MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2023 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

7 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

Another question, when do think we might start to see pictures of the summer/ autumn sets? May? July? August? Not till they are on shelves?

End of May at the earliest I think. 

I reckon somewhere in June.  

Just now, Big_Daddy said:

By the way, I see we have reached 202 pages for the 2023 set discussion. That's the same amount of pages as the 2022 set discussion had in the end, and we're only halfway into April...

This is what happens when Lego produce exciting sets and the leakers drip feed info! 

I’m seeing loads of new users every month as well which is great to experience. 

I want to know what is in magazine after obi wan. 22 april is release day of magazin with obi wan but always someone is getting them early

At this point in Mando S3 we can pretty much see the big picture and man is it sad that Interceptor vs. Fang is the only set we are getting for the latter half of the season :(  

No spoilers, but that last episode has so many good figures and certainly ones that would make more sense in Int vs Fang

Maybe we see a few more Jan 1 24 

7 minutes ago, Old Master said:

No spoilers, but that last episode has so many good figures and certainly ones that would make more sense in Int vs Fang

Sure, but I‘m wondering what type of set it could be. A battlepack could cover

both the Beskar Troopers and the Praetorian Guards, like three of the former and one of the latter 

, but not sure where

Gideon

would fit in. There was no appropriate vehicle they haven’t done already in the last episode and I can‘t really picture a location build :shrug_oh_well: Maybe the final episode involves some good set material

9 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Reveal hidden contents

Gideon

would fit in. There was no appropriate vehicle they haven’t done already in the last episode and I can‘t really picture a location build :shrug_oh_well: Maybe the final episode involves some good set material

I mean granted we havent seen it yet, but they certainly could've been in Interceptor vs Fang. Lego has plenty of minifigs selections that don't exactly match the media they are based on. Admiral Sloane in a 40th Aniv RoTJ Tie Bomber is a head scratcher for all ages (not complaining tho)

Plus with what we have seen, that Tie Pilot may be out of place too ;)

Edited by Old Master

8 hours ago, SketchBrick said:

I feel like I have to disagree on the second point. Lego does some awesome sets on the lower end of the price spectrum, even with Star Wars (though there are lots of great examples in the other themes too). The battle packs, despite going up to $20 (which weirdly isn't that far off the historical average, inflation-adjusted), still provide fun little builds with 4 detailed minifigs. Lego then turns around and asks for $600 for UCS sets that have the same number of figures, and still often rely on stickers or other compromises.

The past couple of years have given us the Dark Trooper Attack, Obi-Wan's Starfighter, the OG 501st battle pack, the Armored Marauder, the Mandalorian Starfighter, the newer play-scale X-Wing, and the Inquisitor Scythe, etc. (all at or below $100). I know this forum gets weighted towards the heavy-duty collectors who are able/willing to spend thousands of dollars per year on the biggest releases, but I would argue a majority of general consumers are happy to see smaller sets - that they can easily afford - take up more shelf space. I don't think it does most of us any favors to continue praising Lego's most expensive sets while ignoring the real value simpler products can bring to the table.

I also disagree with his point cause there a ton of great sets under $150 that are amazing value like the trouble on tatooine, but I think some of the sets you named don't really have that value he was talking about.
For example the $30 501st set( not a battlepack) had bizzarely innacurate and oversized vehicles that most fans that have any self respect didn't even build and had only 4 figures making the way for LEGO to keep robbing their costumers and pricing out people by charging $30 for upcoming swamp speeder, $35 for dark trooper attack etc. The builds were so bad people went above any beyond to make something else out of it.
$60 for the old 501st set gave you 8 figures and now for $60 you can get 3 snowtrooper BP with 3 accurate speeders and 12 figures. 
Yes, Dark Trooper Attack set is really cool, but the value of 166 pieces and 4 figures with every detail being a sticker (11 of them) doesn't really scream value for $35. Things like the 4+ AT-ST are even worse.

The mandalorian starfighter build was falsely advertised and looked like it can be displayed in 90 degree angle which it can't, because they cheaped out on the landing gear the set is tilting downwards, set also has gaps in the cockpit. Biggest draw were the figures of which 2/3 figures got released to half of Europe in foil bags and most of them got shipped to US. That set was 70 euros in Europe which is $77 for a bad build and only 1 figure being exclusive with a potential to be in the future foil bag making the value of the set even worse.

1 hour ago, Old Master said:

I am almost certain this will be the case. Lego clearly just wanted to avoid major spoilers, rightfully.  

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Sure, but I‘m wondering what type of set it could be. A battlepack could cover

Reveal hidden contents

both the Beskar Troopers and the Praetorian Guards, like three of the former and one of the latter 

, but not sure where

Reveal hidden contents

Gideon

Bo Katan’s Mandalorian Fighter? 

Literally as a new Pre Vizla’s Fighter from 2011… 

That is all I can assume as of now. 

55 minutes ago, Old Master said:

that Tie Pilot may be out of place too ;)

I would be surprised if they are piloted by something else tbh.

3 hours ago, Old Master said:

At this point in Mando S3 we can pretty much see the big picture and man is it sad that Interceptor vs. Fang is the only set we are getting for the latter half of the season :(  

It might be more of August 2024, because of how long set production takes, but I’m sure we’ll get lots of the spoilery stuff next year.

(Since Lego cares about the Mandalorian a lot more than the other Disney+ shows)

Edited by QuiggoldsPegLeg

3 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

I also disagree with his point cause there a ton of great sets under $150 that are amazing value like the trouble on tatooine, but I think some of the sets you named don't really have that value he was talking about.
For example the $30 501st set( not a battlepack) had bizzarely innacurate and oversized vehicles that most fans that have any self respect didn't even build and had only 4 figures making the way for LEGO to keep robbing their costumers and pricing out people by charging $30 for upcoming swamp speeder, $35 for dark trooper attack etc. The builds were so bad people went above any beyond to make something else out of it.
$60 for the old 501st set gave you 8 figures and now for $60 you can get 3 snowtrooper BP with 3 accurate speeders and 12 figures. 
Yes, Dark Trooper Attack set is really cool, but the value of 166 pieces and 4 figures with every detail being a sticker (11 of them) doesn't really scream value for $35. Things like the 4+ AT-ST are even worse.

The mandalorian starfighter build was falsely advertised and looked like it can be displayed in 90 degree angle which it can't, because they cheaped out on the landing gear the set is tilting downwards, set also has gaps in the cockpit. Biggest draw were the figures of which 2/3 figures got released to half of Europe in foil bags and most of them got shipped to US. That set was 70 euros in Europe which is $77 for a bad build and only 1 figure being exclusive with a potential to be in the future foil bag making the value of the set even worse.

Those are some fair points, I concede that not all the examples I gave are/were great value. I still think the lower price tiers can bring more to the table than they are sometimes given credit. The snowtrooper battle pack is definitely a good one in my opinion.

I think my main gripe with the original comment was that it seems like it's always a "given" that the biggest, most expensive sets are "the best", which doesn't really require any insight or investigation. Obviously a $500 set includes more than a $50 set. I just wish more reviews would lean into the value proposition and not just whether a set is a huge, impressive display piece.

1 hour ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

It might be more of August 2024, because of how long set production takes, but I’m sure we’ll get lots of the spoilery stuff next year.

(Since Lego cares about the Mandalorian a lot more than the other Disney+ shows)

Agreed, I would be shocked if we don't see (S3E7 spoilers) 

Spoiler

the new Gideon design and the new Dark Troopers, and probably the Praetorian Guards too

by the end of 2024. Mandalorian is pretty clearly the most popular Star Wars show and apparently the one that sells the best in the realm of Lego too, so I have no doubt that Lego will give us just about every important character from this season aside from maybe the two main characters of the third episode (if you count them), since that one didn't have a lot of things I think Lego would want to adapt.

5 hours ago, Old Master said:

I'm almost positive we'll get more next year.  They waited until 2022 to put out the set with Luke in it so as to avoid major spoilers, and they've given Mando so much love over the past 4 years that they'll definitely give us at least one or two sets based on S3 next year before S4 comes out.  Like, especially since right now the new Bo-Katan only comes in the one set, given that she's basically a main character now, she seems like a no-brainer to put into another set or two next year.  Heck, I could see them doing another Mandalorian starfighter even though the old one just retired a few months ago, if nothing else because of how much focus there's been on it this season (in S2 it was pretty much just in the background of a couple of episodes, whereas they've probably spent more time in Bo-Katan's fighter than any other vehicle so far this season).

I posted about this in the wishlist thread but I think they'd only need to do two more sets:

A larger and recolored version of the Gauntlet Fighter and Gorian Shard's Corsair. LEGO could spread Grogu in IG-12, R5-D4, Gorian Shard, updated versions of Greef and Gideon, one of the Anzellans and more generic pirates between these two sets, as well as Din and Bo reuses. 

and a battlepack:

Two of the beskar-plated commandos, one commando with the red markings and a Praetorian Guard.

to hit all the major stuff we'd want from Mando Season 3 before calling it a day. We've gotten a lot of the key characters and ships already in recent years. I'd imagine that we could see those throughout next year, as well as the big Ahsoka stuff we're missing, including the Phantom 2, new Ezra + Thrawn figures and some of the more spoilery things.

Edited by The Stud

14 hours ago, SketchBrick said:

I feel like I have to disagree on the second point. Lego does some awesome sets on the lower end of the price spectrum, even with Star Wars (though there are lots of great examples in the other themes too). The battle packs, despite going up to $20 (which weirdly isn't that far off the historical average, inflation-adjusted), still provide fun little builds with 4 detailed minifigs. Lego then turns around and asks for $600 for UCS sets that have the same number of figures, and still often rely on stickers or other compromises.

The past couple of years have given us the Dark Trooper Attack, Obi-Wan's Starfighter, the OG 501st battle pack, the Armored Marauder, the Mandalorian Starfighter, the newer play-scale X-Wing, and the Inquisitor Scythe, etc. (all at or below $100). I know this forum gets weighted towards the heavy-duty collectors who are able/willing to spend thousands of dollars per year on the biggest releases, but I would argue a majority of general consumers are happy to see smaller sets - that they can easily afford - take up more shelf space. I don't think it does most of us any favors to continue praising Lego's most expensive sets while ignoring the real value simpler products can bring to the table.

While I agree that those are all great sets I can also name a couple of bad ones that are grossly overpriced: Grevious Starfighter, Imperial Shuttle, Obi-Wan vs Darth Vader (the grey block one) & the Knights of Ren Transport. That's not to say they're all awful cause I picked a couple during Costco & Amazon discounts for 20-40% off but I would never have bought any of them for full price because they are not worth the price point Lego has chosen. It will depend on our preferences so it's a bit of a moot point but I do think it's fair to say a couple of the lower-priced sets are not worth their selling price. 

On your other point about UCS, you're not supposed to buy those for mini-figs. The $600 price tag for a UCS set isn't so they will give you 20 figs but rather a massive displayable build, figures shouldn't be the draw for UCS sets they are merely a bonus. I do wish they would get rid of stickers since it is a corner cut that isn't necessary at the price point. 

It's too soon for another gauntlet imo, perhaps unless they make it at a radically different scale ( mircofighters or 1000+ part set).

On 4/12/2023 at 10:10 AM, omegabadbatch said:

im not excited about 332nd clones in swamp speeder beacuse they will come with bigger helmet with holes

The new helmet mould is not actually larger, but the holes can make it look larger from some angles. 

27 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

It's too soon for another gauntlet imo, perhaps unless they make it at a radically different scale ( mircofighters or 1000+ part set).

Agreed. Maybe something like a $150 Gozanti with Moff (spoiler outfit), Elia Kane (S2 Imperial uniform), Axe Woves (S3 chestplate), Bo-Katan (silver pauldron print), a generic Imperial and/or Koska Reeves? 🤔

1 hour ago, Agent Kallus said:

Perhaps, but it would be larger and have an alternate colour scheme. 

Plus, it’s a great way to correct some of the issues with the 2020 model whilst adding additionally features, chiefly a troop carrier bay, if possible.

8 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

Perhaps, but it would be larger and have an alternate colour scheme. 

Plus, it’s a great way to correct some of the issues with the 2020 model whilst adding additionally features, chiefly a troop carrier bay, if possible.

The only way that I see us getting a new Gauntlet in the next few years is if it is a Minifig-scaled UCS (see Slave I, second Falcon, Razor Crest, AT-AT, etc). 
This would be a very large set (if truly Minifig scale), as the Gauntlet is over 52 meters long (for comparison, the Falcon is only around 35m!). 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

8 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

The only way that I see us getting a new Gauntlet in the next few years is if it is a Minifig-scaled UCS (see Slave I, second Falcon, Razor Crest, AT-AT, etc). 
This would be a very large set (if truly Minifig scale), as the Gauntlet is over 52 meters long (for comparison, the Falcon is only around 35m!). 

I genuinely see a release unless an obvious alternative appears in the final episode. 

It’s a perfect way into those characters. 

I don’t think it’s too early, because it will look different and it’s from a different era, too. But that’s just my opinion. 

I’m all for a Gauntlet that sits at a higher non-UCS price point. The 2020 one was serviceable, but ultimately it was just a two pilot craft that failed to do justice to how cool the ship really is.

Re-evaluating the ship with a 1000-1500 piece count would work wonders. You can fit in a proper cockpit for the ship, a small hangar to deploy Mandalorians from the back, and maintain the spinning wings. 

On the topic of the latest episode though, I suspect that Lego just didn’t know about the new characters due to Lucasfilm being secretive as always. Seems far more likely than Lego knowing of them, but choosing not to represent them in minifigure form. Lucasfilm’s notorious levels of secrecy feels frustrating, because you can even see that with the Hasbro ‘Mando Mania’ reveals, most products are either based on the Book of Boba Fett, or are ‘safe’ bets on Mando S3 like the N-1.

My only concern with getting more Mando sets is Lego’s new release pattern - i.e. tiny January wave, sizeable Spring sets typically to coincide with a new show, and then a deluge of awesome sets in the summer / autumn period. Realistically, the earliest I can see us getting these is next summer, and that’s if Lego can accommodate them in between basing sets on 2024 and legacy content.

Edited by Kaijumeister

1 hour ago, Kaijumeister said:

I’m all for a Gauntlet that sits at a higher non-UCS price point. The 2020 one was serviceable, but ultimately it was just a two pilot craft that failed to do justice to how cool the ship really is.

Re-evaluating the ship with a 1000-1500 piece count would work wonders. You can fit in a proper cockpit for the ship, a small hangar to deploy Mandalorians from the back, and maintain the spinning wings. 

On the topic of the latest episode though, I suspect that Lego just didn’t know about the new characters due to Lucasfilm being secretive as always. Seems far more likely than Lego knowing of them, but choosing not to represent them in minifigure form. Lucasfilm’s notorious levels of secrecy feels frustrating, because you can even see that with the Hasbro ‘Mando Mania’ reveals, most products are either based on the Book of Boba Fett, or are ‘safe’ bets on Mando S3 like the N-1.

My only concern with getting more Mando sets is Lego’s new release pattern - i.e. tiny January wave, sizeable Spring sets typically to coincide with a new show, and then a deluge of awesome sets in the summer / autumn period. Realistically, the earliest I can see us getting these is next summer, and that’s if Lego can accommodate them in between basing sets on 2024 and legacy content.

I am personally extremely glad that Lucasfilm doesn’t reveal more spoilery stuff than they already do. I want to actually enjoy the show as it’s coming out, and the merchandise around it can come out afterwards. 

22 minutes ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

I am personally extremely glad that Lucasfilm doesn’t reveal more spoilery stuff than they already do. I want to actually enjoy the show as it’s coming out, and the merchandise around it can come out afterwards. 

At the same time, I feel like they go too far secrecy-wise. I mean, would it really have ruined the show if there was an imperial trooper battle pack with those designs? Or for a set of Axe Wove's Gozanti to have released? I'll grant you 

Spoiler

mando gideon

may be a spoiler, but even then, I feel like an August set with that character would be fine.

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

At the same time, I feel like they go too far secrecy-wise. I mean, would it really have ruined the show if there was an imperial trooper battle pack with those designs? Or for a set of Axe Wove's Gozanti to have released? I'll grant you 

Reveal hidden contents

mando gideon

may be a spoiler, but even then, I feel like an August set with that character would be fine.

The trooper designs would’ve affected how well people would be able to predict the story of the show as it unfolds throughout the season. It wouldn’t have necessarily ruined anything, but people would have a better experience watching the show without knowing of their existence.

I personally don’t care that much about it for Mando S3, because I don’t really care about the Imperials or Mandalorians, however I would feel differently when it comes to spoilers for something like Bad Batch, Kenobi, or the Book of Boba Fett.

Axe Woves’ Gozanti wouldn’t really be a spoiler, since it appeared in Season 2, and the only named characters that could be included in it did as well.

On 4/14/2023 at 4:59 PM, SketchBrick said:

The past couple of years have given us the Dark Trooper Attack, Obi-Wan's Starfighter, the OG 501st battle pack, the Armored Marauder, the Mandalorian Starfighter, the newer play-scale X-Wing, and the Inquisitor Scythe, etc. (all at or below $100).

I'd add the TIE bomber, Hoth AT-ST and BD-1 to that list.

On 4/14/2023 at 1:43 PM, kidtheboss611 said:

uber-expensive sets being the best sets is true and kinda sad

Somewhat true for Star Wars as the big D2C sets have been consistently good to great for several years, the last bad one was Assault on Hoth back in 2016. But that's not the case for Lego in general when you look at sets like last years Hulkbuster, Black Panther bust and Ideas football table.

10 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

The new helmet mould is not actually larger, but the holes can make it look larger from some angles. 

compare clone with holes and with no holes. Clone with holes is taller

1 hour ago, omegabadbatch said:

compare clone with holes and with no holes. Clone with holes is taller

Theyre exactly the same. Im staring at the regular and specialist 501st and theres zero difference