MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2022 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

3 hours ago, Jerac said:

Genuinely asking - what's the problem with stickers?

Unless they try to mimic some detail like lights on a car, which never works because it is broken up to multiple stickers, RC seems to have large stickers adding necessary details to the stripes. What's the problem with that?

They're not easy to get aligned right.  The colors don't match the bricks sometimes.  They peel with age and have worse durability than print.  They significantly slow down the build process for me because of trying to get them on right.

2 hours ago, Jerac said:

Thanks. I agree with those points, just don't see that as a major issue. But - that is a personal opinion. Especially considering I like stickers, as I can cut pieces of them for my own projects. So for example my x-wing has parts of (normal) razor crest stickers for its engine details, and I cut two little triangles to fix shape of the nose. 

That said I can live with stickers on smaller sets and wouldn't see a problem with them gone from UCS.

Yeah, they have their pluses too for sure. Cool that you find multiple uses for them. I could also see younger kids getting a kick out of peeling and placing stickers, even if adults rarely do lol.

I see there are scalpers already on ebay, not for any figures though. Wonder if it will sell out this time in any region, I have my doubts.

20 minutes ago, Sneakguest said:

I see there are scalpers already on ebay, not for any figures though. Wonder if it will sell out this time in any region, I have my doubts.

I did see one bricklink seller listing the minifigs for $500USD. Will be interesting to see how quickly it sells out, there's no exclusive GWP to encourage day 1 purchasing like there was with the Cantina and AT-AT, and the global economic situation won't be helping sales either. Hopefully they are still in stock for the rumoured double VIP week next week.

People have mentioned how the inclusion of Boba's armour in the UCS RC is a nice touch, but it's the wrong colour still, but has anyone realised that it's actually worse than that? When Din had Boba's armour inside the RC, it hadn't even been repainted yet, so the least they could have done is reused the OT version so that it has some scratches as well as the yellow lines on the side, rather than the red ones that Boba painted on when he got his armour back, but they really should have made a new print that was like the OT version with the yellow lines but had extra scratches to be more accurate. LEGO has cheaped out once again!

On 10/4/2022 at 7:27 PM, McMurder_them_softly said:

We're all done with 2022 LEGO Star Wars releases, correct? 

Most likely, can always hope for a retunt of a Darth Vaders castle suprise

8 minutes ago, OCD_Chad said:

If they couldn't do chrome then why not that metallic silver they use for saber hilts for the Crest?

I don't think chrome was ever within anyone's expectations, but I do think drum-lacquered silver would still have been too expensive to produce a whole UCS set's worth of parts in without having the price go way above what the average member of the target audience would have been willing to pay. It seems they weren't even going to use it for the N-1 from earlier this year.

Edited by AD_Bricks

50 minutes ago, OCD_Chad said:

If they couldn't do chrome then why not that metallic silver they use for saber hilts for the Crest?

As @AD_Bricks points out, this would be too expensive because metallic silver parts are most likely more costly to produce than others. But there‘s an additional issue: the number of parts available at any given point is limited for logistical reasons (i.e. warehouse storage). That includes both recolours and printed parts. The number of parts required for the entire set to be realised in metallic silver would be simply INSANE :grin:

4 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

As @AD_Bricks points out, this would be too expensive because metallic silver parts are most likely more costly to produce than others. But there‘s an additional issue: the number of parts available at any given point is limited for logistical reasons (i.e. warehouse storage). That includes both recolours and printed parts. The number of parts required for the entire set to be realised in metallic silver would be simply INSANE :grin:

Why can’t they produce more pieces in flat silver? It has no coating so is durable. And constraction used to be full of it.

4 hours ago, JekPorkchops said:

Why can’t they produce more pieces in flat silver? It has no coating so is durable. And constraction used to be full of it.

I don't know this for sure, but the fact that it was mainly used on constraction pieces (which are much larger than standard bricks of course) may imply something's off with the durability of that color for standard connections, and standard bricks from it would be brittle like maroon and reddish brown used to be. I've certainly had enough flat silver speartips break off to corroborate that.

On the other hand, some flat silver standard parts do exist. The 1x2 curved slope and 1x1 stud, for example. I wonder if those bricks don't experience the same stresses as standard tiles (which I could see for the 1x1 stud, but I'm not sure about the 1x2 curved slope), or if my theory's just wrong.

On 10/3/2022 at 4:58 PM, Jerac said:

Genuinely asking - what's the problem with stickers?

Unless they try to mimic some detail like lights on a car, which never works because it is broken up to multiple stickers, RC seems to have large stickers adding necessary details to the stripes. What's the problem with that?

I am gratefull for 3rd party custom printers. Without one I would have now a "E" on my shelf instead of the Kwik-E-Mart, because pretty much all stickers peeled off after 3 years. Stickers are one of the main reasons for me to not buy sets. Printing something like the Mystery Maschine myself costs more then the Lego model an it is not possible for small customisers to print copper, silver and gold colours. Thats why I dind´t buy a single Harry Potter Set. It´s just not worth it, if something like the mirror in the Great Hall set is a sticker.

Crazy how many UCS sets are on shelves right now: Landspeeder, AT-AT, Gunship, Falcon, Star Destroyer, Razor Crest...have we ever had that many at once? 

Plus Mos Eisley and R2 (yes I know not official UCS). 

Question: do we know when the Razor Crest will go live on Amazon or when past UCS sets typically go up?

I typically always buy new sets at my local LEGO store and would love double VIP points next week, but I have a sizeable Amazon gift card I’d like to use up instead.

5 minutes ago, Ravenclaw said:

Question: do we know when the Razor Crest will go live on Amazon or when past UCS sets typically go up?

I typically always buy new sets at my local LEGO store and would love double VIP points next week, but I have a sizeable Amazon gift card I’d like to use up instead.

Usually like 3-6 months post release. That's usually the period of exclusivity. 

I was planning to get the AT-AT this year but just had to pull the trigger on the Razor Crest. I think this might just be my second favourite UCS set ever, behind only the Falcon. Can't build it until Christmas though as it's a gift. :grin:

Got double VIP points and two freebies too so definitely not complaining! Think I'll use the points on BD-1 when payday hits. 

9 hours ago, Willsy said:

I was planning to get the AT-AT this year but just had to pull the trigger on the Razor Crest. I think this might just be my second favourite UCS set ever, behind only the Falcon. Can't build it until Christmas though as it's a gift. :grin:

Got double VIP points and two freebies too so definitely not complaining! Think I'll use the points on BD-1 when payday hits. 

Just picked up the Razor Crest today, too. It was on display at my local LEGO store and it is gargantuan. I always under-estimate the size of these models. Double VIP was nice!

Same here honestly. It was a pretty enjoyable build experience, and I really like the figures that came with it.

I'm actually in the middle of reviewing Obi-Wan's set for EB. So you'll see my thoughts in a few weeks. But I totally think it needs modifications! The cockpit is lazy. The landing gear isn't accurate. There are gaps. And way too many stickers!

I'm not that interested in a high level of accuracy in Star Wars lego sets, but I certainly agree on the stickers. I mean, 13 stickers for a 35 euro set? That's insane.