Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Green or Grey?

Which color do you prefer?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Green or Grey

• Green
    • Grey

I would prefer green ones in my small village I am working on but I only have dark grey ones. As long as the buildings are on green it looks okay I guess. Too bad there are no green ones for sale here, actually getting the grey ones was quite difficult already.

Then again in an urban setting the green plates would be totally out of place.

That's a great and very interesting topic, TheBrickster! :thumbup:

I voted for

grey roadplates

simply since the most City sets you can put together to a town layout are downtown buildings. And since there are mainly sidewalks in downtown cities it looks more realistic to have grey roadplates. Plus the most baseplates of City sets are grey, too, so these fit nuch better together.

But I personally don't like the new grey roadplates since

1. there are too many sink traps printed on them

2. they look a bit <insert that tiresome argument>

3. you can not buy only straight or only curved or only T-juncitons or only X-junctions but always have to buy a set which mixes theme - that makes them very expensive and you get so many street plates of which you do not need many (e. g. I need many streight road plates but nearly no curved ones).

Because of this reason I prefer the old grey baseplates you can even find in my city layout of Legostadt.

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

I also will keep from voting. I have only the dark bley roadplates, but I think that the different ones are nice for different things. The green ones really are best for country roads and such, as sidewalks are usually present even in the suburbs.

I use mix - grey for serious down town area and green for a bit further area. I use 9 and 8 stud plates, these new 6 stud ones look very junior to me with printed wells. If I have to one day to use the new ones then I would choose now grey as the look less awful.

I've never seen any green sidewalk -- even in the smallest villages --, so I definitively vote for grey.

Light vs. dark grey depends on the vehicles you have the most, since light grey roadplates fit 4-stud vehicules why recent dark grey roadplates allow 6-stud trucks & buses.

Green is lively and interesting, but can only by used in rural areas, whereas grey suits the "city" look much better. The problem with roadplates anyway is that they look somehow weird and are almost impossible to combine when placed alongside the CC-style modular buildings. Tiling them over would not be a solution either since that way you get a pavement that's simply _too_ wide to look realistic and you're back to the drawing table...

I personally have tried to think of a solution to this problem and so far have come up with the idea of placing the modular sets as they are (as opposed to changing their pavement width), then placing a street baseplate in front... and then using rails. Yeah, rails. A tram that goes along both sides of the actual road and remains a bit "hidden" because of the extra pavement tiles you'd use on top of it and on the entire street baseplate. That way the pavement remains OK and not too wide and you can add a great feature to liven up your streets.

I'll try to do this and post a few pics to show you guys how it looks.

I prefer the grey (dark bley to be specific) road plates. Green plates can be added on top of a grey plate to create grass or parkland The green plates look a bit tacky (IMO). I also like the strictly white road markings on the dark grey plates. Still, where possible I prefer brick-built roads (grey, dark grey or black) as they can be built at varrying thicknesses allowing for four-lane roads without a median.

I grew up with the old 80's OldGrey roadplates, but to be honest my favourite roadplates are the green ones which came right after.

So I have to go with green... Green baseplates and green roadplates because my kind of Legoland town is always a quite suburb, or a countryside village.

I guess the current larger-street DkStone roadplates are too large and too dark anyway for my tastes, for a big city centre I'd still prefer the OldGrey narrower roadplates.

I like using both. :sweet:

For like inner city MOCs I use the grey ones. But for more the out-in-the-middle-of-no-where-mocs I use the green ones I have. I only have 2 grey ones though. :sceptic:

I personally have tried to think of a solution to this problem and so far have come up with the idea of placing the modular sets as they are (as opposed to changing their pavement width), then placing a street baseplate in front... and then using rails. Yeah, rails. A tram that goes along both sides of the actual road and remains a bit "hidden" because of the extra pavement tiles you'd use on top of it and on the entire street baseplate. That way the pavement remains OK and not too wide and you can add a great feature to liven up your streets.

I'll try to do this and post a few pics to show you guys how it looks.

That tram idea sounds interesting. I can't wait to see pics :classic:

I prefer gray roads for town becouse it has like a sidewalk or somthing but for highway's are green better.

Sorry when my english is wrong. :classic:

I think this question is too complex to be answered one or the other.

Obviously the grey roadplates with actual roads on them are better for MOC's with streets in mind.

But if I was going to build a modular building, I'd want all the studs there so green would be my choice.

But if I was going to build a modular building, I'd want all the studs there so green would be my choice.

Big Cam, TheBrickste's question regards the colour of roadplates... not baseplates :wink:

As to what you said there - roadplates are only good for Classic Town buildings, and even those can't really be big enough to look realistic if built solely on a roadplate.

I prefer dark bley roadplates, however the straight ones seem difficult to get without wasting alot of extra money, due to the stupid packing way (1 straight, 1 crossroad). :angry: I have a lot of the older green ones (and pretty many old gray ones too), but I don´t really like them, as the streets are a bit too narrow, and they don´t really give that 'city-look' I´m after. The green ones are great for building suburbs or villages, though. :classic:

Edited by Dennimator

I voted grey. The old green roadplates have the roads wide enough for the classic 4 wide vehicles, where the grey are for 4 and 6 wide vehicles. Grey looks like concrete for footpaths, floors or roadways, not saying green doesn't have it's place still. I would use green ones if I was doing a retro 1980's lego town. Now I come to think of it, the first road plates were old light grey as I remember my first Shell servo (1978) had a light grey road plate.

I'm with grey on this. I have many more green baseplates though. :tongue:

I prefer dark bley roadplates, however the straight ones seem difficult to get without wasting alot of extra money, due to the stupid packing way (1 straight, 1 T-junction).

Actually, the straight and T-junction are sold seperately (they come with an intersection and a corner, respectively).

Which is extremely annoying, since straight roads and T-junctions are the most used roadplates to begin with (I like to have my buildings next to studs, not at the dead end of an intersection). You end up with another useless corner or intersection every time you buy one of those. Grrrr....

Edited by Rapseflaps

Well speaking theoretically it is possible to have tram track built level with a base plate.

Instead of a line of studs on one side of the street of the road plate you have the track line the same height as the stud.

However this means you need alot of Road Plates to make a circle and have a complete track. I think LEGO should make Road Plates like that and sell them separately. As it would be quite crazy and expensive if they were to make a set with all those Road plates.

Now back on topic I think Dark Grey or Bley Road plates look the best. Green is cleaner but just doesn't feel right. Also green trees and planters when placed on the streets of the road plate look much more visible and contrast on a Grey plate over a green plate where it just seems to blend in more.

Actually, the straight and T-junction are sold seperately (they come with an intersection and a corner, respectively).

Which is extremely annoying, since straight roads and T-junctions are the most used roadplates to begin with (I like to have my buildings next to studs, not at the dead end of an intersection). You end up with another useless corner or intersection every time you buy one of those. Grrrr....

Yeah, sorry, I meant crossroads, not T-junctions. :grin:

Yup, thats the bad part, and basically that means that you will have to pay double the prize for the plate, as you mostly don´t use the other plate. :thumbdown:

I like an urban/downtown setting; I'm already 2/4 on the Exclusive Modulars and I can't imagine them even having a patch of green in front. That said, I probably will try to get enough money anyway to cover up the studs with 2x2 plates when I do get roadplates, so I guess it doesn't matter for me. I'd probably go for any set that gives me 2x straight/T/Curve/Intersection though :P

I prefer the older style grey for the city and the older style green for the countryside. In the city the studed sides become metered car parks and between the studs and side line becomes a cycle lane. see my video for example.

I prefer green roadplates.

Either you need a sidewalk and then you may cover it with tiles, or you are in the countryside and then green is better.

It's much more colorful too. I'm a bit fed up with bley and black colors.

Green is less annoying with a train layout. You can easily put roads and tracks without having to put buildings on grey studs to fill the gaps.

In the 60ies, road were sometimes brick-red. Why not having green and red roadplates ?