topic title. Please consider not everybody here is born in an english-speaking country.

Edited by Itaria No Shintaku

I can understand where you are coming from with this. I am a proud customizor, and I use anything and everything at my disposal to make my minifigs (even opposing brands like MegaBlocks).

Custom houses like BrickForge, BrickArms, Arealight, etc, make their items because they want to expand and add more to the community. Not essentially replacing current items, but just adding more variety. Most of the items they make are items Lego has not made, but there are times that Lego makes their own version later on (Like most accessories in the CMF series). They are here to give options.

-Omi

I, for one, am a purist when it comes to my own MOCs, but I can appreciate people using custom parts. I feel that this appreciation lies in context of said part, however. I can enjoy a custom part a whole lot more if it is something simple, like cutting the wings off of Basil's bat helm, rather than a full-custom piece that makes a MOC feel as though the user couldn't think of an alternative. I actually really like the use of other, non-Lego parts, though, such as Brickforge or the train hobbyist pieces (Just not as much with a competing building brand). I think they're great to use, especially when you're only trying to highlight a specific model, and still want to give it a setting.

You know what?

Perhaps in US it is different because LEGO cost less. Here in Italy (but I talk for myself, it is just my 2p) since LEGO are more expensive, I'd feel like it would be an horror to cut/bend on purpose some parts...

Perhaps this is part of an explanation.

Perhaps in US it is different because LEGO cost less. Here in Italy (but I talk for myself, it is just my 2p) since LEGO are more expensive, I'd feel like it would be an horror to cut/bend on purpose some parts...

I've destroyed rare and expensive Lego parts just for the sake of making a good custom.

And I'm American.

-Omi

I think that as long as the individual is fine with it, them manipulating Lego pieces shouldn't be held against their artistic license. I can understand the pain of seeing an expensive piece "ruined," though :devil:

And I'm American.

Yes, but I wanted to say that since where you live LEGO costs less than half here, perhaps it comes different the inner value you give to them!

Just that.

I don't think something is "not a MOC" just because it uses a custom part or another company's part. After all, if somebody built a LEGO model that used non-LEGO string (or something more absurd like a banana) it wouldn't disqualify it from being a MOC. Why should something designed as a building toy component be any different?

Granted, if something were built where non-LEGO parts were the majority, then I might appreciate it less than a LEGO MOC. But that has nothing to do with the creativity of the builder, and the model would still be (Their) Own Creation.

Yes, but I wanted to say that since where you live LEGO costs less than half here, perhaps it comes different the inner value you give to them!

Just that.

I value Lego. And I also value customization. If I have to pay a 100 bucks for a certain piece that I may have to cut/paint/mod, I will do so.

If anything, Lego encourages customization just as much as building. It is the creative aspect of it.

-Omi

Edited by Omicron

If anything, Lego encourages customization just as much as building. It is the creative aspect of it.

Indeed. I've heard that Lego fully supports the intentions of companies like Brickarms, and that when hiring new designers for their team, they specifically look for someone who does create their own molds or modifies existing ones.

Hmm. Here's what I think.

I'm okay with minifig customization. There's way more that LEGO hasn't done with minifigs than with parts. But I think custom pieces (except for things like sails, string, fabrics, etc.) are a bit too far. So yeah, custom minifig parts: OK, custom bricks: NO.

However, that's just the standard I build by (at the moment). I'm fine with other people using custom parts and I love to see new ideas. Maybe someday I'll start customizing bricks. Who knows? Just do what YOU think is okay, and let others do what they want.

My personal opinion is that people can do what they want and if it is OK with them and it is stuff they own then that is fine by me.

However, on a more personal note I don't like using non LEGO items. I think the only non LEGO items I have used are some printed stickers for signs on buildings which I made. I do appreciate things like mini-fig accessories and have considered buying some of them. I have not simply because of the cost. But to use another brands bricks or some copied bricks then I would not do that at all in any way.

As for cutting or painting bricks, well in the days prior to the internet where the LEGO you had was what was from your sets or the odd box of basic bricks I did resort to painting a few bricks black when I ran out. Nowadays though I would just not do that as it is easy to get the parts you want within just a matter of days and after all it is LEGO a toy, so it is not that desperate that I need it now is it?

I think hate is a bit of a strong word in tis case...

I don't see anything wrong with 3rd party parts or *gasp!* other brands. Say you're building a sculpture type MOC and you use off brand bricks for the guts of the model surrounded by LEGO. Wanting to use the good stuff on the outside where it counts. Or on the back and sides of a building, again, save the good bricks for where it counts. Then again, I never understood all the hate for clone brands...but that's another thread.

Using Brickarms or Brickforge is fine. Making a military MOC will greatly benefit from Brickarms. Brickforge has some great armor/weapons for medieval or fantasy figs.

I don't much care for clone brands, and I'll never buy a set that's 'not Lego'. BrickForge and the likes are different, because they're designed to add to the Lego experience, not replace it - they're small companies created by Lego enthusiasts.

What I dislike most of all, though, is the use of the word 'hate' on this forum - like in this topic title. Hate is a word that should never be used about anything that's related to Lego. I'd appreciate it if people would try to find more appropriate terms.

Personally, I see no problems customizing parts of a toy line all about creativity and creation. But you know what? I have a hard time customizing parts not related to minifig stuff, usually because a suitable replacement already exists for what I need it for.

I got nothing resembling hate for 3rd party molds, and will go order some now to counter-balance any ill-will felt toward them.

I got nothing resembling hate for 3rd party molds, and will go order some now to counter-balance any ill-will felt toward them.

Haha! Together we can make it right :)

I'm mixed on this. As an old school model maker scratch builder I often find myself tempted to modify or custom create elements to do what I want. But then I stop myself, because that is very counter to the actual Lego hobby. Part of the challenge here is to use the available pieces to accomplish your goal. It is part of the puzzle and part of the fun. ( although I remain tempted to custom paint or slice up a few of those darned green base plates in order to make affordable and reasonable display bases)

Minifigs are an entirely different matter. I fully recognize minifigs customization as a hobby unto itself, and appreciate he aftermarket stuff to assist in that. So long as a fig is presented and identified as a custom one, it's not only ok, it's an admirable skill.

When I came out of my dark ages a few years back I was a purist. Things like Brickarms etc.... held no interest for me. If it wasn't made by Lego, I didnt care for it but times have changed dramatically! I took the plunge last year and made my first Brickarms order and since then i've spent a fortune on aftermarket minifigure accessories from the likes of Brickforge, Brick Warriors, Arealight etc... simply because Lego doesn't offer me the parts I want for the minifigures that I like to build.

From the start I was so impressed at the quality of these parts, Brick Warriors especially are something else, dare I say better than Lego? Maybe not better, just different!

I dont think a moc should be looked down upon because it features non Lego items, if anything it means the builder is thinking outside the box and using his imagination to create something Lego cant quite do for him/her themselves.

I understand why you may not want to use these parts but i'd say give them a chance, take a close look at the stuff on offer and maybe, like me, you'll be converted and wonder how you lived without them for so long!

Edited by charlieboy

I beg pardon if this thread has been started before, I used the search function to no result. :look:

I see on these pages often MOCs with some, or many, non-LEGO pieces (mostly in minifigures, but also in other ways).. and I often feel like "Hey, am I the only one who thinks that this is not really a MOC?" :sceptic:

I don't if there is any specific thread on Eurobricks regarding this matter, but discussion about the use of custom elements and clone brand parts in MOCing has been going on for many years now.

No, you are far from alone in thinking that MOCs should only feature unaltered LEGO-produced elements. That's usually referred to as "purism," and it's an accepted ethos in the building community. However, it's from from the only perspective individuals have when it comes to approaching the hobby; many others readily modify LEGO parts and/or incorporate custom and/or clone brand elements into their building, and that's equally as valid a way to build.

You might not "understand" why someone chooses to build with elements not produced by LEGO, but ultimately, there's no innate right or wrong way when it comes to building. The only real critical matter is that you enjoy how you build and extend that right to everyone else.

My personal opinion is that people can do what they want and if it is OK with them and it is stuff they own then that is fine by me.

However, on a more personal note I don't like using non LEGO items.

This is my perspective. I personally would rather use only official LEGO elements in my creations, with possible exceptions for non-construction-toy items that certain LEGO elements are specifically designed to be used with (such as batteries for Power Functions, water for floating boat hulls, etc.), so I consider myself a purist. I wouldn't begrudge someone else their decision to use whatever other elements they want, though, or to modify bricks and such. The idea horrifies me :tongue: , but why should I get to tell someone else how to play with their toys?

I'm a purist myself, and I don't like the idea of “modifying” (in my view destroying) bricks and parts. I agree that part of the challenge in LEGO is to express yourself with what's available.

However, I realize that military MOCs for example (mainly the figs and accessories) would be very difficult to create without some help of 3rd parties. So I acknowledge that non-LEGO elements have a permanent place in MOCs (at least until TLG scrap its non-violence policy...). I'm also willing to use sting and rubber bands, and paper too.

As for clone brands, though I dont own any, I have the same opinion as on 3rd party suppliers and other non-LEGO elements. The level of disgust they get on this site is pretty funny...

In a nutshell, my opinion is that LEGO is best, LEGO+other is fine, modifying LEGO is :sick::pir_bawling:. But, live and let live.

I also don't like destroying or altering existing LEGO element for custom use. I also avoid clone parts with few possible exceptions. Such as Tyco 2x2 stud to stud adapter which LEGO never made, and the custom made dark red, orange, yellow, brown, and tan 6x5 leave element as LEG only made them in white and 3 shades of green, making autumn scene harder.

Custom stickers are OK, generally most will come off without damaging the brick.

I don't like clone brands, just because they're just not Lego. Same idea goes for 3rd party stuff. I do mod my bricks though, but got a golden rule; it has to be done neat, clean and precise. :sweet:

I like Brickarms and Brickforge Aerealight's scooter is a custom item I have a few of. I don't mind where extra bits and bobs come from if the fulfil a purpose not covered by Lego. I AM very choosy about the parts I augment my Lego with though. I doubt I would cut or glue or paint anything but have no objections to anyone else doing so to create something different. Actually, I would cut hoses to whatever length I needed. Or replace string if I needed something thicker or thinner than Lego standard thickness.

When I was a boy I had no qualms about altering Lego. Melting, cutting, painting, gluing were common occurrences in my little projects. I have more restraint now and the money to buy parts and pieces to achieve results I could only dream about back then. I now have the ability to create stickers too.

It is all down to personal preference and taste in any hobby. I think what other people do should be the least of your worries and that energy should be put into your own work. make whatever you do the best you can do and that's all anyone should care about.

I'm completely against custom molds and Brickarms/forge. When I'm looking around on Flickr and I see some pictures using non-Lego molds, I just want to post a comment in all caps. When I rarely, rarely, make a custom fig, I only use paint and clay. I never have and I never will cut a Lego piece.