Ayrlego

[COR-FB] Building Blocks for Queenston - Part 1: Clay Pit

It is now almost six months since Colonel Dirk Allcock was dispatched to Arlintina to establish a new settlement for the crown. After initial scouting and the selection of a location, Colonel Allcock lead a short expedition into the interior while the first tranche of settlers began to establish the basics for the new colony. In his absence, a promising privateer captain by the name of Edward Scarver had established a logging camp, whilst other settlers had located a suitable source of clay for use in the production of bricks. Newly returned from the interior, Colonel Allcock inspects the now operational clay pit. Here the raw material is collected and then transported to the next stage of production.

52084011791_b5b1d24829_c.jpg

Heavily based on Letranger Absurde's Clay Pit. Also trying out 'fleshie' Allcock for when he meets Scarver (who is fleshie!) soon. Not quite sure how to license this one. Next up will be moulding the bricks and then a kiln for firing - not sure if I'll separate them or combine them but either way they'll be factories. @Capt Wolf's Brickmaker in Interlagos was the initial inspiration for this (hopefully) series of small builds. Part one here could be a factory I guess...? or maybe a plantation in the same way a plantation such as sugar cane provides the raw materials for processing??? Or maybe an artisan (might be a bit of a stretch??) Any thoughts/arguments for any of the options? Otherwise I'll probably just pick either factory or plantation...

Nice build, the brown border works well! I wasn't aware Gree Karga was into building colonial settlements :pir_laugh2:

To me, it would better fit in with the mines and quarries, but that obviously isn't an option!

Nice use of nougats and dark orange - looks muddy! The color palette reminds me of all of those Star Wars builds on other planets, but works well for this purpose. Fun to see Allcock in fleshie

Great work as usual, the clay pit is very convincing. I'd say it could work as either a plantation or factory, but then again I'm not the most experienced player in the game, so don't take my word for it.

You don't have to use fleshies for when we meet ! I don't mind being translated to yellow at all:pir-blush:

Edited by Justsomebrix

This looks very nice, dirty and real. Colonel Dirk Allcock has a very nice clean uniform, hope no one accidentally stumbles and it gets dirty. :pir-grin:

Edited by NOD

Very impressive, and a nice change from the usual structures! It looks ... muddy! :pir-grin:

9 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Brickmaker in Interlagos was the initial inspiration for this (hopefully) series of small builds.

Glad to have inspired this, and I look forward to the series.

9 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Not quite sure how to license this one.

6 hours ago, Spud The Viking said:

To me, it would better fit in with the mines and quarries, but that obviously isn't an option!

That was my initial thought: license it as a mine. And I don't see why it couldn't be licensed as such. The kiln will be your factory.

5 hours ago, Justsomebrix said:

I'd say it could work as ... a plantation

I think this is the alternative to a mine, but I'm still inclined to go with mine first, unless the mine rules are problematic for this.

The trans-clear tiles look so good here!  Good call with the brown border too.  Also despite having a healthy dislike for fleshies, I think they work well in this setting, not distracting from the nougat and dark orange clays. 

1 hour ago, Capt Wolf said:

license it as a mine. And I don't see why it couldn't be licensed as such.

Technically to license a mine you need a prospecting build. A dice roll then determines the type of mineral you strike. The default (highest percentage mineral) for most islands is usually rock - which I guess clay would fit under? So technically I couldn't license this as a mine (rock quarry) without a prospecting build and then a roll that revealed rock (and you can bet that when you want the most common mineral, you'll probably roll something rare like gold!!! Murphy's Law!!!).

We could add an amendment to the mining rules to say you don't need to prospect if all you want is a rock quarry? To me that makes sense - if you aren't looking for anything exotic and just want rock then you can just build a rock mine/clay pit/sandstone quarry etc. But if you want to roll the dice for something more valuable, then you gamble with a prospecting build. You may still end up with rock (ie nothing), but you may strike gold (or silver, iron, saltpetre, etc). Also if you did this I think you'd need to adjust the yields of coal, saltpetre and salt to make them more valuable than rock - to make the gamble worthwhile. I could quickly overhaul the mining rules, maybe even simplify then slightly- they are quite complex and it is a fun but relatively under utilised feature of the game. I guess it depends on whether there is any appetite to do so?

In the meantime, I think I'll just go with plantation! If I recall Brickwolf once licensed a 'salt farm' as a small plantation - so there definitely is precedence!

7 hours ago, Justsomebrix said:

You don't have to use fleshies for when we meet ! I don't mind being translated to yellow at all:pir-blush:

Oh I just need an excuse and Scarver being fleshie is perfect!!! :pir_laugh2:

@Ayrlego I think it seems logical that you can make a rock mine without rolling the dice. I don't really see the point in having to gamble for the least valuable material.

7 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

We could add an amendment to the mining rules to say you don't need to prospect if all you want is a rock quarry? To me that makes sense - if you aren't looking for anything exotic and just want rock then you can just build a rock mine/clay pit/sandstone quarry etc. But if you want to roll the dice for something more valuable, then you gamble with a prospecting build.

Yep, this is what I had in mind.

7 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

In the meantime, I think I'll just go with plantation!

That works too. I just like to see us try to be flexible enough to make the rules fit the game, if that makes sense. :pir-grin:

Loving the color scheme on this. Great combination of earthen hues.