Jim

TLG Licensed Merchandise Concept Ideas Survey

TLG has requested to share this survey.

The cutoff day for the survey will be March 4th. The survey is in English and is intended for US and UK AFOLs. People in other countries can participate and if you do, we would encourage you to try and think in US dollars or British pounds for the relevant questions. I think you will be excited to see some of the mock up products. 

image.thumb.jpeg.df31095868460fb4868815dimage.thumb.png.5ac43a16035f251fe22ba1e2image.thumb.png.25bd23a00129067a6014c288

We are excited to invite you to participate in a 15-minute survey about our licensed merchandise product offerings. At the LEGO® Group, we are constantly striving to innovate and expand our portfolio, and your feedback will play a crucial role in guiding our decisions.

This survey aims to understand your current shopping habits and preferences, alongside your insights on licensed merchandise concept ideas (non-brick products; clothing, books, storage solutions). Your responses will inform our team's efforts to identify new business growth areas and enhance the LEGO® licensed merchandise portfolio.

We welcome any additional feedback or suggestions you may have regarding LEGO licensed merchandised products. All responses provided in this survey will be anonymous and used for research purposes only.

SURVEY LINK

Thank you for your time in sharing your thoughts and opinions!

LEGO teasing a Ghost minifigure?  

Seems reasonable to think a 6075: Wolfpack Tower remake could be in the works, with Wolfpack/Wolf Pack showing up in Medieval Town Square + also in LEGO Fortnite.

I have that wreath already, as a relative 3D printed one for me. I'm pretty sure the flowers exist already too, and possibly the red / green big figs as well. All you need is a 3D printer!

this could be lego teasing more bionicle merch maybe?

Edited by upgrade_evo

I expected at least 50 Insiders points for this long and detailed survey. What a rip-off! At least it was anonymous.

Done. Goat plushie! :head_back:

I hope the next survey is about sets. :pir_tong2:

1 hour ago, R0Sch said:

I expected at least 50 Insiders points for this long and detailed survey. What a rip-off! At least it was anonymous.

You get that for Surveys you do in the Lego Insiders section, but since that one was not, i didn´t expect points anyways. You could have just choosen not to do it, no idea how this is a rip-off.

25 minutes ago, Ben S said:

Done. Goat plushie! :head_back:

I hope the next survey is about sets. :pir_tong2:

Wouldn´t be that unlikely they make this. Though, I have to say that the plushies they made yet all look quite ugly to me and I think if they would have been made with better look/quality they would sell better too.

5 minutes ago, Black Falcon said:

You could have just choosen not to do it, no idea how this is a rip-off.

Just a little disappointing to do their tedious market research for free. In the end they will release these merch products at a premium price from Room Copenhagen or the likes and not many will afford them anyway. All I want is a glow in the dark ghost lamp or a goat plushie. I'm sure most will chose T-shirts and upscaled stuff.

25 minutes ago, R0Sch said:

Just a little disappointing to do their tedious market research for free. In the end they will release these merch products at a premium price from Room Copenhagen or the likes and not many will afford them anyway. All I want is a glow in the dark ghost lamp or a goat plushie. I'm sure most will chose T-shirts and upscaled stuff.

I only want the glow in the dark Ghostlamp if we are getting the real Glow in the Dark ghost back. Preferably in this Set:

6 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Seems reasonable to think a 6075: Wolfpack Tower remake could be in the works, with Wolfpack/Wolf Pack showing up in Medieval Town Square + also in LEGO Fortnite.

Well we can dream at least.

Anyways, they asked for many different things so even if many want T-Shirts and Upscaled stuff, I do belive that many will vote for the lamp too, especially because they depicted the ghost there. I would guess it will end up in the top 5 at least, though of course we will never know as they won´t reveal any results out of this.

12 minutes ago, Black Falcon said:

I only want the glow in the dark Ghostlamp if we are getting the real Glow in the Dark ghost back. Preferably in this Set:

Exactly my thoughts, not via GWP, not via CMF, but just normal set, and Wolfpack seems most likely right now, but Lion Knights, Black Knights and Royal Knights also had a ghost in at least 1 set, so they can reuse the piece longer then just a 1-off set.

Edited by TeriXeri

I tried, but as the questions became more meaningless to me, I just couldn't continue.

10 hours ago, R0Sch said:

Just a little disappointing to do their tedious market research for free. 

A lot of fan sites are advertising this survey, and many of them get free products for review. I assume LEGO think they reach more people this way and have paid the intermediary sites with free stuff.

As to the products,  it will all be very expensive and not so different to the household products they already sell.

10 hours ago, danth said:

I tried, but as the questions became more meaningless to me, I just couldn't continue.

I felt the same way those questions are quite meaningless but i completed the survey anyways. 

On 2/23/2024 at 12:57 PM, R0Sch said:

I wish it hadn't been anonymous. I like people knowing who I am when I'm telling them how screwed up their business model is becoming. That way I can go back and say "See. I told you so!"  :pir_tong2:

Ok. Also done with this. A bit tedious at times. But I would love a nice coffee table book to go with the Technic Ferrari book. 
And I also would want an upscaled Lego “lantern” lamp !!! Probably a few of them to hang in my “pirate 🏴☠️ cove”…

😊

I think there was a gross overestimate on what I would spend on anything! :laugh: 

As a bit of a cheapskate, I truly do not spend £40+ on most things. In fact, I am not impressed when I pay more than £15 for a t-shirt. 

I put zeros for everything and wrote "I see TLG is headed back to the marketing strategies that led them to near bankruptcy 25 years ago."

We want Lego because it is high quality, high tolerance brick (though even that seems to be changing), not because it has "Lego" branded on it like Gucci.

I think people are missing the point of this survey.  All the items presented are "Licensed" items: these were not Lego products, but products that somehow represent Lego but are produced by another company.  Plushes are a good example.  Lego does not produce them, they are a representation of a Lego product made by another company that Lego authorizes (licenses) to do so.  I don't think this was in any way market research for Lego products (i.e. sets, minifigs, etc.)

And yes, no one is required to do the survey, and I think it is fairly clear these will be licensed products intended for the U.S./U.K. market.

These are so cute! I would totally buy the cookie coasters.

14 hours ago, Space78 said:

I think people are missing the point of this survey.  All the items presented are "Licensed" items: these were not Lego products, but products that somehow represent Lego but are produced by another company.  Plushes are a good example.  Lego does not produce them, they are a representation of a Lego product made by another company that Lego authorizes (licenses) to do so.  I don't think this was in any way market research for Lego products (i.e. sets, minifigs, etc.)

And yes, no one is required to do the survey, and I think it is fairly clear these will be licensed products intended for the U.S./U.K. market.

Some questions were focused on whether you have bought on the LEGO website.  It wouldn't surprise me if they intend to sell some of these online, like they currently do with clothing, bags and household items.

8 hours ago, MAB said:

Some questions were focused on whether you have bought on the LEGO website.  It wouldn't surprise me if they intend to sell some of these online, like they currently do with clothing, bags and household items.

Of course they will still sell them in their shop, since there it is easy to reach the main audience of their products. And in the end, even though Lego isn´t producing those products they still get a part of every sale so it is in their best interest to sell more of them. 

As for the survey, it still was ordered by Lego, since some of the Licensed Products come from different manufacturers - and in the end we also don´t know how those agreements work. I mean, sure, companies can get the license from Lego to make certain Products but it is also possible, that at least for some of those Products, Lego is actually just having them produced by other companys.

I definitely appreciated this survey. In the past I've often been frustrated at the lack of adult LEGO-branded apparel (and/or with the generic look of some of the adult LEGO-branded apparel that has been produced in the past) and this was a good opportunity to voice some of those opinions.

The Bionicle and building instruction T-shirts were my favorite of the clothing examples shown — the Bionicle one for being colorful and nostalgic, and the building instructions one for being colorful, fun, and playful. By contrast, shirts and hoodies with just logos or other "minimalist" patterns can often feel like they're trying a little too hard to seem sophisticated/grown-up, especially when they are only offered in understated colors like black, white, charcoal, and navy (not that I won't wear shirts in these colors, but they need fun or colorful patterns to balance with that more neutral backdrop).

One thing I mentioned with regard to some of the "upscaled LEGO part/figure" suggestions was that I especially like when that sort of stuff is practical rather than just decorative, like the upscaled mugs (which are reasonably sized for human use, stackable, and both microwave— and dishwasher-safe). The coasters, lamps, and vase stood out as some good example products which might also have a similar sort of practicality, though the vase is not specifically a product I'd be interested in.

The travel mugs are very fun and colorful, although I mentioned that I'm more likely to use a water bottle or thermos than a travel mug due to having less risk of spills. I also mentioned that for the customizable backpacks or cosmetics/toiletries bags, I prefer the example using actual LEGO tiles over those using pins or velcro patches (and that maybe including a transparent plastic sleeve for a LEGO plate on the front instead of having the studs sewn on would make that even better, since it would help keep tiles from coming loose while traveling).

The plushies are a very fun possibility, even aside from the cheeky choice of a LEGO goat for the example product! I know that LEGO has had lots of minifig plushies before, but the possibility of a range of cute LEGO animal plushies definitely excites me!

Coffee table books are also great, though my interest might vary depending on the subject and how much new info (like behind-the-scenes insights from LEGO designers) is included. One specific example that I mentioned would be a LEGO Ninjago art book with lots of concept art and illustrations (including trading card art, posters/key visuals, and box art backgrounds from over the years).

In general I'm glad that LEGO sent out this survey to get community feedback, as opposed to just basing their licensed merch decisions assumptions about what sort of products adults might enjoy. Of course, I realize this survey isn't necessarily going to mean the stuff I want ends up being made — for all I know, a most of the other adults who respond to this might have very different perspectives and preferences than I do! But regardless, it's good to know that AFOLs in general are actually being considered in these sorts of product design decisions.

Edited by Aanchir

Yeah, I filled out the survey and made sure to note things that I'd be particularly interested in like practical upscaled accessories and more Lego artbooks. I also mentioned in regards to shirts how much I'd appreciate if Lego partnered with fan artists to come up with more creative, unique designs, like the video game t-shirts I like to get on sites like Fangamer.

Edited by Lyichir

2 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Yeah, I filled out the survey and made sure to note things that I'd be particularly interested in like practical upscaled accessories and more Lego artbooks. I also mentioned in regards to shirts how much I'd appreciate if Lego partnered with fan artists to come up with more creative, unique designs, like the video game t-shirts I like to get on sites like Fangamer. 

Ooh, smart suggestion! I would love that sort of thing.