1 hour ago, Zerobricks said:

Now we see how the new C beam has been more or less critical for this steering system to work.

Brilliant design, and brilliant resverse engineering @R0Sch

Thanks! Yes, without that new part this mechanism would not have been possible. The crab steering is pretty cool with the small joystick. Seats consume a lot of parts (250).
BaJivho.png

I'm still not sold on the new 2x3 liftarm, it seems like so far it could just as well have been 2393 like this:

pGA7Ldt.jpeg

The main difference I see is you can run it directly underneath of stud holes with no risk of catching on them, as I show with the green liftarm.  Maybe there's a guideline against putting 1L liftarms onto these pieces because they have very tightly fitted pins?

34 minutes ago, R0Sch said:

Thanks! Yes, without that new part this mechanism would not have been possible. The crab steering is pretty cool with the small joystick. Seats consume a lot of parts (250).
BaJivho.png

How have you managed to reverse engineer that so quickly ? 

58 minutes ago, Seasider said:

How have you managed to reverse engineer that so quickly ? 

By dedicating the whole day for it. You can find a lot of details from the images alone.

1 hour ago, R0Sch said:

By dedicating the whole day for it. You can find a lot of details from the images alone.

Ahh … that explains it … would love to have that sort of free time

12 minutes ago, Seasider said:

Ahh … that explains it … would love to have that sort of free time

Well, some countries have public holiday on May 1st (Labor day) so that explains it...

33 minutes ago, R0Sch said:

Well, some countries have public holiday on May 1st (Labor day) so that explains it...

Forgot about that, ours is always a Monday in the U.K. so it’s Monday next week.

5 hours ago, 1gor said:

Not to mention 4 studs long suspebsion arms with ball joint socket at the end..

Where exactly do you see that?

2 hours ago, R0Sch said:

so that explains it...

Well, may the 1st be with you :pir-laugh:

Day off here too, but wife called for major living room renovations, which started 3 weeks ago ... almost done though. May 1st came in handy for some cleaning frenzy.

Anyway: Very nice and really impressive (!) work on reverse engineering that set. It sure needs a >lot< of Technic experience, visual interpretation skills, and then virtual construction.

All the best,
Thorsten

7 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

Where exactly do you see that?

There isn't; I was just refering to hope that perpendicular link was 5 studs long (but it is 6 studs long)

Posted (edited)

This looks pretty good! I wasn't that excited for it, bit the effort they have put into the new wheels and fenders really does a lot for the set. The tires are grey and the mold looks about as close to the real one as they could get. And the fenders are pearl gold and with a printed American flag? Now that feels premium. It's also more mechanically interesting and novel than I expected given the subject matter. Maybe not mechanically realistic as such, but we can expect/allow that for Nasa sets in general.

But am I missing something here? There's 4, 6M track links that are offset 90 degrees? Is this new for this set? I don't see people talking about it like it's new, but I haven't seen it before and can't find it in any other sets. It's a great new piece anyway! 

Edit: Just read the general parts discussion thread.

Edited by allanp

Is this the first Lego set to use one of its silicone bands as a decorative element?  

26 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

Is this the first Lego set to use one of its silicone bands as a decorative element?  

The Speed Champions Bugatti Chiron used a red band as the rear lights

11 minutes ago, Seasider said:

The Speed Champions Bugatti Chiron used a red band as the rear lights

:thumbup:

Based on one of the lifestyle pictures from Racing Brick's video, I think the Lunar Rover could have the newer black hubs with the large CV joint from 42160. Using this hub would make the part more common, and likely hold the large wheels of the Rover in place better.

Lunar%20rover%20hub.png

47 minutes ago, lmdesigner42 said:

Based on one of the lifestyle pictures from Racing Brick's video, I think the Lunar Rover could have the newer black hubs with the large CV joint from 42160. Using this hub would make the part more common, and likely hold the large wheels of the Rover in place better.

Good eye, sure looks like it, especially the distinctive flat side next to the pin. Great to see them slowly replacing normal hubs.

2 hours ago, lmdesigner42 said:

Even better!

@allanp The LRV's fenders are not pearl gold, but the new reddish orange. But you're right about the printed flags.

8 hours ago, R0Sch said:

@allanp The LRV's fenders are not pearl gold, but the new reddish orange. But you're right about the printed flags.

Ah yes, now that you say it it's obvious! They look good though. 

Posted (edited)

Ok, I'm done with the chassis, so I'll post the Studio file: 42182.io
Don't nail me on the system built center console. There's some hidden SNOT building going on there. And yes, the set uses the newer Audi steering wheel hubs. What is also pretty ingenious is the use of ball joint socket for the swing-arm because the top is just resting on the roller so it wouldn't be stable enough without that.

42182_chassis.png42182_suspension.png

Edited by R0Sch

Great reverse engineering in only a short time. I'm deeply impressed by your skills, R0sch!

The 6 L steering link with perpendicular holes for a ball pin on each side seems to be a new part (used in lgb) which I couldn't find on bricklink. Did we already mention that - or am I misled?

9 hours ago, Timewhatistime said:

Great reverse engineering in only a short time. I'm deeply impressed by your skills, R0sch!

The 6 L steering link with perpendicular holes for a ball pin on each side seems to be a new part (used in lgb) which I couldn't find on bricklink. Did we already mention that - or am I misled?

Yeah, others also noticed. It's definitely an interesting new part.

The design for the folding suspension arms is fantastic. Great use of parts, the the fact that everything works without disconnecting/reconnecting anything is so cool. I'll need to add some of these kind of features to my MOCs.

I've been looking at this since it was revealed, and I've kept loving it! I think it looks great and like a super interesting build. It's also literally exactly at 1:8 scale according to the dimensions on the website, which is awesome and it'll look just right in size next to the supercars even if it's a bit of a different feel.