wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

Same here! I really didn't understand why EVERY single Harry Potter set had a Harry Potter figure, I could understand having at least one of the three main characters, but not in every single set.

In fairness, if the whole theme is actually called "Harry Potter," it does make sense to include Harry Potter; it's not as though he's in the same outfit all the time, at least.

Moreover, there actually have been some Harry Potter sets that don't have Harry Potter in them... along with Batman, Spider-Man and Speed Racer sets that don't have Batman, Spider-Man or Speed Racer in them, respectively. I think the only licensed themes in which the title characters appear in all the sets of those themes are Indiana Jones, Prince of Persia (Dastan being the titular prince of Persia, of course) and Spongebob Squarepants.

Same here! I really didn't understand why EVERY single Harry Potter set had a Harry Potter figure, I could understand having at least one of the three main characters, but not in every single set.

This approach is great, the only figures we are getting lots of multiples of are the army building minifigures, and we are getting many of them. I'm ecstatic for this line, it has great figures, and by looking at Huw Millington's photos, I'd say the sets look great, and I love that they are modular. I'm definitely collecting every single set, I just need to save up as this will be expensive together with my Star Wars collection.

When you think about it, there's a big difference between Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings. In the Harry Potter books and movies, there are hardly any important scenes where Harry himself isn't present, mainly because the stories are almost entirely told from his perspective (third-person limited rather than third-person omniscient).

Lord of the Rings is very different. While it's obvious that Frodo is the overall main character, there are several scenes that follow separate characters in both the books and the movies. So those scenes, when depicted as sets, don't necessarily need to include Frodo to offer a complete play experience that's loyal to the source material.

Now, some themes, like Pirates of the Caribbean, don't have this defense. In that theme's case, it's just that the most memorable scenes determined to make the best sets tended to feature Jack Sparrow. If the theme had lasted longer, other scenes not featuring the character might have shown up, in which case he might not have been in every set.

Ouch on the price of the orc forge. :sick: It is gonna be hard to army build with that set. Too many bricks. Now more than ever I hope we get some sort of battlepack with very few bricks. Especially for the bad guys. I was really hoping to make an army of atleast 1000 orcs and 200 uruks. We will have to wait and see if better army builders become available. However, that doesn't help me when planning my purchases for later this year.

TLG might do a figure-only battlepack sometime; we can only hope. I'd guess it wouldn't come out until well after the first wave of sets; they wouldn't want to undermine set sales.

Given their past history, I'd say it's very likely that they'd do a magnet set or two. That provides a good way to build an army, as long as you don't mind removing the figures from the magnets and having the adhesive residue on the backs of their legs.

I love the curved walls on Helm's Deep! TLG has never done that before.

What pieces are the blades on Shelob's legs?

I can't tell if the horse in Gandalf's cart is old or new.

New would make more sense, as all the other horses in the theme are the new ones.

(Also, when TLG makes a new, improved version of a piece, they phase out the old version.)

After seeing the picture of Helm's Deep actually built I am much more impressed with it than I was originally. The blurry box pictures had made it look small and unimpressive. It looks much bigger and more detailed in the build pictures.

I think you might be right about it not getting a poseable horse (assuming the new horse doesn't just completely replace the classic one), but I don't think intentionally limiting availability of "highly demanded" pieces to expensive sets figures much (if at all) into their thinking. If anything, they'll limit it to an expensive set simply because it's an expensive part. Otherwise, they do put highly desirable new elements in small, inexpensive sets all the time.

There might be a chance. If you look closely at the zoomed pictures, you can see that both gandalfs brown horse and the brown one in helms deep have a white mark on their forehead. This might mean that it is the same, i.e. posable horse. That would make more sense than putting the same print on an old brown horse IMHO.

I would appreciate that a lot, I need at least 5 posable brown horses.

Helm's Deep looks EPIC! They are definitely going after AFOLs with this theme. Both HD and Weathertop look more like fan-made scenes for display than the usual playsets in licensed themes. These look far better than most of the POTC sets.

Still a little concerned that Moria really doesn't look like much. As the second most expensive set, I expected more of a structure. What I've seen so far definitely doesn't appear to justify the price tag, except for the fact that it has a bunch of the best minifigs in it. The troll looks great, though.

After seeing the picture of Helm's Deep actually built I am much more impressed with it than I was originally. The blurry box pictures had made it look small and unimpressive. It looks much bigger and more detailed in the build pictures.

I love the fact that it's so big it doesn't quite fit on the display stand.

My favourite part is are the rocks/rubble around the base. You can see this on several sets and the really add to the look and feel of them. I just hope they're made up of individual bricks and not big molded pieces (or *shudder* part of the baseplate mold). I built of Prince of Persia set recently and it was a mix of the two, although mostly seperate pieces.

Wow, talk about disappointment. Coming from a theme that is loved by so many, my initial thoughts is that something is missing. Are my expectations too high? I'm curious to see what the piece counts are for each of these sets.

I'm somewhat disappointed with the poster picture of the fellowship. Particularly Boromir. His hair is red/orange? In the book it was black, in the movies blonde. Why'd they choose red?

Thanks--I vaguely recall seeing piece amounts before, but I was drawing an absolute blank. These counts do seem familiar--thanks for posting them!

Piece counts originally come from this page (which belongs to a Hungarian shop, but the main pieces of information can still be recognized nicely):

http://www.legomarkabolt.hu/index.php?oldal=katalogus&by=csoport&cs=94

FBTB has a nice breakdown of the sets - including orc forge - no pics though!

If Eomer is really included into the "Uruk-hai Army" set -than is the "Orc Forge" a welcome alternative army building set. :thumbup:

As Eomer is beside LEGOlas the only elf TLC is producing, you can better collect some Eomers then and change their faces...

Also, Boromir and king Theoden really looks like eachother in the movies, so it would be really difficult for TLC to make a big difference in their faces

Helm's Deep looks fantastic!!! Only some more minifigs in it would be more fun :D But then again, 99 dollar is not bad at all for such a set!

Oh, and am I the only one who saw the new orc shields? I can't wait to have some of them!!

and another thing, I saw most LOTR already 3 or 4 times, but please help me, when did the spider Shelob appeared in the movie, I can't remember it :blush:???

Edited by DaMaximus

As Eomer is beside LEGOlas the only elf TLC is producing, you can better collect some Eomers then and change their faces...

Also, Boromir and king Theoden really looks like eachother in the movies, so it would be really difficult for TLC to make a big difference in their faces

Helm's Deep looks fantastic!!! Only some more minifigs in it would be more fun :D But then again, 99 dollar is not bad at all for such a set!

Oh, and am I the only one who saw the new orc shields? I can't wait to have some of them!!

and another thing, I saw most LOTR already 3 or 4 times, but please help me, when did the spider Shelob appeared in the movie, I can't remember it :blush:???

Haldir is an elf not Eomer.

shelob is in first half of return of the king.

By orc shields do you mean the uruk-hair shields? we've seen them since the prelims.

Edited by deskp

Eomer is a man of Rohan, not an elf. Haldir is the other elf in this wave, and he is in the Helm's Deep set.

As for Shelob, she appeared in the Return of the King.

That's a shame, I was hoping Saruman would be included in The Orc Forge. Well, at least he might appear in the Hobbit sets, as he's definitely going to be in the movies.

That's a shame, I was hoping Saruman would be included in The Orc Forge. Well, at least he might appear in the Hobbit sets, as he's definitely going to be in the movies.

I'm pretty sure Saruman isn't in the hobbit, is he?

He has a small supporting role in the books. He's being referred to by Gandalf (I think) when he tells of the attack on Dol Guldur (or whatever Sauron's/the Necromancer's base was, can't really remember). In the movies, Peter Jackson will actually put this assault in his movies, instead of just referring to it. So, we might see Saruman in Hobbit sets. However, it would still be the "good" version of Saruman, although I doubt there'll be much difference in appearance between LotR Saruman and the Hobbit one.

Not in the book, but he may have a cameo in the movie(s) -- the White Council attackes Sauron ("the Necromancer") during the time of the Hobbit, and Saruman was in the Council.

Saruman will appear in the Hobbit films, but it is still unknown whether or not his role will be worthy of being put in a LEGO set based on the Hobbit. His role in LOTR is much more significant, and it would be stupid if LEGO didn't make Saruman in an Isengard/Orthanc set. We will see him, we just don't know when.

Also, after seeing that Aragorn will have his ranger clothes in the Weathertop set, does anyone else think he will have the proper design for Helm's Deep? During the battle, he didnt just wear his plain ranger clothes, but wore a shirt of chain mail under a leather jerkin. I've always loved Aragorn's Helm's Deep outfit most, so I really hope they do it.

I've also noticed hat one of the Uruks in the Uruk army set is holding the classic LEGO halberd axe piece, which means probably no new pikes.

And lastly, I looked at the zoomed in pic of Balin's Tomb and could tell that Boromir's sword looks more pointy than the traditional LEGO swords, so whatever mold it is, it will be different. As for his shield, I would not be surprised if they used the new shield mold for the Rohirrim for Boromir.

Edited by Fives

Helms deep= MUST GET, theres goes my moneys again.....

And i am a bit sad about the sets, quite small in my taste, but the good thing is that they cant be too exenpsive. :laugh:

Captain Becker