On 5/11/2023 at 2:48 PM, hugore said:

As my son is now 1 year old, i decided to present him his mom's and mine Lego collection from our juvenille days (in the 1990's).

Is 1 year old not a little young? IIRC Lego themselves don't recommend giving bricks to children under the age of three because of the choking hazard.

I'd also personally not give a young child access to all the rare stuff until they'd demonstrated that they'd handle the product with care. I don't say this in the sense that your son's ill-behaved or anything (obviously, aside from anything else I don't know your son!) but more some children have rougher playstyles than others. I know I was a very sensitive child and always gentle with my toys, whereas some of my friends were more rough-and-tumble - nothing wrong with that, but they were more likely to have breakages. From your picture you have a few expensive raised baseplates. It might be better to keep those and other fragile/valuable parts back for later. Your storage is looking good though :pir-wench:

On 5/11/2023 at 9:48 AM, hugore said:

Hi,

As my son is now 1 year old, i decided to present him his mom's and mine Lego collection from our juvenille days (in the 1990's)...

I would buy some duplo and keep your vintage blocks out of reach.

Hi does anyone know of any plastic drawers that are very deep and not as tall? I'm also looking for plastic drawers that are clear and not so opaque, but it seems as all plastic drawer quality has gone downhill since the early 2000s.

On 5/23/2023 at 5:26 AM, noodle16 said:

Hi does anyone know of any plastic drawers that are very deep and not as tall? I'm also looking for plastic drawers that are clear and not so opaque, but it seems as all plastic drawer quality has gone downhill since the early 2000s.

How deep do you need them to be? The ones I use are 14cms long.

Stanley 1-93-980 

On 5/23/2023 at 12:26 AM, noodle16 said:

Not clear, but the best I have found.

https://www.target.com/p/6pc-plastic-drawer-organizer-clear-brightroom-8482/-/A-83901180

Edited by Follows Closely

On 5/17/2023 at 10:50 PM, Alexandrina said:

Is 1 year old not a little young? IIRC Lego themselves don't recommend giving bricks to children under the age of three because of the choking hazard.

I'd also personally not give a young child access to all the rare stuff until they'd demonstrated that they'd handle the product with care. I don't say this in the sense that your son's ill-behaved or anything (obviously, aside from anything else I don't know your son!) but more some children have rougher playstyles than others. I know I was a very sensitive child and always gentle with my toys, whereas some of my friends were more rough-and-tumble - nothing wrong with that, but they were more likely to have breakages. From your picture you have a few expensive raised baseplates. It might be better to keep those and other fragile/valuable parts back for later. Your storage is looking good though :pir-wench:

I gave him the right to inherit the collection, not the bricks themselves. Those are still under my domain :pir-laugh:

Does anyone know why the Large storage green skeleton head is not available on the US Lego store?

Why do you post this question in this topic?

Pls remove it.

On 5/23/2023 at 6:26 AM, noodle16 said:

On 5/26/2023 at 5:08 PM, Follows Closely said:

In the States these ones from Ace are better than AkroMils IMO.

6 hours ago, BKu said:

Why do you post this question in this topic?

Pls remove it.

Don't mini-mod.

Hello, I recently got my LEGOs out of the loft and began to sort 'em. I had the LEGO stored in big boxes, but have some other storage methods I previously tried.

During my sorting, I began to place bricks into drawers with compartments. I believe these plastic drawers are discontinued. I quickly filled these drawers and realized it wasn't a suitable method.

I also have those LEGO 8-stud storage bricks - which are cool - spent quite a bit on these. My own issue is there are no compartments and I am not sure how I could put DIY compartments into these. Unless someone has amazing 3D printing skills?

I dislike having 1 coloured box where all bricks are mixed but sometimes this maybe the only way... prefer compartments if possible.

My current sorting method:

• Compartment A: 1x1, 1x2, 1x3
  • Compartment B: 2x2, 3x2
  • Compartment C: 2x? (bigger than 2x3)
  • Compartment D: 1x? (bigger than 1x3)
  • Compartment E: misc slopes, arches, etc
  • Compartment F: plates misc

This method would have been alright if say compartment A wasn't getting too fall up with bricks.

Any suggestions/advice?

~~~ An AFOL

I use "Plano" 3700 and 3750 utility boxes with handles. These have dividers to custom fit your collection. I also use wire racks to hold them. Then they work like drawers. The boxes keep things dust free too. The wire racks are either "Old Cedar" or "Organised Fishing" brands. They come as 4, 6, 8 and 14 capacity. I prefer to stack 4 and 6 racks which actually gives 12 capacity. 8 capacity works well too. But 14s are too top heavy and they tip over easily, not good! Search for " modular utility box wire racks" These wire racks have gotten scarce since Covid19. They are comming back slowly.

IMG_5427.JPG

I use small parts bins from Harbor Freight (a chain store here in the US). They only cost five dollars. 

I make these nesting cup type products to fit dewalt, stanley & milwaukee organisers. Might be useful for lego if anyone is interested:

The stanley deep pro organisers are the best value as you can pick them up for around £20 here in the UK.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203915639478

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203914705013

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204280172695

Hello, I need advice in how to showcase my lego collections, given my limited space.

I have 4 main themes that I wish to display:

Pirate sets: Barracuda bay (21322), Eldorado fort (10320), pirate sets III (70409, 70410, 70411, 70412) (they all have the same or similar style and I would like them to go on the same shelf)

Ships sets: Black Pearl (4184), Silent mary (71042), Skull's eye schooner (6286), Red beard runner (6289) (they are all ships, some from pirates of caribbean, some antiques)

Ufo sets: all the old ufo spaceships and minor sets (6818, 6829, 6836, 6900, 6915, 6975, 6979)

Desert sets: B-wing baron (5928), Mummy's tomb (5958), Sphinx surprise (5978), Temple of Anubis (5988)

I would like my favourite sets (pirate) to be on display on my desk where I work (the table is 96 cm in length, so I was thinking about a plexiglass case of 96x32x60 cm to properly fit the barracuda set which is huge and all the other sets, with the risk of it looking cramped). On top of that, I would put my UFO spaceship collection, which are easy to fit, and on top of that I would like my desert sets. Unfortunately for the ships sets I need another unit, as 2 ships already take all the space and some.

However, I saw that the plexiglass cases are super expensive. I asked for a quote for a custom one of dimensions 96x32x60 and that alone was over 300€. If I also got 2 extra ones for the other 2 sets, it would have gone to over 600€, but I still can't wrap my head around these prices: why are they so expensive? They're literally 4 transparent plastic panels of simple geometry, why do they cost so much? Have you found a cheaper alternative that works just as fine? I mainly need these cases to protect my sets against dust, no other reason really.

Thank you

On 11/7/2023 at 6:38 AM, Metal91 said:

Hello, I need advice in how to showcase my lego collections, given my limited space.

I have 4 main themes that I wish to display:

Pirate sets: Barracuda bay (21322), Eldorado fort (10320), pirate sets III (70409, 70410, 70411, 70412) (they all have the same or similar style and I would like them to go on the same shelf)

Ships sets: Black Pearl (4184), Silent mary (71042), Skull's eye schooner (6286), Red beard runner (6289) (they are all ships, some from pirates of caribbean, some antiques)

Ufo sets: all the old ufo spaceships and minor sets (6818, 6829, 6836, 6900, 6915, 6975, 6979)

Desert sets: B-wing baron (5928), Mummy's tomb (5958), Sphinx surprise (5978), Temple of Anubis (5988)

I would like my favourite sets (pirate) to be on display on my desk where I work (the table is 96 cm in length, so I was thinking about a plexiglass case of 96x32x60 cm to properly fit the barracuda set which is huge and all the other sets, with the risk of it looking cramped). On top of that, I would put my UFO spaceship collection, which are easy to fit, and on top of that I would like my desert sets. Unfortunately for the ships sets I need another unit, as 2 ships already take all the space and some.

However, I saw that the plexiglass cases are super expensive. I asked for a quote for a custom one of dimensions 96x32x60 and that alone was over 300€. If I also got 2 extra ones for the other 2 sets, it would have gone to over 600€, but I still can't wrap my head around these prices: why are they so expensive? They're literally 4 transparent plastic panels of simple geometry, why do they cost so much? Have you found a cheaper alternative that works just as fine? I mainly need these cases to protect my sets against dust, no other reason really.

Thank you

Cases are expensive because they are limited items, usually built by hand and thus labor intensive. It's not like they are mass produced and can thus take advantage of the  economy of mass production. However, you can build your own, using wood and plexiglass. Another alternative is to look for used store displays.

Edited by Lego Tom

986135263_IMG_20231206_124351(1).jpg.64afede1ba133dd6a798b35aecbf4692.jpgIve just started to sort my technic stuff.  I've 3d printed gridfinity storage bins on a big grid tray.  Seems great so far.  I started by printing a bunch of little bins and started sorting, then if one gets full, print a bigger one and so on.  The bins stack on top of each other, so you can go as high as needed, and if you want to go bigger, you just add more grid trays.

Hello ! 

I'm french sorry for my english ;-)

Do you think it's safe to store a Lego box in my cellar during some months before building if the box is sealed, and protected by a largest cardboard ?

It's not a problem if the box is a little damage, i just want to protect the bricks.

Thank you !