Derek

Who are the bad guys?

Excuse me if this topic has been discussed before, I don't usually post in the Pirate section, but today I was looking at my new 2009 Pirate sets and was wondering.

Who does Lego want us to think that bad guys are, the Pirates, or the Imperials? To me, it seems like the they want the Pirates to be seen as protagonists, and the Imperials as the party-poopers that spoil their fun. :pir-tongue: However, the pirates are also doing all of the bad things that pirates tend to do, and the Imperials are merely enforcing the law.

Maybe it doesn't matter, it was just a thought I had today...

Well, the theme is called Pirates, and Lego always names their themes after the protagonists, so - Duh! - of course the imperials are supposed to be the bad guys! :pir-tongue:

However, Pirates is one of those themes where you can easily side with either faction, I believe. :thumbup:

I think that they're supposed to be the anti-heroes. They're the protagonists but aren't the "good guys". Lego's been giving us mixed messages on the plot and protagonists. I guess it's really supposed to open ended so that way we can make our own plots. :pir-classic:

The Imperials of course. Although in real life, the Imperials are the good guys and the pirates are the bad guys.

I remember reading some of the original comic style books lego released and it seems like the pirates are the "Good Guys", but I do remember the catalogs describing the Imperials as protectors of the treasures and explorers of the seas, and the pirates described as "looking to steal the Imperials treasures". So I guess its up to the builder who gets the title of "Good Guy". :sceptic:

-Admiral Béjaune

As has been said, you can support any faction.

However, from the Ladybird Pirate Books, we get the impression that the pirates and imperials actually get on, mostly, and that there are good and bad pirates, which is where the main conflict lies.

Judging from the faces in the current line, the pirates are ostensibly the bad guys, as they have more vicious faces, rather than the rather bland imperial ones. Or that's just reflecting who they are...

There are good and bad pirates and good and bad soldiers, I think it's up to the builder. And some minifig's just have a very mean face, I think everyone will use them as the bad guys, either they are pirates or soldiers.

There are good and bad pirates and good and bad soldiers, I think it's up to the builder. And some minifig's just have a very mean face, I think everyone will use them as the bad guys, either they are pirates or soldiers.

That's exactly what I do as well. :pir-classic:

Judging from the faces in the current line, the pirates are ostensibly the bad guys, as they have more vicious faces, rather than the rather bland imperial ones. Or that's just reflecting who they are...

I agree, they have to be the bad guys with the faces they have.....But you can pic who ever you want

Gentlemen, it's not often that I write in that forum, but I couldn't miss this topic. For which I thank the author. )

I must confess that I find the position that "pirates are good guys", to put it mild, an odd one. I mean how can criminal scum like those burglars, killers, rogues of all kind be good guys?

I don't take into account the romantic view on the pirates, because it's historically incorrect. but in that matter I can understand that a child is free to make up his own story.

But I definitely cannot undestand the position, when an adult mature person likes such thing as piracy (and means it) and claims it to be a normal thing. )

Please, gentlemen, do not think that I'm taking the toy too seriously, but I guess that my ideas are going far beyond LEGO. ) :classic:

Good day, gentlemen! ) :sweet:

I must confess that I find the position that "pirates are good guys", to put it mild, an odd one. I mean how can criminal scum like those burglars, killers, rogues of all kind be good guys?

They can be good guys, some ordinary people didn't like the hard life of the Royal (or orther) navy anymore, so they became pirates. A lot of pirates had democracy, so anyone could become captain or somethig like that. And they also killed people in the real navies, so pirates weren't more cruel. So they don't always have to be the scum of society :pir-classic: But ofcourse there are always some exeptions, and they had mean faces and can be used as the bad guys for lego :pir-classic: (I'm not 100% sure if this story is correct, but I think so :monkey:

The red coats are bad guys and they get killed like bad guys.

Please reference the film "The Patriot".

End of story.

-Super :pir_laugh2:

To me its just like in real life. It all depends on from what side your looking in on. But as allwase to the victer gose the spoilies, and the rightes to the ink in the history books.

I personally have always sided with the pirates but thats just my opinion. What makes this such a great theme is that all 5 fractions, Pirates, Islanders, Red/Blue Coats, and Spaniards can all be seen as good.

Gentlemen, it's not often that I write in that forum, but I couldn't miss this topic. For which I thank the author. )

I don't take into account the romantic view on the pirates, because it's historically incorrect. but in that matter I can understand that a child is free to make up his own story.

But I definitely cannot undestand the position, when an adult mature person likes such thing as piracy (and means it) and claims it to be a normal thing. )

Please, gentlemen, do not think that I'm taking the toy too seriously, but I guess that my ideas are going far beyond LEGO. ) :classic:

To quote many a pirate "We pillage, we plunder, we rifle, and loot, Drink up, me 'earties, yo ho." what more could you want. :pir-tongue::pir-wub:

Thank you, gentlemen, for answering. ) :classic::thumbup: Especially you, YnyklY! )

To quote many a pirate "We pillage, we plunder, we rifle, and loot, Drink up, me 'earties, yo ho." what more could you want. :pir-tongue::pir-wub:

Um, glory of the Empire? ) Prosperous society that won't create pirate scum? ) :pir_laugh2:

I believe like mentioned before, that the pirates (Brickbeards pirates) are the bad guys causing trouble by looting and killing while the soldiers are like the police.

But with the middle pirates (Ironhooks pirates) I think it is the same thing as with BB.

Concerning Redbeard, it is different....totally. I believe Redbeard was a good pirate that would help himself to the Imperials treasure when the weren't looking, and that the Blue coats and Redcoats were simply there to keep him in check.

The pirates are the good guys. What kid honestly wants to go around enforcing the imperial law? They want to go around raiding towns, stealing treasure, and destroying all that the imperials have worked for. When I was a kid the pirates were the good guys.

I suspect the Islanders are the good guys in all of this :pir_laugh2:

I think SlyOwl would agree with that one :kahuka::pir-laugh:

The islanders are the innocents.

The pirates are slighty tipsy on rum.

The British are always the bad guys .

Swines one and all. (Well back in the day anyhow)

I'm geting the feeling thers a lite bit of an anarchist in all of us. :pir-cry_sad: Any one else getting that vibe? LONG LIVE THE PIRATES AND LONG LIVE LEGO

I think SlyOwl would agree with that one :kahuka::pir-laugh:

I have a special place in my heart for the islanders. My first "Big" set was the large islander set. I actually picked up a second not long ago. I made a big MOC, which was a bit lacking in detail...

My First Islander Moc

Looking at real life, the British pirates worked for the Redcoats and the king/queen. The French ones worked fro the emperor and the Spanish ones worked for the Spanish King/queen. So i suppose it's who you support most.