MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2023 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

I'm gonna pick up that sweet new Boba figure. The Stormtrooper will have to wait: Let's see which battle packs cross the horizon in 2024.

Also, total waste of set slots. Complete and inexcusable. But the figures are nice, so kriff it, I'll ball.

9 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

I have not imagined those as actual mechs, instead of construction figures. 

These are probably the first Star Wars sets that aren't even trying to mimick anything from the movies (like the Microfighters) — and they are not good. Not at all.

I'm surprised people are receiving them well here, especially with that awful price.

They're distracted by the fact that the Boba figure is good.  It's kind of smart on lego's part: afols will buy it for the new boba, not caring that it's super overpriced or that the boba mech itself is some odd non-canon thing, and parents just see a recognizable character and buy it for their kids. 

That said, the whole idea of star wars mechs is incredibly stupid to me, and I'm annoyed that they're being well-received because it means we could potentially get more. These are very clearly filling the microfighter/battle pack "cheap set" slot, and while I wasn't the biggest fan of microfighters, I'd prefer them over this. And I'd DEFINATELY prefer $16 battle packs to stuff like the $25 swamp speeder.

33 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

I'm gonna pick up that sweet new Boba figure. The Stormtrooper will have to wait: Let's see which battle packs cross the horizon in 2024.

My guess is that TLG won't release a stormtrooper battle pack anytime soon because it might eat into the sales of this mech. But then again, they also released another small Boba set this very year, even if it's a different version.

18 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

They're distracted by the fact that the Boba figure is good.  It's kind of smart on lego's part: afols will buy it for the new boba, not caring that it's super overpriced or that the boba mech itself is some odd non-canon thing, and parents just see a recognizable character and buy it for their kids. 

That said, the whole idea of star wars mechs is incredibly stupid to me, and I'm annoyed that they're being well-received because it means we could potentially get more. These are very clearly filling the microfighter/battle pack "cheap set" slot, and while I wasn't the biggest fan of microfighters, I'd prefer them over this. And I'd DEFINATELY prefer $16 battle packs to stuff like the $25 swamp speeder.

I'm inclined to agree with you on this. As you said, they made a clever choice with Vader, Boba and a stormtrooper. I'm just curious how long they could maintain such a product line. This could end in a win-win situation you know. Either they will be more or less forced to release more interesting figures (I mean, how many full helmet minifigures that aren't that interesting can you think of?) or they won't, and people won't buy them anymore, thus leading to the end of the product line. But I don't dare to be too optimistic, we might as well brace ourselves for a C-3PO mech in January 2024 the way things are going now.

As for the set slots, the last few years saw a decline of battle packs and microfighters already, even though there weren't any mechs released. I'd just like more smaller set slots in general, so that we'd at least have some decent battle packs again.

As a mech fan and a Lego fan, I might have to pick these up.

I do enjoy the ridiculousness of these, and I like that these are non-canon because (sorry) the SW universe is creatively bankrupt these days. And really, aren't you guys tired of the same designs over and over? I wish something like that Storm Trooper mech existed in the sequel movies.

I really like the chonkiness. Unlike the Marvel mechs, these actually look like mechs. I wish the Vader one was more chunky. The thumbs are stupid though.

The random parts piled onto the Storm Trooper mech don't really make any sense. And I'm kind of here for it. It's almost like the concept of greebling - random stuff added for the sake of it, but in this case it's mech bulk.

And of course, prints. Gotta support prints. I might need a bunch of those Vader prints for Blacktron.

Pretty disappointed with these, especially the Boba one but that's mainly because the other 2 are basically what I was expecting. I had higher hopes for the Boba figure.

As others have said, it's a real shame that he's yet another ESB version especially considering we're on the RotJ anniversary (also, the mech itself has the RotJ Boba details despite the minifigure being from ESB). I guess it's cool that people can get an arm-printed Boba much cheaper now but I feel like those people would be equally-happy regardless of whether he was from ESB or RotJ. 

The lack of a pauldron really is unforgivable to me since they've been doing them for Boba for over 10 years now. If Vader can fit in the mech with his cape, so can Boba. 

Also, what are the chances they're just going to reuse the standard Clone head on him? It wouldn't technically be inaccurate but would feel a bit cheap. 

Edited by CallumPears

1 hour ago, Big_Daddy said:

My guess is that TLG won't release a stormtrooper battle pack anytime soon because it might eat into the sales of this mech. But then again, they also released another small Boba set this very year, even if it's a different version.

kids would still buy stormtrooper mech if stormtrooper battlepack would exsist in same time

Edited by omegabadbatch

While personally I don't like the mechs as a whole (for various reasons), the Boba Fett one is intriguing to me though. I'm glad they're releasing an updated arm printed OT fig. I am a little disappointed about the lack of a side cape. I do have the 2017 Skiff Escape set so I can borrow my other Fett's cape to make up for it. I do feel like they could've put more interesting sets in their stead or at least lower the price a bit.

1 hour ago, CallumPears said:

Also, what are the chances they're just going to reuse the standard Clone head on him? It wouldn't technically be inaccurate but would feel a bit cheap. 

I hope not. I'd think that if they felt the need to remake an OT fig, they'd redo the head while they're at it right? 

2 hours ago, danth said:

I do enjoy the ridiculousness of these, and I like that these are non-canon because (sorry) the SW universe is creatively bankrupt these days. And really, aren't you guys tired of the same designs over and over? I wish something like that Storm Trooper mech existed in the sequel movies.

Putting aside the argument about whether or not mechs belong in star wars (they don't. The giant clunky things from that one obi-wan and anakin comic are stretching it, but sleek bipedal mechs like this 100% don't fit the star wars aesthetic or technology), there are a billion designs we either haven't seen in a decade+ or just have never gotten. I'm not gonna sit here and list them unless challenged, but the Mantis sticks out as a unique design (and not mainly grey) that still feels very star-warsy, is prominent in media, and hasn't been made.

1 hour ago, CallumPears said:

For awhile now they've just been throwing random head prints under there. (IIRC the UCS AT-AT had new head prints on one or two of the snowtroopers, which was a real head-scratcher). My guess is this'll be something like a reused Sloane head.

I'm happy to be critical of LEGO and I agree that these aren't up my alley, but to be fair we've gotten a ton of 18+ models over the past few months, most of which have limited play value for kids. Is it crazy for them to release a subline of cheaper sets that work as actual toys? Not in my opinion. Some will say they would prefer minifig packs (these were never on the table for this summer as per price and part count leaks), but there are sets available now which do offer "army-building capabilities" at various price points, and not every Star Wars set has to revolve around massing minifigs.

For those questioning the value here and calling these rip-offs, I would ask why $200-800 UCS sets with only a couple of figures are defended because "it's about the build, not the figures," while a cheap toy for 6+ can't be about the build? If they're not to your taste, I totally get that, they're not really for me either. But a decent looking minifig widely available in a chunky action-figure/mech for $16 is hardly a wallet-buster, even if I agree it'd be better priced at around $13.

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

For awhile now they've just been throwing random head prints under there. (IIRC the UCS AT-AT had new head prints on one or two of the snowtroopers, which was a real head-scratcher). My guess is this'll be something like a reused Sloane head.

@CallumPears's comment was in reference to Boba, not the stormie

4 hours ago, Big_Daddy said:

But I don't dare to be too optimistic, we might as well brace ourselves for a C-3PO mech in January 2024 the way things are going now.

I feel almost 100% confident Mando will be one of them if we get more of these.  I could also see C-3PO/R2-D2, some form of Luke, a Clone, maybe an IG-11/Grogu combo, or Kylo Ren if they wanted a sequel character.  Jango Fett would be fantastic as welll.

Interesting to compare these to the microfighter line: the new mechs average 144 pieces each, compared to microfighters which are usually 100 parts or less. Obviously ppp is an extremely loose metric, but I think it's fair to say the mechs are bulkier and provide a bit more in the box than the average microfighter. Another point is that MFs also released originally in 2014 at $10, and haven't gone up in price at all prior to this summer's Mando's N-1. Inevitably, I think we know that couldn't last forever, and inflation-adjusted they should be closer to $13 today.

What I'm getting at is that the value proposition there seems to be about the same, so if the mechs are overpriced it's mostly because all LSW is, otherwise I have to admit $16 really isn't that bad for what's on offer.

I can't wait for the inevitable brain rot of Mandalorian vs Dark Trooper Duel Mech set for $30, or the $16 R2D2 mech or my personal favourite a 501st mech going for $20 because "those clone fans will eat anything you give them". If you buy these current mechs YOU KNOW, that is the slop they'll serve up to us. It's what they did with microfighters and helmets, you know it's gonna happen here if you encourage them. if I see a full shelf of unsold 2024 Lando Calrissian mechs on sale at Tesco for 90% off in the year 2035 I'm going to come back here and show you what YOU did to this world by giving lego an inch.

29 minutes ago, SketchBrick said:

Interesting to compare these to the microfighter line: the new mechs average 144 pieces each, compared to microfighters which are usually 100 parts or less. Obviously ppp is an extremely loose metric, but I think it's fair to say the mechs are bulkier and provide a bit more in the box than the average microfighter. Another point is that MFs also released originally in 2014 at $10, and haven't gone up in price at all prior to this summer's Mando's N-1. Inevitably, I think we know that couldn't last forever, and inflation-adjusted they should be closer to $13 today.

What I'm getting at is that the value proposition there seems to be about the same, so if the mechs are overpriced it's mostly because all LSW is, otherwise I have to admit $16 really isn't that bad for what's on offer.

You can go on bricklink and buy a storm trooper for $3. You can get vader for like $10, and you can just wait for Boba to be in another set and he'll also be like $8

What's "on offer" here is literally nothing. They look terrible. You can't exactly play with them 1. because most adults don't play at all, and 2. kids are gonna be able to reinact their favourite star wars scenes, ya know, that duel between darth vader and a singular storm trooper, very action much iconic.

You're being overcharged for a figure. That's all it is. There is no reason for anyone to ever want these. They are pointless. They are ugly. They are buildable figures 3.0. But ya put a damn minifigure in something and LSW fans inhale the damn things as if they're not gonna buy the $60 sets with those figures in them anyway and end up with duplicates. Then they'll complain that that some minute detail is wrong with the figure they own 4 of. "reeeeeeeeee the phase 1 clone trooper has 6 lines not 5 an- IS THAT A FREAKING BOBA FETT MECH, I'LL TAKE UR ENTIRE STOCK" literally, because they're gonna buy 30 of them at full price, put them up to $30 and claim that lego investing is dead when nobody buys one, and then their friend is gonna complain that there's no stock for the set and absolutely cry themselves to sleep over it because they can't wait 9 days for them to restock. Because the LSW fanbase is simply the worst. Myself included.

11 minutes ago, Hhalcyon said:

I can't wait for the inevitable brain rot of Mandalorian vs Dark Trooper Duel Mech set for $30, or the $16 R2D2 mech or my personal favourite a 501st mech going for $20 because "those clone fans will eat anything you give them". If you buy these current mechs YOU KNOW, that is the slop they'll serve up to us. It's what they did with microfighters and helmets, you know it's gonna happen here if you encourage them. if I see a full shelf of unsold 2024 Lando Calrissian mechs on sale at Tesco for 90% off in the year 2035 I'm going to come back here and show you what YOU did to this world by giving lego an inch.

I have so many questions. First off, what makes you think microfighters are bad? They've generally been good, some misses to be sure, but generally, you get a decent figure with a mini ship which isn't terrible (Boba's last ship for instance is really well done). Second, in what way does a Lando Mech being on sale affect you negatively exactly? Also, the mechs are gonna be bought....regardless. Wanna know why? Because kids will want em and parents will buy them as they're cheap and they're toys. The helmets were targeted to a much older audience, and those didn't do that well, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Y'all keep fundamentally forgetting that these specific toys (toys) aren't targeted towards adults. Don't let it get to you, there are other sets that are legitimately good that you could spend your money on, like the Inquisitor ship.

Adults getting upset that children’s toys don’t appeal to them, how confusing. 

Lego should go back to capping the ages on their boxes for anything under 16/18 but it’s better for marketing I suppose. 6-12, 9-14, would clear up a lot of confusion from the adults who are wondering why a set intended for kids is “inaccurate” or “not canon”. 

Lol literally the age range on the mech boxes is 6+, the anger against them is generally quite confusing, I agree. Im actually pleasantly surprised, they're not as bad as I thought they'd be. Boba's has really grown on me. 

The Mechs look better than I thought they would tbh. I may end up buying one or two for some limb pieces and minifigures. 

1 hour ago, Fulcrumfan91 said:

Lol literally the age range on the mech boxes is 6+, the anger against them is generally quite confusing, I agree. Im actually pleasantly surprised, they're not as bad as I thought they'd be. Boba's has really grown on me. 

LOL I know right? Not sure who went in that guy's cheerios. I'm upfront with not being very interested in these personally, but I know that I'm not the target audience, and I can understand why Lego thinks these will be popular for the 6+ range (even if they don't satisfy every AFOL). Again, we've gotten plenty of 18+ sets recently; heaven forbid a few of the summer sets are actually meant for kids :oh3:

1 hour ago, Fulcrumfan91 said:

I have so many questions. First off, what makes you think microfighters are bad? They've generally been good, some misses to be sure, but generally, you get a decent figure with a mini ship which isn't terrible (Boba's last ship for instance is really well done). Second, in what way does a Lando Mech being on sale affect you negatively exactly? Also, the mechs are gonna be bought....regardless. Wanna know why? Because kids will want em and parents will buy them as they're cheap and they're toys. The helmets were targeted to a much older audience, and those didn't do that well, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Y'all keep fundamentally forgetting that these specific toys (toys) aren't targeted towards adults. Don't let it get to you, there are other sets that are legitimately good that you could spend your money on, like the Inquisitor ship.

I generally agree, but I'd say these two things:

1. The mechs in general are almost certainly meant as a replacement to microfighters, so if you like microfighters, it is affecting you negatively.

2. I don't think the helmets have done particularly poorly. The Dark Trooper helmet didn't do well, but as far as I can tell the others all did just about as well as lego expected.

Personally, I'd like to see small system scaled sets with 1-2 figs if we're getting rid of microfighters. Something like the guardians headquarters set from marvel, maybe, with a build and 2 figs for $10.

How dare people consider spending some of their own money on a toy that others have shown disdain for? :sarcasm_smug:

Maybe it's possible that these are nice simple sets (for sure overpriced, but where I am 20% off sales are common and I never feel the need to buy day one) that I could see myself throwing together after a long day at work. The Boba set looks great and while I didn't have any interest in the Stormtrooper set when it was announced the details on the build look interesting; as others have said it's almost something that could exist in-universe, and I'm a sucker for Mini-Rig style sets. Sure I could go Bricklink a Stormie for several dollars, but I'm honestly buying these for the builds, arm printing does not concern me.

As a dad of 3 kids I can say these will be extremely popular with children. If I got my son a Darth Vader mech and a Stormtrooper mech he'd just put his Han Solo or Luke Skywalker fig in the Stormtrooper one and say they were in disguise. Kids have great imaginations.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the mechs on an aesthetic level and would prefer something else. But I think Lego is playing a very smart game with these and we will see more. Not to convince me kids to spend their allowance on something else I can borrow parts from...