The center of the claw doesn't fit any technic item that I know. Do I missing something?

Edited by DHal

32 minutes ago, DHal said:

The center of the claw doesn't fit any technic item that I know. Do I missing something?

Looks like a typical Technic beam to me. It looks to be part of a linkage actuated by the small pneumatic ram to open and close the claw. It seems like a pretty hefty assembly for the ram to move.

1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

Looks like a typical Technic beam to me. It looks to be part of a linkage actuated by the small pneumatic ram to open and close the claw. It seems like a pretty hefty assembly for the ram to move.

At the bottom there are 4 axle-3 with stop. The claw's end connection cannot use any standard pin of size 3. It seems like there is a new 2x2x2 element there.

6 hours ago, DHal said:

At the bottom there are 4 axle-3 with stop. The claw's end connection cannot use any standard pin of size 3. It seems like there is a new 2x2x2 element there.

I don't think there is a new piece in there. Just imagine the friction-less 3l pins are part 77765, 3l pin with stop and no ridges.

42144_claw.jpg

It seems that model lacks of steering mechanism of front axle. Am I correct?

I think that 42053 had steering mechanism of wheels...

Edit: zoomed picture from catalogue and saw there is knob visible in the middle of front of a chassis, so it seems to be steering mechanism.

So, sorry for wrong assumptions ;)

Edited by sp1984
Additional info

That claw does look interesting, I would say it probably works better than the one on the crawler crane, as it has much less bulkiness in the center, below the pivot point of the claws. Something which prevented the previous one from actually picking up anything of substantial size.

51 minutes ago, Johnny1360 said:

That claw does look interesting, I would say it probably works better than the one on the crawler crane, as it has much less bulkiness in the center, below the pivot point of the claws. Something which prevented the previous one from actually picking up anything of substantial size.

What is the purpose of the vertical beam ?

=======================================

Here are an Orange Peel Grab & Bucket grab that I used for my Mobile materials handler which I built April 2018

Both can be easilly exchanged from the end of the dipper arm & driven via axle rods & gears powered by a PF- M motor rather than pneumatics.

52121826469_b82cb9f2a4_c.jpgIMG_8713 

Edited by doug72

1 hour ago, doug72 said:

What is the purpose of the vertical beam ?

If you look at the dipper stick, you can spot the small pneumatic ram above the claw. This seemingly opens and closes it, using the linkage that includes the vertical beam.

12 hours ago, deehtha said:

I don't think there is a new piece in there. Just imagine the friction-less 3l pins are part 77765, 3l pin with stop and no ridges.

42144_claw.jpg

Good, they must use 69819, though.

6 hours ago, sp1984 said:

It seems that model lacks of steering mechanism of front axle. Am I correct?

I think that 42053 had steering mechanism of wheels...

Edit: zoomed picture from catalogue and saw there is knob visible in the middle of front of a chassis, so it seems to be steering mechanism.

So, sorry for wrong assumptions ;)

I should be for rotating the turntable.

4 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

Actually, this is almost an identical build to the claw in 42042. Check starting on page 211 of its instructions. The only notable difference here seems to be the linkage used with the pneumatic cylinder rather than a small linear actuator. 

2 hours ago, DHal said:

I should be for rotating the turntable.

I think that Lego generally not used knob/crank mechanisms for rotating turntable in their excavator models. Only Technic excavators with rotating mechanism were: 8837 - pneumatic excavator, 8043 - motorised excavator, while most models had freely rotating (with hand) turntable, ie.: 42053 - Volvo excavator, 42006, 8851 - vintage predecessor from 1984 .

So here for 42144 I guess it would be freely rotating turntable too.

6 hours ago, jacabias said:

Actually, this is almost an identical build to the claw in 42042. Check starting on page 211 of its instructions. The only notable difference here seems to be the linkage used with the pneumatic cylinder rather than a small linear actuator. 

They look much different to me.

Saw this a while ago on Racingbrick's FB Page. A pic with a closer look at the turntable is also there. I have concerns that it will be wobbly (as usual). I liked what this dude (from promobricks) did to the turntable which was posted few months back here.

I am actually more interested in what MOCs folks will come up with this.

A side-benched 20t double bevel gear is also seen now befriending with a little worm gear :laugh:

Edited by thekoRngear

One thing that annoyed me with 42053 is the controls were not intuitive and this one seems the same as the levers turn side to side instead of forward backward...maybe that’s just me though.

anyway I am excited as this is a ‘cheaper’ set with pneumatics!!

Nice to have a change but I do prefer yellow pneumatic cylinders.

15 minutes ago, johnnytifosi said:

No B model? Has Lego officially ditched them nowadays? FFS...

Nup, at least not yet. Lego reserves 'em for smaller Technic sets. The 42132 and 42133 both have official B models

I think this looks pretty ugly, but I like functions and the part available. And those DBG pneumatics look pretty cool.

55 minutes ago, Thirdwigg said:

I think this looks pretty ugly, but I like functions and the part available. And those DBG pneumatics look pretty cool.

Dito. But sadly a missed oportunity for dual 49.5 x 14 tires...

2 hours ago, johnnytifosi said:

No B model? Has Lego officially ditched them nowadays? FFS...

I share your FFS, trust me. It's a shame TLG doesn't do alternates for the big stuff anymore. Makes it way less appealing.

3 hours ago, allanp said:

Thanks @Maaboo35. Of course I want it!

I would much sooner get a used 42053 off Bricklink, but I'm not gonna yuck your yum.

Great. This set was supposed to cost 100€ and now it's 20% more expensive on release date. 42080 was 130€ and included a battery box and motor, 8 wheels, more parts... and 42053 126€ if you added the PF Motor set. And they both had B-models too!
This set cannot be motorized, looks very wobbly and stripped-down / basic.

34 minutes ago, R0Sch said:

Not massively keen on the steering gear being right next to the axle either.

53 minutes ago, R0Sch said:

Great. This set was supposed to cost 100€ and now it's 20% more expensive on release date. 42080 was 130€ and included a battery box and motor, 8 wheels, more parts... and 42053 126€ if you added the PF Motor set. And they both had B-models too!

I second this sentiment from you along with another one where you said Technic Flagship is now more about breaking price and part count record. I guess Technic is done with itself and is now out on a mission to glorify non-Technic themes like the DeLorean or AT-AT or the new 10303 Loop Coaster set (don't take this sentiment too seriously, sarcasm is here). This year looks so bad from pure TLG Technic perspective that even an ordinary (yet proper) Technic set like 42139 feels like a huge splash of water in a desert.

BTW is this set having a differential or is it needed at all for a type of set like this?