Artifex

Favourite castle set

Which one is the coolest-looking or your favourite castle (you may find one cool, but not your fav) of all times (so far)?

I really love the Royal Knight's Castle, Black Monarch's Castle and King's Leo Castle designs, but the Crusaders' King's Castle was always the one of my childhood. I guess that's why I'm getting a new castle after all these years - the new 7946 Kingdom's Castle, which looks so much as the Crusaders' King's Castle!

What about you?

By far my favorite of all time is 6086 Black Knight’s Castle. I wanted this set so bad when I was a kid, but never got a chance to get it. I was lucky to get a complete set on ebay for less than $100.00

Well, there's a lot of good designed castles. In my top 5 are for sure 6085 black monarch's castle, 6086 black knight's castle, 6090 Royal Knight's Castle, and the 2 more recent castles. But it's really hard for me to decide which one would be the best, as every of these has it's plus points. There are also a few castles, that i like more for their play features and interior as for the design, for example 10176 king's castle, which has really nice details like the blacksmith area in the "cellar" of the castle.

My favourite is the 6086 Black Knight's Castle.

There are just so many excellent design features and the set looks bigger than its piece count...ish. If you understand what I mean

Which one is the coolest-looking or your favourite castle (you may find one cool, but not your fav) of all times (so far)?

I still think that 6086 was the coolest-looking castle, by far. I HAD hoped to see that released as a 'Legend' one day.

6080.......by far, i miss it so much, remeber the xmas when i was6 and i got it. when i was ten so kid stole the whole thing... long story, but ive whanted it again ever since... :cry_sad:

I still think that 6086 was the coolest-looking castle, by far. I HAD hoped to see that released as a 'Legend' one day.

I like 6059 Knight´s Stronhold because it contains the only ever released heavy armored Black Hawk knight.

Ok, well... all heavy armored knights of the early 90s are fantastic. No matter, if they are Crusaders, Black Hawks, Black Knights or something else. But the Black Hawk is very special. He is unique. There is just one set, that contains him :classic:

Ok, well, it is not a real castle... so I have to say Black Monarchs (although I do not like the old knights with grill helmes und the printed breastplate)

Edited by josykay

By far my favorite of all time is 6086 Black Knight’s Castle. I wanted this set so bad when I was a kid, but never got a chance to get it. I was lucky to get a complete set on ebay for less than $100.00

Pretty much copy and paste every single word haha. For some odd reason Kings Carriage is right up there too (never got it)

I read so many castle reviews these past two-three days that although my favorite castle is still the 6080, there's a combination of features from different castle settings that i think would make for the "perfect" castle (IMHO, that is - pleae don't get offended in any way):

* The 6074, Black Falcons' Fortress and its cool, solid design which says "it may not be a castle, but it does feel like one" (hey, it's even got a drawbridge, folks!), one of the coolest keeps ever and the overall 'feel' of this set (not to mention the way they blended a little bit of yellow with all that grey and the black roofs);

* The 6081, King's Mountain Fortress and its overall, simple and functional design (drawbridge gate on the front, keep in the back, patio on the side, another playing area on the other side and a wall between them), the balcony right by the drawbridge and the "lower" arched wall on the right side of this fortress (nice combination of tall and not-so-tall walls);

* The 6085, Black Monarch's Castle and its solid, impressive design which says "don't mess with the guys in this castle!", the different and original design of the drawbridge tower (with two windows in the front) and the overall design (with drawbridge tower in the front and two smaller towers in the back);

* The 6086, Black Knight's Castle and its ingenious design (with drawbridge tower, keep on the side and two smaller towers), the amazing keep structure (it's amazing the way its red + yellow colors add so much to this castle!) the red roofs (in the drawbridge tower and the keep- roofs rule) and again (like in 6081, King's Mountain Fortress), the tall wall on the side and not-so-tall one on the other;

* The 6090, Royal Knight's Castle and the two nice towers: the gate entrance one and the drawbridge tower (castles looks so much cooler when they have drawbridges!), the roof on both towers (that's a nice addition to overall Lego castle design, IMHO), the well (what a nice and lively touch!), and, of course, the secret passage!;

* The 7094, King's Castle Siege and one of the coolest designs ever, keep plus tall tower and some of the coolest Castle minifigs in any set;

* The 10176, Knights' Kingdom King's Castle and the many armored minifigs, overall design (with many towers all around and one main more spatious "wizard tower"), the blacksmith area and the skeleton with the rat;

* The 7946, King's Castle and the keep and tall tower (and that IS a nice and tall tower) many separate structures, the great figures (design, color, armor...), modularity (always expanding!), decoration and overall design of the castle as a whole (tower roof, windows, doors);

Add all that to a spatious castle as the 6080 and voilà! you have the perfect castle! (Or as close to that as you can get, IMHO). What the 6080 lacks in ingenious design (hey, it's the father of all castles, the original one, don't you forget that! (ok, ok, I do know about the yellow one)), it's got in space, functionality, playability and modularity (and don't forget you can add many things to its spatious interior).

What I feel that many castles lack is more minifigs and horses - the older ones brought more than the newest ones do, but they didn't have all those cool breastplates and helms; the newest ones have the coolest armor and fig design and art, but there are just too few minifigs to man our castles properly and too few horses for a charge. But that can be overcome with a couple of Battle Packs, I guess.

On the side: I have to say the Lions (Crusaders) and the Black Falcons are my favorite Castle minifigs ever! The figs from 7094 (King's Castle Siege) and 7946 (King's Castle) run a close second (great art), with the Black Knights as third.

EDIT: I decided to add some links to make it easier to find the mentioned features.

Edited by Artifex

6080.......by far, i miss it so much, remeber the xmas when i was6 and i got it. when i was ten so kid stole the whole thing... long story, but ive whanted it again ever since... :cry_sad:

One thing that was sooooo awesome about 6080 (and other castles from that era): the number of minifigs! 6080 has FOUR mounted knights and another EIGHT men-at-arms!

I still have to go with 375. From a technical standpoint it was, and still is, the only truly Lego castle because everything was brick-built. There are no big wall plates and even the horses are brick-built. From an emotional angle, it was the first set I remember MOCing from. There was some manner of model or diorama contest and I used the parts from 375 for my entry. While I didn't win, well maybe I got some BS paper certificate, but mine was way cooler than the kid who just stuck a bunch of GI-Joes on AstroTurf and called it a diorama.

Edited by gotoAndLego

I might no be allowed to hold this opinion in the Historic Themes section, but my favorite castle is the Orient Expedition Dragon Fortress. This castle is one imposing beast, has great play features, and really uses the raised baseplate to its full potential. I have the same raised baseplate from King Leo's Castle, and it is really underused in that set.

The Dragon Fortress is massive, heavy, and quite a castle to behold. Aside from the Adventurers figs, it also comes with great Chinese figures for historical MOCs.

I throw in my vote for the Black Knight's Castle. It came out when I was quite young, but I was lucky that as a teenager I convinced a friend of mine to trade me his complete set for a Game Boy Color. While I think the Crown Knights and the new Kingdoms line have been and are exceptional, the old Black Knights Castle still stands supreme as my favorite castle set of all time.

Tough question, but it's gotta be 6086. There are many nice castles, but this one stands out in so many ways: nice structure, lots of detail, great use of the raised baseplate, good color scheme, minifigures, equipment...

My favorite is the 6085 Black Monarch's Castle. I remember as a kid, I felt the raised baseplates on the subsequent castles were 'cheating' us out of bricks! :laugh:

6077 Forestmen River Fortress, by any means and without further comments, the best castle set ever released!

Weird thing though than no one mentioned MMV which is pretty second on my top.

:jollyroger:

Edited by dJOLe_sk8

Tough choice - especially since I sadly don't own any actual castles myself. But probably 6086. But tough, because there are several awesome ones.

Sadly i dont own any of the older sets,i do however own 7946 King’s Castle from this years Kingdoms theme.I love it! I also have 7097 Trolls Mountain Fortress,its another great set that hasnt been mentioned yet-

142896_L.jpg

6077 Forestmen River Fortress, by any means and without further comments, the best castle set ever released!

:jollyroger:

Im am slowly collecting the old Forest men sets,this is next on my hit list! :sweet:

Edited by charlieboy

6073 Knight's Castle. Not exactly the biggest ever made, but an essential part of my childhood. I knew every nook of that castle, as well as my own room. Rebuilt it for the first time in years earlier this year, and now have it stored in its own self-contained plastic container. I've bought tons of sets as an AFOL, but none will ever be as treasured as the Black Falcons castle from my childhood. :cry_happy:

Edited by Mr. Elijah Timms

The 'real' classic castle sets - the Yellow Castle as numero uno and then the Knight's Tournament set.

Check the goodies here

:tongue:

The 'real' classic castle sets - the Yellow Castle as numero uno and then the Knight's Tournament set.

Check the goodies here

:tongue:

I actually had the knight's tournament too... but that didn't survive all that well. With the exception of the blue knight, very few pieces of this set made it out alive. I do have some of the torsos, and the flags as well. AND in one of my moves I seem to have lost the little red flip-up faceplate somewhere in storage... ugh.

Edited by Mr. Elijah Timms

6086 Black Knight’s Castle. Its look is simply priceless. It has four knights, and many foot soldiers. The the Black Knights are just the coolest looking of all Castle Themes.

Each age of castle lego seems to bring a different view on the medieval theme.

I like the original yellow castle but yellow for a castle (even though they exist in the real world) just doesn't seem right. Also the draw bridge entrance was too small and the horse looked like roof tiles. The knight helmets were too small and they had no plumes. Although the castle as a whole looks extremely good it lacks refinement, (and please stickers for shields). Overall a great first castle but needs refinement.

The 1984 Lions castle introduced a really good look, however the knights helmets no longer had visors and there was no knights armour. The new flags and the lions shields with crossed jousting sticks was a nice touch.This castle was missing corner pieces and the entrance was too narrow to fit a cart. Overall an excellent relaunch of the medieval theme but not quite the complete package.

The 1992 Black Knight's castle had all the ingredients of a great castle except it could not be opened out to form a wall as it was mounted on a base plate. The house like structure and different dragon flags, with very good looking knights made this one of the best. This is probably my favourite to look at but not as versitile as the other designs.

The 2010 Kingdoms castle combines a lot of the good parts of previous castles and gives your more flexiblity in modifying the design. However the knight count is low and it doesn't come with an armour lion knight (just dragon and king). The new knights helmet is one of best helmets since the visor released in 1990. The dragon's knight colour is also very good.

So overall each castle has its pros and cons and I know it sounds like a cop out but I find it really hard to pick one single favourite or best. :knight:

I would have to say the coolest looking castle for me is #6093 Flying Ninja Fortress. Nice creative design and a good looking set.

However for those who feel the Ninja line should not count, then I have always liked #6098 King Leo's Castle.