On 3/28/2024 at 7:25 AM, Frequenzberater said:

Considering the last years, are you still hoping for new functions in a licensed car model? 

I expect nothing else than another boring but well shaped shelf queen. 

Sadly, an "average" car, licensed or not, doesn't have that many functions in the Technic line. An opening hood and/or trunk, doors, steering and maybe a gearbox is all we can have nowadays. If it had 3 lockable differentials, that would be great! But I'd also welcome the comeback of adjustable height and convertible roof to say the least.

2 hours ago, Frequenzberater said:

I was talking about new functions and not new parts. 

And the Volvo Hauler is not a licensed car :) 

Yamaha and Kawasaki are motorcycles...IMHO it looks like it could be kind of Ford Raptor reskin (with 4 wheel drive)

35 minutes ago, 1gor said:

Yamaha and Kawasaki are motorcycles...IMHO it looks like it could be kind of Ford Raptor reskin (with 4 wheel drive)

That's why I wrote cars and motorcycles... I assumed the emphasis was on the fact that the vehicle is licensed, not the exact type :)

Considering the rumored price point, it still looks more like a new iteration of the Defender's design than the Ford Raptor, which had half as many parts and was half as expensive.

4 hours ago, Jockos said:

Sadly, an "average" car, licensed or not, doesn't have that many functions in the Technic line. An opening hood and/or trunk, doors, steering and maybe a gearbox is all we can have nowadays. If it had 3 lockable differentials, that would be great! But I'd also welcome the comeback of adjustable height and convertible roof to say the least.

with 2800+ part account it should be a substitute for 42110 Defender. Reuse the same transmission with new body = profit. Not an average for sure, and that's cool!

41 minutes ago, rm8 said:

with 2800+ part account it should be a substitute for 42110 Defender. Reuse the same transmission with new body = profit. Not an average for sure, and that's cool!

I really hope they don't reuse the exact same transmission, otherwise we'll be in for another endless flood of complaints about clicking noises... Kind of fits in with the Land Rover experience, but people expect more from German engineering :grin:

Just now, kbalage said:

I really hope they don't reuse the exact same transmission, otherwise we'll be in for another endless flood of complaints about clicking noises... Kind of fits in with the Land Rover experience, but people expect more from German engineering :grin:

I remember, that video have a lot of views and feedback:pir_tong2:

3 hours ago, kbalage said:

I really hope they don't reuse the exact same transmission, otherwise we'll be in for another endless flood of complaints about clicking noises...

Maybe the transmission would work better with the new 20 tooth gear? Would it be possible to use it in this gear box, instead of the double beveled ones?

I always blamed the clicking gear box of the Defender on the redesigned double bevel gears which appeared at the same time. The model was probably only tested with the old gear.

The redesigned 20 tooth double beveled gear is just not running smoothly together with the 12 tooth double beveled gear in a straight configuration.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Gumalca said:

Maybe the transmission would work better with the new 20 tooth gear? Would it be possible to use it in this gear box, instead of the double beveled ones?

I always blamed the clicking gear box of the Defender on the redesigned double bevel gears which appeared at the same time. The model was probably only tested with the old gear.

The redesigned 20 tooth double beveled gear is just not running smoothly together with the 12 tooth double beveled gear in a straight configuration.

Nope. Racingbrick did test with the (now not so) new 20t and 12t gears. They still click. Check it here:

The gears were just one part of the story IMHO. The way the whole chassis designed for that incredibly complex transmission was not JUST ENOUGH. That I think is the leading reason. 

However, they will certainly help make that stuff improved if all that factors are taken care by Lego, using those new gearbox parts from Yamaha bike. 

Edited by thekoRngear

For me the big questions is whether the new gearbox parts from the Yamaha can be used to implement a more compact 4-speed gearbox that has a single input and single output shaft (currently only possible with the 28T diff used as a cluth gear). That would be a worthy evolution over the Defender, but for that we are still missing a 4th clutch gear, either a 28T one or a new pair, something like 22:10 (that would be really cool). I think this latter one only has a chance if it is also used in the upcoming supercar, but as @Anto showed, the 8 speed gearbox can be built without that as well, so not too probable. Even if that would be possible, I'm not sure if it would fit into the chassis length-wise (along with a low range and DNR selector as in the Defender), given that the G should have a live axle in the rear which takes more space.

So if all that would be possible, I don't think that would leave space for lockable differentials. So I think it's either one or the other, and given that the defender had all the gearbox problems maybe this time they will just leave that out. Hope they don't just try to replicate that with a better arrangement as in the pimped up Defender, because that would not be anything new..

5 hours ago, R0Sch said:

Even something like this is pretty compact and easy to implement

Do you consider that compact? The Defender gearbox is built on a similar scheme and it did not exactly end up being compact..

That reference only shows the core, but it is yet to be framed properly, so it's deceiving. The devil is in the details. With framing it would become 13 units in length and 9 units in width.

In my mind a compact gearbox would have only two shafts and 4 pairs of gears. In length, it could take 11 units using the new shorter clutch ring, with support in the middle and on the two ends. As for the width all gears would be centered, but the shifter mechanism would need to be on one side probably. It's not clear to me how much space it would require with the new shifter parts, but as a start, sounds simpler and cleaner, so hopefully more compact.

5 hours ago, R0Sch said:

or just two floating gear pairs linked to the shift drum/stepper

Do you think that would fly in an official set in 2024? That's kind of 80s style..

Posted (edited)
On 4/4/2024 at 3:48 PM, gyenesvi said:

Do you consider that compact? The Defender gearbox is built on a similar scheme and it did not exactly end up being compact..

That reference only shows the core, but it is yet to be framed properly, so it's deceiving. The devil is in the details. With framing it would become 13 units in length and 9 units in width.

In my mind a compact gearbox would have only two shafts and 4 pairs of gears. In length, it could take 11 units using the new shorter clutch ring, with support in the middle and on the two ends. As for the width all gears would be centered, but the shifter mechanism would need to be on one side probably. It's not clear to me how much space it would require with the new shifter parts, but as a start, sounds simpler and cleaner, so hopefully more compact.

Do you think that would fly in an official set in 2024? That's kind of 80s style..

A gearbox with floating gears would definitely cause an uproar

Edited by damian_kane_iv

Hope this new set with a smoother drivetrain compared to the 42110 set...and a quick removable cover would be a bonus(show my respect to JB70 42110 optimization).:wink:

2 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Hopefully that's not what we get in Lego

I think at least the looks of it will be pretty close to this one..

21 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

I think at least the looks of it will be pretty close to this one..

Yeah, the looks would be similar--I just hope they model the gas version, so we can get a proper drivetrain and engine in it!