Classic_Spaceman

Sonic the Hedgehog - Rumours and Discussion

Never been a huge Sonic fan, but the films are very enjoyable to me, at least compared to most video-game films. My only hope for the theme is Tails, though I feel like Shadow's a given due to the fact he doesn't require a new mold. I would say Knuckles will probably appear too, and likely Amy. 

Not really a huge Sonic fan (not in a negative way, I just never played any games), but I do enjoy casually watching the movies, and perhaps trying a game in the future (Sonic Frontiers perhaps?).

Really looking forward to the sets tho. It's crazy how many new / revived themes we're getting next year.

I'll definitely get a set, they sound really fun. Can't wait to see how many characters LEGO will include.

Not the biggest sonic fan either, but i like it enough to want a sonic, but I don't think I'll collect the whole theme or anything. 

Sonic heroes is the favourite sonic game, so if I could get all 12 main characters that'd be cool but if not then the team shadow was the team I played as so those 3 plus the main 3 and Amy Rose and obviously an egg man.

I was considering getting the ideas set but I might wait to see how these turn out.

Well I am something of a Sonic fan. Not seen the films, but I grew up playing Sonic and Sonic 2, and loved them. I have Sonic 2 on an Android tablet and tried Green Hill Zone level 1 a few months ago (having not touched it in years) and could still do it in under 30 seconds to get the extra life bonus. Such fun!

I found a Chemical Plant Zone MOC by Carbohydrates on Rebrickable and simply had to have it:

52594473617_23760fc84c_k.jpg

I know that they're going for playable sets, but I'd love at least one that fits with the original Ideas set, and maybe do new levels each year.

14 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

Well I am something of a Sonic fan. Not seen the films, but I grew up playing Sonic and Sonic 2, and loved them. I have Sonic 2 on an Android tablet and tried Green Hill Zone level 1 a few months ago (having not touched it in years) and could still do it in under 30 seconds to get the extra life bonus. Such fun!

I found a Chemical Plant Zone MOC by Carbohydrates on Rebrickable and simply had to have it:

52594473617_23760fc84c_k.jpg

I know that they're going for playable sets, but I'd love at least one that fits with the original Ideas set, and maybe do new levels each year.

Love this! If we never end up getting an official expansion you might have to make instructions.

On 12/30/2022 at 1:48 PM, Portal Out said:

Love this! If we never end up getting an official expansion you might have to make instructions.

Oh, it's not my design. I wish. Fortunately, that means instructions are already available.

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-102759/Carbohydrates/sonic-the-hedgehog-chemical-plant-zone/#details

I made a few tweaks so that it was done with more easily available pieces, but it's a really neat design.

2 hours ago, FinlayTheFaithful said:

Out of curiosity, what are the chance of us getting Jet The Hawk as a figure?

About as likely as an Espio figure which is to say, extremely unlikely as much as I would love for it to happen.

4 hours ago, FinlayTheFaithful said:

1 hour ago, ToaDraco said:

About as likely as an Espio figure which is to say, extremely unlikely as much as I would love for it to happen.

Since the third 2023 CMF is confirmed to be Marvel, I doubt that we will get many characters aside from Sonic in these sets (since LEGO cannot use the CMF budget to offset the cost of new moulds). 

11 hours ago, ToaDraco said:

Metal sonic too

On 1/1/2023 at 10:54 PM, FinlayTheFaithful said:

I imagine the theme would have to be super popular and become "evergreen" before we get lots of new moulds for characters. I imagine the first couple of years will repeat Amy, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Super Sonic, and Sonic mostly.

I wonder if Metal Sonic will be on a Battle Droid body or a minifig torso, assuming we get him/it

6 hours ago, Killian said:

I imagine the theme would have to be super popular and become "evergreen" before we get lots of new moulds for characters. I imagine the first couple of years will repeat Amy, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Super Sonic, and Sonic mostly.

I wonder if Metal Sonic will be on a Battle Droid body or a minifig torso, assuming we get him/it

A modified battle droid body sounds like the better choice

I'm really curious what they'll do with Eggman. Really hope we'll get an actual new mold this time around. Especially since we haven't seen a bigfig since that movable head Thanos in like May 2021. And all the figures that were bigfigs before have since only appeared as regular figures (Sandy, Thanos, Hulk). But that also makes me worry lego is completely done with bigfigs.

Edited by Huigberts Builds

4 minutes ago, Huigberts Builds said:

I'm really curious what they'll do with Eggman. Really hope we'll get an actual new mold this time around. Especially since we haven't seen a bigfig since that movable head Thanos in like May 2021. And all the figures that were bigfigs before have since only appeared as regular figures (Sandy, Thanos, Hulk). But that also makes me worry lego is completely done with bigfigs.

I don't like the idea of bigfigs being discontinued 

2 hours ago, FinlayTheFaithful said:

I don't like the idea of bigfigs being discontinued 

Neither do I, but I have no idea why else we haven't seen them in almost 2 years

I actually like the brick built eggman, with the exception of his head. If they gave us a better head for him I wouldn't mind him remaining brick built.

As for the bigfigs, I don't really think they've been discontinued (especially given that the big head is still in production), I just think Lego has scaled back and isn't spending money on them unless they have a reason to include them. We know they chew up a good chunk of budget when used, so when there isn't anything special (like a movie in theaters) to drive sales it's probably more profitable to release a cheaper minifigure version of that character (Thanos and Hulk are being used in the cheap sets this wave, so that couldn't have even included a bigfig at that price point anyway). And based on how phoned in the new version of Sandy is, I think they just wanted to cut costs on him.

I think Tails, Knuckles, Amy, and Shadow are all pretty likely since their the most popular/recognizable characters aside from Sonic and Eggman, but I wonder if we'll get anyone else. The Metal Sonic prediction above is a good one, but I could also see him being saved for a later wave since there aren't too many iconic Sonic villains. There'll probably be some Eggman robots too, but I'd be shocked if they aren't brick-built. All the other characters that come to mind just seem a little too obscure for a first (and potentially only) wave, but who knows. Maybe Mighty and Ray's appearance in Sonic Mania will land them a spot in the Lego set, as bizarre as that would be.

If anything I hope they'll give us at least the characters that appeared in lego dimensions. So (Super) Sonic, Knuckles, Tails, Amy, Shadow and Eggman. There were also Metal Sonic, Chaos, Omochao and Big, but those might have a smaller chance. Rouge and Cream (plus Cheese) would be nice as well, especially to get a few more female characters, and since Rouge has a bigger role in Sonic Prime. but I think that's about the limit of characters that realistically could appear, and that's already if we're lucky.

On 1/2/2023 at 8:29 AM, Izzynufc-2 said:

Metal sonic too

Couldn't they just use the sonic head mold?

On 1/8/2023 at 12:17 PM, Izzynufc-2 said:

Anyone else wanna see Vector, they could reuse killercrocs mould from 2017 

Regardless of the wider bigfig discussion (I personally don't think they're dead), the killer croc 2017 mold is gone by now.

On 1/8/2023 at 6:17 PM, Izzynufc-2 said:

Anyone else wanna see Vector, they could reuse killercrocs mould from 2017 

I don’t remember Vector being a hulking behemoth :laugh_hard:

15 hours ago, Meadius said:

I think Tails, Knuckles, Amy, and Shadow are all pretty likely since their the most popular/recognizable characters aside from Sonic and Eggman, but I wonder if we'll get anyone else. The Metal Sonic prediction above is a good one, but I could also see him being saved for a later wave since there aren't too many iconic Sonic villains. There'll probably be some Eggman robots too, but I'd be shocked if they aren't brick-built. All the other characters that come to mind just seem a little too obscure for a first (and potentially only) wave, but who knows. Maybe Mighty and Ray's appearance in Sonic Mania will land them a spot in the Lego set, as bizarre as that would be.

I think that Super Sonic, Shadow and Metal Sonic are ALL sure-shots for appearances within these sets as you could realistically use the same mould for all 3

(I know Metal Sonic has a slightly different head but you could definitely get away with it with a print)

There are a lot of characters in knock-off minifigure land for those that are interested in getting a lot more characters than lego will probably produce. 

On 1/11/2023 at 5:17 PM, Huigberts Builds said:

If anything I hope they'll give us at least the characters that appeared in lego dimensions. So (Super) Sonic, Knuckles, Tails, Amy, Shadow and Eggman. There were also Metal Sonic, Chaos, Omochao and Big, but those might have a smaller chance. Rouge and Cream (plus Cheese) would be nice as well, especially to get a few more female characters, and since Rouge has a bigger role in Sonic Prime. but I think that's about the limit of characters that realistically could appear, and that's already if we're lucky.

Well if we get Rogue and Shadow then I could try and build an Omega ( though it honestly depends on how the sets turn out as sonic isn't going to be a priority to me collecting wise.