Swashbuckling buccaneer

Are POTC sets too expensive?

Are Pirates of the Caribbean sets too expensive?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think they are too expensive?

• Yes, way overpriced
    • Yes, but are on par with other licensed sets
    • No, price is fair
  2. 2. Will you still buy them?

I live in Czech Republic and here POTC sets are really expensive! For example 4193 escape from London costs 1600 czech crowns it´s 88 dolars.

Edited by Diidy

Well, IMHO, any LEGO sets at full retail are too expensive, but that's just because I'm cheap :pir-classic:

Very interesting to see the licensed set markup in Europe is so much more than in the US. I knew Europeans paid more in general, but didn't realize the licensed set markup was so much higher.

Clearly part of the price is to pay Disney the licensing fee. TLG may have had to pay different licensing fees for different parts of the world; that wouldn't be too unusual, although I doubt it really accounts for all of the difference.

My guess is that retail competition is keener in the US, and that's holding down the prices. TLG is not a charity; they must model the overall expected profit at multiple price points and choose the best scenario for themselves. I suspect that the average retailer's markup in the US is lower than that in Europe, thus they can set a lower MSRP. Been a while since I lived in Europe, but back in the late 90s it was clear that retailing competition was much lower than in the US, and sales and discounts far fewer and more controlled by the government. So TLG may actually be getting the same revenue from the retailers (or wholesalers) in Europe and US, but the difference is in the markup.

I tend to get most of the currently-available sets when they go on sale or if a shop has offers like "Buy 2 Get 3rd Free". The latter is what I used when I got my two POTC sets, The Mill abd London Escape.

So yes, I think POTC is expensive, but I think most LEGO is in the UK.

It would be interesting to visually represent people's opinions - how about we add poll?

I like that idea. POLL added.

I think that the sets are definitely expensive, maybe too expensive. However, I think the telling factor for me is just how good pretty well all the sets are. I won't get the average/below average ones, but currently all the sets are, in my opinion so good that the price tag, however high, seems justifiable. I love the minifigs, the new parts, the designs, etc, etc.

However, in the interests of my wallet, I will most certainly take advantage of sales/clearance. :pir-sweet:

Well for anyone who's interested in the UK, Argos are selling the Isla De Muerta set for just over £16 and the Captains Cabin set for about £8.50. It's a small saving but betterthan a kick in the teeth.

I think everything is expensive now! With the price of petrol being so astronomical now I hardly notice the lego costs.

Living in Australia it's hard not to look at US prices and think we're getting a raw deal over here.

But if you look at the minimum wage in both countries it all seems fair enough.

LEGO is a luxury item and must be treated as such.

Isla Muerta, 152pcs

US: 20 usd

Europe: 27 euro (38 usd)

Out of curiosity: does the quoted Euro price include a VAT tax? When I was in Portugal, it seemed like the stated price was the full price to pay, but I'm not sure if it is the same throughout Europe/UK.

I realize there is still a difference if you include American sales tax (anywhere from 4-10% depending on the state) but that would reduce the discrepancy a little.

I was going to get them, still may. But, they seem priced more than usual, much like Star Wars. I guess. Ecause it's a licensed theme. I'm wondering, how are these sets in the whole price per piece ratio? I'm no good with math, so that's why I'm asking.

Closed because this is a duplicate topic (already being discussed).

Edited by Mister Phes
Might as well merge them...

Perhaps if we could compare the weight of each set with the price it would give a more accurate representation of value for the money. Of course there are other variables to consider like printing vs. stickers, special designed bricks, licensing contracts, etc. But, I think you will find that prices have indeed gone up overall as is expected.

Here's a whacky reason for higher prices, the cardboard and plastic bag for the instruction booklet plus the posters and card ? :pir-laugh:

I have all my sets I want now, so I'm done - bring on the mid-year releases.

Keep on drinking that rum ! :pir-laugh:

The sets do seem expensive even compared to the SW sets. It's disappointing to find they are cheaper in the US too. I understand that the custom moulds must cost a lot to make but surely the licensing shouldn't be such a large cost. For Disney I would have thought that part of the exercise was publicising the new film? Making a lot of money from licensing something that's advertising sounds like having your cake and eating it!

It is actually the other way around. These days, Disney movies are big advertisements for the merchandise. The majority of Disney's income comes from merchandising. George Luca's entire fortune is built upon leveraging the Star Wars brand.

Here's a whacky reason for higher prices, the cardboard and plastic bag for the instruction booklet plus the posters and card ? :pir-laugh:

I have all my sets I want now, so I'm done - bring on the mid-year releases.

Keep on drinking that rum ! :pir-laugh:

I'm sure that also add's to the cost, but not too much.

I think on the whole the pricing seems fair but what you have to remember is that Disney may have asked for a larger licensing fee than Lucasarts did.

People assume the licenses should be the same price but they won't be. Lucas may not make as much as people think from the lego license as it's good advertising for him. Disney may have seen this as more of a short license and decided to get as much money as they can.

I vote that they are overpriced, but mainly because here in Europe ALL prices are overpriced compared to US ones. if I could buy all the potc sets with US prices (~375$) I could save something like 175+ € or 250+ $ !!! so? how should I call those prices? anyway, I will surely buy them, but maybe through US market and got them shipped to my country...

I cannot imagine when I'll move to Asia which kind of prices will I have to face!!!

what does TLC thinks? that we are the fat cows that can be easily milked???

when I see those differences, I really get upset! why don't they put these prices in US market? I really want to see how many people would keep buying lego!

(sometimes I wonder if I choose the right hobby)

have a nice (if you can) lego day

mrBlue

Edited by mrblue

I think that they are expensive but they seem to be a reasonable price for what I want. Additionally, I am only planning on getting several of the smaller sets for parts rather than the bigger sets.

when I see those differences, I really get upset! why don't they put these prices in US market? I really want to see how many people would keep buying lego!

I remember reading something about copyright laws and how TLG had better protection for their product inside the EU as opposed to the U.S. This allowed Megablocks and similar companies to use more Lego designs and consquently, Lego had stiffer competition in the U.S. This was a while ago so I'm not sure if the laws have changed but this might be one reason for the lower U.S. prices.

Even for licensed sets I find them quite expensive. Nevertheless Dutch online stores offer reductions of 25 to 30%, so that's fine.

I must say though that the prices are high, but the quality is as well: excellent printings, excellent pieces and lots of printed tiles in some of the sets. As long as one gets good quality, I'm willing to pay a bit more. I find that especially the mid-sized sets are worth it.

By the way interestingly it seems that the sets don't sell that well in the Netherlands, but the individual minifigs are extremely popular on Marktplaats (the local equivalent of e-bay). So may be people want the figs but not the sets...

Edited by KristofBD

Digustingly overpriced. They fail to justify their cost. I would want diamond encrusted bricks in the Queen Anne's Revenge for the price it's sold for.

If I were to go with the attitude of "all Lego sets are too expensive", then yes POTC stuff would be overpriced. However, looking at Canadian prices for the theme I think they are very fair. I've gone to compare all of the POTC sets with everything else that is currently available and they are nearly at the top of the list for best price to piece ratios. I'm not however the biggest fan of price to piece ratio rules for Lego; so having bought some of the sets myself and just looking at the size of them for the price I paid they are slightly less good value. The sets that I've bought though have great playability and some neat pieces, so I'm fine with the prices I paid.

I think it depends on where you're purchasing the sets. Through traditional retail outlets I'd say YES! They are too expensive, but I've been buying the sets through online means and been saving upto 40%.