MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2023 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

As already stated, we do need to be careful about guessing here. The points made so far have been logical. But let's not devolve into wishlisting please.

I feel like we’re all just a wee bit too quick to jump to it being the gunship. Obviously I’d like one, but it’s rather difficult to base our new assumptions based off of older waves—things have changed so much since 2013, and there’s not much rhyme or reason to what Lego does when they aren’t making something new. I’d quite like a gunship, but it gets risky banking on things like this, especially since we have really no clue at all what’s coming next year. At this point in the year, I’d bet more money against it being a gunship than it being a gunship. I could easily be wrong, but it’s just dangerous to get into hard assumptions at this point, even with the couple clues we have.

My thoughts on this list: 

Given that Microfighters are still $10, as seen with the Slave 1- I'm sorry "Boba Fett's Starship," and since battle packs are still $20, I'm guessing these new $15s will either be a new gimmick or accessory packs with mainline set numbers. 

As much as a $160 Gunship would be great, the fact that we got one in 2013 doesn't really mean anything. If we were going by that logic, the Gunship should have released this past summer since "they have always released the AT-TE and Gunship in the same wave before." In all honestly, given that the last AT-TE was $80 and the new one is $140, I could even see the $200 being a Gunship if they wanted (against its $120 predecessor) given that it would sell and they could add a lot of solid detail at that price (plus throw in Rex, etc.)... I wouldn't bet on the $160 definitely being the Gunship even if they do release one next summer. 
That being said, I do think the $200 will be something else. It's separate from the rest (something LEGO rarely does during the summer wave unless it's for a new show, etc.) and could line up with a solid Mantis, ROTJ anniversary set, or something completely different. I honestly lean towards the $160 being the anniversary ROTJ set, given that the $160 2020 set was the anniversary AT-AT, and the $140 2022 set was the AT-TE, originally designed as the 20th anniversary EPII set (per Promobricks' original rumor). They seem to like having the anniversary set at that price...

Let’s hope we see a Jango’s Slave 1 or a Naboo Royal Starship.  To be honest, both of those would do well as an UCS like The Razor Crest was. 

2 hours ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

"they have always released the AT-TE and Gunship in the same wave before."

Never even been true, 7163 launched in April 2002 and 4482 launched in January 2003. Seeing the anniversary logos for Clone Wars and ROTJ on the January sets makes me think the $160 has to do with one of those.

1 hour ago, Legoman123 said:

Let’s hope we see a Jango’s Slave 1 or a Naboo Royal Starship.  To be honest, both of those would do well as an UCS like The Razor Crest was. 

Neither are likely unfortunately, as Boba Fett's Slave 1 is still available and the Royal Starship won't ever be made until Lego figures out a good way to do chrome pieces. Also, I'd expect the vast majority of releases in 2023 to either coincide with these anniversaries (ROTJ and Clone Wars) or with the new content releasing throughout the year (Mando Season 3, Jedi: Survivor, Ahsoka, The Bad Batch Season 2 and *maybe* something from Skeleton Crew, though I don't expect sets from that until early 2024). Lego is always (well, almost always) going to prioritize what is relevant.

That's part of the reason why I think a new Gunship is so likely as one of the large sets this summer. Clone Wars/Prequel nostalgia is very big right now and Lego is capitalizing on it more and more. Even with the UCS version in 2021, there is still a strong appetite for a new playset version of the Gunship and what better time to commemorate this Clone Wars anniversary than releasing a new version of what is arguably the most iconic ship specific to that era? The only reason I've pointed out the fact that we almost always have play-scale Gunships and AT-TEs around at the same time (Rebels AT-TE notwithstanding) is because that's just something noteworthy to keep in mind. There's no pattern I'm trying to analyze because those are largely arbitrary and pointless to try and pinpoint. Lego doesn't play the same level of 4D chess that we do to try and analyze these things, as the vast majority of their consumers don't care about these things. Unless Lego pulls another complete wild card again like they did with The Justifier this year, there's only a few other candidates that I see as especially likely or timely for Lego to release as a flagship set this summer. 

Funny that nobody is suggesting the Ghost as a 160 or 200$ set?

It's going to appear in Ashoka and is a highly sought after set, having only been made once by Lego and Lego has no variant of this set on shelves.

3 hours ago, betaplayer said:

It's going to appear in Ashoka and is a highly sought after set, having only been made once by Lego and Lego has no variant of this set on shelves.

I just hope it will be bigger than the 2014 one. Happy to pay 200$ for it. Is is by the way a good timing to sell the old Ghost, or best to keep if popularity increases?

7 hours ago, betaplayer said:

I actually did: 

On 12/25/2022 at 3:28 AM, Classic_Spaceman said:

I just realised - What if the $200 set is the Ghost?? The Razor Crest was $140, and the Ghost would need to be larger and more detailed, so $200 makes sense. 

On 12/25/2022 at 6:35 AM, Classic_Spaceman said:

August 1 
75358 $40 
75360 $35 
75363 $15 
75365 $160 
75366 $45 
75368 $15 

September 1 
75371 $200 

I like the fact that most sets seem to be smaller ones; accessory packs with normal avaibility would be great. I agree that we can mainly expect RotJ and Clone Wars stuff, plus a few things from new content.

As for the whole discussion about a gunship with captain Rex, I think it would be pretty funny if he'd actually show up in a smaller set that's easily available.

August 1 
75358 $40/ 4+
75360 $35/ 8+/ 253 pieces 
75363 $15/ 6+/ 83 pieces
75365 $160/ 8+/ 1067 pieces
75366 $45 
75368 $15/ 6+/ 138 pieces

September 1 
75371 $200/ 9+

update as per insta.

Edited by SCREDEYE

Updated list: 

August 1 
75358 - {Unknown} / $40 / 124 Pieces / 4+ (Release in June?) 
75360 - {Unknown} / $35 / 253 Pieces / 8+ 
75363 - {Unknown} / $15 / 88 Pieces / 6+ 
75365 - {Unknown} / $160 / 1067 Pieces / 8+ 
75366 - Advent Calendar / $45 / 320 Pieces / 6+ 
75368 - {Unknown} / $15 / 139 Pieces / 6+ 
75369 - {Unknown} / 155 Pieces / 6+ ($15?) 

75370 - {Unknown} / 138 Pieces / 6+ ($15?) 

September 1 
75371 - {Unknown} / $200 / 2320 Pieces / 18+ 
75362 - {Unknown} / 9+ 

75364 - {Unknown} / 9+ 

Sets 75368, 75369, and 75370 share the same box size. 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman
Updated Info

4 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I actually did: 

Apologies, I saw everyone debating over a gunship, I missed your comment. 

42 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Updated list: 

August 1 

75365 - $160, 1067 Pieces, 8+ 

Hmm the 2013 gunship was 1175 pieces, the 2008 one 1004 pieces.

The ghost was 929 pieces.

A new edition of a gunship at that price point, with fewer pieces than the 2013 version? I don't know.

11 hours ago, betaplayer said:

I mentioned it and how I don’t think it’s likely to happen… yet. Even if they officially reveal the appearance of the ship in Ahsoka before the show releases, they’re not going to already have such a large set planned for the series. As much as I’d love to see new Rebels minifigures, I think a new version would most likely come with Ahsoka series figures and because of this, 2024 would be the most likely time to release it. I do think we’re bound to get a new one in the next couple years though.

It’s partially the same reason I don’t expect the big new ship from Skeleton Crew until 2024 either, even more so here since that’s a completely new ship design. Skeleton Crew most likely won’t be releasing until late 2023 either, so I wouldn’t expect much merchandise of any sort until early 2024.

2 hours ago, betaplayer said:

Hmm the 2013 gunship was 1175 pieces, the 2008 one 1004 pieces.

A new edition of a gunship at that price point, with fewer pieces than the 2013 version? I don't know.

Then it is either not a Gunship, or LEGO is using a different construction method (maybe a Technic frame with plates to both increase stability and decrease weight?). If it is not a Gunship, it could be an Imperial Nu-class Shuttle from TBB. 🤔

3 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Updated list: 

August 1 
75358 - $40, 124 Pieces, 4+ (Release in June?) 
75360 - $35, 253 Pieces, 8+ 
75363 - $15, 88 Pieces, 6+ 
75366 - $45 
75368 - $15, 139 Pieces, 6+ 
75370 - 138 Pieces, 6+ 

September 1 
75371 - $200 
75364 - 9+ 

Those price per piece ratios are horrible. 

Yeah those definitely aren’t the best PPP Ratios. But regardless I’m still excited to learn what these sets (and the missing set numbers) will entail. Lego have been on a roll with these summer waves lately so I’m optimistic.

1 hour ago, Gontron said:

Yeah, it really is insane! I hope i like none of the sets :ugh:

1 hour ago, Gontron said:

Remember how much inflation we've had in the last couple of years, though. Prices have risen across the board and this community hasn't really updated what it considers an appropriate PPP ratio in the entire time I've been here (and probably for longer than that, honestly). If we compare to 2010 dollars, today's $35 becomes $25.70, which is right in the ballpark for 253 pieces, and $160 becomes $117.60, which is in the right range for 1067 pieces. We would've considered these reasonable a couple of years ago; they look worse because the numbers have gotten bigger, but the inflation-adjusted value per piece has stayed basically constant for decades.

Sounds really uninspiring currently 

If I see some form of ridiculous new line of sets such as mechs, I’ll flip. 

What a really cheap year currently. 

Edited by ArrowBricks

1 hour ago, ArrowBricks said:

What a really cheap year currently. 

Agreed. Hoping that some of the other summer wave sets will offset some of this.

When did summer set names leak this year? I can't remember.

8 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Updated list: 

August 1 
75358 - $40, 124 Pieces, 4+ (Release in June?) 
75360 - $35, 253 Pieces, 8+ 
75363 - $15, 88 Pieces, 6+ 
75366 - $45 
75368 - $15, 139 Pieces, 6+ 
75370 - 138 Pieces, 6+ 

Jeez. Those are some truly horrible PPP ratios. The $15 set's piece count of 139 would be pretty good if it was a battle pack, so given the trend of the other PPP ratios I feel like it's not a given that it'll even have 2 figs.

I still can't get over $160 for 1067 pieces. The $140 AT-TE had a bit more than that, and even that one felt a little overpriced. For $20 more and FEWER parts, that better be a $160 battle pack or have multiple bigfigs/creatures.

2 hours ago, ForgedInLego said:

Starting to think $15 is the new price for microfighters / brickheads...

Luckily, this is unlikely. 2023 has officially confirmed sets for a $10 microfighter and brickheadz.