rb_intro.png

Hello everyone,

I want to share a new creation. This time it is an alternate build (B-model) for the Liebherr LR 13000 Crawler Crane set #42146.

You can find instructions here to build the model by yourself.

100% made out from parts of donor set 42146 with no additional parts needed.

100% controllable with official Control+ Application.

In order to all functions of that Liebherr HS 8300 Dragline Excavator, you get a complete overview in the following article on how to build, control and calibrate this alternate model.

a.gif

Summary of Functions & Features

• remote controlled tracks and 360° superstructure rotation
  • remote controlled boom
  • remote controlled independently hoist-rope and drag-rope
  • controllable with official Control+ App for Smart Device
  • using 6 motors and 2 hubs
  • spinning radiator fans
  • detailed cabin
  • playful details like fire extinguisher, ladder, railings and exhaust pipes
  • brick-built bucket
  • 133 cm / 52 inch long
  • 100 cm / 39 inch high
  • high-quality premium PDF instructions
  • includes guide how to calibrate the model

Impressions

img2.png
img3.png
img1.png
img5.png
img4.png
img8.png
img10.png
D0.jpg

Main control

The Liebherr HS 8300 Dragline Excavator is designed to work 100% with official Control+ Application using the already known interface from its main set.

cp_launch.png

Driving tracks and rotating the superstructure works exactly like the LR 13000 does with the original designed buttons on the app interface.

cp_def.png

Boom control

The giant boom of this alternate model is controlled with the right app lever. It drives the longest rope (shown in blue) through pulley mechanism to raise and lower the boom.

H0.png

cp_boom2.png

The highest and lowest position of the boom depends on the limitations of the app after proper calibration of the model. The boom stops automatically in the lowest position to always ensure a 360° rotation of the superstructure without colliding with the tracks. A linkage mechanism slightly moves the nose who is helding the drag-rope and ensures that the app can detect the highest boom position during calibration.

img9.png

As a nice addition, a spinning radiator fan is connected to the same motor that drives the rope for boom. The second fan spins freely.

Hoist-Rope & Drag-Rope

Controlling the bucket works like the real machine with an independently hoist-rope (shown in green) and drag-rope (shown in red).

Lmotion.png

Hmotion.png

The hoist-rope is controlled either up or down with the left joysticks vertical movement. By horizontal movement with the same stick, the drag-rope goes in and out.

cp_hoist1.png

cp_drag2.png

Since this two ropes are controlled by just one joystick, combinations with both ropes are possible and also needed for proper playing. This requires a bit practice though, but makes it possible to control the bucket and two ropes together with just one (steady) finger.

cp_dh1.png

The length of the hoist-rope depends on the app limitations for that joystick movement, meaning that the hoist-rope can't go too long before the app stops the motor. On the highest position of the boom, the bucket can reach the ground with fully extended hoist-rope where boom and hoist-rope are in limited positions controlled by the app. During calibration the app also detects the most inner position of the drag-rope.

Working under ground

With lowered boom and extended hoist-rope, it is actually possible to dig something below the model. This makes fun by placing the model on a table for example.

Dmotion.png

H1.png

Calibration

For a correct calibration by the Control+ app, it is required to separate the hoist-rope from the drag-rope.

calib.png

In the instructions there is a full guide included how to calibrate the model during building. Additionally there is an extra PDF guide included that explains how to calibrate the model at any time.

c335_1x.png

Please make sure you have completed the calibration to ensure the best playing experience with this model.

How to build

Building the Dragline Excavator starts with the base from the LR 13000 main set. Make sure you build the undercarriage with book 1 until step 343 is completed.

b0.png

base.png

Before you continue building, check the tracks und turntable function. After the correct calibration with Control+ app, the instructions for the HS 8300 takes over to complete the alternate model.

b1.png

b2.png

b3.png

The premium instructions for this model comes with 338 pages of high-quality images and building steps to ensure a satisfying and slightly challenging building experience for a 18+ set. Make sure to test all functions and alignments of ropes through the building process. Happy people with sealed parts can open bags 3 to 5 to complete the build.

Connecting ropes with spools and making nodes can be an annoying thing even for the main model. If you already have built the LR 13000 main set, you can let the spools with ropes connected. The alternate model starts with wound up spools during the building process.

spool.jpg

Controlling quick guide

To become a real Dragline expert under the sun, here are some quick tips for controlling the model:

1) Place the model from the left to the right

At the beginning, place your model driving from the left to the right to match the joystick interface for the Control+ app.

2) Sliding bucket over ground

This is some basic control for Dragline Excavators. Slide the bucket over smooth surface by controlling the drag-rope winding inside simultanously with the hoist-rope slightly going down.

C0.png

cp_dh4.png

3) Moving bucket along the boom

As advanced controlling, this requires a bit practice but also avoids loosing cargo when the bucket moves along the boom. The drag-rope should go out simultanously with the hoist-rope going up with a bit tension on both ropes.

C1.png

cp_dh3.png

4) Unload the bucket

On a loose drag-rope, the bucket always hangs in the air on the hoist-rope. Simply give some length on the drag-rope to tilt and unload the bucket.

C2.png

cp_dh2.png

5) Keep watching the drag-rope

The app itself cannot detect outer limitation for the drag-rope. In case the drag-rope goes out too far, it is possible that the rope slips over the spool. Treat the drag-rope always with a bit tension.

6) Avoid tension on same direction

This case is also not detectable by the app. When the drag-rope goes in simultanously with the hoist-rope going up, there is too much tension at any point. As a result, the parts holding the bucket are going apart at the weakest pin connection. Giving some length on both ropes and connecting them together solves this.

Final note

Goal with this alternate model was to create something else from the hard discussed Liebherr LR 13000 Crawler Crane. Rebuild, re-calibrate and having fun is exactly the way how this model works. The app goes hand in hand with the design with a large learning curve on controlling the model. Let's find it out by yourself. Think out of the 42146 box and have fun with this replica of Liebherr HS 8300 Dragline Excavator.

If you like the design and you even own the 42146 LR 13000, go for it on rebrickable and build your own.

Edited by Timorzelorzworz

You have done an amazing amount of work on this and it shows in the final product! Although I'm not ready to tear my 13000 apart to build, I might consider picking up a second unit if the prices come down here in the US.

Edited by Lego Tom

Don't like the original set, wouldn't but it for the crane.

But seeing this, I will consider buying one to build this.

This looks great. 

25 minutes ago, Lego Tom said:

I might consider picking up a second unit if the prices come down here in the US.

And if you buy a second set you'll have some box sections left over to extend the crane with.

4 hours ago, pleegwat said:

And if you buy a second set you'll have some box sections left over to extend the crane with.

This is a really good point I never had in mind before. With 2707 parts used there are not much parts left over, but some of the new moulds for the boom. With 2 kits and one built as Dragline, there are enough lattice parts left over to extend the second crane. WinWin

WHY WAS THIS NOT THE FRICKING B-MODEL?

Seriously, with all the extra development time this set had, TLG couldn't do what took one of our members three months to do?

TLG is unfortunately not interested in stuff by Moccers or by the community itself, they cook their own soup. Even Legos "Talent Recruitment Agency" rejects ideas coming from community people

1 hour ago, Timorzelorzworz said:

TLG is unfortunately not interested in stuff by Moccers or by the community itself, they cook their own soup. Even Legos "Talent Recruitment Agency" rejects ideas coming from community people

That is why I think about rejecting Lego, despite interesting parts, sets are not mindblowing IMHO

On 11/5/2023 at 10:00 PM, Maaboo the Witch said:

Seriously, with all the extra development time this set had, TLG couldn't do what took one of our members three months to do?

Talking about time, there is no other people involved except me to do all. No other people above me who tells me what to do except the freaky voice in the head. Working at business level in crunch time with 16 hours the day and all this freedom, it is possible to make and publish in this short time, and when you put all your effort and ressources in it, the project time feels actually longer and you are happy when all is done

On 11/5/2023 at 10:00 PM, Maaboo the Witch said:

Liebherr doesn't have a dragline exca... oh wait, there is an original model?

WHY WAS THIS NO BRICKING B-MODEL??!!

What a brilliant job and presentation!

On 11/6/2023 at 1:26 PM, Timorzelorzworz said:

Indeed. My point, though, is that TLG could have done this model themselves, given the parts for it were clearly available in the set and it's based on an actual Liebherr model. The ingredients were all there!

1 hour ago, Jundis said:

Liebherr doesn't have a dragline exca... oh wait, there is an original model?

WHY WAS THIS NO BRICKING B-MODEL??!!

What a brilliant job and presentation!

What this guy said.

On 11/5/2023 at 11:00 PM, Maaboo the Witch said:

I can only speculate for the reasons for removing B-models but all I can think of is the B-model of 42082 Rough Terrain Crane, which must have been one of the shittiest of all time. Despite the high part count of the main set and all the opportunities those afforded, it was obvious that it was developed as a rush job without any real considerations of what a B-model should be and a sign that TLG is going to kill the B-models for good. Well made alternates like the one presented in this topic are great and significantly add the value of the sets, while those such as the 42082 B-model I can entirely live without.

1 hour ago, Maaboo the Witch said:

Indeed. My point, though, is that TLG could have done this model themselves, given the parts for it were clearly available in the set and it's based on an actual Liebherr model. The ingredients were all there!

What this guy said.

Would you buy 42146 for 680 euros if this B model would be included?

26 minutes ago, Oh_Hi_Mao said:

No, but I might buy it if this was the A model.
And I think a lot of members here will think the same.

@Timorzelorzworz
Great build but it has the problem that all previous Dragline mocs have.
It can't throw the bucket like the real machine.
Further only thumbs up.

Edited by JaBaCaDaBra

1 hour ago, howitzer said:

I can only speculate for the reasons for removing B-models but all I can think of is the B-model of 42082 Rough Terrain Crane, which must have been one of the shittiest of all time. Despite the high part count of the main set and all the opportunities those afforded, it was obvious that it was developed as a rush job without any real considerations of what a B-model should be and a sign that TLG is going to kill the B-models for good.

Really? I thought 42082-B was pretty cool, given that it was the first (and so far only) Technic pile driver.

24 minutes ago, Oh_Hi_Mao said:

It would definitely add value.

11 minutes ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

It can't throw the bucket like the real machine.

Interesting point. This would require to unleash the rope that the bucket can fall to the ground on its own weight. 

I am not a crane guy, but I really appreciate the dedication you put into this model. The source is a really good match, and I guess it must have been a lot of work, both designing and doing the instructions, actually I would not have believed that somebody would come up with such a meaningful B model for this set (I mean something that is different enough from the A model, uses the key parts and the electronics for good, even controllable from the Control+ app). Great job!

1 hour ago, Maaboo the Witch said:

Really? I thought 42082-B was pretty cool, given that it was the first (and so far only) Technic pile driver.

It would definitely add value.

It's not the first time a B-model explores subject where A-models haven't dared to venture, but as a B-model it's still pretty bad. The entire lower portion of the build is identical to the A-model so there's nothing of interest there, and while the upper part is something new in terms of subject, I don't think it's that great in execution, especially comparing to the many things fans have built as alternate models.

Anyway, let's not hijack this thread to discussion about B-models but rather let's appreciate the beauty of this creation by @Timorzelorzworz!

While the original set is far beyond what I'm willing to spend on a Lego set, having this one as an official B-model would definitely add a lot of value. On the other hand, if you are going to get the set, throwing additional 16,90€ to the instructions in Rebrickable would surely be worth it - it's hard to think of any other alternate model instructions with more value than this one.

14 hours ago, Timorzelorzworz said:

Interesting point. This would require to unleash the rope that the bucket can fall to the ground on its own weight. 

Not one but both ropes would need to be unleashed,

Bucket is pulled up and in, then released so it flies forward and smashed down with its teeth in the ground.

These machines suffered tremendous wear due to this "mechanism".
Most were retired after invention of the hydraulic excavator but some were reused as piledriver or static harbor crane.

I'm old, I've seen these machines working here around.

On 11/6/2023 at 2:26 PM, Timorzelorzworz said:

Nice B-model!

There is atleast one LEGO designer that do B, C, D, E, F, etc... of their A models. Not officially, but here on the forums and their youtube.

Forgot to write, this looks like Liebherr - HS 8300 HD, or similar.

Edited by Shiva

On 11/10/2023 at 12:21 AM, Shiva said:

There is atleast one LEGO designer that do B, C, D, E, F, etc... of their A models. Not officially, but here on the forums and their youtube.

You're right