Lego Mike

Which Lego YouTube channels are best these days?

On 11/21/2021 at 10:26 AM, LegoDW said:

My current favorite channels are Robin Hood Bricks and Alex Nunes.  Robin Hood  Bricks has put together a well done city with quality moc's.  I do skip out on this Wednesday videos as they are haul videos (no interest in the subject).  Alex just seam like a genuine quality guy and the channel is not focused on making revenue.  Feel more excited about the hobby after watching these guys video's, isn't that really what its all about?

Agree with other about Jangbricks.  Jang says his passion is for moc's but spends 99.9% of the time reviewing current sets and a lot of them he does not like.  Seams like he has lost his passion for the hobby, maybe time to try something else?  I am not following him on any other platform then Youtube.

I used to follow Bricksie but seams like he is tearing his city apart every other week.  Should put that energy into making moc's or something unique for his channel.  

Lot of the other Channels out there are on the negative side.  Too much negativity in my day to day life.  Looking for more positive channel to follow...this is supposed to be a fun hobby after all.

Bricksie changes his city way to much IMO, but it’s his, so more power to him. 

I found captain xaviors channel to be interesting and amusing. I too have a channel but have not posted in a while.

I also follow bricksie here an there from time to time. The plastic achitect is pretty chill too.

I used to really like Jang and his videos were so chill, just him talking about sets. His voice was calming.

Then he seemed to go through some crisis and didn't make videos for a while. Then when he came back it was different. All about getting his face into every video and making himself a brand.

He doesn't seem as happy as he used to be.

The crisis was that COPPA came into force, which basically requires that he shows his face all the time and talks for more time because if it's just a video about the toys without him in the picture, it's automatically flagged as a video "for kids" and demonetized with comments locked. He wouldn't get any money from videos if that happened. The Patreon personal branding is a secondary income stream in response to COPPA that provides a cushion in case YouTube flags a video in its infinite wisdom and won't negotiate.

I find all the videos to be super annoying with Jang being best because his reviews make sense. He isn't as chill because he lost a bunch of income because YouTube sucks. It's why he does Twitch and such now.

I could tell you which channels I hate the most more than which ones I like the most. :laugh:

Edited by Maple

7 hours ago, icm said:

The crisis was that COPPA came into force, which basically requires that he shows his face all the time and talks for more time because if it's just a video about the toys without him in the picture, it's automatically flagged as a video "for kids" and demonetized with comments locked. He wouldn't get any money from videos if that happened. The Patreon personal branding is a secondary income stream in response to COPPA that provides a cushion in case YouTube flags a video in its infinite wisdom and won't negotiate.

That totally makes sense and I remember him talking about some of that stuff. I have no problem blaming COPPA/Youtube. Bummer for Jang.

10 hours ago, icm said:

This is exactly why i stopped posting to youtube.

Sam's Brick Lab and Dr Scorpion X are good ones.

Sam does set reviews and customs (Most notably Ninjago and Marvel)

Dr Scorpion X does Bioformer mocs and stopmotion.

8 hours ago, Takanuinuva said:

Dr Scorpion X does Bioformer mocs and stopmotion.

I have no idea what's the matter with that guy. He used to be one of the biggest stars of "Biotube" (Bionicle on Youtube) with videos that were unbelievably popular by Bionicle and even LEGO in general standards (his most popular video got a whomping 4 million views) until he suddenly stopped completely around 2016 after Bionicle G2 got cancelled. He stayed completely silent until last year, when he unexpectedly returned with three new videos, only to quit once again after that. 

I get that people's lives are busy, but being inactive for four years despite having a very loyal audience and quitting again just a few moments after your glorious return seems incredibly bizarre to me. 

As an alternative, I would suggest watching Ben Cossy instead. He is currently one of the last Biotubers who remains active, still regularly hosting a show called "The Bionicle Inspiration Series" where he features MOC from the community and talks about them individually. He also does a lot of Tutorial videos, so he is pretty much the perfect guy to watch if you are interested in Bionicle MOCing. 

Edited by Lego David

I don't care too much for reviewers, I can go read about a new set most anywhere. I'm more about watching people build out either MOCs or mods to official sets.

In that vein I will second Robin Hood Bricks as mentioned already, and add two more that are of similar style -

• Lion Bricks - chill music and city building (no modulars, just his own designs).
  • Teal Bricks in Paradisa - his tropical city is set in 2060, and all that the future entails, so all his mods have this interweaved story of what future-tech might be common by then. It's cool to watch him nerd out about the latest electric car innovation and incorporate it into his burgeoning city.

Slightly off-topic to what OP was saying but also slightly relevant to most of what the discussion was heading - Currently the only Lego-centric channel that I would enthusiastically keep up would be legoanimations6370. It mostly consist of disaster-themed stop-motion videos with good dose of dark humor which I absolutely enjoyed.10/10 would totally recommend his channel to anyone who enjoys this kind of humor or Lego stop-motions in general.

Edited by JJ Tong (zfogshooterz)

Nick From Planet Ripple has consistently good takes. He produced a series called Lego Rewind where he discusses a bunch of old themes, but having run out of those he's started to talk about modern themes. His big recap of the Bionicle series is pretty impressive.

I’d say that Just2good is a great channel.

On 11/29/2021 at 12:12 PM, danth said:

I used to really like Jang and his videos were so chill, just him talking about sets. His voice was calming.

Then he seemed to go through some crisis and didn't make videos for a while. Then when he came back it was different. All about getting his face into every video and making himself a brand.

He doesn't seem as happy as he used to be.

Yeah same. Honestly it is very sad how one of the most well regarded Lego reviewers got his hobby ruined by YouTube.

On 8/31/2021 at 9:18 AM, Lego Mike said:

There are far more Lego-centric YouTube channels these days than ever before. But that said, I don't really want to spend a ton of free time keeping up with so many new videos. I just want some up-to-date news and insightful reviews, and that's about it.

So which do you recommend?

I had been watching Jang and just2good for many years, but they just don't appeal to me anymore. I can see why tons of people like them. But Jang's all about the Patreon/Twitch streaming thing and "Let me tell you what I think about these photos I just saw," his review videos are repetitive (after watching him for five or six years), and, well... He seems to nag and be annoyed with his viewers most of the time. I dunno. Rarely a video passes without him making some back-handed remark about what he imagines viewers might be thinking or saying in the comments. It's weird 'cause he used to seem so affable.

And just2good doesn't seem to be putting the work and planning into videos like he used to. I like his enthusiasm for Lego, and he seems super-positive, but the videos aren't really interesting.

(Again, I'm just saying why I'm looking for new channels. If they still make your socks roll up and down, cool.)

Are there any notably engaging, insightful, innovative YouTube channels I should check out? TIA!

Yea i used to really enjoy Jang's stuff, especially his city updates, but his stuff is just kind of meh lately. I can't remember the last time he regularly did videos about updating his city or really doing haul videos from Bricklink. And at times he's just entirely to picky about the little things in the sets while not mentioning bigger issues.

And Just2Good is a bit better but i don't really watch him that much.

I can't really help you on the engaging reviews part since the only lego channels i regularly watch are Robin Hood Bricks, who does almost nothing but mocs, and EllieV who does mostly timelapse builds of lego friends and other lego girl sets and rarely other stuff. 

Agree with you, like JANG's older videos better.  That said, the AFOL community must like his new stuff better as he is still making a living at it.  Aware he does a have a dedicated channel for MOC's and his city layout but rarely does he provide updates.  Again, as this is his means for a making a living the community as a whole must not be that interested in these.

Something I’ve noticed more and more is that a lot of the content creators are focusing more on live streams and only answer questions if you “donate” to their channel. 

I get that they are making money off this stuff, but it’s still lame that it’s the direction they’ve taken. I also don’t have have 2 hours to sit through the stream when a 3-5 min would suffice. 

These are the LEGO related channels I watch and recommend:

brickengineeringdude (Speed Champions MOCs)

Bricks, Blocks and MOCs (Speed Champions MOCs)

AFOL TV (City MOC)

Racing Brick (Car-related LEGO reviews, tests and mods) personal favourite ;-)

Sariel's Bricks and Pets (Technic and big-scale (mostly military) MOCs, Reviews)

Bricksie (City MOC, Reviews, basically everything about and around LEGO but as allready said tearing his city down every wheek)

Beyond the Brick (Reviews Convention MOC reviews, basically everything about and around LEGO)

Lion Bricks (high quality, highly detailed LEGO city MOC)

Mr Bookieboo (City MOC with lights)

Brickvault (MOC compilations every wheek, great to get inspiration)

Brick Experiment Channel (Unconventional but cool experiments with LEGO)

Alex Nunes (huge LEGO City MOC, Reviews and more)

hachiroku 24 (amazing MOCs with free instructions but not really a "watching" channel)

JK Brickworks (mechanismn MOCs)

official LEGO Youtube Channel (to get right to know when a new set comes out)

2 hours ago, The Jersey Brick Guy said:

Something I’ve noticed more and more is that a lot of the content creators are focusing more on live streams and only answer questions if you “donate” to their channel. 

I get that they are making money off this stuff, but it’s still lame that it’s the direction they’ve taken. I also don’t have have 2 hours to sit through the stream when a 3-5 min would suffice. 

Thats why I don't watch streams

Edited by brickhead_07

I don’t particularly enjoy the review-oriented channels, but I enjoy the creative City content.

Robin Hood Bricks is the best one. Uses pieces from all themes in unexpected and amusing ways.

Bricksie is very enthusiastic about Lego, and to my ears is a bit more toned down than his US equivalents :laugh:

Lion Bricks is a UK City builder but doesn’t post new content frequently. But the videos are really well put together.

Finally I like bricktsar, or jaabo. Never a minute away from stepping on a rake or knocking something over, but seems like a genuine person who loves Lego.

On 9/2/2021 at 6:28 AM, NickLafreniere said:

Another decent Technic channel is Unbrickme. The guy does really nice reveiws of Technic and he films some nice outdoor footage.

Thank you for the kind words!

I'm subscribed to most of the ones mentioned. 

Been trying to figure out how to block Tannerfishies pointless viewgrabbing vids from coming up in my suggestions though. Talk about misleading clickbait titles :hmpf_bad:

On 12/7/2022 at 10:09 AM, Killian said:

I'm subscribed to most of the ones mentioned. 

Been trying to figure out how to block Tannerfishies pointless viewgrabbing vids from coming up in my suggestions though. Talk about misleading clickbait titles :hmpf_bad:

Go to one of their thumbnails in the side bar. 
Click the 3 dots. 
Click Don't Recommend Channel.

Worked wonders for me and video game spoiler channels.

I used to support and watch Bricksie but not anymore due to similar sentiments from above. I really thought he was a great up-and-coming LEGO Youtuber but now the content is all the same. Seems like he is out of ideas or just milking his viewers. Also not a fan of the Tik Tok LEGO creators or most of the people in LAN at the moment.

I really have been enjoying Cheesey Studios (I believe that's the name). He has great mocs and reviews of new and nostalgic sets. And of course for news: Brick Clicker.

Alex Nunes always has chill and entertaining content, really happy to see he is apart of LAN after all these years and other creators (with not so great content) getting in before him. 

And no I won't say my own but you are more than welcome to check it out :)