18 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Well, I'm flattered! Here's a spreadsheet where I've been gathering set, theme, subtheme, and character names from catalogs and other print media from various countries: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dT_lHtnZLce6EgssDvITRQ41bxtpykPIbyCFWYM84P8/edit?usp=sharing

It's sort of an eternal work-in-progress, and in hindsight there are parts I wish I'd organized better (I also wish I'd done better citing sources for some of these names so I could keep track of which are from catalogs, which are from comics/magazine ads, etc), but there's probably plenty there to sate your curiosity, even if it's far from comprehensive.

Wow! Thank you.

That's more than I could have hope for, comprehensive was my first thought. I'm getting far off topic but I can probably fill in quite a lot of the empty AU set names if you'd like, based on my Australian Catalogues?

Regarding the talk of the bland grey walls, I don't agree with it but I can understand the opinion. 

Once I get it, I do plan on experimenting with replacing some existing masonry bricks with 1x2 DBG masonary bricks in yet undetermined places and I'll probably add a couple more plant leaves in addition to the lone one on the outer wall of the courtyard, to break up the grey slab. 

I may also experiment with some LBG 1x1 and 1x2 modified bricks with studs on the sides and cover them with DBG 1x1 and 1x2 tiles to try and replicate the printed stonework look here: 

19 hours ago, Triceron said:

I'm okay with the colors of the single monotone grey, but I prefer it broken up with some dark greys here and there.

640x480.png

Like how even the classic Wall plates have some dark grey stonework, this could have helped add some color variety without being overly contrasted.

That's the fun of it all, trying different things and personalising it as your own.

20 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Well, I'm flattered! Here's a spreadsheet where I've been gathering set, theme, subtheme, and character names from catalogs and other print media from various countries: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dT_lHtnZLce6EgssDvITRQ41bxtpykPIbyCFWYM84P8/edit?usp=sharing

It's sort of an eternal work-in-progress, and in hindsight there are parts I wish I'd organized better (I also wish I'd done better citing sources for some of these names so I could keep track of which are from catalogs, which are from comics/magazine ads, etc), but there's probably plenty there to sate your curiosity, even if it's far from comprehensive.

Wow, quite the resource. Been ages since I've seen the word 'ukkies'. :laugh:
In case you like to perfect it, I can make some suggestions for the Dutch translations in the medieval section.

'Kasteelbewoners' (no "-" between the words), 'Drakenridders' (one word), and 'Schateilandbewoners' instead of 'Schateilanders'.

I am both really happy and simultaneously really dissapointed with the set because 499.- is an amount of cash I just cannot justify spending on Lego but the set is awesome and if I wasn't a budget AFOL I'd buy this in a heartbeat.

21 minutes ago, Dutch Thriceman said:

I am both really happy and simultaneously really dissapointed with the set because 499.- is an amount of cash I just cannot justify spending on Lego but the set is awesome and if I wasn't a budget AFOL I'd buy this in a heartbeat.

You got me running to the LEGO site for a moment. The castle is about 20% cheaper then you thought.

20 minutes ago, Dutch Thriceman said:

I know that feeling all too well. :cry_sad: I was working at McDonald's when the Imperial Flagship was released. There was just absolutely no way I could afford it. It feels really bad when Lego releases a great set like this and you just don't have the money. I was only able to afford one small set when the 2009 pirates came out, but I was really grateful to be able to get something. It does make me upset that they're only making expensive sets in these classic themes now. I wish they'd do a lot more smaller sets.

Maybe you could at least grab the minifigures from Pick a Brick at some point.

28 minutes ago, GeoBrick said:

You got me running to the LEGO site for a moment. The castle is about 20% cheaper then you thought.

My bad I was googling the price because I thought it wasn't on their site yet (my original search attempt didn't work for some reason) and some third party site mentioned it was 499 instead of the originally expected 699... regardless 399 is still an aweful lot to me. The Blacksmith set was about the max budget I was both willing And able to spend. (a little over actually but I splurged because I did really want to support Historic / Castle theme, my old flame.)

28 minutes ago, jodawill said:

I know that feeling all too well. :cry_sad: I was working at McDonald's when the Imperial Flagship was released. There was just absolutely no way I could afford it. It feels really bad when Lego releases a great set like this and you just don't have the money. I was only able to afford one small set when the 2009 pirates came out, but I was really grateful to be able to get something. It does make me upset that they're only making expensive sets in these classic themes now. I wish they'd do a lot more smaller sets.

Those new Lion figs do look fantastic, a smaller acompanying set with a few of them would've been really nice. I am also sad to miss out on the pearl gold visor which is probably going to be very overpriced on Bricklink. "It does make me upset that they're only making expensive sets in these classic themes now. I wish they'd do a lot more smaller sets." fully agree / seconded.

Edited by Dutch Thriceman

5 minutes ago, Dutch Thriceman said:

My bad I was googling the price because I thought it wasn't on their site yet (my original search attempt didn't work for some reason) and some third party site mentioned it was 499 instead of the originally expected 699... regardless 399 is still an aweful lot to me. The Blacksmith set was about the max budget I was both willing And able to spend. (a little over actually but I splurged because I did really want to support Historic / Castle theme, my old flame.)

Those new Lion figs do look fantastic, a smaller acompanying set with a few of them would've been really nice. I am also sad to miss out on the pearl gold visor which is probably going to be very overpriced on Bricklink. "It does make me upset that they're only making expensive sets in these classic themes now. I wish they'd do a lot more smaller sets." fully agree / seconded.

Is Pick a Brick available in your country? There's a chance all of these parts will show up at some point, although I wouldn't expect them to be available for very long. I check several times a day because I don't want to miss out whenever the parts drop.

2 hours ago, GeoBrick said:

Could be a currency thing.

It's $500 CAD here in Canada, though I try to stick to $400 price tag for the sake of everyone else here

Edited by Triceron

I saw that on Reddit the other day. It is impressive given the limited bricks in just three creator sets. I would like to see this with three creator and a blacksmith.

18 hours ago, MAB said:

They could not have enough and have to produce more. But that is not really what I meant.

I meant if someone presented that as a MOC, it looks like they ran out of the right colours. I know that is not what happened, and it was a design feature in many of the castles of the time, putting in black bricks around those big panels. To me it is not random (the regular placing of four black splotches around each window as below) so doesn't look like stone decay or variation in colour, but an intended decoration. But I guess it was the only way they could try to add interest at the time. To me using dark grey would at least have tied it into the decoration printed on the panels although a mixture of dark and light would have looked better still. That said, the red bricks used in Knight's Castle looks even worse.

6081-1.jpg

Ah, I see now, thank you. It looked maybe a bit odd to me isolated like that, but since it was made to fit with the others design-wise, it makes perfect sense.
I don't mind the black bricks they used at all. It's possible dark/light gray would've been better, but this is fine too. Because all designs were blocky back then, black blocks here and there feel appropriate for the level of detail.
Even the red bricks look fine to me. Since the level of detail is low, you can substitute the pure red with whatever you want in your mind.
Big black blocks like that in a more detailed castle would make it feel "low res" in a "high res" environment and thus wrong.
10305 actually has that problem with the ramp, the dark gray rocky parts and the circular grassy parts - they all feel too big and too rough ("low res") when compared to the general detail level of the castle.

14 hours ago, jodawill said:

It does make me upset that they're only making expensive sets in these classic themes now. I wish they'd do a lot more smaller sets.

I know Lego exists to make money and all, but yes... I'd rather have some great small sets. If they prove to be quality, maybe I'd feel like I'm missing on the castle when it would finally come out.
But this way, with the Blacksmith, Creator castle, Forestmen's hideout and 10305 having no design tie-ins or a feeling that they belong to the same line...

11 hours ago, woodford86 said:

Anybody else see there's another 3x3/1 alt build on Rebrickable? Heavily influenced by 10305, I like it. I'm not the creator I just really like it.

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-117304/tibipl/black-falcon-knights-fortress-3x-31120-alternate-build/#comments

Yes, and the attention it seems to be getting just because it's influenced by an actual Lego set also speaks about my theory of Lego being the reference point by default, not through merit.
Also, it's more than a bit ironic that 10305 is heavily influenced by 31120 and now someone made 10305 out of 31120 :)

I find the design to be overly messy and colorful in general.
But I think even this rendition packs more detail per square inch than the Lego version and has more of that cute bricky feel Lego used to be known for.

I forgot to say the other day. Even though Madewithbrix' design has been compared to a house and an ornate castle, the basic part is just in the style of a square medieval keep with some added fortifications.
The blue parts that make up the roof were obviously utilized because there were a lot of them and because they constitute quite an attractive build, but it is actually incredibly simple to just plop them off and replace them with battlements or the like.

It is not really that they are only making expensive sets for classic themes  now, more that they are making one expensive set for each of Castle and Space (not too bad for space). For those on a budget, it will probably be a case of using bricklink to buy the more common figures and building parts of it (or smaller MOCs) with existing bricks or buying those parts too.

If they become true themes again, I'm sure we will get smaller sets too.

2 hours ago, Merlo said:

Ah, I see now, thank you. It looked maybe a bit odd to me isolated like that, but since it was made to fit with the others design-wise, it makes perfect sense.
I don't mind the black bricks they used at all. It's possible dark/light gray would've been better, but this is fine too. Because all designs were blocky back then, black blocks here and there feel appropriate for the level of detail.
Even the red bricks look fine to me. Since the level of detail is low, you can substitute the pure red with whatever you want in your mind.
Big black blocks like that in a more detailed castle would make it feel "low res" in a "high res" environment and thus wrong.
10305 actually has that problem with the ramp, the dark gray rocky parts and the circular grassy parts - they all feel too big and too rough ("low res") when compared to the general detail level of the castle.

I know Lego exists to make money and all, but yes... I'd rather have some great small sets. If they prove to be quality, maybe I'd feel like I'm missing on the castle when it would finally come out.
But this way, with the Blacksmith, Creator castle, Forestmen's hideout and 10305 having no design tie-ins or a feeling that they belong to the same line...

Yes, and the attention it seems to be getting just because it's influenced by an actual Lego set also speaks about my theory of Lego being the reference point by default, not through merit.
Also, it's more than a bit ironic that 10305 is heavily influenced by 31120 and now someone made 10305 out of 31120 :)

I find the design to be overly messy and colorful in general.
But I think even this rendition packs more detail per square inch than the Lego version and has more of that cute bricky feel Lego used to be known for.

thats actually a good point! unlike modulars which sort of belong together you dont feel like you are missing out on anything in the castle line as it really doesn't fit together with scale in mind. like each room in the castle is smaller than the attic of the blacksmith shop. the only relation they have is the theme and the factions.

19 hours ago, Dutch Thriceman said:

I am also sad to miss out on the pearl gold visor which is probably going to be very overpriced on Bricklink. "It does make me upset that they're only making expensive sets in these classic themes now. I wish they'd do a lot more smaller sets." fully agree / seconded.

The pearl gold visor will be included on the next CMF series.

On 7/22/2022 at 4:38 PM, jodawill said:

Speaking of PAB; for months and months now I'm trying to buy the Black Falcon torsos/shields (from the blacksmith set), but with 0 success. Are they now sold out/not available because of the anniversary set; because of the recent PAB system change or are they only not available in my country?

Does anyone know dimensions when it is opened? The dimensions on the LEGO page are probably when it is closed: H: 15" (38cm) W: 18" (44cm) D: 13" (33cm). I would like to know does it fit to IKEA Billy shelf 76x26cm.

6 minutes ago, temes said:

Does anyone know dimensions when it is opened? The dimensions on the LEGO page are probably when it is closed: H: 15" (38cm) W: 18" (44cm) D: 13" (33cm). I would like to know does it fit to IKEA Billy shelf 76x26cm.

26.5 inches wide and 15.5 inches deep

53 minutes ago, brimbolet said:

Speaking of PAB; for months and months now I'm trying to buy the Black Falcon torsos/shields (from the blacksmith set), but with 0 success. Are they now sold out/not available because of the anniversary set; because of the recent PAB system change or are they only not available in my country?

When you’re saying “PAB”, do you mean Bricks and Pieces? As opposed to Pick a Brick?

For a solid year, those parts, while frequently sold out, we’re readily available on Bricks and Pieces. I was able to score them in April of last year. 

21 minutes ago, SirBlake said:

When you’re saying “PAB”, do you mean Bricks and Pieces? As opposed to Pick a Brick?

For a solid year, those parts, while frequently sold out, we’re readily available on Bricks and Pieces. I was able to score them in April of last year. 

No, I meant Pick a Brick. I thought Bricks and Pieces is gone now?

Bricks and Pieces still exists for broken or missing pieces ,but the website for Buying pieces is indeed Pick a Brick.

And then they added the Pick and Build hub as a place where both Pick a Brick and online Build a Minifigure (currently beta) are.

A lot of parts are listed as sold out though, just as an example about 140 out of 210 minifig/minidoll heads are actually available.

Edited by TeriXeri

15 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Bricks and Pieces still exists for broken or missing pieces ,but the website for Buying pieces is indeed Pick a Brick.

And then they added the Pick and Build hub as a place where both Pick a Brick and online Build a Minifigure (currently beta) are.

A lot of parts are listed as sold out though, just as an example about 140 out of 210 minifig/minidoll heads are actually available.

It’s so darn confusing. But didn’t that switch just happen a few months ago? I thought BaP was still working through 2021 at least. 

Edit: BaP as it had previously existed. 

Edited by SirBlake

3 minutes ago, SirBlake said:

It’s so darn confusing. But didn’t that switch just happen a few months ago? I thought BaP was still working through 2021 at least. 

I think the change happened around April/May this year yes.

People were able to order 2022 parts before that time, the inventory after the change just looks like a lot smaller. 

In Europe, something as basic as a smiley head has been sold out for at least a month for some reason.

Edited by TeriXeri

11 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Minifigure Factory (beta) just started here in US, but I have not seen the online BAM yet. Is this still going to be a thing?
Possibly the online build a minifig would help me to have a more affordable option to populate my castle sets, not that 10305 lacks Minifigures but it is a $400+ battle pack 😂