MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2023 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

That's my feeling as well. They obviously plan for him to be the main antagonist in the upcoming Filoni movie, so they probably don't want to give him too much screentime yet. As long as he makes his presence felt and we get a cool minifig out of it, I'll be satisfied :sweet:

Given what we know about the Filoni movie, I doubt there'll be many new main characters, so I reckon if LEGO isn't giving us Thrawn in Jan or Mar next year, they're saving him for Filoni movie sets to give people more reasons to buy those if they already have most of the characters from Mando and Ahsoka sets.

Overall the figures are all phenomenal but I do have a few minor nitpicks: I wish Sabine had arm printing, Morgan had printing on the skirt piece and I really wish they had given Baylan the Praetorian guard shoulder armor in gunmetal gray. Luckily that piece is easy to come by since it was in a bunch of Ninjago sets awhile back. Also I think he could have had a better hair piece. Overall though, for all the new molds and so many figures with leg printing, it's easier to forgive. I fully expect we'll eventually get a spoiler set with Thrawn and Ezra and pissibly a few things from the leaks but time will tell. 

Marrok steals the show for me, I absolutely love that figure. Hopefully the character has some substance and isn't just there for one episode and gets defeated. The fact they gave him an actual name rather than Inquisitor #_ does give me some hope in that regard. Ashoka is definitely my 2nd favorite figure in the wave. They definitely did her justice. The only way she could be any better is if she had dual-molded arms and the Asajj Ventris lightsaber hilts.

Edited by ToaDraco

The less said about the Chewbacca set the better. Like I’ve said previously, since it’s not taking the place of either of the usual UCS sets this year and is essentially a bonus D2C like 2021’s Gunship, I’m not too bothered by its existence. Hopefully Lego dials it back with these big sets that no one wants (Black Panther, Hulkbuster, etc.). Just because they can make something doesn’t mean they *should*.

And oh my god, these Ahsoka sets are amazing. One of the best Star Wars subthemes we’ve ever had in my opinion. The sets are all so colorful and vibrant, there are so many cool and unique minifigures and the sets are all ships that either haven’t been made in a while or haven’t been made ever. It’s basically the antithesis of Lego’s Mando S3 lineup: no drab gray vehicles or boring minifig selections. (I also have a feeling that the Ahsoka show itself will be much better than the disappointing Mando S3.)

Ahsoka Tano’s T-6 Jedi Shuttle is a beautiful model and surprisingly the only set to include Snips herself. I was a bit surprised to see that they didn’t go with a white/red color scheme but the one they went with really does work. It’s a bit disappointing knowing that one side of the wings will probably look ugly with the undersides of the studs but I guess I just won’t display it that way.

The minifigures all look great. I love the new Ahsoka, so glad to get a new montral/lekku piece for her. I do think its weird they aren’t using the curved hilt piece for her lightsabers. (Maybe that piece just isn’t around anymore?) Huyang looks solid and that Inquisitor/Marrok figure had a surprising amount of effort put into them. They look great. I really like the new Sabine figure, though I agree that she looks off without the printed arms that most other named Mandalorians get these days. She doesn’t seem to have gauntlets in this series but her pauldrons are a notable omission. Besides that gripe, it is cool that they included her hair, helmet and even Ezra’s lightsaber, as well as  updating her skin tone to a more accurate color. I was waiting to update my Rebels Sabine figures to see what skin tone they go with for the live-action version and now I know what to use.

New Republic E-Wing vs. Shin Hati’s Starfighter is a very interesting set. I was fully expecting the somewhat dull option of just getting a recolored X-Wing or A-Wing to pair with Shin’s fighter but I’m pleasantly surprised to see that we are indeed getting an E-Wing here. Personally I like the dual starfighters sets, I was glad to see them come back this year. I love the color schemes on both ships and how neither of them look undersized, though Shin does look a bit awkward in the cockpit of her ship. The way they designed the fuselage on her ship also looks really interesting to me.

The minifigures here are pretty solid for the most part. The New Republic pilot is cool, I like that he has a face with the helmet chinstrap and one without. I love that blue and yellow astromech droid. Morgan Elsbeth and Shin look like pretty good representations of those characters, especially the latter. I feel like they dropped the ball on Baylan somewhat however; they didn’t include his shoulder pads or cape for some reason (I guess so he can fit into one of the ships?) and the hairpiece just doesn’t look right, though I can’t think of one that would work better. I do think the use of red lightsaber blades instead of orange should be noted; I guess we can chalk this up to outdated concept art? (Similar to Ahsoka herself in the 2016 Rebels Combat Frigate.) Fortunately I ordered some blades in that color off of Bricklink a while back.

Overall, very satisfied with these Ahsoka sets. They are definitely expensive but they also don’t feel like a terrible value for what you’re getting in each set. Besides the Indy sets that I still need to pick up, these are some of the few 2023 Lego items to really get me excited and make me want to get my hands on them ASAP. Can’t wait til September.

Edited by The Stud

Great to see some colour in LSW sets again, even the E-Wing as a standard white plus colour accent looks good. Shin's starfighter is of course the stand out, the colours here look like it's been decorated by a certain Mandalorian...:wink:

The E-Wing is definitely too tall - no problem to slide your speeder bike under this one - but I understand how it's been done to keep the wings off the ground. Will see what mod options there are to make it several plates shorter.

Minifigs are good all round, glad I picked up a couple of trans neon orange 4l bars off BrickLink a few months ago just in case :laugh:

6 hours ago, Alex_South said:

I am glad that they appear to scale well with one another, and the mini-figures are great, both builds also seem really good for star wars, I think the colors help, and they nailed the look of both ships.

This is a good point actually. I know the Ghost is massive, but does anyone know how big the T-6 is in-universe? Does the scale of these sets match up well when the numbers are crunched?

45 minutes ago, MaximillianRebo said:

The E-Wing is definitely too tall - no problem to slide your speeder bike under this one - but I understand how it's been done to keep the wings off the ground.

That's interesting. I have the 2013 E-Wing, and it has a whole technic mechanism that folds the wings to a slightly higher angle to keep them off the ground, which is basically the main play feature of that set. Then again, that version isn't canon, and perhaps "actual" E-Wings can't do that.

Also, it's cool that LEGO included 2 blasters for Sabine as well as Ezra's lightsaber

Also also, the LSAH description of Ahsoka's T-6 seemingly confirms that the opening flaps on the back of the shuttle are only for weapons storage, so the actual ship can still only fit one single figure. Shame.

9 hours ago, Old Master said:

Think about how many villains were in CW, Rebels, etc. Not overkill. Thrawn is geared up as the main antagonist, I think he will most definitely play a huge role. Nevertheless, this is off topic.

Thrawn is never off topic.

Seriously though, I'd love to get an updated Thrawn with the correct rank insignia on his torso.

I want to see the new minifigures photographed and not as perfect renders. I have a strong hunch that the print quality will not be that great, especially the leg printing.

16 minutes ago, R0Sch said:

I want to see the new minifigures photographed and not as perfect renders. I have a strong hunch that the print quality will not be that great, especially the leg printing.

You can see the figs (though not necessarily close up) in the lifestyle photos (I think that's what they're called) on LSAH.

9 minutes ago, AD_Bricks said:

You can see the figs (though not necessarily close up) in the lifestyle photos (I think that's what they're called) on LSAH.

I saw those, but I mean close-ups. The Gringot Ts has a nice close-up pic of the minifigures for instance.

38 minutes ago, Legoman123 said:

When do we usually see leaks regarding next years set start to come out? 

The numbers and prices could drop any day now. Set names and descriptions usually surface in August or September

Can't wait for the 2024 season to begin!

6 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

Thrawn is never off topic.

Seriously though, I'd love to get an updated Thrawn with the correct rank insignia on his torso.

Thrawn just garners that level of respect! I have found a number of great pad printed replacement torsos on IG with the correct rank

As much as I think these sets rule....the T-6 is disappointing in that it's definitely smaller than the previous version and the thing fits 1 figure only. That's a huge shame imo, especially since this is supposed to be a shuttle, not a starfighter. Figures are great and Im sure the build is great, but I do have that gripe. Cant even fit Sabine in there!

33 minutes ago, Fulcrumfan91 said:

As much as I think these sets rule....the T-6 is disappointing in that it's definitely smaller than the previous version and the thing fits 1 figure only. That's a huge shame imo, especially since this is supposed to be a shuttle, not a starfighter. Figures are great and Im sure the build is great, but I do have that gripe. Cant even fit Sabine in there!

I feel that, but at this point in my life, I'm not playing with the sets anymore so I can look beyond lack of play features

9 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

This is a good point actually. I know the Ghost is massive, but does anyone know how big the T-6 is in-universe? Does the scale of these sets match up well when the numbers are crunched?

I got no numbers to crunch, but when you look at concept art from clone wars and the new show you get a good idea of the scale of the T-6 in a hangar with people walking around under the wings, and it scales really close with the size of the ghost, it's never going to scale perfect, but I think it's one of the better scale pairings in recent years, both ships are iconic and it's likely we will see both ships together a few times in the show so I think I will base my shelf around those two ships and wait for something iconic on the villains side. We know the Ghost sticks around a long time so hopefully it's not a situation where Ahsoka's ship explodes halfway into the season.

EDIT: you can also gauge and compare scale based on the cockpit pieces for both ships, they use the same cockpit piece and based on interior shots from trailers both cockpits seem very similar in size, so from that you can sort of gauge how well the lego model scales with the cockpit section and then base your judgement off that, little bit of a roundabout way of looking at things but I feel these two sets were intentionally designed to go well together.

Edited by Alex_South

12 minutes ago, Alex_South said:

We know the Ghost sticks around a long time so hopefully it's not a situation where Ahsoka's ship explodes halfway into the season.

Yeah we're talking to you Razor Crest.

22 hours ago, Displayedaction said:

That red on the t6 looks really good wouldn’t be mad if that was also the gunship color hopefully they reveal that soon

Agreed. I think it will be that color and not the bright firetruck red.

So just the red LAAT, Christmas special set, and the Vanator UCS that we don't have official HD pics of yet?! And when we do then that's it for 2023?!

I hope we get a good imperial BP in the winter wave.

4 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

Only if it‘s a Commando BP :tongue: I know we haven‘t had a BP with the new Stormie helmet yet, but I don‘t want that to take the precious spot

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

Yo, Ahsoka's lightsabers look frosted, much better than the clear renders, also these sets look amazing in person.

instagram post of SDCC pics: link

Edited by Alex_South

19 hours ago, Hhalcyon said:

I'm calling the 2024 Winter Wave now, I think we're losing the Hoth AT-ST, The Boba Fett Starfighter and the Tie Fighter at the end of 2023. I think it'd be wise to assume they will continue to keep AT-STs, Slave Is and Tie Fighters on shelves and just rerelease them again in 2024. Different versions sure. But those again I'd guess. Maybe a regular AT-ST with Endor Han, a Slave I with the Mech Boba Fett and just another generic tie fighter. Though i'd wouldn't be surpised if Lego just didn't because we already have the Tie Bomber and Interceptor on shelves.

Note to moderators: This is not wishlisting, because this sounds awful to me lmao.

While we are at it, let's add a playscale Luke's landspeeder and a droid escape to the list.

19 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

What's the opposite of a wishlist? A dreadlist? :laugh_hard: Congrats, you just created one, straight from my nightmares!

Whatever it is, it's not gonna be that bad. 

It could get worse  :iamded_lol:

30 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

So just the red LAAT, Christmas special set, and the Venator UCS that we don't have official HD pics of yet?! And when we do then that's it for 2023?!

I believe that is correct. 

38 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

So just the red LAAT, Christmas special set, and the Vanator UCS that we don't have official HD pics of yet?! And when we do then that's it for 2023?!

Is there another christmas set beyond the advent calendar?

4 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Is there another christmas set beyond the advent calendar?

There's still a sequel trilogy Christmas themed promo set rumored that we know very little about