166 members have voted

1. 1. Vote your opinion!

• Poor
    • Below average
    • Average
    • Above average
    • Outstanding

Great review CopMike, you lucky dog.

The minifigs look great. That Boba looks awesome, and Bossk would make a nice addition to my collection. But I just can't see dropping $70 on a set that I already have twice (the original and 6209). Especially since it doesn't look any better than the '06 version. No worse, but no better.

When I win the lottery, yes. But not before.

Wow. What a lovely set with awesome minifigs. I am very glad indeed now that I didn't buy the last Slave I. :cry_happy:

Thank you for this awesome review CopMike. :classic:

Thank you very much for this great review, CopMike! :classic:

I voted for

Average

Pro:

- awesome minifigs

- great design of the Slave I

- great design of the carbonite block

Contra:

- only three minifigs

- Han is needless (since there is even no carbonite freezing chamber included in this set)

- completely overpriced for which you get (even if it contains of course many bricks)

- nothing really new included

- no bombs to throw down

- "openable storage room" is complete nonsense since (like you can see in a picture that was already posted in this topic) the carbonite block is transported on the ramp into the inside of the Slave I - and not below it

- no decent cockpit (Boba has to pilot his vehicle with his feet since the control panel is located that on the bottom and he falls out of his chair since there is simply no chair)

All in all:

It's really a nice set - but I must say that I see no improvement over the last version. Imo the last version was even better since it included more minifigs and bombs to throw down and nevertheless was not that expensive. Of course we get a more accurate Boba and carbonite block and even a new Bossk in this new 2010 version - but imo that does not justify that price.

Klaus-Dieter

That is a really nice ad for the CW sets, but I still don't see where the skull and horn sticker goes.

Thank you very much for this great review, CopMike! :classic:

I voted for

Average

Pro:

- awesome minifigs

- great design of the Slave I

- great design of the carbonite block

Contra:

- only three minifigs

- Han is needless (since there is even no carbonite freezing chamber included in this set)

- completely overpriced for which you get (even if it contains of course many bricks)

- nothing really new included

- no bombs to throw down

- "openable storage room" is complete nonsense since (like you can see in a picture that was already posted in this topic) the carbonite block is transported on the ramp into the inside of the Slave I - and not below it

- no decent cockpit (Boba has to pilot his vehicle with his feet since the control panel is located that on the bottom and he falls out of his chair since there is simply no chair)

All in all:

It's really a nice set - but I must say that I see no improvement over the last version. Imo the last version was even better since it included more minifigs and bombs to throw down and nevertheless was not that expensive. Of course we get a more accurate Boba and carbonite block and even a new Bossk in this new 2010 version - but imo that does not justify that price.

Klaus-Dieter

+1

I like 6209 (2006) better, frankly, mostly because of the colors, but having been in non-train dark ages at that time, I missed out on many cool ships that LEGO is redoing in one way or another this year; I got the A-Wing from the Home One, I'll get this new Slave-1, and I'll get the Snow Speeder from the Wampa Cave.

The 6209 is selling for WAY more, used and incomplete, than I expect the new one to sell for brand new, so I'll be quite happy with it.

I'm also really intrigued by those curved green "macaroni" style pieces... I'm wondering if they appear in other sets.

how did you get the set

Santa brought it. :tongue:

Does it really matter?

No, I didn't think so. :grin:

Very good review, with a nice ammount of pictures. This is one of the coolest air-crafts from the Star Wars universe, and it really looks like they have made an allmost perfect version this time. Cool minifigs and all. I hope this is the final minifig size version of Slave One LEGO makes, now all we need is a UCS SLAVE One, to match all the other cool UCS sets.

Thanks for the pictures Copmike.

Morten

I currently own All of Lego's slave 1's. And personally, I like this one best. Nice figs, even if only a few (it's a slave 1, only 1 pilot anyway). I think It's the best representation of the set lego has done yet, so I applaud them for that. I plan to get it, dispite some people thinking it's not so great, simply because its an amazing model (IMO, of course)

Thanks for the great review Copmike!

Legoman

I second your post Legoman!

Think I will get rid of the shooting mechanism though. Part from that I like this version the best.

Minifigs is awesome as well. I never dreamt about getting a Bossk.

Guess it was decided to add him since he has some screen time in the CW series.

Good review CM!! Nice to see all the pieces laid out like that. Me like.

I'm sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but I'm another one who isn't so sure about this new colour scheme. A big plus for the dark green, but a big negative for the dark red - at the moment. My opinion might change when or if I buy the set. I already own the last three, so I'm not sure about this one. And to echo other's voices, 6209 was a bargain. It had more pieces than Jango Fett's Slave 1, but was cheaper. 7153, 360 pieces, £45.00. 6209, 537 pieces, £40.00. Go figure! 2006 must have been a period of good economic climate.

The new one looks to have a similar number of pieces to 6209, but has an estimated price of £70.00! *huh*

I'm not sure I'll be doing myself any favours by buying it.

But back to colour, and that dark red. Every picture I see of the new Slave 1, including those in this review, makes the dark red look far from the dark red that I know from sets such as 7143 Jedi Starfighter or 7113 Tusken Raider Encounter.

All the other colours in the pictures match up with what they are in my collection - sand green looks like sand green, dark green looks like dark green, and so on, but the dark red doesn't match.

If anyone on the forum owns the new slave one and an older craft that uses the dark red, could you maybe take a single picture of the two vehicles together, or at least a dark red brick/element from each, so I can see? People are telling me it's dark red, but my eyes don't see it in the pictures. I'm seeing brownish red.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks :thumbup:

A great review that I had forgotten to comment on! I feel that this set is a must buy because the new Boba, Han and Bossk figs are incredible (yes I even like the new carbonite piece) and while the Slave 1 is basically a remake of 6209 it is still a great design save the cockpit. Besides, maybe the new carbonite and Han can be used if we get the Cloud City remake we all want!

I just built this set myself. I don't like the new Boba Fett. His colour scheme doesn't go very well together. :(

In my opinion this is totally the ultimate Slave I set! :wub:

I'll get it as soon as possible!

But it's difficult... you know, there are so many other cool sets, life's tough for a Lego fan! :grin:

Thanks CopMike for your early and great review!

Santa brought it. :tongue:

Does it really matter?

No, I didn't think so. :grin:

It does if he wants to get it on his own and doesn't think to check Amason. You know kids these days :laugh: .

You know I'm joking, lt.Gonville brickhead, don't you?

I finally built my 6209 the other night and it's a fantastic set. I like the design and detail of the ship as well as the levers for the door and the big missile. Unless there is a huge sale or I have a moment of weakness, I don't think I'll bother with the 8097.

I just built this set myself. I don't like the new Boba Fett. His colour scheme doesn't go very well together. :(

I also built the new Slave I last Friday... and as a proud owner of the 6209 Slave I, I too was disappointed with the newer Slave I.

I don't like the colors much, the build is practically exactly the same as the 6209 and the missile launcher works, but much worse than in the 6209. More importantly, Boba fett was a real let down. His helmet is overly detailed in color, and just goes beyond Lego design and looks more like a Hasbro action figure helmet. I guess I don't like the look of the painted visor much either. And adding a face to Boba Fett ruins the magic of he 'faceless' bounty hunter: it actually gives him too much character. I don't mind the costume much though: it looks good enough. The set also includes too many stickers. In fact, most of the stickers add very little extra to the look of the vehicle. Design wise, Lego still haven't designed the turning wings to swivel in the correct 'movie' style. I also still dislike the cockpit turning with the wings.

To add insult to injury, my set had a slight problem with a wrong part included. Instead of including four dark bley 2x3 plates with clip, my set actually included only three 2x3 plates with clip... and a light bley 2 x 4 plate! A useful new part, but the strange thing is that this 2x4 plate isn't actually used anywhere in the set AT ALL. It's an alien part to this set!

What I do like is the new Carbonite block, and of course Bossk...

Conclusion: I guess that for all those SW fans who do not own the 6209, this is an excellent replacement for it. But in my opinion, the 6209 Slave I is still the better model...

Seeing as the only model of this ship I have is the first 7144 version, I'm definitely gonna have to get this! Boba Fett's new design :wub:

Thank you for the review. This is indeed a great set.

Since I am back to Lego, I am currently aquainting some sets (for new pieces and so on). And since it was my birthday last week and the Slave I got available here in Germany, I ordered it for me. I must say, that for the piece count, the set is pretty pricy. But, I wanted something special. So this is my first Slave I. I got it last friday and since I had time, I immediately built it.

The build itself goes pretty smooth. Though, you should use a hard surface for it. I build on my bed, since I have not much space at the moment. That said, in the early build stages I had some smaller problems with the build falling apart sometimes. But as you add pieces, the whole thing gets more sturdy and stable. In the end, you have a very nice ship, which is also very swooshable. It's funny to fly it around the room, trying to make the engine noise of the Slave I.

The figures are great. Though I had 2 Hans before, but no Boba or Bossk (and directly the cool new version). So these are a great addition. And the carbonite piece is brilliant, much better than from the old sets.

I really like the coloring, though it is not very accurate.

The only downturn I found for me, is, that the upper beam of the wings is not connected on the ship's side. This could be improved. Perhaps I'll do some modding there. This was solved better in 6209. There the coloring was more accurate, too. If I make the mod according to the example of 6209, then the wings would get more sturdy, too. Currently, they are a bit wobbly.

In any case I had a lot of fun with the build. The design is pretty good and I like it a lot. I knew, that this ship woul be big, but I didn't think that it would be that big. And there are a lot of parts, that I didn't have before. So it is a great addition to my current collection.

So what to get next? Perhaps the AT-AT, because I am lacking one of those, too. But, that's even more expensive ;)

edit:

I forgot to mention, that I kinda like the rapid fire mechanism for the ff-missiles. But, they could have made it more stable and sturdy, too. So there some modding will be necessary, too.

Edited by Balrog