johnnytifosi

Lego Creator 3-in-1 2024

2024 set leaks are out and Creator 3-in-1 comes out hard. A pleasant surprise for the last theme standing to carry the true Lego spirit.

That semi with the helicopter is full Model Team 5590 nostalgia, if only it was larger. They release multiple 800+pice Creator sets in a year and this could be a great one. I also wish we got a better dragon for the Chinese new year animal, but that went to another CNY set already, which is great but not 3-in-1. The giraffe is a worthy successor to the majestic tiger though, and the lion and antelope alt builds look great too. For me it is the hit of this wave.

Obviously they all look spectacular, but my issue with a lot of those are that they are not really playable, but look like 18+ shelf queens. A lot of them are just every day objects made out of Lego. I don't see the play value of a Lego roller skate or watering can for example.

Wq5UueR.jpg

SQdySEN.jpghyZQ2fv.jpgy0tN1Wt.jpgprcZKQ0.jpgKHJgvT8.jpgkbZ8245.jpguH3ukin.jpgQQgIO3S.jpg7L0VPnd.jpg

Edited by johnnytifosi

3 hours ago, SpacePolice89 said:

Are there no minifig scale Creator 3 in 1 sets?

I think we normally get those with the Summer wave.

Not too impressed with most of these.  Looks like Aqua is the new Bright Coral for this year.  Interesting part recolors in a few of the sets but none of them are must haves for me even as parts packs.

Those pink tyres are amazing. 

I also like the look of the parts of the peacock, lots of good curved bricks and wedge plates.

Again, more fun colours for me to play with.

This got to be the best Creator 3-1 wave I've ever seen 

All of them are just stunning 

Edited by Robert8

The dragon is cute. The microscale truck with helicopter looks pretty good. Most of these are nicely executed and cute little models of real-world things. The giraffe in particular is a nice model.

It's fun that the giraffe and flamingo come back here together, as they were also in 31116: Safari Wildlife Tree House together in the same main build.

Edited by TeriXeri

This is the best wave ever by far.

All of the sets look great and are very unique.

It is going to be fun to see side by side the lion from 31150 above with the main model of the 4884 Wild Hunters from 2005

I wonder what type of joints are using the giraffe's hind legs, if those from the tallneck 76989 or the exo-force joints that can be seen for the lion's forelegs. Probably the latter because of the angled position of lion's and giraffe's hind legs in some images

I like the peacock, the spaceman and the camera. Although I don't think the designer ever used a film camera. Why are there developed slides that are still in the film canister? If they had pulled out some film from the canister, it would be brown / dark grey / black. If it had been developed, it would not have been put back into a film canister.

2 hours ago, MAB said:

I like the peacock, the spaceman and the camera. Although I don't think the designer ever used a film camera. Why are there developed slides that are still in the film canister? If they had pulled out some film from the canister, it would be brown / dark grey / black. If it had been developed, it would not have been put back into a film canister.

its a ready-made camera

I sure hope one of the summer sets is a

CLASSIC. SPACE. THEMED. CREATOR. SET.

with lots of NEW and different trans-yellow canopies/windows, and some big ol' space wheels, and a bunch of different colored Classic Space men.

C'mon Lego. Do it. Prove me wrong that Disney has you by the, er, Zamor Spheres.

You can even put that new silver SPACE ribbon on the box.

58 minutes ago, danth said:

I sure hope one of the summer sets is a

CLASSIC. SPACE. THEMED. CREATOR. SET.

Yes please!! We might get one in 2HY, since we have gotten Castle and Pirates ones after the necessary prints appeared in large D2C sets. 

59 minutes ago, danth said:

C'mon Lego. Do it. Prove me wrong that Disney has you by the, er, Zamor Spheres.

I think that they already did with the City Space sets, and we are getting a black spaceship Icons set as well! 

1 minute ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I think that they already did with the City Space sets, and we are getting a black spaceship Icons set as well! 

I'm not convinced. Putting Space in City and other themes seems like evidence that they specifically CAN'T do a stand-alone Space theme. One-off Icons sets probably don't violate the agreement either.

I really hope the Icons set happens, and I hope it's really good!

Just now, danth said:

I'm not convinced. Putting Space in City and other themes seems like evidence that they specifically CAN'T do a stand-alone Space theme. 

I feel like that would just be splitting hairs at this point, since the 2024 City Space sets cover all of the ground that a standalone Space theme would (there is not even an Earth-based rocket launchpad!). Also, we have gotten space-themed Creator sets in the past, so getting one for CS (or another classic faction) would not really be indicative of anything; that could just be considered a one-off, like the Galaxy Explorer. 

5 minutes ago, danth said:

I really hope the Icons set happens, and I hope it's really good!

Same! I am also now wondering if the ship will be for Blacktron II, and the Minifigs will reuse the CMF torso, since specifically a mutated Blacktron II astronaut is somewhat of an odd choice for an archetype ‘fig (they could have made a mutated generic astronaut, or mutated City Space astronaut, or mutated Classic Space astronaut, etc). 🤔

I agree that a space rollercoaster doesn't really do it for me, surely it can provide parts, or be converted into a space rail (mining or person transport), to work with current sets (2019 launch base had a rollercoaster track for example),but there's so much more potential for Sci-Fi space in 3-in-1.

What is interesting, is that 31111: Cyber Drone lasted a LONG time  , from 2021, until just retiring at the end of 2023, so that's 3 full years, and the color scheme of orange and sand blue is basicly continued into this 2024 space line somewhat (with a new orange, and more white)

A large spaceship 3-in-1 could be so nice (alternate build could be a base or something, make it interesting enough, to be compatible, like 3-in-1 Castle could all connect, clearly designed with that in mind) , but different enough from those City/Friends sets, could be a standalone set with an entirely different color scheme, or throwback , or reuse some previously seen Classic Space colors if no new moulds/prints are available.

I mean, a large 3-in-1, if done well,  could also last a long time, shown by LEGO still selling the 2020 Pirate Ship into 2024 as well.

Edited by TeriXeri

33 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

I mean, a large 3-in-1, if done well,  could also last a long time, shown by LEGO still selling the 2020 Pirate Ship into 2024 as well.

Agreed. I just want something that's clearly sci-fi, not a damn space shuttle and not NASA colors. And no Vic Vipers! Tired of those too.

The set really needs to be throwback themed. Even if not the original blue/gray/trans yellow, they could do gray/trans green or white/trans blue. Or even not Classic Space if they do something like Futuron or Ice Planet.

Posted (edited)

Not a 3-in-1, but listed under Creator at Brickset / Bricklink.

40725: Cherry Blossoms is probably my favorite small set for this theme so far for 2024, value looks really good (due to having many tiny bits in large quanitity), but also the build looks easily changed for some abstract highly customizable Minifig scale trees (35cm tall according to descriptionj) , with lots of connection points for various leaf types available, and brown stems with branches are more useful for "tree" building compared to regular Flower sets like Roses/Daffodils and the like with green stems.

Edited by TeriXeri

Not much discussion here, but looks like there will be 3 sets for summer.

Sounds a bit like a wave of very succesful and returning subjects, especially the Sea Creatures and Dinosaur set from 2017 and 2019 are still not retired currently.

- Sea Creatures (31088: Deep Sea Creatures is still sold since 2019! )

- T-Rex (31058: Mighty Dinosaurs is still sold since 2017!!!) 

- Modern Beach House  (and 31118: Surfer Beach House just retired after 3 full years). Beach houses can have very interesting alternate builds (5 beach house sets since 2008 + 5 more beach related sets with alternate builds of beaches , + lighthouse/alternate lighthouse builds)

So only 1 new minifig set for 2024, but some other minifig sets are still around from previous years (all of 2023, and then the Castle and Pirate ship) (and many other non minifig sets from 2022 (Jet , Tiger, Robot , Owl))

Overall I don't think less minifig sets means they are doing bad, or ending, I think they just take into account themes like City/Friends etc, which don't offer buildable objects/animals, and Icons/IDEAS/ART tend to go for larger / AFOL / licensed subjects without 3-in-1.

I think once some of the larger sets retire, there will be interesting times ahead to see what will come after for minifigs,  and yes that includes a 3-in-1 minifig "retro / sci-fi " Space set I still hope will arrive in 2025.

Edited by TeriXeri

Leaked prices and piece counts:

• 31158 Sea Creatures 421pcs $29.99
  • 31151 Terrifying T-Rex 626pcs $59.99
  • 31153 Modern Beach House 939 pcs $109.99

So these are definitely larger than 31088 and 31058 that we previously had. More like 4506 and 4507. Which is a good thing, because that should be enough for realistic looking models. The small Creator creatures have become too cute lately with all the big eyes for my liking. Just compare 31145 to 31102 or 31073. So I'm looking forward to those medium sets coming.

Especially the T-Rex could be great, because the Jurassic World theme mostly has those molded dinosaurs that I find boring, and bigger brick build dinosaurs otherwise only appear in the large 18+ sets.

For the sea creatures I'm wondering which species might be contained. A rerun of the always popular shark (31088), dolphin (31128) or octopus (31130 and 31088)? Or maybe some of the previous B-models or side builds get a better treatment like sea horse (31128 and 31140), whale (31088), manta ray (31130), lobster (31130), seal (31133), crab (31088) or turtle (31128)? They would all deserve a proper A-model treatment. I guess I'm hoping for a proper manta ray the most!

Despite those leaks another set just surfaced: 31154 Forest Animals: Red Fox

I love all three builds, especially the squirrel. Definitely getting this, it's my favourite set of the year so far. My beloved Technic may be dead, but Creator 3-in-1 is as strong as ever.