jtooker

VIKING VILLAGE Ideas set via Target vote

Unfortunately Brickset is quoting a higher price point than the one mentioned by BrickClicker (in particular in the UK where it would apparently sell for £140 rather than 115). Otherwise, good first impressions but not the greatest bargain of 2023 sadly. 

Oh, wow, this looks great! More Vikings would be nice, but I have some older ones I can throw in to help fill the ranks. I also wish the trees were a little bigger, but that's a bit of a nitpick. Hopefully the rumored Medieval Market Village can get this same level of attention and love...

Well funny you should say that… because the TLG press release mentions a “lego medieval village” twice (in first and last paragraphs) though one can certainly hope the “other” village will also see the light of day sooner rather than later (and with more minifigs without another huge price bump).

I like the viking village! The hall (if the central building is one) and tower look great. I also like the rope bridge. The minifigures look much too friendly though :laugh: I'd prefer some more mature vikings with muted color cloths and heavy fur capes.

I had planned to not buy more sets this year but by the looks it is very tempting. Will wait for high res pictures :thumbup:

Brickset corrected their typo, the gbp price us still unknown rather than 140… rollercoaster… hopefully it will indeed be £115!

Are 4 viking villages worth more to you than 1 Rivendell?

or 3 VV vs. 1 lion knight castle?

it’s good to have a nice set at a more affordable price point but volume-wise one might get less pound for pound (based on pics only).

i think VV looks good on display though it lacks some verticality (possibly better than 10320) but the available space (except for the chief’s hut) is really minimal. 

Oh, this looks lovely! It seems very true to both the overall composition and the mottled earth tones of BrickHammer's original submission, while also reducing the "blockiness" of the cliffs somewhat using BURPs and wedge slopes, and improving the color blocking in some areas like the walls around the tower windows (which now clearly differentiate the darker wooden frame from the lighter wall planks, instead of using a mix of dark and light colors for both).

It would indeed be nice if there were one or two more figs (there seems to be room for them, as long as you're not trying to fit everybody in the longhouse for a banquet), but those that are included seem to be rather nice designs. I'm always a sucker for medieval sets focusing on everyday life scenarios rather than on battles and action scenes, and this set certainly delivers in that regard!

The landscaping is very strong, both in terms of natural elements like the rocky cliffs and coastlines, and man-made elements like the stone steps up to the tower. I'm not entirely satisfied with the evergreen tree build out front, though it is a very creative build. There is also a smaller evergreen tree in the back built from the new fern pieces (including white ones for snow-covered branches) which I find a lot more visually appealing. And it's neat that the base separates into three sections — while I'm not sure whether that allows for multiple layouts or is just for ease of carrying, it does present a prime opportunity for MOCs that connect in between the sections to expand the village further!

The lower floor of the tower appears to be a storeroom with some fruits and veggies, including one using the pumpkin mold in Dark Orange (not sure if it's meant to be a "New World" species in reference to pre-Columbian Viking settlements in the Americas, or an "Old World" species like the muskmelon). Below it is a small cave with Dark Orange mineral deposits, which pairs nicely with the smithy. The entire back wall of the tower is removable for interior access, which I prefer to the separate floor modules in the original since it means a larger opening for big adult hands, and also a "minifig's eye view".

The set description makes it sound as though the smithy's forge has some kind of function to make the flames move — I'm curious to see what that's like, though I assume it's something fairly simple since I don't see a lot of space for a more elaborate mechanism. EDIT: It looks like it's activated by pressing the bellows. My guess is that it raises the flames up when you press and lowers them when you release. The biggest drawback of the final set compared to the original model, in my opinion, is that the smithy and the adjoining house have been combined into one larger structure — which means losing the cozy little bedroom.

I'm also very eager to see the back of the box at a higher resolution, since one of the photos there shows the longhouse interior in more detail (with all four figs inside). Even at this low resolution, some of the details visible include a throne for the chieftain with colorful banners on either side, and some poultry roasting on a spit. It's certainly a more spacious interior than in the original proposal, which is a plus in my book!

All in all, I feel like the designers have done a really good job here! Excited for the official reveal, and whatever pics and info will come with it!

Edited by Aanchir

31 minutes ago, unclejeffie said:

I feel a bit dissapointed in the helmets, i was hoping on more of the ones in the marvel modular set sanctum sanctirum

I think there is, in the area by the forge there seems to be at least one.

Is anyone going to put the Muppets on the creator Viking ship to pillage this village while singing "In the Navy" like in the original Muppet show?

...or is it just me?

7 hours ago, sahidko said:

Looks pretty good, will buy this one for sure. But 4 minifigs only? That's lame.

Two new torsos, four new printed legs, two new heads, a recoloured hairpiece, two different printed shields, and possibly the classic Viking helmet recoloured in PDG, is lame?? 

This looks brilliant, and the Minifigs are vastly better than I was expecting! It looks like Moon Knight’s blades are being used as horn decorations on the main building, which is clever, but I am surprised that the part is not IP-locked (happy that it is not, though). Nevermind; they are just gold hotdogs. 🫤
Also, it looks like the set has no stickers
@danth

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

Can't deny that more minifigures would have been nice, but otherwise the set looks fantastic. Can't wait to get it.

4 minutes ago, Sir Dano said:

Can't deny that more minifigures would have been nice, but otherwise the set looks fantastic. Can't wait to get it.

I always love getting lots of Minifigs, but I think that realistically only one more could have been added before the set starts to look cluttered. That said, a repeat of this guy but with the female warrior’s legs would have been doable without exceeding the change budget for the set. 

Speaking of, there are a lot of new parts (prints, recolours) in this set - I wonder if they are going to reappear in the Medieval goat village? Maybe the set’s story will be something like the Mill Village Raid, but with Vikings instead of Dragon Knights? 🤔

Just now, Shroffy123 said:

Looks great. Definite buy for me. When does the GWP majisto come out? I'll likely purchase it at that time 

November, I think. 

13 minutes ago, Follows Closely said:

I suspect that this will be a rebrickable favorite like the 3-in-1 castle.

I am curious to see if it can be expanded nicely (without too much repetition) by purchasing multiples. 

Update: I saw some more pics on IG, and the blacksmith is definitely female (she has lipstick, but no eyelashes/eyeliner) - This is actually a first! 👍
Additionally, the blacksmith’s hammer is printed, and there are printed 2x2 round tiles with a dragon and braids pattern! 

Thus far, the new parts that we are getting: 
 - Two printed torsos. 
 - Four printed legs. 
 - Two new heads. 
 - Two printed shields. 
 - One printed 1x4 tile. 
 - One printed Nexo shield tile. 
 - One printed 2x2 round tile. 
 - Printed Mjolnir. 
 - Recoloured classic Vikings helmet in PDG. 

1 hour ago, Follows Closely said:

I suspect that this will be a rebrickable favorite like the 3-in-1 castle.

Agreed.  I'm hoping someone makes a Rohan version.  The pics are small but the longhouse may need to be lengthened a bit to fit 5-6 minifigures for the King Theoden scene.  

How to Train Your Dragon is a given, especially as Creator is bringing a cheap dragon next year. 

Set looks pretty good.  I like the layout of the set.  I like all the new printed parts.  My youngest son said the set looks good too.   Now I may just have to buy the viking creator ship.  

10 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Two new torsos, four new printed legs, two new heads, a recoloured hairpiece, two different printed shields, and possibly the classic Viking helmet recoloured in PDG, is lame??

Where did I argue the quality of minifigs included? But yeah 4 figs for set of this size is lame no matter how good they are.

7 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I am curious to see if it can be expanded nicely (without too much repetition) by purchasing multiples. 

I imagine it can be extended quite easily. It looks simple to double the length of the hall and change the height of the tower things. If you already have a stock of log bricks, other ramshackle building could easily fill in gaps and randomise the look. In a way that is the downside for me. The builds already look a bit simple. The big hall is fine but the smaller buildings look rather basic, with what appears to be rather simple rockwork. Without the hall, it is a bit reminiscent of The Battle of Five Armies. I have enough basic parts so I probably won't be buying the set, but will go for the printed tiles, ravens and maybe figure parts on PAB instead. It really depends what the parts inventory looks like. Given the apparent small size but high part count, I can imagine there will be many smaller parts.