On this TechnicBRICKS article, Fernando Correia has a nice analysis of the (Aug 2012) 9398 4x4 Crawler set.

TBs_20120523_1a.jpg

"So we have:

"•PF-Servo Motor: There is one of it in the Crawler and it might be the one in the center of the model. So we get one for steering both front and rear axis.

"According to previous descriptions from those who have seen it, it should allow an axle to pass through, or at least allow to connect two axles - one in the front and another from the back!?

Honestly I prefer to wait and see it, before entering into more considerations, because the image still suggests several possibilities. tongue.gif

"Looking at the connection head, it looks to have a 3x5 oblong shape with multiple connections, also in orthogonal axis. It makes me also think it might be a strong servo.

"It remains to know whether it is a Full CW [clockwise]/ Full CCW [counterclockwise], or it supports PWM [pulse-width modulation] control for intermediate positions. And whether it implements return to center, or not?

"Nevertheless with the IR [infrared] remote used in this model, here it might behave like full CW / CCW mode.

"•PF-L Motor: Well, finally the missing 'L' in the PF motors range.

These might go to the front and rear axis, to drive the Crawler and do all the heavy work!

"Guess they will run at moderate speed, but with high torque. Although I don't see a significant internal planetary reduction gearing fitting inside this...

"The several pin connections available, from orthogonal axis (very welcomed) also suggest a strong motor that needs steady fixation anchors.

"Just looking to put my hands on, to dissipate all doubts I still have about these...

"It is also good to see the 36T Double Bevel, returning into a Technic set." fixe.gif

Edited by DLuders

That is not a very flattering image of the 9398 B model, at least from that angle. Everything else looks good, especially the 9396 but I'm disappointed they didn't make yellow panels for the side of it where the sticker transitions from red to yellow on a red panel.

Want new pictures ?

*SNIP*

And the B-models :

9396f.jpg

*DOUBLE SNIP*

This model really reminds me of something Grohl did a while ago.

Namely, the Manta:

00.jpg

I'm not sure if this is a real design or not, as i have not been able to find a helicopter with both intermeshing rotors and a pusher prop.

Has anybody an idea where the batterybox fits in the 4x4 crawler?

And what would the prices be?

The new sets look nice.

Tibivi

And the B-models :

9393x.jpg

Is that a fake engine built using axles as pistons? That's a genius use of parts for a B-model :laugh:

Also, though these images do make the Crawler look a lot better, it still isn't really appealing to me on a technical level. Might pick it up at discount. The Helicopter is definitely a purchase though, I love those duel props on the B-model.

Is that a fake engine built using axles as pistons? That's a genius use of parts for a B-model :laugh:

I like this kind of fake engine too - I saw something like this as MOC (just engine) and I think it is first such engine in official set. I have to say that new tractor suprised me much in good way - I will think about buying it. :thumbup: Anyway rock crawler is still number 1 on my shopping list. And about helicopter - main model is excellent of course but am I only one who think that its B-model is totally weird?

imo the heli is a must the only thing i worried about was the implementing of power functions being like the 9395 tow truck. just an after thought and stuck in a horrible place. but as seen in the picture from the previous page you can see the motor tucked in right behind the gearbox...

I love everything, except the motor do look a little "ugly," even though they are new.

Has anybody an idea where the batterybox fits in the 4x4 crawler?

And what would the prices be?

The new sets look nice.

Tibivi

The Battery box seems to be placed in the rear bed of the truck.

Thanks for the pictures Cypr-21.

Love the helicopter!

The rock climber still doesnt do much for me - i think it's not my kind of set.

I think it's a good job creating such a b-model from a helicopter - limited in the parts but this came out as a real different model.

After looking at the secondary model picture of the helicopter 9396, I saw something similiar to this, but with round balls on the end except of little plates and it was bley.

2906.jpg

9396f_-_copy.jpg

I think this is used to help control the pitch of the main blades for the b-model and maybe the a-model. Cool!

Edited by sama

On this new TechnicBRICKS article, Fernando Correia talks more about the 9396 Helicopter's B-Model (pictured above):

"This B-model for the helicopter (another helicopter) is probably the most unexpected piece of information we got in this round. An helicopter with intermeshing rotors is definitely something new in the LEGO Technic products range. Intermeshing rotors on a helicopter are a set of two rotors turning in opposite directions, with each rotor mast mounted on the helicopter with a slight angle to the other, in a transversely symmetrical manner, so that the blades intermesh without colliding. The arrangement allows the helicopter to function without the need for a tail rotor besides we got one in this particular model also at an unconventional orientation. This configuration is sometimes referred to as a synchropter."

As brought up at TechnicBRICKs, I wonder why they are using the old style triangular pieces? :sceptic:

probably just what they had back when they designed the sets.

I'm gonna get both the heli and the 4x4, but heli is the set I am looking forward to more. Maybe I will find it really cheap and can get two....

So I got all excited looking at the roof of the crawler thinking that there might be a thin 1x4 orange liftarm. Closer examination and the reflection off the roof leads me to believe that its nothing more than a black 5x11 panel with a sticker. Bummer.

I like motors...but I like a wider parts color selection better. Im that guy that would be happy to build YOUR moc...but I want to do it in a different color. Usually you are restricted to black, yellow or red.

TBs_20120523_1a.jpg

Looking at the new servo motor, you can see that the 4th hole down is orange, and hence the driving hole, like the XL motor. This is what allows the axle to pass under the motor itself, and explains how the axle can turn both the front and rear wheels simultaneously.

Edited by Sam Lambert

@ Sam Lambert: Good observation, and welcome to Eurobricks! :classic: I can't wait to buy a bunch of these new Power Functions elements!

@ Sam Lambert: Good observation, and welcome to Eurobricks! :classic: I can't wait to buy a bunch of these new Power Functions elements!

Will that be taken out of your pension fund? :laugh:

Welcome Sam.:classic:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

After analyzing this image, it seems the rock crawler has will have the motors geared up to a 6.48 reduction instead of a 10.8 reduction that everybody think. Look at the front motor's black 12t and tan 20t gears. Now look behind the tan 20t gear. It is a blue-grey 16t gear.

9398_2.jpg

Edited by sama

well i think both models look pretty nice, but there's no "wow-factor", i'm sorry to say. Yes it's great to have something different for a change, but this isn't Unimog-league imo...

still, i'll get both at some point.

just noticed the rock crawler uses the new connectors used in log loader (the ones that look like a big.... :wink: ) for steering in front and rear.