BeKindRewind

Which theme/subtheme did you miss and regret?

I wish I would have come out of my dark age a few years earlier and not missed the Fantasy sub-theme of Castle. It would have been nice to have been able to form large blocks of troll and dwarf troops at anything close to retail price. I've managed to pick up a few of the sets I had missed at just around retail off of BrickLink and eBay luckily but there are a few older sets I am going to need to wait on for now while I concentrate on picking up extra copies of the MMV which should be disappearing from the store shelves soon enough.

I maybe the only one, but, I miss the Dino Attack theme.

I thought the sets very very cool. We got a big helicopter, a hummer, and cool tank. The really liked the Dinos as well. Personally, I wish the theme lasted a couple of more years. They could have done a base with traps and cages. A Triceratops, Stegosaurus, and Plesiosaur in Dino Attack "size" and "style" would have been cool, IMO!

But, again, thats just me!

And as others have mentioned, the Modular Buildings, I got into the series too late and missed Market Street and Cafe Corner!

Jamie

I wish I had been able to obtain the Greengrocer.

I also regret not being able to obtain some of the batman stuff (the bat-tank especially)

More of the earlier (pre-flesh) HP would be nice too.

And some of the Spiderman stuff.

There are a few other sets here and there I wish I could afford as well like the police station with the light-up cop minifig and the base from Space Police III.

Here's a twist... how about themes I can get, but know I will regret not getting?

My LEGO budget can only go so far, and my tastes have been too varied. I've already scaled back on many themes... don't think I have to feel bad about missing out on yet another castle when I'm happy with the two I have; I've severely limited my SW purchases to OT and only if I don't already have it (IOW, if they come out with a new X-Wing or A-Wing or Y-Wing, I'll pass - no matter how good they are, I'll already have them).

But it's not enough, because, damn them, they keep coming out with more stuff... they brought back HP, and now they've got POTC...

So even though I build microscale castles, and even though I use LEGO to play Dungeons and Dragons, I simply can't bring myself to by the Heroica games. At a mere $85 for the entire set of games, it may not seem that bad, but I already buy too much.

I know I will regret missing them, I just can't bring myself to sink money into yet another new theme.

Never had a so called "dark age" but for a couple years I was at college I had to restrict myself to Star Wars only, so the only theme since 1988 that I wanted sets from but didn't get any was the 2007 Aqua Raiders, specifically the underwater base. Still keeping my eye out for one though. It's not particularly expensive, you can still find MISB sets that go for about retail price on ebay, they just don't show up very often.

Here's a twist... how about themes I can get, but know I will regret not getting?

My LEGO budget can only go so far, and my tastes have been too varied. I've already scaled back on many themes... don't think I have to feel bad about missing out on yet another castle when I'm happy with the two I have; I've severely limited my SW purchases to OT and only if I don't already have it (IOW, if they come out with a new X-Wing or A-Wing or Y-Wing, I'll pass - no matter how good they are, I'll already have them).

But it's not enough, because, damn them, they keep coming out with more stuff... they brought back HP, and now they've got POTC...

So even though I build microscale castles, and even though I use LEGO to play Dungeons and Dragons, I simply can't bring myself to by the Heroica games. At a mere $85 for the entire set of games, it may not seem that bad, but I already buy too much.

I know I will regret missing them, I just can't bring myself to sink money into yet another new theme.

I hear ya, there's themes I want to get, but just can't bring myself to collect yet another theme. Although, I told myself I wasn't going to get Pharaohs Quest or POTC, but I got them all minus Queen Annes Revenge...

Blacktron first series (second one looked lame) I had some blacktron but they were from space police, I never got any blacktron only sets. They were just so cool and sinister looking.

Like many others I came late to the party in regards to the modulars so I'm busily trying to catch up! I also regret not diving into the pirates theme and more specifically the pirate ships earlier but as the new QAR and Black Pearl roll out I may just take the plunge and seek out the entire lego fleet.

Definitely nearly half of the Batman stuff, and I am really annoyed at myself because of it - but I just didn't have enough cash to buy all of them.

And it would have been nice to get some Pirates sets and some old Harry Potter stuff.

My answers are not that different than apparently everyone else's, but I'll record them with the optimistic hope that TLG reads this stuff and realizes the potential bonanza that would result from re-opening these lines:

1. FORESTMEN!!!!!!! We NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED them, TLG!! Add the faction, you won't regret it!!
  2. BATMAN!! I used to be a dedicated SW-OT only collector. I walked past tons of these sets and now regret it.
  3. WESTERN! Totally part of my dark ages... I could really see these done impressively in today's world of high-end design techniques.'
  4. and finally TRADITIONAL LEGO PIRATES! We understand the licensing coup that PotC offered Lego, but let's all be perfectly honest here: They're not the same. I'd easily give up Capt. Jack and all of these new sets to see a return of Cap'n Brickbeard and Governor Broadside, yar!!

Edited by Mr. Elijah Timms

I regret missing Exo-Force, it happened during my dark ages. I was still able to buy many sets, but there are many which I wish I could get but are vanished off the shelves.

Edit: Oh, and Batman. On the other hand, my wallet would be happy for that. I don't feel healthy when I spend money on LEGO stuff that isn't sci-fi.

Edited by vexorian

I can't say I really regret, as I was still quite young and new to Lego but, missing out on city sets from the '90s-'96. I do regret not getting city sets from TLC during my dark age '04-'09. Thank you eBay :classic:

I think it was sad I missed the Fantasy Era. Such is life.

Thank God for Brick Link and eBay. :sweet:

I missed out on the classic Town era. I don't have any regrets though.

The whole western theme would be a big one that was missed in my dark ages, however after getting the 7740 12V passenger train for Christmas as a boy, I really wish that I stuck with the 12V trains moving onto the 9V era. The problem with growing up in the 80's in Australia meant there were not a lot of stores stocking the high end train sets and there was no such thing as the internet... :sad:

I missed out on the classic Town era. I don't have any regrets though.

When town started into the LEGO System reign of terror I don't think you missed much...

Edited by Outer Rim Trading Co.

oooh, boy! Where to start?

There's some sets I wish I had been able to get as a kid - I loved the Paradisa series, but only got three of the sets and now they're way too expensive. I only got a few castle and pirate sets. I'm a dedicated Castle fan so eventually, I know I'll get a lot those that I missed, but I don't know if I'll spend the cash/time to get Paradisa.

In my dark ages, I wish I could have gotten the Batman series, adventures, Western, studies, Ninja, Vikings, Avatar... I probably would have liked Exo-Force as I was a huge anime fan.

I got back into LEGO right at the end of the Fantasy Era so one of my main goals to get all of those, but some of them are freaking expensive.

I missed the beginning of the modular buildings so I'm doing my best to stay away from those. We'll see how long that lasts.

I'm okay with Harry Potter now that there's a bunch of new ones.

That about sums up the major ones that I missed and regret not getting and, for some, doubt I'll ever get.

I was between 8 and 14 years old,my weekly allowance of $5 did`nt go very far back then and it took months to save it up to get something big.I was torn between lego or gi joe toys,most of the time gijoe won out!So I missed out on alot of the cooler lego space themes from the late 1980`s to the mid 1990`s.Like blacktron 1,futron(futuron?),space police 1,space police 2,classic space(they were still availible for awhile).

Now 98% of my gijoe toys are destroyed or in pieces(which I still have)but my legos are still usable.Yes the white parts are yellowish,minifigures have stress cracks on their arms and sides,transparent parts are cloudy.

As my childhood friends over the years grew up and moved away they gave me their lego collections!So there are incomplete sets from those old themes that I missed.One friend was moving to Tokyo and he gave me a complete Black Seas Barracuda with the plastic trays,original instructions and the box!

I regret any Castle sets I've missed getting, and yes that includes the Jelly-bean Knight ones now that they are gone..

Mostly I regret not getting any Vikings or Avatar themed sets to point out a couple specific themes.

Batman, Western and the Santa Fe train. Luckily I will have a chance to aquire some Batman sets and other super hero's as well so that's pretty cool. I've almost won some of the western themed sets on eBay but lost out. The Santa Fe locomotive and cars are just too much. I just refuse to pay the going rate on those trains.

I wish I had more pirates as a kid, obviously it wasn't my call, since I was 8 - but I guess kids can influence what they want for christmas and such. I asked for action figures, not Lego.

And I agree with all those who said Batman. But not a big deal now anymore, since we're probably getting some new batman sets in 2012. Have we heard anything about what sets we're getting in the DC/Marvel lines?

And I agree with all those who said Batman. But not a big deal now anymore, since we're probably getting some new batman sets in 2012.

Not as big a deal, but still significant. I'm no Batman fan myself, but some people like the older style sets the same way I like the older Star Wars minifigs.

Miss: Vikings and Bionicle( HF just doesn't do it for me. I miss the sets that required more than just snapping limb segments together and slapping armor shells on.)

Regret: KK I and Pirates (07-09)

I was born after what I consider the golden age of LEGO, so I pretty much miss missing out on everything, but especially the classic pirate and castle sets. To me those just have a charm that today's sets even with awesome piece selections and colors just can't replicate.

It's not really a whole theme (well actually I miss most themes) but I just miss sets that featured Majesto. He was the only figure in the first set I ever got and it was the only set I could afford for about 8 months. As such he has always been my favorite minifig. I would like to see him come back and have a new fortress or something.