Black Falcon

21348 Lego Ideas Dungeons & Dragons and D&D CMF

Looks massively overpriced, think I'll stick to getting the Market Town Square.

40 minutes ago, zoth33 said:

I don't know I have the red wyvern from Ninjago and it doesn't look like that at all.  I'm looking at it and that chest has the legs right off of it.  Where as the Ninjago wyvern the legs are further back.  Like I said if this is a Wyvern it is very poorly designed.  I'm still convinced there are back legs.  

Which Ninjago Set are you reffering to? I tried to find it the only one I found didn´t look that great to me.As to whether this wyvern is bad designed or not, I will judge when we get better pics. The legs look a bit big to me but very likely they did this to stabilize the wyvern, so I can live with that.

In D&D 5e the different types of dragons have distinct looks, this is clearly a red dragon and not any sort of wyvern.

13 minutes ago, Black Falcon said:

Which Ninjago Set are you reffering to? I tried to find it the only one I found didn´t look that great to me.As to whether this wyvern is bad designed or not, I will judge when we get better pics. The legs look a bit big to me but very likely they did this to stabilize the wyvern, so I can live with that.

LEGO Ninjago 71753 Fire Dragon Attack - LEGO Speed Build Review - YouTube

This one here and The dragon in the DnD set looks nothing akin to this.  

9 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

In D&D 5e the different types of dragons have distinct looks, this is clearly a red dragon and not any sort of wyvern.

Yeah we just can't see the back legs.  I like the dragon looks great to me.  I'm curious about the head, hopefully we will get better pics soon.  

30 minutes ago, Sir Dano said:

Looks massively overpriced, think I'll stick to getting the Market Town Square.

How is it massively overpriced?  Over 3700 pieces, it's licensed, A large dragon, 6 figs, a brick built, beholder, displacer beast, and owlbear and mushroom people for $360 seems pretty good to me.  Look at some of Monkie kid sets or city sets.  

Edited by zoth33

21 minutes ago, zoth33 said:

This one here and The dragon in the DnD set looks nothing akin to this.  

Honestly, that is the one I meant when I said that is the only one I found and I didn´t like it. It just doesn´t look good - the Dungeons and Dragons one looks way better to me, no matter if it is going to be a wyvern or a dragon.

30 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

21 minutes ago, zoth33 said:

Yeah we just can't see the back legs.  I like the dragon looks great to me.  I'm curious about the head, hopefully we will get better pics soon.  

Well I don´t really mind, whether it is the one or the other, so I will just wait for official pics that will hopefully show us this creature in high res and without the tower, so we can have a good look on it - and well of course the same goes for the other creatures and minifigures.

1 minute ago, Black Falcon said:

Honestly, that is the one I meant when I said that is the only one I found and I didn´t like it. It just doesn´t look good - the Dungeons and Dragons one looks way better to me, no matter if it is going to be a wyvern or a dragon.

Well I don´t really mind, whether it is the one or the other, so I will just wait for official pics that will hopefully show us this creature in high res and without the tower, so we can have a good look on it - and well of course the same goes for the other creatures and minifigures.

Yeah I'm not saying it's the best looking dragon.  I'm saying of a Wyvern that size the DnD one looks nothing like the Ninjago one and they would do it in a similar style.  My favorite Lego Dragons are the Ninjago Skeleton one and the brick built Hungarian Horntail from HP.  

Never played the game or watched the movies but this set truly looks incredible, like a little diorama encapsulating what I imagine is a little bit of everything D&D is known for 

2 minutes ago, zoth33 said:

Yeah I'm not saying it's the best looking dragon.  I'm saying of a Wyvern that size the DnD one looks nothing like the Ninjago one and they would do it in a similar style.  My favorite Lego Dragons are the Ninjago Skeleton one and the brick built Hungarian Horntail from HP.  

I don't see why they'd necessarily do a dragon the same style as an existing dragon even if they were similar in size. Even in the Ninjago theme alone, designers often try to vary their dragon designs significantly even if their scale and overall body plan is meant to be similar. For another theme entirely it wouldn't surprise me to see them take a different approach to it.

4 minutes ago, zoth33 said:

You could probably tell 5 Designers to build one and get five different styles out of it, so I don´t think it would have to look to similar to it. The Horntail is another example for a wyvern btw. I guess you are referring to the 2022 horntail, not the 2019 one?

Hmmmm, I will have to reserve judgment on this one til we have better pictures. I was excited about it, I think it looks good, I like the dragon. Yet somehow I feel underwhelmed.

As a D&D enthusiast for 40+ years and an AFOL for 30+, this set has me fizzing with anticipation. I like what I see! Despite its price and that I have nowhere to put such a large set, it'll probably be a day 1 purchase. I hope there's a good GWP to go with it.

I have to say that I prefer my myconid (below) to the ones in the set but that's a small quibble.

cmf_s25_.jpg

1 hour ago, zoth33 said:

How is it massively overpriced?  Over 3700 pieces, it's licensed, A large dragon, 6 figs, a brick built, beholder, displacer beast, and owlbear and mushroom people for $360 seems pretty good to me.  Look at some of Monkie kid sets or city sets.  

It's three hundred and sixty American dollars.For 3745 pieces.

2 hours ago, Black Falcon said:

You could probably tell 5 Designers to build one and get five different styles out of it, so I don´t think it would have to look to similar to it. The Horntail is another example for a wyvern btw. I guess you are referring to the 2022 horntail, not the 2019 one?

Yes that Horntail.   I guess we will have to wait and see with better pics.  Yes I know the Horntail is a Wyvern I'm just saying it's one of my favorite dragons from Lego.  

2 hours ago, Lyichir said:

I don't see why they'd necessarily do a dragon the same style as an existing dragon even if they were similar in size. Even in the Ninjago theme alone, designers often try to vary their dragon designs significantly even if their scale and overall body plan is meant to be similar. For another theme entirely it wouldn't surprise me to see them take a different approach to it.

I'm just using it as a reference and I still think it has back legs but when we get better pics we will see.  

1 hour ago, Sir Dano said:

Exactly and it's licensed.  It's under 10 cents per piece and I'm sure it has some nice prints and printed pieces.  

Edited by zoth33

The original was great, but I can understand why they've made changes to the color scheme and dragon build. It looks pretty good, but more detailed photos are definitely required.

Pleased at the additions they've made, which is a nice touch to round it out more.

It looks…incoherent? Overly busy and messy. No single part in the leaked image looks correct to me, which is disappointing as it was my most hyped set since Rivendell.

is there some new wave of LEGO designers, because after this and the medieval market I’m starting to feel a severe quality drop in official set designs

Edited by Modal

33 minutes ago, Modal said:

is there some new wave of LEGO designers, because after this and the medieval market I’m starting to feel a severe quality drop in official set designs

It was not the designer that was the problem with MTS, but the budget..
To me this looks rather similar to the Ideas set they had to make the set from, but includes more details. It that was a call from the designers, Lego or D&D is hard to tell..

2 hours ago, Modal said:

It looks…incoherent? Overly busy and messy. No single part in the leaked image looks correct to me, which is disappointing as it was my most hyped set since Rivendell.

Oh come on, official sets were always a mixed bag. And the designer who showcased this is a veteran. But you could see he wasn't exactly happy with all the corners he had to cut.

So after collecting my thoughts, I really like this set.

It's great how vibrant and colorful it is. The whole terrain area with an inn and the remains of a tower looks wonderful. Can't wait to see all the details and easter eggs in the HD pictures.

I think the dragon looked better in the original concept. While I think that the build itself looks better as a standalone, the previous one has been much more dynamic as a part of the set — the way it circled the whole tower and was looking at the Inn with its tilted head. The new one looks like it can't be displayed as well, it's kind of just standing there awkwardly. The colours are better imo.

The minifigures look interesting and diverse. I can spot six of them, same as in the original project. I particularly like the inclusion of an Owlbear — it wasn't a part of the set before, unlike the Beholder (which also looks awesome).

It looks pretty similar to the original ideas submission. Not sure about the dragon. He has nice cloth wings but doesn't have that dynamic look as in the original. 

I have absolutely nothing with Dungeons and dragons but it looks cool. 

If this was a Game of thrones set with Drogon it would be a insta buy for me! 

12 hours ago, Sir Dano said:

That's literally a great deal, especially for a licensed set.

If it was priced like most recent Star Wars or Marvel sets, you'd have to pay 500–600€ for that. 

I have to say I feel this set fails to live up to the promise of the original submission. In large part this is of course due to simply size constraints, they probably had to decrease the part count of the set by 30-40%. Unfortunately this leaves the house cluster especially looking quite sad, and the dragon is obviously also a big step down.

I am however still reasonably optimistic about the minifigs. I love historically plausible (rather than necessarily realistic) minifigs with full torso+legs printings, and am too often thwarted by Lego's insistence on heraldry printings like medieval warriors wore freaking team jerseys. This set however, like Lord of the Rings sets, will have none of that, so I can't wait to see how those minifigs will look.

It's an interesting set for sure.  I like it a lot, it's got a lot going for it.  The integration of the tower and the building with that terrain is really cool though, and I always liked the look of it since the voting prelims.

I'm personally not as excited as the original announcement.  In the past year I've built my own Beholder, Owlbear and a large skeletal Dragon, so I kind of have those covered already. 

I'm hoping Lego expands on the theme, it sounds like this has a lot of potential.

Edited by Triceron

3 hours ago, Triceron said:

I'm hoping Lego expands on the theme, it sounds like this has a lot of potential.

I think it's a one-and-done type of IP. They are making that single set to celebrate the IP as a whole due to the upcoming anniversary.

30 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

I think it's a one-and-done type of IP. They are making that single set to celebrate the IP as a whole due to the upcoming anniversary.

Agreed. Had they planned to do more, they would‘ve launched an entire theme from the get-go rather than holding a contest on Ideas to create one set :laugh:

So far, the only Ideas sets to get follow-ups were Minecraft and Friends. Sonic doesn‘t count since the sets aren‘t really compatible.

Edited by BrickBob Studpants