Ngoc Nguyen

42175 Volvo FMX Truck & EC230 Electric Excavator

I've already got the Arocs and the Volvo wheeled excavator, so this set is superfluous to me - but dang does it look good! What's the parts count, price, and release date?

1 minute ago, icm said:

I've already got the Arocs and the Volvo wheeled excavator, so this set is superfluous to me - but dang does it look good! What's the parts count, price, and release date?

2274 pcs - $199.99 - Aug 1

Ok, I have to wait for the review videos for this machine. Hmm... let's dissect this:

Truck:

- Cab looks good, the idea of the small transparent panels as headlights are nice
- Chassis is very standard. The only thing which interests me is the connection of the (thanks Lego!) twin tires onto the diff, although 3 axles+suspension would be better...
- tanks on the chassis look very cool, now Lego is using the looks of what MOCers did 15 years ago :D
- looks like you can shift the a locking mechanism on the fifth wheel
- White colour again... could be so much cooler in a more fancy colour like purple, (dark) blue or green...

Trailer:

- bog-standard, at least some colour variation with black, DBG and some red accents
- wheel choice is very strange, the 42098 looked better in my opinion... not perfect, but better.
- very sturdy build with the 3x19 liftarm racks

Excavator:

- I just don't know what to make of it. Some angles (back) look good, but most of it doesn't
- the arm looks so thin, I mean compare it to the 42053!
- double bucket, really? Why not the 7 x 10 bucket?
- same link mechanism for bucket as the 42121? That's just poor... Would have been a perfect chance the medium pneumatic cylinder in DBG...
- the LBG 2L thin liftarms on the side of the bucket are cool play feature as they can catch the chains of the power generator unit!
- the cab looks like a mish-mash of tinkered solutions, but looks like is openable

There are only 2 pneumatic cylinders on the excavator instead of 3! On a 200$ set, it's not acceptable.

I like it. Has 8872 forklift transporter vibes.

Nice that we get Pneumatics again. 

MOCers are going to have fun with this.

5 hours ago, icm said:

This truck is in different scale as the Arocs.

It's pretty bare bones, but hey, at least we see a double wheeled axle after centuries. The cylinders for the excavator are too short and too few.

Posted (edited)

#7 and #8 2x2 panel on white is new
32063 6L half thick beam is rare(last release is 2022)

13971 wheel 18x8 in black is rare(last release is 2 on 2023 but that is factory tour set so real last release is 2 on 2022)
32015 #5 112.5' connector in orange is very rare(last release is 2 on 2019, before that 2 on 2003 is last.)

I can't see well not but if it has #6 90' connector in orange it is also rare(last release is 2 on 2022. before that and exclude FLL set, 2 on 2003 is last.)

Edited by msk6003

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Jundis said:

- double bucket, really? Why not the 7 x 10 bucket?
- same link mechanism for bucket as the 42121? That's just poor... Would have been a perfect chance the medium pneumatic cylinder in DBG...

Big letdown with the double bucket. How can it be that there still is no upgrade to the 4700 Bucket after 40(!!) years? Come on LEGO!

And we are still waiting on the reintroduction of the medium cylinder sadly.

Edited by zoo

This 🐕 looks seriously cool!

I know the boom on the excavator looks a little bit skeletal, but I kind of like that! It's reminiscent of another excavator/material handler, 42006. Shame the Volvo logo isn't more prominent, though. Also, the logo looks different compared to other sets, which I'm not overly enthused about.

Charging station! Ooh, I love it when my speculation turns out to be correct! Sucks up a good slice of the parts, however.

The FMX ain't a tipper! Yah boo sucks! But at least it looks good - I like that TLG used the older version of the truck, as it's the one I much prefer. White, though? Too Arocs-like. Yellow or blue would have worked better. Double wheels, though! Yippee!

Overall, pretty great, but there are some missed opportunities here.

Also, comparison shots with the EW160E are in order!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jundis said:

tanks on the chassis look very cool, now Lego is using the looks of what MOCers did 15 years ago :D

The tank on the left side looks familiar to me, too... however, not from MOCers, but rather from the 8868 (in the year 1992, if I remember correctly).

Edited by Timewhatistime

I'm surprised to say this, but in principle I like it. Anything with a trailer is super playable. If it had a B-model I would seriously consider it.

• However, if it is a double bucket (it does seem so from that single shot), what the hell have they been thinking? It makes it almost useless instantly.
  • Also, I wonder how the excavator will work with only 2 cylinders. I guess the boom and bucket will move in a combined fashion?
  • Are the trucks tyres same as the Arocs or is it smaller scale?
  • Finally there doesn't seem to exist any mechanism for the trailer's ramp...

Just now, johnnytifosi said:
  • Also, I wonder how the excavator will work with only 2 cylinders. I guess the boom and bucket will move in a combined fashion?
  • Are the trucks tyres same as the Arocs or is it smaller scale?
  • Yep, like 42122.
  • Nope, it's smaller.

19 minutes ago, johnnytifosi said:

Also, I wonder how the excavator will work with only 2 cylinders. I guess the boom and bucket will move in a combined fashion?

19 minutes ago, Maaboo the Witch said:

Yep, like 42122.

The excavator mechanics (and size) appears to be more similar to 8294 but in the livery of the Volvo 42053.

I believe the trailer has somewhat the same mechanism as 42098's ramp mechanism. Not entirely sure though.

The truck looks OK imo, but it seems to me the cab won't be openable, which is a big missed opportunity. Trailer wheels and gooseneck look weird to me, I feel like the gooseneck should go longer. Same goes for the ramps. It would be better to have the ramps fold in half, like 42098 has.

Excavator looks really cool, not much to say about that.

Posted (edited)

Would have been a nice idea to put the pneumatic pump into the generator container and use the air hose to mimic the electric cable...

possible bucket:

image.png.405d762aea1f0a0a467f09b375e4a70b.png

Edited by anyUser
bucket picture added

32 minutes ago, johnnytifosi said:

Мне удивительно это говорить, но в принципе мне это нравится. Все, что имеет трейлер, очень играбельно. Если бы у него была модель B, я бы серьезно задумался о ней.

• Однако, если это двойное ведро (судя по тому единственному кадру, так кажется), о чем, черт возьми, они думали? Это мгновенно делает его практически бесполезным.
  • Еще мне интересно, как экскаватор будет работать всего с 2 цилиндрами. Я полагаю, стрела и ковш будут двигаться одновременно?
  • Шины для грузовиков такие же, как у Arocs, или они меньшего размера?
  • Наконец, похоже, не существует никакого механизма для пандуса прицепа...

Tires 49.5x14

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, anyUser said:

The excavator mechanics (and size) appears to be more similar to 8294 but in the livery of the Volvo 42053.

I meant the linkage between the bucket and the boom. But yes, you are right about the 8294 mechanics.

To be honest, I'd have preferred to see a setup with the LAs from the CAT.

Edited by Maaboo the Witch

1 hour ago, karmadrome said:

I don't think it's a double bucket.

Unfortunately it is. You can see the wall in the middle of the bucket.

1 minute ago, R0Sch said:

Unfortunately it is. You can see the wall in the middle of the bucket.

That's really shame!

That is a shame. I thought it might be the single bucket from 42061, or a new part. But nah, it's just the bucket from 42122 doubled up.

Loads of those bloody car and off-roader sets get new parts all the time, but TLG couldn't spring for a new bucket? Seriously?

Also, the charging station. Yes, it's accurate, required for the use of the excavator in the real world, and looks nice, but functionally it's little more than a box that takes up way too much of the part count.