22kane

eBay and Lego's

I remember the days when eBay was a place where if you had something you didn't need or wanted to make a little extra cash you put up an auction and would just see what happened. This is no longer the case especially with the addition of the "buy it now" feature that was added some time ago. Many people actually quit their day jobs and opened eBay stores to start making a living. So what's wrong with that? Nothing really until the prices started becoming outrageous. Lego is one of the most overpriced items found on eBay today.

I am a Lego train collector as well as an N scale modeler. I frequent eBay to find both but lately I am amazed at the buy it now prices on many Lego sets. For instance, try searching Lego Emerald Night and see how many auctions come up compared to buy it now sales. Many of the buy it now sales are twice the retail value. You'll find in about 25 listings there are only around 5 actual (fair) auctions. And yes, I know you can filter this on the site but my point is... Well, my point is it just sucks!

I have bought and sold many Lego items on eBay but I have never sold under the buy it now option. I prefer to give people a chance as I would like. Now, I'm certainly not condemning the entire use of buy it now but have you seen the amount of abuse on this? Sets being listed at 10x their value! And it's a free world, people can charge what they want but it's just junked up the entire site. I mean really, when you search an item specifically and out of about 50 items maybe a few are attainable for a fair price.

eBay was always a good way to get the actuall value on something as opposed to a price guide. You can actually see what the general public is willing to pay for an item. In many ways eBay really changed the way we put a value on certain items and I respect that but for the sellers that take up space charging 10x the value, give it a rest.

Like I said, I really don't mean to condemn the buy it now sellers, it's just annoying to comb through all of the impossible buys and it teases me like when I see that one set I've always wanted going for $1000 and I know it cost about $50 new.

Anyway, I will continue to use the site because it's a great way to complete or add extra parts to any set - eg. An extra emerald night passenger car? I'm just curious if anyone else out there shares my frustrations? I'm sure I'm not alone on this.

Edited by 22kane

It's just like Flea Markets.

If you sell something for a reasonable, cheap price it gets purchased but the person buying it is another seller who marks it up for the market value.

Kinda heartbreaking. But not much you can do about it.

Ebay is what it is. It used to be the goldmine of deals, but now its as much of a store as amazon.

Everything has a price, and something is only worth as much as someone else is willing to pay for it.

Out of production sets are obviously going to fetch more money since they are not readily available, its supply and demand at its finest. I rarely use ebay to buy anything anymore, unless its out of production, and then I know I'm going to pay a premium as I should.

Why should someone sell you something that they have been storing this whole time and know its no longer being made for the same price as it would have cost when they bought it years ago?

Its just good business. The greedy part of me agrees with your rant, but the sensible side of me understands why its happening and it makes sense.

Why should someone sell you something that they have been storing this whole time and know its no longer being made for the same price as it would have cost when they bought it years ago?

Don't get me wrong, I agree with that statement. I'm more upset with the ridiculous pricing on the newer stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with that statement. I'm more upset with the ridiculous pricing on the newer stuff.

Some people will just try anything to make money, that's just the way life is. Quite why anyone would pay above retail for an Emerald Night when you can still buy it new is beyond me. I guess they're taking advantage of people who are going to ebay assuming they'll get a bargain and not doing any research on what is available elsewhere.

Oh, my bad if I originally missed that part. I agree, there is no reason to sell anything "new" on ebay unless it's out of production or cheaper than a retail store.

I check eBay for stuff just as I check LEGO, Amazon, Bricklink, etc. Sometimes one is cheaper than the other. More often than not they are all about the same price. eBay has one of the better interfaces and search engines but I tend to buy on price if there is a choice (which often there isn't).

A couple of times a week I also check the soon to finish auctions on eBay just in case there's a bargain that everyone else has missed.

Cheers

Rog

I guess they're taking advantage of people who are going to ebay assuming they'll get a bargain and not doing any research on what is available elsewhere.

Not too long ago I saw someone trying to sell one of those little checklists/"instructions" that come with the collectible minifigs. They wanted five dollars for a little piece of paper that comes free with any of the minifigs. Seriously? I normally keep one from each series and toss the rest unless I'm planning on trading the minifig it came with. Obviously anyone who would buy it has no idea what it actually is and the seller is counting on that.

Not too long ago I saw someone trying to sell one of those little checklists/"instructions" that come with the collectible minifigs. They wanted five dollars for a little piece of paper that comes free with any of the minifigs. Seriously? I normally keep one from each series and toss the rest unless I'm planning on trading the minifig it came with. Obviously anyone who would buy it has no idea what it actually is and the seller is counting on that.

Exactly! Another perfect example!

The reality is, if you look, you will always find a sale or auction that just is stupid or one that is just wrong. You will also find once in a while a major steal. But for the most part ebay is neither. Most of the stuff on ebay can be found cheeper, but is ti worth the effort? Sometimes yes, and sometimes no. :hmpf_bad:

I get a good kick out of some of the BIN prices ebay sellers have online. This and this for example.

I understand the OP's frustration with ebay now. Back from 2002-2004 I got a ton of Star Wars, vintage pirate and vintage castle sets among other things off of ebay. It was very convenient and you could get some sets for very good prices. I remember winning a misb Jango Fett's Slave I for around $30. And there were plenty of others. And if you got outbid, no worries, another auction was either up or would be running in short order. Now the majority of stuff on ebay is BIN. For retail stores or even Lego sets that are currently available from Lego that makes sense. No use running an auction for something that someone can buy somewhere else for retail. The only thing that gets me is the older Lego sets should be put up for auction but they aren't. Lego is extremely popular and even crummy sets will get bids. Putting up a King Leo's castle BIN for $500 as listed above is completely outrageous. They wouldn't get that in an auction, but they'd get more than the retail price of $90 for it for sure. That's how you're supposed to use bidding sites. Pit people against each other for hard to get items. But people don't seem to understand that; they are more interested in making a quick buck, even if it's a pipe dream.

And don't even get me started on sellers that sell currently available sets for $30-$50 over retail. That's just being greedy and trying to catch an unsuspecting person. Pretty pathetic IMO, but I digress.

And don't even get me started on sellers that sell currently available sets for $30-$50 over retail. That's just being greedy and trying to catch an unsuspecting person. Pretty pathetic IMO, but I digress.

The logic behind this, I believe and heard from buyers is that international buyers for example from Australia where prices are terribly bad I have heard(i.e. $160 for 3677 in US, Australia is $300) Then for them paying $200 is actually a steal.

But for US buyers $30-50 above MSRP seem ridiculous.

Not too long ago I saw someone trying to sell one of those little checklists/"instructions" that come with the collectible minifigs.

Ridiculous right? Prior to this, these sellers were listing the minifig barcodes for sale. They discredited someone's gift to the community. Just goes to show you how desperate these people are to make a few bucks.

I saw a seller selling the modular pet shop for 300 bucks !!!!!!!! Now thats just makes me sick :sick:

No one is forcing anyone to pay that though. He can charge what he likes.

Ebay is what it is. It used to be the goldmine of deals, but now its as much of a store as amazon.

Everything has a price, and something is only worth as much as someone else is willing to pay for it.

Out of production sets are obviously going to fetch more money since they are not readily available, its supply and demand at its finest. I rarely use ebay to buy anything anymore, unless its out of production, and then I know I'm going to pay a premium as I should.

Its just good business. The greedy part of me agrees with your rant, but the sensible side of me understands why its happening and it makes sense.

i couldn't have said it any better... i also think that the global aspect of the trade in Lego is working against the average fan. Ebay allows any one in the world to buy a product where ever the seller lives (more or less anyway), so you get tough competition between buyers on different continents. sure, it's all good business, but it's a shame that collecting Lego is becoming more and more a hobby of the upper classes...

Although I can understand the angst, how is it any different from Bricklink? $1300 for a MISB 10179? And that's the cheapest price out there? It's absurd.

I do understand the argument regarding auctions and BINs, but people are going to do what they have to for money these days. Lots of people are out of work. If they can make a living doing this, more power to them. It sucks for us though, that's for sure.

This thread seems to be turning into a display of ridiculous ebay auctions, and it's kind of funny.

You know,I dont mind using Ebay for some things.

What I do is buy either from Firestar toys or Bricklink

And by the way the worst price I have seen is £200 on bid for Jango fett,the sad thing is,I was the highest bid with £20 and then someone took it out of my hands :cry_sad:

I never understood why people list available items for higher than S@H, doesn't make sense to me. Some prices for even retired sets are crazy. I agree that they should be more than retail, but the markup on some is insane.

I only thing I'd "Buy It Now" option are individual figs.

Edited by Legocrazy81

I never understood why people list available items for higher than S@H, doesn't make sense to me. Some prices for even retired sets are crazy. I agree that they should be more than retail, but the markup on some is insane.

I only thing I'd "Buy It Now" option are individual figs.

You are not considering international buyers.

While I understand the need for sellers to get best value, as well as the international pricing aspect of current (or near current sets), I have to agree with the original poster’s displeasure at the BIN prices for older sets.

I almost see it like stocks, if you put it as auction you get market value. Or you can put it as BIN, which is essentially putting up the ‘ask’ price.

Unfortunately there isn’t really the same opposite facility on eBay to provide a 'bid' price – aka the buyer telling the world 'I Want to buy XYZ for this price' - which would be potentially a huge win for the buying community (the OBO option i believe is there on eBay but not used widely).

What I really don’t like about the BIN, is not necessarily that they have outlandish prices (though that’s not good either) but that they’re locking up inventory that is not being moved – since they price their BIN so high, it’s guaranteed to stay there indefinitely – or for a long long time without anyone purchasing. Which does neither side any good.

It seems now that most of the ‘professional’ eBayer’s that make a living doing this are using the BIN (thus guaranteeing their profit margin), where as the people liquidating their LEGO stock just want to get rid of it and use Auction. But this seems almost counter-intuitive as the professional eBayers are the ones that need to sell the most, it doesn't matter what your profit margin is if you don't sell!

If they put it into auction they won’t get the same return, but they would get A return. :wacko:

The funniest things I have seen on there are collectible minifig "cheat sheets" which go for about $1 and up. Anyone can find the same info via google for free. There is a sucker born every minute.

I love the Bay. Over the past 3 1/2 years I used it to get 95% of the sets I've purchased. Most of which have been long discontinued. Yes, I have seen ridiculous "Buy it nows" and bidders that bid 200% + for a MISB modulars. I, myself have never paid over 50% over original retail. Always aiming for low and deciding when too much is to much based on past sales. Works for me default_classic.gif