MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2022 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

I definitely like Boba Fett’s Palace a lot better with these pictures. The exterior looks surprisingly solid and it should make for a great display with my UCS Slave 1. Hopefully the printing on Fett’s helmet turns out better than the one I got in his Starship last year.

I’m also really happy that we’re confirmed to be getting Mando’s N-1. Looks like one of my predictions from the Wishlist thread is spot on! I also wonder if the Grogu figure will be any different to show off the Beskar chainmail. I’m also excited to get Peli Motto; she’s a fun side character and has surprisingly made the most appearances out of all the side/supporting characters. The price doesn’t sound great but it is what it is.

The only other set I want from TBOBF is something with the Rancor, plus Cobb Vanth and Krrsantan minifigs, but I wasn’t crazy about the show itself so I wouldn’t want another set over something from The Bad Batch, Kenobi or Andor.

I’ll probably wait to pick up both of these sets until June 1st. Should make for a fun Lego Store trip.

On 2/10/2022 at 4:01 PM, BrickBob Studpants said:

I‘m talking about the minifig-scale one that’s rumoured to be included. They surely wouldn‘t create a new mould just for this set, if there‘s another one they could easily insert it too, right? :laugh:

Welp, I was wrong and you were right, looks like Mando's N1 is coming this summer with a molded BD-1. 

I'm glad we're getting it sooner rather than later, though the PPP is a bit worrying.

I'm very much looking forward to Mando's modified N-1, the figure line up sounds solid though there not being any side builds means this is a very expensive single person fighter. I don't want it to be massively over-sized but I also don't want to feel like I'm being ripped off by paying $60 for a small fighter... It would definitely be surprising if this releases March 1st but I wouldn't be mad at it.

Side note, it blows my mind the hate that the show got despite everything it gave us. So what if it had weird pacing and a few minor issues? It was incredible for everything else. I get so sick of how ficle Star Wars fans are and how quickly they forget how good we've got it now. It's also the whole "if it's not perfect then it's trash" mentality people have now.

Edited by ToaDraco

So with the BD-1 minifig inclusion in the BoBF set, does it mean the UCS BD-1 is not based on Fallen Order? Not that I mind much because it probably wouldn't match the color scheme most people chose while playing the game. Gonna need more pink parts for mine!

Edited by Nobricksleft

30 minutes ago, ToaDraco said:

I'm very much looking forward to Mando's modified N-1, the figure line up sounds solid though there not being any side builds means this is a very expensive single person fighter. I don't want it to be massively over-sized but I also don't want to feel like I'm being ripped off by paying $60 for a small fighter... It would definitely be surprising if this releases March 1st but I wouldn't be mad at it.

I mean, technically it's a two-seater, but yeah, it seems like the PPP won't be great for this fighter. Maybe if they use a lot of flat silver or drumlaquered silver it'll be worth it, but I can't see this being anything but LBG. Doesn't mean it can't be a good set, and honestly it's not THAT overpriced compared to some of the stuff we get nowadays, but it's still not great pricing.

32 minutes ago, ToaDraco said:

Side note, it blows my mind the hate that the show got despite everything it gave us. So what if it had weird pacing and a few minor issues? It was incredible for everything else. I get so sick of how ficle Star Wars fans are and how quickly they forget how good we've got it now. It's also the whole "if it's not perfect then it's trash" mentality people have now.

I don't want to get too off-topic so I'll put everything in a spoiler to stop it from taking up too much of the page (and also because of spoilers). This is all my opinion, of course:

Spoiler

Rodreiguz's directing was bad. There's no way around it. The episode 3 speeder chase was slow, the action in episode one especially was pretty bad, and even in the finale, it felt much smaller than a syndicate battle needed to be (Boba had what, 20 guys on his side in total?). Now part of that's budgetary, but there are cinematography tricks to make it not so obviously small-scale. (When they were running from the droids made it especially apparent to me). Every fight he directed felt more like a spy kids fight with the violence amped a bit.

The mods annoy me to no end. They might have fit on coruscant, but they don't fit on tatooine. They're way too flashy, somehow have the only colorful vehicles on the entire planet, etc. (Plus, they can't buy water, but can afford speeder bikes and to augment themselves with droid parts? Even if the water guy was overcharging, you think the civilians would be having a harder time of it then the guys who all own space vespas and cybernetic limbs)

Boba is too nice. Sure, he's with the tuskens for a bit, but they're not the nicest guys either (I mean, he meets them when they take him prisoner for literally no reason). There's not sufficant reason for me to believe or care that boba's now a goody-two shoes. This isn't specifically TBoBF's fault, star wars has a problem with their on-screen protagonists having any shade of moral ambiguity in them going all the way back to the "han no longer shoots first" retcon, but it's hard to ignore.

The pacing is REALLY bad. Barely anything happens in the "present day" parts of episodes 1-4. The hutts are set up in one episode as big bads and the literal next scene they appear in is them dropping out. We go from boba saying he wants to ride a rancor to him riding it without a single lesson in between.

Boba doesn't appear in episode 5 and barely appears in 6. Now, it's alright for something like clone wars to have arcs without anakin, as A: It's a show about the entire war featuring a variety of main characters. It's called "the clone wars", not "The book of Anakin", and B: the show has well over a hundred episodes, so taking some time away from the main cast makes sense. It does not make sense for 2/7ths of boba's own show to feature him for a total of a single scene where he doesn't really do anything. Now 5 and 6 were my favorite episodes of the show by far, but when your show's best episodes don't feature your title character, something's wrong.

3 minutes ago, Nobricksleft said:

So with the BD-1 minifig inclusion in the BoBF set, does it mean the UCS BD-1 is not based on Fallen Order? Not that I mind much because it probably wouldn't match the color scheme most people chose while playing the game. Gonna need more pink parts for mine!

...no? The set is 100% based on fallen order. All the BD Unit appearing in the starfighter set means is that lego found a way to use the mold in multiple sets to further justify the cost. 

Speaking of the BD-1 set, though, I do wonder about customization. Parts for multiple color schemes is unlikely, but it would be cool if the little upgrades he gets throughout the game were modular segments you could add or remove.

That PPP ratio is... oof. I really hope the BD minifigure and droid statue is an indicator for Fallen Order sets later this year with its sequel.  

6 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

A fine addition to my collection. Wish we got a Pit Droid mould too, but other than that, exciting. 

I suppose there's still a chance there's a brick-built one (probably pretty slim, since it would've been included with the minifigures), but it wouldn't entirely surprise me if there's a side-build that's got some of the hangar space + a Gonk + pit droid or something.  Again, probably not super likely, since that would probably be mentioned, but there's been times before where the leak doesn't contain full info.

In all honesty, I'm a bit disappointed to hear this is the other BoBF set.  Given the mixed reactions to the show, who knows if we'll see any more sets from it (I would guess if we don't get anything this summer/next winter, we're definitely not getting anything else from it, ever), but we're still missing the mods + Tusken Boba + Krrsantan + the Rancor + LEGO Danny Trejo.  Now, assuming we get a second season of the show (which I've heard we might?), I assume Krrsantan + the mods +

Cobb Vanth 

will be back, and we'd probably get at least one set, but some of the S1-only stuff seems like now or never.

Edited by Kit Figsto

10 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

I suppose there's still a chance there's a brick-built one (probably pretty slim, since it would've been included with the minifigures), but it wouldn't entirely surprise me if there's a side-build that's got some of the hangar space + a Gonk + pit droid or something.  Again, probably not super likely, since that would probably be mentioned, but there's been times before where the leak doesn't contain full info.

In all honesty, I'm a bit disappointed to hear this is the other BoBF set.  Given the mixed reactions to the show, who knows if we'll see any more sets from it (I would guess if we don't get anything this summer/next winter, we're definitely not getting anything else from it, ever), but we're still missing the mods + Tusken Boba + Krrsantan + the Rancor + LEGO Danny Trejo.  Now, assuming we get a second season of the show (which I've heard we might?), I assume Krrsantan + the mods + Cobb Vanth will be back, and we'd probably get at least one set, but some of the S1-only stuff seems like now or never.

I

Spoiler

don't think Cobb Vanth is coming back, my guy. Even Hunter with his Commando armor could barely survive a hit from Cad Bane

16 minutes ago, ForgedInLego said:

I

Hide contents

don't think Cobb Vanth is coming back, my guy. Even Hunter with his Commando armor could barely survive a hit from Cad Bane

Deleted cause I’ve got no ideas how to do spoiler tags

Edited by Brickroll

2 minutes ago, Brickroll said:

Deleted cause I’ve got no ideas how to do spoiler tags

Highlight your text and click the eye icon just above the text box

41 minutes ago, ForgedInLego said:

I

Hide contents

Watch a bit more of the credits ;)

Edited by Kit Figsto

26 minutes ago, ForgedInLego said:

Highlight your text and click the eye icon just above the text box

I think the post credits scene shows him alive?

Edited by Brickroll

It's ironic that technically we got two The Book of Boba Fett sets, but none of them are directly based on it...

Throne Room is a set based on Mando post-credit scene, while the other set is basically based on The Mandalorian Season 3.

Like bruh, is a buildable Rancor too much to ask for? I know Mando is cool and all, but I'd rather get some proper sets...

The price is awful..  this is a pretty small starfighter, with barely 400 pieces, and it's 70€... and it's not like minifigures are desirable either, except for BD.

Also, hopes for Fallen Order sets have vanquished :cry3:

31 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Also, hopes for Fallen Order sets have vanquished :cry3:

I wouldn't say so necessarily, we still have the sequel coming out later and IMO the BD unit appearing in live action is LEGO's in to see how it sells. Their track record on bigger sets from video games hasn't been great of late though.

Edited by TeddytheSpoon

Hehe, called it! :laugh:

I definitely believe the set could be released earlier. After all, why would they release a single set in June sandwiched between the dioramas in May and the 2HY sets in August? Always found that suspicious

9 hours ago, jdubbs said:

The last version of Jabba's Palace was $120, ten years ago. The last version of the Naboo Fighter was $50, seven years ago. Both had similar piece counts. Not really seeing how these prices amount to LEGO being greedy...

Sure, but 2012 palace had special mold for Jabba, so this price was more justifieble. N1 from 2015 had better value, 3 minifigs, 3 battle droids, 2 buildable Droidekas. And some side build for hangar. So both sets were better value in their past versions.

5 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I mean, technically it's a two-seater, but yeah, it seems like the PPP won't be great for this fighter. Maybe if they use a lot of flat silver or drumlaquered silver it'll be worth it, but I can't see this being anything but LBG. Doesn't mean it can't be a good set, and honestly it's not THAT overpriced compared to some of the stuff we get nowadays, but it's still not great pricing.

Ha, yes you're right technically. For the PPP I certainly hope it has quite a few drumlaquered parts but we shall see. 

Edited by ToaDraco

3 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

It's ironic that technically we got two The Book of Boba Fett sets, but none of them are directly based on it...

Throne Room is a set based on Mando post-credit scene, while the other set is basically based on The Mandalorian Season 3.

Like bruh, is a buildable Rancor too much to ask for? I know Mando is cool and all, but I'd rather get some proper sets...

The price is awful..  this is a pretty small starfighter, with barely 400 pieces, and it's 70€... and it's not like minifigures are desirable either, except for BD.

Yeah that's definitely a bit frustrating but I'm hopeful we'll get more in the future. There was a lot of really cool stuff in the show that deserves to get made. Also, I would greatly prefer if they brought back the Rancor mold instead of brick-built, perhaps with a slightly modified body to make it easier to have a rider and have a stud on wither side of the face for the bridle.

The PPP for the fighter is definitely really rough. Some of those better be drumlaquered silver. I'm also curious how many of those are going to be rather large parts. Surely it can't be many without compromising the shape. I never got any of the past N-1 fighters because none of them have ever gotten the shape right.

5 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I don't want to get too off-topic so I'll put everything in a spoiler to stop it from taking up too much of the page (and also because of spoilers). This is all my opinion, of course:

Reveal hidden contents

Rodreiguz's directing was bad. There's no way around it. The episode 3 speeder chase was slow, the action in episode one especially was pretty bad, and even in the finale, it felt much smaller than a syndicate battle needed to be (Boba had what, 20 guys on his side in total?). Now part of that's budgetary, but there are cinematography tricks to make it not so obviously small-scale. (When they were running from the droids made it especially apparent to me). Every fight he directed felt more like a spy kids fight with the violence amped a bit.

The mods annoy me to no end. They might have fit on coruscant, but they don't fit on tatooine. They're way too flashy, somehow have the only colorful vehicles on the entire planet, etc. (Plus, they can't buy water, but can afford speeder bikes and to augment themselves with droid parts? Even if the water guy was overcharging, you think the civilians would be having a harder time of it then the guys who all own space vespas and cybernetic limbs)

Boba is too nice. Sure, he's with the tuskens for a bit, but they're not the nicest guys either (I mean, he meets them when they take him prisoner for literally no reason). There's not sufficant reason for me to believe or care that boba's now a goody-two shoes. This isn't specifically TBoBF's fault, star wars has a problem with their on-screen protagonists having any shade of moral ambiguity in them going all the way back to the "han no longer shoots first" retcon, but it's hard to ignore.

The pacing is REALLY bad. Barely anything happens in the "present day" parts of episodes 1-4. The hutts are set up in one episode as big bads and the literal next scene they appear in is them dropping out. We go from boba saying he wants to ride a rancor to him riding it without a single lesson in between.

Boba doesn't appear in episode 5 and barely appears in 6. Now, it's alright for something like clone wars to have arcs without anakin, as A: It's a show about the entire war featuring a variety of main characters. It's called "the clone wars", not "The book of Anakin", and B: the show has well over a hundred episodes, so taking some time away from the main cast makes sense. It does not make sense for 2/7ths of boba's own show to feature him for a total of a single scene where he doesn't really do anything. Now 5 and 6 were my favorite episodes of the show by far, but when your show's best episodes don't feature your title character, something's wrong.

Spoiler

While I certainly agree with the criticisms, I just don't think they're nearly as bad as people make them out to be. It's faaar from the worst thing we've seen in Star Wars, I mean tRoS was only 3 years ago. My biggest problem by far is that they felt the need to take 2 whole episodes out of a 7 episode series to essentially be the premiere of Mando season 3 which completely derailed everything and dramatically sucked the oxygen out of the air for the character the show is supposed to be about, as much as I love those episodes, they didn't need to happen now. I hope we get a 2nd season and it would be great if Rodriguez wasn't involved, that much is certainly clear.

Edit: Sorry for the double post

Edited by ToaDraco

3 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

... and it's not like minifigures are desirable either, except for BD.

Peli is arguably the side character with the most appearances in both shows, so it‘s definitely justified :thumbup: 

Regarding the pacing issues in TBoBF: I think they could‘ve sold it as Mando S3, with a few tweaks. Put the flashbacks into one longer episode as the season premier, and then have Boba‘s and Din‘s two storylines run in parallel, before they meet up towards the end of the season :laugh:

Then again, people would‘ve complained about too much focus on Boba in that scenario :tongue:

4 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

and it's not like minifigures are desirable either, except for BD.

Peli Motto being in a set is a selling point for me personally, I was going to skip any BoBF sets but I might pick this up if the build is okay just because I like Peli. BD would be a selling point of the set for me too if the buildable one wasn't coming already.

If the N-1 is indeed supposed to be revealed this week I could definitely see a March 1st soft-release happening. Remember that the AT-ST Raider was released *before* The Mandalorian even first premiered, and similarly Anakin's Starfighter was released a whole half-year before TCW first premiered. Toy manufacturers are also pretty on the ball with movie tie-in products as well, at least where the main here/villain vehicles are concerned. It's ultimately down to what licensees have access to from Lucasfilm and when, and it has long been rumoured that Mando would be flying an N-1, it's not unreasonable to imagine that Lucasfilm tipped licensees off quite far in advance. Especially since it took them almost a year to get the Razor Crest and a Grogu figure out, I'd image both parties want to avoid a repeat of that long period of time where money is left on the table. 

The PPP is definitely not great, under other circumstances I would be waiting for a sale but as soon as I saw the ship in Ep. 5 I knew it would be hard to pass up buying an inevitable set of it day one. Peli is such a welcome inclusion as well. I hope there are some drum-lacquered silver pieces like on the Din helmet but I doubt it.

Edited by Willsy

Well that’s an unsurprising but welcome set for June, it’s funny that the N1 is priced as high as it is given Lego’s approach with sets like the X-Wing / TIE / Boba’s Ship. A new darksaber mould would be nice but can’t see that happening, but at the very least Din should be given a face print now.

Boba’s Palace is looking great. I missed out on Jabba’s back in 2012 so this is a definite buy for me, the throne section is so detailed! Damn shame that Lego didn’t bother to update Boba’s helmet and jet pack but nothing too major I suppose. Once again, the packaging is beautiful, I’m a big fan of how each property a set is based on has its own character art and colour scheme. 

It’s interesting that the $90 May set still hasn’t been confirmed. The secrecy makes me hopeful it’s going to be a Kenobi set, ideally that Inquisitor ship shown on the concept art with a nice selection of minifigures. 

Edited by T21Typhoon

30 minutes ago, T21Typhoon said:

It’s interesting that the $90 May set still hasn’t been confirmed. The secrecy makes me hopeful it’s going to be a Kenobi set, ideally that Inquisitor ship shown on the concept art with a nice selection of minifigures. 

Was this not alleged to be one of the quotes sets?

In any case I'd be surprised if it was a Kenobi set, seeing as the show doesn't come out until the 25th and I would imagine the May set would be to tie in with May the 4th. Stranger things have happened though.

1 hour ago, Childish Goblino said:

Peli Motto being in a set is a selling point for me personally, I was going to skip any BoBF sets but I might pick this up if the build is okay just because I like Peli. BD would be a selling point of the set for me too if the buildable one wasn't coming already.

Really? Imo she's one of the most irritating Star Wars characters in general. 

4 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

Was this not alleged to be one of the quotes sets?

In any case I'd be surprised if it was a Kenobi set, seeing as the show doesn't come out until the 25th and I would imagine the May set would be to tie in with May the 4th. Stranger things have happened though.

No, it wasn't. 

So I enjoyed BoBF. It wasn't the best SW thing ever, but better than the Sequels or Solo. That said, I agree with all of these critiques of the show:

10 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Reveal hidden contents

As for the sets. The Palace seems totally worth the $100 price tag. We get 2 new alien species, 1 with a new mold. And 3 more rare aliens. The set could look a little better and Boba and Fennec could have improvements. But for what we are getting I think it's a great set and I'll be picking up 2 so I can finally have some Quarrens!