Black Falcon

21348 Lego Ideas Dungeons & Dragons and D&D CMF

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Black Falcon said:

I would guess they did the other trees in brown because that is the more natural look - and the big tree in black because it was done that way in the fan design - and it might also be a link to the older Sets and Lion Knights Castle where they have done it the same way - also possible it was easier for them because more of the parts needed might be Production than in brown.

The tall black tree also appears to have a leafy bearded face (either printed or stickered) on its trunk in some of the official images, so it may be a fantasy creature like a treant rather than a normal tree. I'm not too knowledgeable about D&D though so I couldn't tell you for sure what sort of species or enchantment it represents.

EDIT: tree guy is more visible in this video: 

Edited by Aanchir

The set looks great, expensive but you get what you pay for I'd say. Probably won't get it because of the price but the fact that we are getting Lego D&D at all is awesome.

On closer look I believe the Dwarf is a cleric of Pelor, he has a holy symbol on his chest though the beard covers it in most pictures, but in the one picture with the dwarf pre-transition you can see it. You can also just make it out in some shots of the video @Aanchir shared as the beard moves a bit in the action scenes. 

If not Pelor it might be Gond's symbol but I'm leaning to the 5e Pelor symbol. But as I say there aren't many pictures of the cleric torso without the beard in the way.

Posted (edited)

Evil warlock tavern keeper's room with lots of printed spells:
NN3ltSW.png

Sticker Sheet:
qXQ5RIe.png

oh, and the dragon does have printed eyes, also great part usage for the broom there:
REmp5zA.png

Edited by R0Sch

Fun fact for people not familiar with D&D lore. On the shrine of Tiamat (the five-headed queen of evil dragons) there is probably the Orbs of Dragonkind (a powerful artifact that allows you to summon dragons). They were key items in the Dragonlance book series, but are also featured in the Dungeon Master's book.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Orb_of_dragonkind

I love the little Dragonborn family photo on the sticker sheet! Reminds me of a lot of the sort of Easter eggs that would show up in LEGO Elves sets, with portraits of characters like Skyra the Sky Queen or Cronan the Goblin King from when they were much younger. I wonder if that egg in the photo is the one on the top floor of the tower, and the warlock stole it for their ritual — hard to think of anything much nastier/more villainous than abducting a soon-to-be baby from a happy dragonborn couple!

5 hours ago, Nilker said:

Fun fact for people not familiar with D&D lore. On the shrine of Tiamat (the five-headed queen of evil dragons) there is probably the Orbs of Dragonkind (a powerful artifact that allows you to summon dragons). They were key items in the Dragonlance book series, but are also featured in the Dungeon Master's book.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Orb_of_dragonkind

Ooh, neat! thanks for sharing! If you or anybody else spots other cool or clever details that would not obvious to folks like me who aren't well-versed in the lore, I'd definitely appreciate you pointing it out! :grin:

6 hours ago, R0Sch said:

oh, and the dragon does have printed eyes, also great part usage for the broom there

Hmm. I appreciate the printed eyes, though there is a part of me that still wishes they were on a curved or sloped part instead of just a flat plate so they would be visible from the front as well as from the sides, similar to https://brickset.com/sets/70653-1/Firstbourne or https://brickset.com/sets/76956-1/T-rex-Breakout.

Posted (edited)

Looking at that sticker sheet, we've got the harper symbol in a picture frame, the seven pointed star of Mystra ( Goddess of magic) on a book cover, there are a few other interesting details there too but I'd need a better quality picture to be sure if what I'm seeing.

Like maybe Minsc is in one of the pictures but I'm not sure if it's him or not.

18 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

On closer look I believe the Dwarf is a cleric of Pelor, he has a holy symbol on his chest though the beard covers it in most pictures, but in the one picture with the dwarf pre-transition you can see it. You can also just make it out in some shots of the video @Aanchir shared as the beard moves a bit in the action scenes. 

If not Pelor it might be Gond's symbol but I'm leaning to the 5e Pelor symbol. But as I say there aren't many pictures of the cleric torso without the beard in the way.

Better look at the torso in the brick depot video, definitely Pelor's symbol ( God of light).

Edited by Agent Kallus

2 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

, the seven pointed star of mystery ( Goddess of magic) on a book cover

The elf mage also has a brooch with this symbol on her robe.

In the video promoting the set, you can also see that the spell scrolls have symbols of the school of magic they belong to. For example, I can recognize spells such as Shield (abjuration), Resurrection or Animate Dead (Necromancy) or Fireball (Evocation). In general, you can see that there are more pages in the set, but I would need to see them in a better resolution to recognize them. I think it's safe to assume that the set includes one spell from each school of magic.Rcw.svg

Posted (edited)

Looks great but should be cheaper price (especially since it's listed as Exclusive) but I suppose the license cost bumps that back up.

Wish the Dragon was it's seperate set, but this is clearly marketed as "Red Dragon's Tale" + this came to be via IDEAS.

From a pure "Castle" Theme perspective, as in not related to D&D, 10305: Lion Knights' Castle still offers a more complete value, even if the parts are then directly used to make like some custom builds with.

Not saying this is a bad set, I'm just not a strict D&D player enough for this to be a must-have. (Currently a big fan of Warhammer 3, and formerly Warcraft, so it's not like I'm not a fan of Fantasy universes however) ,

Edited by TeriXeri

28 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Looks great but should be cheaper price (especially since it's listed as Exclusive) but I suppose the license cost bumps that back up.

Yeah, I like the Set but it is obvious that the Lion Knights Castle is the better Deal. Though I think there are still surpisingly many prints in it, especially compared with the Medieval Town Square - on the other side the low Number of Minifigures might be the reason for that.

Anyways that it is marked as Exclusive isn´t really surprising, but I would still guess it will actually just beeing Semi Exclusive - though those sets usually don´t get that high discounts either, depending of which of Lego´s Partners actually gets it.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Black Falcon said:

Anyways that it is marked as Exclusive isn´t really surprising, but I would still guess it will actually just beeing Semi Exclusive - though those sets usually don´t get that high discounts either, depending of which of Lego´s Partners actually gets it.

Perhaps this, I remember IDEAS Barracuda Bay and Blacksmith were eventually found outside of LEGO.com at about 20% off.

Edited by TeriXeri

Posted (edited)
On 3/19/2024 at 12:43 PM, Agent Kallus said:

It looks like that according to the character sheets in the promotional pictures that the rogue is an Orc, not a half-Orc and that the fighter is a Gnome.

Of course that has literally no effect on how one can use these figures or Thier constituent parts, I just thought it was interesting.

Confirmed by this clip from the build-video above too, from the instructions:

nRmWBVk.png

Edited by Yoggington

Nice to see the new recolours: Sith hood in dark blue, small bat wings in red stand out to me 

43 minutes ago, Bugbot20082 said:

Nice to see the new recolours: Sith hood in dark blue, small bat wings in red stand out to me 

The hood in dark blue is also featured in quite a few recent Ninjago sets :laugh:

Such a cool-looking set! Love the colour scheme, the modularity, the cool dragon plus the other buildable creatures, all the details, the prints, and of course the minifigs! :thumbup: The only thing missing here is a physical die, but there’s no way to make one this small out of existing elements :shrug_oh_well: No biggie, it’s just that seeing all the lifestyle images with the dice in them makes me wish there was one actually in the set 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

:thumbup: The only thing missing here is a physical die, but there’s no way to make one this small out of existing elements

I mean a D6 would be pretty easy but the others not so much.

Edited by Agent Kallus

1 hour ago, Agent Kallus said:

While you could get the D6 shape right, it'd be tricky to balance the weight enough to ensure equal odds of rolling each number. I suspect that's part of the LEGO Games sets in the early 2010s used a single dual-molded element for the "core" of the die instead of more conventional SNOT bricks or brackets — it ensures there are no hollow spaces that might throw off the balance.

Posted (edited)

LEGO had this 6 sided piece for their ninjago "board game" wave in 2020 but it was not numbered 1 to 6 : 6300075.jpg

Edited by TeriXeri

LOVE this set- as an avid ttrpg player I'm for sure getting it!

Confused on why people are saying it's too expensive though, it seems chunky enough and hits a little under .10 cents a part, no?

3 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

Well, they wouldn´t have had to add Dice made of Lego but could have also used normal ones.

2 hours ago, Black Falcon said:

Well, they wouldn´t have had to add Dice made of Lego but could have also used normal ones.

But then that dice would have become an official LEGO element anyway, just like the shoelace in the Adidas sneaker. :)

I checked out this adventure available for download on one of the early reviews and I must say that it is a missed opportunity. Overall, the plot is interesting, fun and coherent, but to play it according to the rules of the latest edition of D&D, players need separate access to the rules. I was hoping that they would do something similar to the starter set, i.e. include statistics of these few monsters, skill descriptions and basic rules in the campaign. The adventure is about 15 pages long (including player character cards and NPCs) and I think if they added another 15 pages it would fit easily. There is supposedly an alternative way to play the adventure, but if they want to encourage new players to get into D&D with this set, they are doing a poor job.

P.S. I have the necessary books and I will definitely try this campaign, but I am thinking about new players. You can probably find the missing rules on the Internet, but it would be more convenient to have them in one place.