Mister Phes

[OFFICIAL] 10320 Eldorado Fortress - Available NOW

10 minutes ago, dimc said:

I haven't built the Saucer yet, but I have one or two in the bins so I'm going to give it a go in time. The Spyrius base was OK. Ice Planet was the last good space base in my opinion. Mine isn't quite complete but I have some extra trans-neon orange panels I've been using to modify it to have an extra lab.

Yeah, I agree regarding the Ice Planet base being the last good one. The problem I had with both the Unitron and Spyrius bases was they used those dark gray BURPs. If they at least changed the color of those, otherwise they just stand out and look...well ugly.

Truth be told with Space, I always preferred the vehicles because it seemed a little more practical in their design, whereas any base felt sparse, which is understandable at the time considering they were limited on how large they could market it as.

Back to the Eldorado Fortress, I know there was talk of the raised baseplate being expensive to produce. Was that because it was painted or just the structure of it?

'Coming Soon on 7 July 2023...
...VIP Early Access on this set starts on 04/07.' 

So, is that only via LEGO.com or also in the LEGO-stores? 

5 hours ago, Arjo said:

Never heard of this guy, one of the results I got looking for eldirado reviews. I will give this website another go because he takes great pictures😁

He's done some great photography for Pirates back when PoBB was released, one shot in particular was just awe-inspiring — the pic of the Black Seas Barracuda sailing into the sunset :pir-love:

4 hours ago, Doddsino said:

And again, if this sells well, then expect more mediocre reimaginings.

That's what kills me rly. I want Pirates sets to sell great, but I don't want TLG to get away with the "half4ssed remakes will do fine anyway" formula they're testing rn. This is a dangerous ground to step on if they do.

3 hours ago, Doddsino said:

And if there is one thing that any corporation should never take for granted is the loyalty of their customers. Am I saying that Lego is doing this? Probably not. But I don't want it to ever approach that level, because again if you settle for anything, you will get the minimum. Every time.

Here's one more thing I should bring up here. Today I've decided to check the review of 10320 on the YT channel called "Brickstory" or something like that, I don't remember the exact name cuz I'm not its viewer & not subscribed. The fact is the owner of this channel is German, who seemingly has his own LEGO history museum, so the whole thing is popular amongst German LEGO fans. Not sure what was his opinion on the set (because, well, I don't speak German), I'd say it's positive in general, but the actual reason why I'm bringing this up is what I've seen in the comments section while checking the vibes there. It's much easier to understand the language you don't speak in YT comments, where you have a built-in translator under every single statement — so what are Germans saying there? Out of 200+ comments literally the half is talking about TLG going crazy with the price tag for 10320 while trying to COPY BLUEBRIXX's IDEA OF THE PIRATES LINE OF MODULAR SETS (!) which are two/three times cheaper, or that Bluebrixx overall makes better value & quality Pirates sets than TLG does currently, therefore there's no need to spend crazy amounts of money on 10320 when they can get Bluebrixx's superior "Governor's Fortress" (or whatever that's called) for the lesser or equal price, or that TLG is only releasing overpriced 10320 as a late answer to the aforementioned set (or, I suppose, a number of sets) by Bluebrixx & so on. For me that's a clear signal of German audience partially starting to lean more towards their home brand (I believe Bluebrixx is a Germany based manufacturer, am I wrong?) & leaving TLG behind, at least when it comes to historically driven themes. So yeah, I totally agree that TLG shouldn't be taking anything for granted indeed.

Edited by F1stzz

4 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I think calling it "lazy" is extremely unfair to the designers. They clearly put a LOT of effort into the set's design, if not into the aspects of the design that you happen to care most about. And frankly, it would have been impossible for them to anticipate what every fan's biggest likes/dislikes about the set would be. [...]

I wonder if much of the perceived ‘lazy’ design of this set stems from Lego’s own decision to primarially brand and market the set based on its similarity to the original Eldorado Fortress?

Imagine if – rather than promoting the set as a faithful remake – Lego had instead chosen to place the current main alternate build on the front of the box as an original creation (complete with its own unique name/identity - e.g. Eldorado Redoubt/Landing/Trade Post?) and placed Eldorado Fortress on the back of the box as an alternative build/Easter egg?  In other words, the same approach as Pirates of Barracuda Bay.

While this switch would address none of the substantive design critiques (e.g. black vs brown docks, 'gappy' parapet walls, simplistic palm trees, lack of art/lore in the instruction manuals etc), the psychological effect in terms of perceived total creativity/innovation would, I believe, be reasonably profound.

There are some hints that Lego may have considered taking this approach – for example the lifestyle video on Lego.com focuses almost exclusively on the alt build.

Ultimately, they clearly decided that appealing directly to the traditionalism/nostalgia of the original Eldorado Fortress was the safer choice.

i get why they made it modular to keep it in line with the barracuda bay but in my opinion if they were going to do that the designers should of made the back better when displayed opened up because that display leaves little room for placement of figures and in some parts look like a facade with little playable room in that open up style. i also agree with what someone mentioned previously that with such a high end set one shouldnt have to mod the set when opened up to make more walk-room. i personally will be keeping the set in the original intended configuration and the biggest gripe with the set is the governors quarters with it being so little detailed and the cannon taking up the space. if the cannon is removed, then the back really needs to be modded to make the captains quarters look decent like for example putting in a back wall which is what i intend on doing. my only other gripe is the lack of more pirate related animals such as the rare seagulls which could of been included with a nest onto one of the quarters and maybe and this is pushing it a horse for the governor. two crabs, a parrot and one monkey just doesnt do it for me.

i am just glad they did a remake of a set i always wanted and was just too expensive to get on the aftermarket and i am grateful for the modernization of the baseplate. just a wild thought but a brick built octopus attacking the fort would of been a nice addition or the ship included having crates with bananas being transported to the fort.

5 hours ago, CvS said:

'Coming Soon on 7 July 2023...
...VIP Early Access on this set starts on 04/07.' 

So, is that only via LEGO.com or also in the LEGO-stores? 

It's both in-store and on LEGO.com

I'm excites for this but I have can't even display PoBB because it's so big. How would I display this fortress next to something I don't have space for in the first place?

10 hours ago, Doddsino said:

And again, if this sells well, then expect more mediocre reimaginings.

I think we all want high quality sets, and I don't think Lego gets that message if we just settle for whatever. 

I mean...why do the hard work if it's easier to just slap together an old set with new pieces and sell it for a couple hundred bucks?

That is not how it works since you can not control what other people buy and trust me this will sell at least decent, just look at the people on Brickset saying they will buy the set compared to e.g. the Disney castle.
As I have said earlier give Lego constructive criticism and if enough people say the same I am sure they will change that with the next set.
It looks like a lot of people say this:

1. A very similar updated set of the old set is fine if it is a small GWP like the Forest Hideout set, but not a big one like this
  2. A similar set like the old one is fine if it is the B model and not the main one like B-bay
  3. Or make something new inspired by the old sets

How would Lego know this before they made this set?!

1. They make the B-bay and a lot of people are impressed that you can make the ship as a B-model :thumbup:
  2. They make a couple of GWP that are just updated versions of the old set and people like it:thumbup:
  3. They make the galaxy explorer that is very similar to the old one just bigger/updated and people love it :thumbup:
  4. They make the Castle that are inspired by old sets, but are original and people think it is fantastic:thumbup:
  5. They make this set as a updated version of a old classic as the main model and another looking one as the B-model and suddenly a lot of people are negative :thumbdown:

Follow this logic and you see it was impossible to know this for Lego, if enough people give this as constructive criticism I am sure they will know it and not do the same next time :pir-classic:

7 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

It's both in-store and on LEGO.com

Thanks!

6 hours ago, Roebuck said:

They make this set as a updated version of a old classic as the main model and another looking one as the B-model and suddenly a lot of people are negative :thumbdown:

Let me get this straight: does anybody really, REALLY believe that the "island + ship", which are 2 different builds indeed, in 21322 = "closed Fortress ↔️ opened Fortress"  in 10320 & Lion Knights' Castle? How's the wide-open layout a "B-model", when it's clearly just an additional display option & not an alternative build? It's the same thing structurally all along, you don't have to spend over 30 minutes to rebuild any of it — you just get to choose how to display the whole thing. Therefore, it's not a "main/alternative build" — it's a "main/alternative display option". I can't believe there are people who are falling for this manipulation.

Also, there are clear reasons why people loved PoBB & Lion Knights' Castle and have mixed feelings about 10320. Earlier examples featured tons of accessories, supplies, easter eggs and their builds were like nothing ever before. 10320 doesn't contain even a half of everything those sets did. Comparing the response to a $/€200+ product with the response to a GWP, which people are getting basically for free, is also a manipulation. You can forgive some flaws to a set, which is given to you by the company almost for free simply for the fact you've made a purchase in their store, u know, especially — when it's a remake of some classics. Those GWPs are also nowhere near of being on the same level with an 18+ ICONS high-end product, for which you do get to pay quite a sum & have your expectations set accordingly. So I'd prefer to review each of these cases separately and in detail instead of making manipulative generalizations, especially considering that TLG do know their products better & are analysing them behind the curtain in the same exact way.

Edited by F1stzz

I wonder if this set might have been meant to be larger originally and they redesigned it at a late stage after receiving negative feedback on having so many ludicrously expensive sets.

I like how it is... however... 

I prefer if they did a massive 400€ Eldorado complete remake without boat. Yes Lego released a lot of very expensive sets but they are all licensed garbage to me. The only real expensive set I bought is the Lion knight castle on day 1. For me the best set ever. I also bought the Galaxy Explorer. Never had the original. (was not born yet) 

16 hours ago, F1stzz said:

He's done some great photography for Pirates back when PoBB was released, one shot in particular was just awe-inspiring — the pic of the Black Seas Barracuda sailing into the sunset :pir-love:

That's what kills me rly. I want Pirates sets to sell great, but I don't want TLG to get away with the "half4ssed remakes will do fine anyway" formula they're testing rn. This is a dangerous ground to step on if they do.

Here's one more thing I should bring up here. Today I've decided to check the review of 10320 on the YT channel called "Brickstory" or something like that, I don't remember the exact name cuz I'm not its viewer & not subscribed. The fact is the owner of this channel is German, who seemingly has his own LEGO history museum, so the whole thing is popular amongst German LEGO fans. Not sure what was his opinion on the set (because, well, I don't speak German), I'd say it's positive in general, but the actual reason why I'm bringing this up is what I've seen in the comments section while checking the vibes there. It's much easier to understand the language you don't speak in YT comments, where you have a built-in translator under every single statement — so what are Germans saying there? Out of 200+ comments literally the half is talking about TLG going crazy with the price tag for 10320 while trying to COPY BLUEBRIXX's IDEA OF THE PIRATES LINE OF MODULAR SETS (!) which are two/three times cheaper, or that Bluebrixx overall makes better value & quality Pirates sets than TLG does currently, therefore there's no need to spend crazy amounts of money on 10320 when they can get Bluebrixx's superior "Governor's Fortress" (or whatever that's called) for the lesser or equal price, or that TLG is only releasing overpriced 10320 as a late answer to the aforementioned set (or, I suppose, a number of sets) by Bluebrixx & so on. For me that's a clear signal of German audience partially starting to lean more towards their home brand (I believe Bluebrixx is a Germany based manufacturer, am I wrong?) & leaving TLG behind, at least when it comes to historically driven themes. So yeah, I totally agree that TLG shouldn't be taking anything for granted indeed.

I am from Belgium and I live close to Aachen Germany where one of the many Bluebrixx stores are located. I allready bought some western sets from Bluebrixx and the Black Pearl from Mouldking. (yes, Bluebrixx sells also Mouldking). I have to say : I was very impressed with their products. Nice designs and good quality bricks and the price is mostly the half or 2/3of what you pay at Lego . Shipping to Belgium is always 10€ no matter what you buy. So if you're interested in some sets, best to buy several at once so you only have to pay shipping costs once. It is nice to see some good competition. I think Bluebrixx is the only company that can actually challenge and compete with Lego! 

1 hour ago, DonQuixote said:

I am from Belgium and I live close to Aachen Germany where one of the many Bluebrixx stores are located. I allready bought some western sets from Bluebrixx and the Black Pearl from Mouldking. (yes, Bluebrixx sells also Mouldking). I have to say : I was very impressed with their products. Nice designs and good quality bricks and the price is mostly the half or 2/3of what you pay at Lego . Shipping to Belgium is always 10€ no matter what you buy. So if you're interested in some sets, best to buy several at once so you only have to pay shipping costs once. It is nice to see some good competition. I think Bluebrixx is the only company that can actually challenge and compete with Lego! 

Thanks for sharing your insight on the matter, now I see that I've measured the room temperature somewhat correctly :thumbup: Actually, since I've seen so many praises to Bluebrixx while doing so, now I think it's safe to say those convos about 10320 being TLG's late reaction to some of the Bluebrixx products do have a solid ground :pir-wink:

24 minutes ago, F1stzz said:

Thanks for sharing your insight on the matter, now I see that I've measured the room temperature somewhat correctly :thumbup: Actually, since I've seen so many praises to Bluebrixx while doing so, now I think it's safe to say those convos about 10320 being TLG's late reaction to some of the Bluebrixx products do have a solid ground :pir-wink:

There is a solid ground for sure. Their "Gouverneursinsel (eng: Governors Island)" and expansions are truly modular and their "Burg Blaustein (eng: Castle Bluestone)" and its expansions are the wet dream of every castle fan :pir_laugh2: With all its expansions is most likely the biggest castle you can buy by far. Nowadays every AFOL in Germany knows Bluebrixx or Cobi.

3 hours ago, jodawill said:

I wonder if this set might have been meant to be larger originally and they redesigned it at a late stage after receiving negative feedback on having so many ludicrously expensive sets.

Possibly, but I kind of doubt it. I imagine it was a conscious choice to keep the model's footprint close to the same size as the original set, since that was the approach they took with the Black Seas Barracuda/Dark Shark redesign from Barracuda Bay.

While I get that a lot of folks seem less impressed with this set than with Barracuda Bay (at least in hindsight — Barracuda Bay's design was itself highly controversial when it was initially revealed), I think the design philosophy of the sets seems very similar. In addition to the similarities in footprint mentioned above:

• Each set includes the same number of minifigs as its 1989 counterpart.
  • The foundations feature Medium Azur water and Brick Yellow (tan) beaches, drawing on the painted/sculpted scenery from the classic Pirates box art rather than the physical brick colors that they used to represent water and sand.
  • However, both sets otherwise adhere fairly closely to the color palette of the original sets, including the use of primary colors in places where other modern sets might be more likely to use either earth tones or metallic/pearl colors.
  • The bases use 45-degree wedge plates in many of the corners, rather than round plates as are favored in many other seaside sets like Ray the Castaway from LEGO Ideas or the Beach Adventure Park from LEGO Friends.
  • Although each set is based primarily on a particular 1989 set, they include design elements that allude to later sets from the 90s. Barracuda Bay includes an Islander statue and two minifigs based on 90s pirate designs Eldorado Fortress features a cargo ship and red ceramic awnings inspired by Imperial Guards sets, and both sets feature skeletons.
  • The sets add numerous interior details and furnishings which the original 1989 sets lacked, as well as new play features like the working capstan in Barracuda Bay, or the rum cellar and escape the escape tunnel in Eldorado Fortress's jail. Both sets also have modular designs for multiple display options.
  • Some design elements are modified for greater historical accuracy, like the Barracuda's sails and rigging, or Eldorado Fortress's bartizan and crane.

Obviously, none of that inherently means that the two sets are equally effective at what they do. I realize that's a subjective assessment that will inevitably vary from builder to builder. But I do think the similarities show that the designers of the new Eldorado Fortress did put a lot of deliberate effort into coming up with a design that would feel consistent with Barracuda Bay and live up to the standards it established.

There's also another reason I doubt the designers ever considered producing a mega-sized version of the fortress on par with sets like Lion Knights' Castle: colonial forts in general rarely tend to be as popular or iconic as pirate ships. In fact, if LEGO were to design an Eldorado Fortress redesign for a considerably higher price point, I think they might have been more likely to swap the cargo ship out for an even larger one (perhaps one of the 90s ships with a 12-stud-wide hull like Renegade Runner or Imperial Flagship) than make the fort itself substantially larger.

Edited by Aanchir

3 hours ago, jodawill said:

I doubt it. I suspect the development of Eldorado Fortress was (long) before the announced price increase form August-September 2022 & the following negative comments. I rather think that Lego

1. didn't want to risk another ship, even one for the Bluecoats, as an 90th anniversary set after PoBB recently retired,
  2. decided against making a big (civilian) harbor set, since they already have the rumored medieval village in development or even finished - and the two sets would be much to similar
  3. so only decent sized option left is some sort of fort. And since in late 2021/early 2022 the idea of a Forestmen Hideout GWP must have been discussed and accepted they settled for the easiest way.

^Not to mention the dozens of imperial fort sets that have been submitted to Ideas since Barracuda Bay was accepted showing that there's a demand for such a set.

Edited by Sir Dano

3 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

There is a solid ground for sure. Their "Gouverneursinsel (eng: Governors Island)" and expansions are truly modular and their "Burg Blaustein (eng: Castle Bluestone)" and its expansions are the wet dream of every castle fan :pir_laugh2: With all its expansions is most likely the biggest castle you can buy by far. Nowadays every AFOL in Germany knows Bluebrixx or Cobi.

And just like that the rug of historically based themes is gonna be pulled out from under TLG's feet by BB in Germany if LEGO continues to put out these highly priced lazily executed remakes instead of providing something to be truly awestruck about. I can totally see that market being lost for TLG if things will keep on going this way. 

So, I am excited about Eldorado's return, partly because I've always been more of a fan of imperial builds than desert islands etc, and also I'll get to follow up on my "Return to Sabre Island" video which made us if SleeplessNight's MOC. After Redbeard and crew fought Lieutenant de Martinet once again last time, they can finally pay a visit to an aging Governor Broadside!

My excitement is a little tarnished by the early reviews however, as the attempt to recreate the original has left a little to be desired it seems, such as the disappointing Governors Office which apparently contains all his "most prized possessions", such as a map and inkwell. SleeplessNight did such a good job in his MOC of filling out the office, that this now feels underwhelming on Eldorado Fortress.

As an animator predominantly, I see a few problems with the build of the fortress, such as the narrow walkways which will make solders patrolling and pirates running difficulties in places, and the very narrow stairs at the front. Probably fine from a display point of view where a figure isn't "moving" and can be posed.

Something which IS good from my point of view is the modular element which makes all areas accessible from behind. When animating LEGO, interiors which can only be accessed by removing the roof are troublesome! The modular element will really be good for me to angle the camera at just the bit of the interior I need! After an initial Eldorado Fortress video for nostalgia, I'm tempted to use mine as the extended layout actually as a port, and for ease of fitting on an IKEA shelf! 

I'm a big fan of the Imperial Trading Vessel being included, although it does dash my hopes of an imperial trading post remake one day! Pity the figures weren't better thought out with a merchant and Pirate Steve didn't make an aging appearance to crew it. It looks a great small upgrade on the original.

I like the bluecoats, although I'm disappointed to hear in reviews that Governor Broadside has been replaced. I'm sure he was due to retire by now as he looked old in the comic and ladybird books, but the new figure could easily be him.

I've seen a lot of grumbling about the pricetag. In think in terms of pieces and figures, it's about as expected - but with so many bricks dedicated to the brick built baseplate, I can see my wife saying "Is that it?" when it's built. I think the amount of bricks down there makes the fortress itself a bit underwhelming. It's lovely, but not fantastically impressive. A good GWP will help - do we think they will release a new GWP for the VIP event, or do they tend to come later? I seem to remember those who bought the Castle straight away got the Forest Hideout GWP, but maybe that was just a 90th anniversary thing?

16 hours ago, Sir Dano said:

^Not to mention the dozens of imperial fort sets that have been submitted to Ideas since Barracuda Bay was accepted showing that there's a demand for such a set.

Not just submitted, half around dozen Imperial fortresses reached 10K supporters and entered review.

Re: Broadside, if we're assuming that this Eldorado Fortress is from the same point in time as the Barracuda Bay set, it's been about 20 years since the last time we saw Broadside, and he was Governor for 15 years before that according to the Secret of Skeleton Island. So it makes sense that he'd have been replaced by now. (Let's not forget that he was nearly replaced in both The Royal Visit storybook and Bo'sun Will Rescues the Governor audio drama, with only Will and Redbeard's efforts saving him both times.)

1 hour ago, TalonCard said:

Re: Broadside, if we're assuming that this Eldorado Fortress is from the same point in time as the Barracuda Bay set, it's been about 20 years since the last time we saw Broadside, and he was Governor for 15 years before that according to the Secret of Skeleton Island. So it makes sense that he'd have been replaced by now. (Let's not forget that he was nearly replaced in both The Royal Visit storybook and Bo'sun Will Rescues the Governor audio drama, with only Will and Redbeard's efforts saving him both times.)

I guess once Redbeard got shipwrecked at Barracuda Bay, there was no one to keep Broadside from being replaced by the powers that be!

I guess I just liked the idea of seeing all the major characters getting older like the rest of us! But as not even Will got into PoBB, that isn't entirely consistent anyway. Spinosa's descendant I can live with however!

1 hour ago, Duck said:

I guess once Redbeard got shipwrecked at Barracuda Bay, there was no one to keep Broadside from being replaced by the powers that be!

I guess I just liked the idea of seeing all the major characters getting older like the rest of us! But as not even Will got into PoBB, that isn't entirely consistent anyway. Spinosa's descendant I can live with however!

I personally like to imagine that after so many years, Will might be out there captaining his own ship by now!

Something else minifig-related that I noticed just recently — the Imperial sailor minifig aboard the cargo ship in this set wears the same uniform (red epaulets and black tricorn) as the Imperial sailors from the Caribbean Clipper/Sea Hawk! That's a very small change from original set (which had a fourth guard/soldier minifig instead), but one that I appreciate quite a bit given the context!

I liked that detail too!

The next step for Will's character should have been to reclaim his father's ship Barracuda from Captain Foul, as heard in the Secret of Skeleton Island audio drama; it'd be a shame if that wasn't something he did sometime in the intervening 20 years. But I'd argue that Will showed up as recently as the 3-in-1 set, even if he wasn't named there, so we have had him relatively recently.

21 hours ago, F1stzz said:

And just like that the rug of historically based themes is gonna be pulled out from under TLG's feet by BB in Germany if LEGO continues to put out these highly priced lazily executed remakes instead of providing something to be truly awestruck about. I can totally see that market being lost for TLG if things will keep on going this way. 

I am from Austria, we do not have BB stores here (yet?) but I have orderer a bunch of stuff there, among other things the whole pirate series (btw, they also have a two mast ship with cloth sails and 11 cannons for 75€). The thing with BB is, they do not have any prints and they do not have minifigures. Even if they had minifigs, they would probably suck, like those from Cobi or Xingbao. Let‘s face it, only Lego minifigs are cool. 

Anyway, if you compare prices, the gouvernors island of BB costs about 1/2 of Lego. Similary to TLG, they waste most of the pieces on the raised platform rather than on the buildings, although they use burps (which they then cover and support with lots of bricks in the back), they also use plates inflationary. Their sets are hence very good part packs. Brick quality is not in par with TLG but it‘a not bad and considering tje quality of Lego diminishes apparently, they are getting closer. 

Overall, in these playsets, they do make many things slightly better but some stuff remains like very narrow walkways and low walls. I mainly use those sets are part packs since they somehow lack the „magic“ many lego sets have (or used to have). They kind of feel empty (although they are not), if you get what I am saying. 

nota bene: you can‘t compare the pirate series with their great medieval series around castle Blaustein which is definitely an 18+ model without any play features but looks so so amazing and like an actual Middle-European castle.