Sign in to follow this  
Emperor Claudius Rome

Preliminary Pirate set from the 80's - it was never released!

I wonder why Lego didn't release it?

Looks to me as though it was intended to be a Castle sub-theme but some might have said "Hey, what happens if we add pirates?"

Or maybe It was because of price issues?

I think so, this would be a crazy big set for those days.

It can also be an old MOC from somebody i think.... :pir-look:

This doesn't look like a set at all, more like an old moc. I think this was made for an idea book or something similar, but was scrapped when a lot of pieces and minifigs didn't make the cut (some of them look very nice, but it is hard to judge from these pictures, they aren't very clear).

:pir-look: That thing has way too many minifigs and buildings to be an official set. It might not have as many pieces as some of the bigger sets today, but Lego has not yet come out with a set that has that many figs. I think it's just a MOC. :pir-wink:

It looks like pictures Lego put together to 'pitch' new themes.

There were some in the latest issue of BrickJournal focusing on space (that made me drool. I highly recommend buying a copy.) These look like they came out of SDCC where I had heard some more pictures were displayed in a presentation.

So, its not actually a set but it is preliminary Lego prototype. And there are a lot of good things in these pictures.

The hairpieces in the 'pirate' picture !

The buffalo !!

Some of the underwater creations !!!

I almost think we should ask a mod to retitle this thread as I'm sure it would get a lot more traffic if people knew there were more pictures at the link.

Thanks for sharing this great find.

-Tohst

Arrrrrrrr.....now I'm plenty mad that there were Lego Buffalo Made but never produced. The ultimate tease!!!!!

Like Tohst suggests, i think this was more likely to be a promotional picture rather than a set. I remember (As i'm sure many others do) when the lego catalog used to have quite impressive pictures like these in the middle of the page featuring all the sets to create a scene. My guess would be that those were perhaps 4 or 5 different sets from the pirate (more specifically, soldier) theme which had been put together to show what could have been achieved - and a few more bluecoats thrown in for effect!

Pity these never got released though... Back then, TLC seemed to think about little things like "There should be houses for civilians to live!" whereas now... well, look at the pirate theme and try to find one person who isnt a pirate or soldier!

Actually these were displayed (the pics) by Lego at comic con, they were introduced as undeveloped themes, this one being the Napoleonic era...

Discussion on CC...

God Bless,

Nathan

I think a Napoleonic theme would have been so cool, but at least we got the soldier's faction in the pirate's theme. I also think it's interesting that there were no shakos in this prototype.

These are some very interesting pictures but too bad they never made it into sets. Those wigs look fantastic. :pir_bawling:

:pir-look: That thing has way too many minifigs and buildings to be an official set. It might not have as many pieces as some of the bigger sets today, but Lego has not yet come out with a set that has that many figs. I think it's just a MOC. :pir-wink:

That's what I think too. ~LW 8~

I think that that is just like the ferrari at the end of every znap instruction book. (example/ scroll down)

Then it is probably just to have people buy more. :pir-sceptic:

Edited by saberwing

Hey! This is awesome! The reason LEGO didnt make this is probably because they won't get serious about it.

The city theme has recieved sky scrapers and other large and highly detailed items, but they wont do it for pirate because I think LEGO sees the pirate theme as cartoonish. I sometimes feel they release just enough so that people buy, but there isn't any substance.

Isn't that Ft St Kendra the prequel in the corner there? I think it is!

-Super

The city theme has recieved sky scrapers and other large and highly detailed items, but they wont do it for pirate because I think LEGO sees the pirate theme as cartoonish. I sometimes feel they release just enough so that people buy, but there isn't any substance.

Hey, don't kill my hopes for a S@H exclusive ship and/or dock set :pir-cry_sad:

to bad that there are no close-up's

i would love to see the torso's of the cavalry and of course the whitecoats, i've tried to pop them up but it was to blurry.

after half a year of home inprovement, the dark age is over.

62 blue coat's reporting for duty, sir

Claus

In my opinion, the fact that this is based in the napoleonic era and these clearly french troups are bluecoats adds weight to the argument of where the bluecoats allegiences lie. Also, surely following this, redcoats must have been in the pipeline as an opposing faction, possibly confirming the view that TLC intended the redcoats and bluecoats to be different factions - and not part of the same one as some would believe?

Edited by Duck

WOW! you could have just stumbled onto an amazing find!!! this could have been the very first idea, maybe even thought of LEGO pirates!!! i would love to find out more about this picture....

that wig looks awesome, TLG should use it now, for the governors wife :pir_laugh2:

i dont see any white coats, just bluecoats,civilians, and that pirate guy with a brown vest...

that castle is stunningly amazing. if only lego made this sort of thing: a land beyond the docks of the imperial soldiers.... that would be awesome. thats dark blue roof right? the same kind they use today in the soldiers fort! if lego released JUST that castle and bridge.... i would go insane!!! :pir_bawling: i want that castle so bad!!!

i almost wish this wasnt posted, it breaks my heart :pir_bawling:

I don't think that was just one single set. I think that is the whole sets put together to make a scene like they do in Lego City:

6240_Lego_City_Police_Duty_Jigsaw_Puzzle_lg.jpg

Mabye it wasn't actually Preliminary.

Mabye someone used Houses from the old Castle theme and got Pirates from the Pirate theme and made a display in a Lego Store. I mean look at the Background first, It is painted on, As they would do in a Glass case, Because the picture that was placed in the Projector looks compact, Like it would have been taken outside a glass case. Just like the displays at Lego Stores nowheredays:

LegoStoreBridgewaterDisplay-a00.jpg

Because if you look at the Pictures of the Trains, they look like Cobi Block trains

Edited by Joey Lock