Sign in to follow this  
Ivorrr

[TC20] 8858 - Rebel Wrecker

I've realized this contest is the perfect opportunity for a nostalgia trip - I will attempt to re-build the one and only - 8858 Rebel Wrecker - my childhood dream which I was only able to realize after many years and dark ages.

800x577.jpg

Just started - not sure where this will go but it's fun!

1280x604.jpg

Looking forward to this one, which in my opinion was one of the best looking studded sets.

It's also amazing how much 'truck' you got for only 461 pieces, compared to say the Lego Jeep of today.

I bought it as a teen when it came out and found all the pieces in my parent's attic 2 years ago. I rebuilt it and have it proudly on display! I'm interested to see how this'll turn out! :)

I was thinking about this one as well, but I decided to go with something smaller that I actually had. But yeah, the nostalgia on those sets that we couldn't have kicks in really hard :)

1 hour ago, Jundis said:

This was also on my bucket list as a child but never got it...

Same here :) So curious about this one.

@Ivorrr, have you thought about converting the rear suspension to a proper live axle instead of a trailing arm? Seems like you already have the crucial piece in place..

1 hour ago, Jundis said:

The small red fenders could be an option?

I had these in mind but don't own them sadly. I will have to think of something else like panels or liftarms. The original is quite "crude" so it gives a bit of wiggle room.

20 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

@Ivorrr, have you thought about converting the rear suspension to a proper live axle instead of a trailing arm? Seems like you already have the crucial piece in place..

I have actually yes! As the first go I'm trying to recreate the mechanisms as they were with just conversion to studless. I will see how long it will take me to finish this version and I'll work on a few upgrades:

- live rear axle,

- custom engine,

- front steering (it's really not nice in the original) but space is the issue as it's quite narrow and haven't had much thought what to replace the old rack (https://rebrickable.com/parts/6574/technic-gear-rack-1-x-2-with-ball-joints/7/) with. Maybe something simple like in the Rubicon 

I have made progress with the front axle, steering and suspension but forgot to take a picture - will upload tomorrow.

Nice choice of set and a good start. Live rear axle seems like a natural improvement. The real star of this set is IMO the front suspension with the anti-sway bar, and I hope to see similar in your build :classic: Good luck, I'm curious to see how this develop :thumbup:

15 hours ago, kolbjha said:

Nice choice of set and a good start. Live rear axle seems like a natural improvement. The real star of this set is IMO the front suspension with the anti-sway bar, and I hope to see similar in your build :classic: Good luck, I'm curious to see how this develop :thumbup:

As I recall the "anti" sway bar worked more like a "pro" sway bar :laugh:

This was my favorite set as a child, so while looking for a TC20 set to rebuild, I had to leave this one alone; the original is to important to me.

I look forward to see what you can do with the rebuild.

More progress:

- Front axle

- Steering: had to rebuild the rear axle connection to fit the steering linkage to HOG. Will need to try bracing the gears better later on

- Fake ngine

- Rear fender updated

- Starting to play around the shape of the outside: It's quite difficult to stay in the scale studless as ridigity becomes an issue without the studfull way to connect beams with plates

1280x604.jpg

1280x604.jpg

1280x604.jpg

On 6/21/2021 at 4:54 PM, Ivorrr said:

I have actually yes! As the first go I'm trying to recreate the mechanisms as they were with just conversion to studless. I will see how long it will take me to finish this version and I'll work on a few upgrades:

- live rear axle

- custom engine

- front steering

Regarding the rear Live Axle, I had a go at this earlier in the year as part of an RC MOD project & this was a "must have". I posted (free) instructions if you would like to take a look. I imagine adapting it to the odd studless convention would be a bit easier.

8858%20MOD%20Build%2001%20R1.jpg

On 7/21/2021 at 6:47 PM, P McCatty said:

Regarding the rear Live Axle, I had a go at this earlier in the year as part of an RC MOD project & this was a "must have". I posted (free) instructions if you would like to take a look. I imagine adapting it to the odd studless convention would be a bit easier.

This looks beefy! (but cool) :D I like it! Will have a look definitely

After some break, I have started working again on this baby

Playing around the front (especially difficult to get the shape of 3x3 2450 wedge plate)

I know the it is not perfect but if I dont figure out something better, it will need to stay like this.

800x378.jpg

800x378.jpg

800x378.jpg

800x378.jpg

800x378.jpg

800x378.jpg

Geeting closer to the finish...

- Front modified

- rear wheel arches

- and finally wheels on! 

Things to do:

- HOG. Not sure yet whether to use the original beemer light or this will be considered studfull

- seats... I have just realized looking at the online instructions that I have something missing in my original second hand bought 8858... I dont have the blue seats!!!

800x378.jpg

800x378.jpg

800x378.jpg

800x378.jpg

15 minutes ago, Ivorrr said:

Things to do:

- HOG. Not sure yet whether to use the original beemer light or this will be considered studfull

You can use an upside down Trans-Orange/Yellow Brick, Round 2 x 2 with Axle Hole with Plate, Round 2 x 2 with Rounded Bottom like on the 6x6 Volvo Articulated Hauler  :sweet:

This is looking great. I think you need to use the beacon light. It's a good way to harken back to the original. I agree with @Void_S, and would replace the wheels with some modern balloon wheels. Have any in white?

10 hours ago, GerritvdG said:

You can use an upside down Trans-Orange/Yellow Brick, Round 2 x 2 with Axle Hole with Plate, Round 2 x 2 with Rounded Bottom like on the 6x6 Volvo Articulated Hauler  :sweet:

At first I was hesitating with using these type of pieces due to the theme of the contest but I have now tried putting that exact one (same was in the Arocs) and it does look well! 

8 hours ago, Void_S said:

Well, I still would prefer some modern balloon wheels :wink:

3 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

I agree with @Void_S, and would replace the wheels with some modern balloon wheels. Have any in white?

I actually fell in love in the original balloons with the 90s "monster truck" vibe but I will try other ones. I don't have many rims in white - maybe 32020 from barcode truck will fit any off-road tires somehow.

Thanks for the good words guys!

Looking good, but the question is about whether wheels, those half width oval liftarms/crane blocks and some suspension elements are contemporary as the theme of the contest suggests?

So I dont know which wheel version to decide on and need your help.

Vote which of the 4 options is the best!

1) Original (balloon tire and original rim)

2) 68.7 x 34R tire + original rim flipped

3) balloon tire + 32020 rim https://rebrickable.com/parts/32020/wheel-432-x-18-with-extended-axle-stem/ 

4) 68.7 x 34R tire + 32020 rim (these dont fit well and need to centre its position for the picture)

800x378.jpg

800x378.jpg

14 hours ago, SaperPL said:

Looking good, but the question is about whether wheels, those half width oval liftarms/crane blocks and some suspension elements are contemporary as the theme of the contest suggests?

Well, these are studless elements even though used in the original model. There is no studfull parts used apart from the engine blocks in the MOC.

I see your point but that was simply my approach to the build (and hopefully in line with the rules of the contest)

The 6575 part (Technic cam) is very much a contemporary part, it was for example included in 42114 and 42125.