MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I have to disagree with the consensus here, 2020 was one of the worst years for LEGO Star Wars in recent memory. To start with the number of sets overall was quite low, not much choice anymore. I’ll preface the rest of this by saying that this has nothing to do with the amount of rereleases, of which there were many, as I think rereleases are necessary for the theme to stay relevant. This isn’t to say there wasn’t good last year, I just think the bad overshadows the good. The introduction of the helmet line was nice and both the AT-AT and Razor Crest are great sets... but they’re far too expensive to be accessible to most customers. IMO the best set of the year was 75265, and that speaks volumes for the rest of the releases.

People are quick to point out that the collectors got a lot of what we wanted last year, a lot of sets that we as a community have asked for for years, but I say it was half baked. We finally got that UCS A-Wing, and while I loved building it it is very inaccurate for a UCS set. Obi-Wan’s hut was $45 for a tiny beige box with no substance outside of the Leia hologram and I still question the necessity of a $530 cantina when the $100 set from 2014 would’ve been enough had they not blown a decent portion of the part count on Luke’s Landspeeder (of which we got yet another one of in 2020, only this time with Poncho Luke to try and drive sales to our niche of the market). It kinda feels like LEGO gave the collectors a big middle finger last year with arguably the two most requested sets of all time. Of course there was the 501st “battle pack”, annoying origins of the set aside it was clearly designed to take advantage of collectors (and it worked), they could’ve at least given us 2 more clones instead of the droids, or given us the green droids from the AAT, or even just more droids... come on lego we know those battle droids cost next to nothing to produce or otherwise they wouldn’t show up in sets 20 at a time. It’s really disheartening to see sets like 71708 at the same price point with 10 minifigures. Had the BARC and ATRT actually been to scale with the figures there would’ve been enough plastic for that many clones, and since they’d be producing that many of the same figure it would be cheaper for them. But the real kick in the crotch was the Bespin Duel, a set that’s been at the top of a lot of people’s wishlist since 1999. We finally got that set and it was a goddamn convention exclusive, and thus inaccessible to almost everyone. And when the convention was cancelled it became a region exclusive, back-pedalling on a promise LEGO made months prior. The Nebulon B is in the same boat as Bespin duel, but to a lesser extent as I think most collectors would rather a larger model of the ship.

Of course there were all the ludicrously overpriced sets like the Sith TIE, Grievous fighter, AAT and Knights of Ren ship, but there’s still more sets that need to be called out. D-0 was the biggest missed opportunity of the year, had he been to scale with R2 and BB-8 it would’ve been a slam dunk. Now he just rots on the clearance shelf. The resistance transport is an absolute joke since the source material is a theme park that is inaccessible for the overwhelming majority of the population. And finally we have the 4+ snowspeeder. I have nothing against the 4+ banner, this is another one of those things I see as a necessity, I just think the snowspeeder was a truly terrible representation (much like the 4+ X-Wings). The whole idea of building the model around a massive brand new mould instead of a simple build with existing pieces is detrimental to the theme as a whole since we know they have a budget for new parts. If they weren’t wasting the money on moulding half a snowspeeder in one piece maybe we could finally get printed parts in the D2C sets, or maybe we could get R2D2’s third leg, or maybe they could fix the goddamn printing machines and give us R2 figures with straight lines. 

Want to talk about the golden age of LEGO Star Wars? 2008-2013, before the Disney buyout when the Clone Wars was running and we got brilliant sets that didn’t have inflated piece counts or prices. We got a lot of awesome minifigs in cheap sets (as opposed to the best figures being almost exclusively in $100+ sets these days) and an incredible selection of sets spanning both Star Wars eras. Shoutout to 2016 as well. I would say 2016 was the last “great” year, it’s all been downhill from there.

 

Edited by Brikkyy13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MAVERICK26 said:

What would the golden ages be?

Basically the era just before Disney bought Lucasfilm. That Disney logo on the packaging quickly added $10 to each set.

The sets were good and we got new minifigures (Porkins, Jabba's Palace guests, Queen Amidala).

The trouble with new films and the merchandise that goes with them is that the film-makers have greater control over what gets made (partly to avoid spoilers). TFA had a lot of vehicles that didn't make the cut that appeared in the first wave.

What is interesting with Disney is that they tend to release a film, the merchandise with it and then discard the film and never really revisit it again. For SW the OT is king, we see some new stuff relating to the PT, but ST (or spin-offs) will be rare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, ood0 said:

Brick vault edited the shuttle to be dark grey and it honestly looks a lot better.  Should be an easy mod, plus you get a bunch of sand blue bricks out of changing it over.

Unless the cockpit is printed and not a sticker... Honestly I'd have to say it would have been better as all parts in either color, not a mix. If the parts exist in sand blue, I might change it over to that.

 

Regarding the best waves discussion:

I think the whole 2007-2016 time period was great for LSW. If I had to pick a specific year, 2016's rogue one sets were amazing and the earlier waves that year weren't half bad either. Likewise, 2008 was another banner year for the franchise. I think 2020 and early 2021 have given a lot of hope for the return of the "golden age". We got a good mix of all the eras, some amazing designs like the Razor Crest, and so many fan requests were/are being met. (501st battle pack, cheaper x-wing and tie fighter, UCS gunship, more prequel sets, etc). 

14 minutes ago, TheMainBricker said:

Basically the era just before Disney bought Lucasfilm. That Disney logo on the packaging quickly added $10 to each set.

The sets were good and we got new minifigures (Porkins, Jabba's Palace guests, Queen Amidala).

The trouble with new films and the merchandise that goes with them is that the film-makers have greater control over what gets made (partly to avoid spoilers). TFA had a lot of vehicles that didn't make the cut that appeared in the first wave.

What is interesting with Disney is that they tend to release a film, the merchandise with it and then discard the film and never really revisit it again. For SW the OT is king, we see some new stuff relating to the PT, but ST (or spin-offs) will be rare.

It's not like lucasfilm didn't take merchandising fees. What happened around this time was that sets started using larger numbers of smaller pieces instead of smaller numbers of large plates, which changed the price. 

Second, literally all vehicles in the first TFA wave appeared in the film. The first order snowspeeder was only seen in the background, or you might be referring to inaccuracies in the shuttle design, but "a lot of vehicles that didn't make the cut" is a massive exaggeration.

As for never revisiting films, that's more so due to just the amount of content coming out, and it's still not really true. (TFA in particular has been getting sets years past it's release) The problem is, when a new film was releasing every year, and now there'll be multiple shows a year, it's tough to make sets for everything, so lego chooses to make sets based off the most famous (and best selling) vehicles and locations from the older films rather than immediately revisist a film that just released. There were large gaps after the prequels released between their sets, too. It's easy to just attribute everything people don't like to disney, and while you can believe me that I hate that corporation (for reasons that don't belong in a LSW forum), they aren't responsible for every bad thing to ever happen to star wars.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

I have to disagree with the consensus here, 2020 was one of the worst years for LEGO Star Wars in recent memory. To start with the number of sets overall was quite low, not much choice anymore.

I disagree with almost everything you've said, but this is the only point that I want to push back against in detail. 2020 had 27 'normal' sets (ie, not counting polybags or the limited-release things like the Nebulon-B). That's as many or more than any year in the 'golden age' people have been talking about except 2014 (29), which had two more microfighters (and if you count the polybags and exclusives 2020 would be in the lead again). Yes, 2020 had fewer sets than the couple of years before it, but they were the exceptions; 2015-2019 had more sets per year than any other period in the history of LEGO Star Wars, and 2020 was a return to the numbers we had in the period everybody's saying they loved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

As for never revisiting films, that's more so due to just the amount of content coming out, and it's still not really true. (TFA in particular has been getting sets years past it's release) The problem is, when a new film was releasing every year, and now there'll be multiple shows a year, it's tough to make sets for everything, so lego chooses to make sets based off the most famous (and best selling) vehicles and locations from the older films rather than immediately revisist a film that just released. There were large gaps after the prequels released between their sets, too. It's easy to just attribute everything people don't like to disney, and while you can believe me that I hate that corporation (for reasons that don't belong in a LSW forum), they aren't responsible for every bad thing to ever happen to star wars.

Was going to say this.  That same exact thing happened for the prequels.  If I remember right, TPM stuff came out in 1999/2000, then we didn't get anything else from that movie until like three or four sets in 2007 (N-1 Starfighter, Sith Infiltrator, Jedi Cruiser, and I think that was it?).  AOTC stuff was only 2002, if I remember right, and I don't think we got anything from there put out again until the major AOTC wave in 2013, though that is a bit different because sets like Dooku's ship, the AT-TE, and Gunship all were put out as Clone Wars sets, and are more or less the same thing with different figures.  Heck, we're still waiting on a remake of the Coruscant Chase and Jango's Slave I, it's been almost 20 years.  ROTS is the only one where it seems like they actually kept making sets post 2006, since we got a couple of battle packs + Grievous' fighter in 2007, and then started getting remakes and stuff around 2010/11.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

Was going to say this.  That same exact thing happened for the prequels.  If I remember right, TPM stuff came out in 1999/2000, then we didn't get anything else from that movie until like three or four sets in 2007 (N-1 Starfighter, Sith Infiltrator, Jedi Cruiser, and I think that was it?).  AOTC stuff was only 2002, if I remember right, and I don't think we got anything from there put out again until the major AOTC wave in 2013, though that is a bit different because sets like Dooku's ship, the AT-TE, and Gunship all were put out as Clone Wars sets, and are more or less the same thing with different figures.  Heck, we're still waiting on a remake of the Coruscant Chase and Jango's Slave I, it's been almost 20 years.  ROTS is the only one where it seems like they actually kept making sets post 2006, since we got a couple of battle packs + Grievous' fighter in 2007, and then started getting remakes and stuff around 2010/11.  

The cutoffs weren't quite that hard. TPM had Watto's Junkyard and the Battle Droid Carrier in 2001, and the Jedi Defense sets in 2002; and AotC had the AT-TE and Geonosian Fighter in 2003. If anything, RotS was maybe the sharpest cutoff, since the V-wing was the only new set from that movie released in 2006 (along with the Turbo Tank re-release), although then Grievous's Fighter and the original Clone Battle Pack (the Droids Battle Pack isn't really based on any movie) in 2007 sort of blend it into the TCW sets that started in 2008.

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Second, literally all vehicles in the first TFA wave appeared in the film. The first order snowspeeder was only seen in the background, or you might be referring to inaccuracies in the shuttle design, but "a lot of vehicles that didn't make the cut" is a massive exaggeration.

The major one there was the First Order Scout Walker, which didn't make the film at all. But I agree with you that this isn't really a valid criticism of LEGO; they have to design the vehicles they're shown, and they don't have any control over whether those get cut at the last minute. It's not like that's purely a Disney thing, either--remember the 442nd Siege Battalion troopers included in 7260 Wookiee Catamaran that didn't make the final cut of RotS. That kind of thing is an unavoidable side effect of toy production needing more spin-up time than they get between the final cut of a movie and its release; we're just seeing more of it now that there are more sets releasing to coordinate with film launches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2020 was one of the worst years,ton of great ideas done incredibly poor,from sith trooper battle pack with 1 sith trooper to disgustingly overpriced grievous fighter. Not to mention promos that were only made for USA,but 2021 isnt looking any better,we are almost in may with 0 battlepacks,only sequel set is a 4+ xwing and there is no prequel sets. All the sets are from ot and most of them are bad smaller versions of the sets we got multiple times. Only decent set is trouble on tatooine and some people dont like that either cause of them not including Cobb Vanth. (i personally dont care about Cobb).

This is probably unpopular opinion,but i hate how LEGO is doing these "art" sets,helmets and brickbuilt figures when you can just buy accurate helmet from hasbro for barely 30$ more or buy and frame a great artistic poster for 1/6 of the price of "art" set. IMO afols fell in love with LEGO cause of playsets,figures and vehicle builds and i would rather have summer wave of 3 vehicles/playsets sets,1 from each trilogy than the "sets" we got now. 

1 hour ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

 2020 had 27 'normal' sets (ie, not counting polybags or the limited-release things like the Nebulon-B). That's as many or more than any year in the 'golden age' people have been talking about except 2014 (29)

Your numbers are calculated if you count in 4+set,helmets,brickbuilt figures,may4th promo etc which are years behind actual sets we had in 2014.
In reality 2020 had 2 battlepacks,1 x 4+ set,3 microfighters,2 brickbuilt figures,calendar,2 ucs sets,3 helmets and only 14 normal sets.
While 2014 had 6 micro fighters,3 battlepacks,19 normal sets,1 ucs set and 1 calendar. + Revan promo.
Idk about you,but i would rather have the ghost than darth vader helmet on the shelf,30$ snowspeeder instead of 4+ snowspeeder or 70$ cantina instead of brickbuilt grogu and especially kashyyk and utapau trooper battlepacks for 13$ each than that overpriced innacurate 501st set for 30$ or even Darth Revan may the 4th promo vs that laughable death star 2 battle. Its not only 2014,if you go 2015 we had 4 battlepacks,22 normal sets ,6 buildable figures,2 amazing ucs sets and 6 microfighters. 2015 slave 1 vs 2020 a wing for same price,come on now you cant even compare them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think that the best few waves would probably be between 2010–2017, maybe one or two good sets through early 18. We got the great AOTC wave, the great ROTJ wave, everything good from TFA, R1, and TLJ, and a good mix of other things. I think 2018-20 had maybe like 7 really solid system sets. In fact, I’m with @Brikkyy13 here, 2020 was vastly overrated—Razor Crest and AT AT, maybe that transport, were the only really solid sets that worked with both the idea and execution, but 2 out of the 3 were vastly overpriced. 2021 looks to be much better.

Edited by Brickroll

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

The cutoffs weren't quite that hard. TPM had Watto's Junkyard and the Battle Droid Carrier in 2001, and the Jedi Defense sets in 2002; and AotC had the AT-TE and Geonosian Fighter in 2003. If anything, RotS was maybe the sharpest cutoff, since the V-wing was the only new set from that movie released in 2006 (along with the Turbo Tank re-release), although then Grievous's Fighter and the original Clone Battle Pack (the Droids Battle Pack isn't really based on any movie) in 2007 sort of blend it into the TCW sets that started in 2008.

Even then, the disney era films each had a few sets a couple months after the release, then the sharp cutoff.

38 minutes ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

The major one there was the First Order Scout Walker, which didn't make the film at all. But I agree with you that this isn't really a valid criticism of LEGO; they have to design the vehicles they're shown, and they don't have any control over whether those get cut at the last minute. It's not like that's purely a Disney thing, either--remember the 442nd Siege Battalion troopers included in 7260 Wookiee Catamaran that didn't make the final cut of RotS. That kind of thing is an unavoidable side effect of toy production needing more spin-up time than they get between the final cut of a movie and its release; we're just seeing more of it now that there are more sets releasing to coordinate with film launches.

That one's from TLJ, and he was talking about TFA, but you're right, that's probably one of the worst they've had. I also agree it's not lego's fault or disney's fault; it's just how movie production works. (although off the top of my head the only other example i remember is ant-man's helmet, which is another disney property, but the wider point stands.)

9 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

2020 was one of the worst years,ton of great ideas done incredibly poor,from sith trooper battle pack with 1 sith trooper to disgustingly overpriced grievous fighter. Not to mention promos that were only made for USA,but 2021 isnt looking any better,we are almost in may with 0 battlepacks,only sequel set is a 4+ xwing and there is no prequel sets. All the sets are from ot and most of them are bad smaller versions of the sets we got multiple times. Only decent set is trouble on tatooine and some people dont like that either cause of them not including Cobb Vanth. (i personally dont care about Cobb).

 

The only-usa promos were SDCC sets that weren't going to be released outside of SDCC in a normal year. 2020 is actually BETTER than most years in the regard that instead of a single building, it was at least available for a whole country. In addition, while there were missteps like the overpricing of the grievous set, there were also amazing sets like the RC, 501st battlepack, AAT, etc. No idea what you mean by no prequel sets this year, I know off the top of my head that at least 4 prequel era sets are releasing this year. I'd argue the new cheaper starfighters are good because fans were complaining they had gotten to expensive, and they were easier for children to afford because the sets are made for children, just like they were in 2014. We also got long-awaited figures like Dodanna and Beskar Mando, with more releasing later like Bo-katan, Saxon, Fennec, Gideon, Mandalore Maul, the list goes on. 

9 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

Your numbers are calculated if you count in 4+set,helmets,brickbuilt figures,may4th promo etc which are years behind actual sets we had in 2014. In reality 2020 had 2 battlepacks,1 x 4+ set,3 microfighters,2 brickbuilt figures,calendar,2 ucs sets,3 helmets and only 14 normal sets. While 2014 had 6 micro fighters,3 battlepacks,19 normal sets,1 ucs set and 1 calendar. + Revan promo. Idk about you,but i would rather have the ghost than darth vader helmet on the shelf,30$ snowspeeder instead of 4+ snowspeeder or 70$ cantina instead of brickbuilt grogu and especially kashyyk and utapau trooper battlepacks for 13$ each than that overpriced innacurate 501st set for 30$ or even Darth Revan may the 4th promo vs that laughable death star 2 battle. Its not only 2014,if you go 2015 we had 4 battlepacks,22 normal sets ,6 buildable figures,2 amazing ucs sets and 6 microfighters. 2015 slave 1 vs 2020 a wing for same price,come on now you cant even compare them. 

I mean, he said only normal sets, so I assume he didn't count promos. And I seem to remember the 501st battlepack being very well-liked by fans, including you when it first was announced.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy smokes Batman I left for three hours and the thread is looking like a damn Mexican standoff. I honestly think 2020 was a great wave. I’m a bit biased because that’s the year I got back into it, but Razor Crest, 501st, THE BEST NON MOTORIZED AT AT OF ALL TIME, come on man. This wave was pretty dang good. As was the 2019 wave tbh Kylo’s shuttle and the 20th Ann. Slave One are absolutely gorgeous. Idk my opinion doesn’t mean much because I had my dark ages during what y’all are calling the golden ages so just my two credits 🤷‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Shoutout to 2016 as well. I would say 2016 was the last “great” year, it’s all been downhill from there.

 

2016?! What a terrible year for Star Wars. Saved by Rogue One. 

Edited by ArrowBricks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PreVizsla said:

Your numbers are calculated if you count in 4+set,helmets,brickbuilt figures,may4th promo etc which are years behind actual sets we had in 2014.

In reality 2020 had 2 battlepacks,1 x 4+ set,3 microfighters,2 brickbuilt figures,calendar,2 ucs sets,3 helmets and only 14 normal sets.
While 2014 had 6 micro fighters,3 battlepacks,19 normal sets,1 ucs set and 1 calendar. + Revan promo.
Idk about you,but i would rather have the ghost than darth vader helmet on the shelf,30$ snowspeeder instead of 4+ snowspeeder or 70$ cantina instead of brickbuilt grogu and especially kashyyk and utapau trooper battlepacks for 13$ each than that overpriced innacurate 501st set for 30$ or even Darth Revan may the 4th promo vs that laughable death star 2 battle. Its not only 2014,if you go 2015 we had 4 battlepacks,22 normal sets ,6 buildable figures,2 amazing ucs sets and 6 microfighters. 2015 slave 1 vs 2020 a wing for same price,come on now you cant even compare them. 

I mean, sure, if you cherrypick which sets to count you can declare that any year had more than any other year. I don't know why you'd compare the 501st set to 2014's battlepacks when 2014 also had Battle on Saleucami, which is almost exactly the same set (5 minifigs, a BARC speeder, and misc other builds for $30) except with far less desirable figures. If you want to compare battlepacks, the Mandalorian one is definitely better than Kashyyyk Troopers (you talk about inaccuracy when half of those troopers aren't even canon?) and was certainly more widely anticipated than Utapau Troopers. Similarly, why would you compare the Ghost to Vader's helmet when 2020 also had the Razor Crest? And while the 2014 snowspeeder is 'better' in some sense than the 2020 one, I already have seven almost identical system-scale snowspeeders, and it's far better for LEGO Star Wars as a brand to branch out into new markets than to keep beating that same horse--snowspeeders are tied with Luke's landspeeder as the most comically over-made vehicles around.

I would tend to put the best years for LSW earlier than most--probably starting with the introduction of battlepacks in 2007 and continuing through the early TCW stuff in 2012 or so. But 2020 was certainly fine, even if you don't think it was the best year ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

2008-2013

I'd extend that to 2014, maybe even 2016. I wouldn't say 2020 was bad, but I agree it wasn't that great. I think it could be described as a mix of great and poor sets with worse pricing, which equalled out into a mediocre wave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stuartn said:

I'd extend that to 2014, maybe even 2016. I wouldn't say 2020 was bad, but I agree it wasn't that great. I think it could be described as a mix of great and poor sets with worse pricing, which equalled out into a mediocre wave.

2008-2014 for me. TFA and TLJ waves were good too imo shame that they were sandwiched in rubbish years. 

2020 is decent, but way too many floors in a number of sets. Helmets, UCS, 501st Battle Pack the saviours. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

2016?! What a terrible year for Star Wars. Saved by Rogue One. 

I’ll half concede here for the fact that I just looked on Brickset and a lot of the sets I would’ve pointed to to prove my point were released in 2017, so maybe it wasn’t all downhill as I initially proposed. But still, 2016 had incredible variety. Great sets from all eras, awesome D2Cs and a good selection of buildable figures... the Rogue One wave was just icing on the cake. Of course the point still stands that the best sets were inaccessible to people because of the price, but just like 2020 the large sets were particularly good. 75151, 75157 and 75158 all great, reflected now by their price on the secondary market. 75150 looks good too, but that doesn’t make the list because its another one of those sets that they didn’t bother stocking in Australia. Standout smaller sets: 75142, 75137, 75127, 75135, 75149, 75153, 75152 and of course 75133+75134. The Death Star update gave us great figures and Assault on Hoth is above and beyond the most underrated Star Wars set of all time (and I’m not saying that because I got the set through LAN, the haters need to screw their heads on and see it for what it is). It wasn’t the “amalgamation of rereleases” that so many claimed it was, it gave us a the first renditions of the big doors, shield generator and the giant boob nipple gun (Edit: my bad on the doors, see 7666). It had plenty of rebel soldiers, standout figures in the droids, snowspeeder pilots and Luke, excellent playability with the modular trench design, a Wampa, a Taun Taun and even a snowspeeder to boot. It was a brilliant play set and I wouldn’t be surprised if it turns out to be sleeper set for the collectors in the long run since so many instantly dismissed it when it came out and you all flipped out because it was labelled UCS.

Edited by Brikkyy13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Even then, the disney era films each had a few sets a couple months after the release, then the sharp cutoff.

That one's from TLJ, and he was talking about TFA, but you're right, that's probably one of the worst they've had. I also agree it's not lego's fault or disney's fault; it's just how movie production works. (although off the top of my head the only other example i remember is ant-man's helmet, which is another disney property, but the wider point stands.)

It's not totally the same, but they made a full size and Microfighter of the Wookiee Gunship from Rebels that was in one episode for like a minute total, I assume for similar reasons as them making obscure stuff from the movies (I'd guess they get concept art or movie stills without knowing much context, especially for stuff that's not a focal point, they probably just know what characters are roughly included in the scene and that's about it). 

It's not Lego, but we also did get a BUNCH of merchandise of Constable Zuvio before TFA, who I guess was supposed to have a larger role (well, not a large role, but probably about the size of the role Unkar Plutt had), and was relegated to being in the background of like two shots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're starting to get off topic here guys. When I start to gloss over all the posts because they start to sound the same then you know you're veering away from the target.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

I mean, sure, if you cherrypick which sets to count you can declare that any year had more than any other year.

I don't know why you'd compare the 501st set to 2014's battlepacks when 2014 also had Battle on Saleucami, which is almost exactly the same set (5 minifigs, a BARC speeder, and misc other builds for $30) except with far less desirable figures.


How is it cherrypicking? How do you look at mos eisley cantina for 80$ in 2014 with molded dewback,lukes landspeeder and 8 figures(2 exclusive) the same way you look that monstrocity darth vader helmet for same price now and calling ithem both a normal set? 

Battle of Saleucami was 15$  when it came out and came with 2 accurate vehicles vs car wreck of 6 time oversized at-rt and barc speeder from 501st set (inflation only added 1.67$ on 15$ january 2014 to august 2020 according to bureau of labor statistics). Therefore you cant really compare the 2. People are calling 501st set a battlepack or "xl battlepack" so i am comparing it with 2 battlepacks,even though its not. With their logic 2021 tie fighter is a battlepack,rogue 1 hovertank is a battlepack etc. If we look at it like a battlepack you get half the figures for double the price,and when you pay 15$ you dont really care about vehicle accuracy,but when its 30 i expect some sort of build accuracy like you get with other 30$ sets like with trouble on tatooine,rogue one hovertank etc. 
 

4 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

The only-usa promos were SDCC sets that weren't going to be released outside of SDCC in a normal year. 2020 is actually BETTER than most years in the regard that instead of a single building, it was at least available for a whole country. In addition, while there were missteps like the overpricing of the grievous set, there were also amazing sets like the RC, AAT, etc. No idea what you mean by no prequel sets this year, I know off the top of my head that at least 4 prequel era sets are releasing this year. I'd argue the new cheaper starfighters are good because fans were complaining they had gotten to expensive, and they were easier for children to afford because the sets are made for children, just like they were in 2014. We also got long-awaited figures like Dodanna and Beskar Mando, with more releasing later like Bo-katan, Saxon, Fennec, Gideon, Mandalore Maul, the list goes on. 

Yeah,but people like me would travel to USA and had the same chance to get those SDCC sets like you Americans have. Not only traveling was banned,but they released sets that are only supposed to be numbered up to like 100 into tens of thousands. It turned into super limited exclusive thats okay not to have in collection into region exclusive that tens of thousands of people have (probably more). LEGO promised to not do region exclusives after Asian new years sets and they did it and no one complained and now they keep doing it with carnage and other stuff. We also have ton of comic cons here from Barcelona to Dortmund,why cant lego take 10% of limited sets from San Diego and make them available here? Why is it only USA? The sets arent even made in USA to have shipping argument,they are most likely made with sweat and blood of Mexican,Chinese and Hungarian underpaid workers,the entire thing is just idiotic to me.

Yeah i agree some sets were great like AAT,Cantina,AT-AT,RC... But there were too many missteps from mustafar vader in jedi interceptor and poorly packaged cockpilot glass that came scratched in every other set to knights of ren ship that was built like a tank and after you spent hundreds to get them all,you had no space to put them inside.
By no prequel sets i mean we got 0 prequel sets from august of 2020 till now almost May which is 9 months and there wont be any for next 3. Yeah we are getting them soon,but how many people collect LEGO prequel,sequel and clone wars stuff and have nothing to buy for entire year.
I would argue that Dodanna not only wasnt long awaited,but i dont think 99% of casual fans or children even know who that is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PreVizsla said:

Yeah,but people like me would travel to USA and had the same chance to get those SDCC sets like you Americans have. Not only traveling was banned,but they released sets that are only supposed to be numbered up to like 100 into tens of thousands. It turned into super limited exclusive thats okay not to have in collection into region exclusive that tens of thousands of people have (probably more). LEGO promised to not do region exclusives after Asian new years sets and they did it and no one complained and now they keep doing it with carnage and other stuff. We also have ton of comic cons here from Barcelona to Dortmund,why cant lego take 10% of limited sets from San Diego and make them available here? Why is it only USA? The sets arent even made in USA to have shipping argument,they are most likely made with sweat and blood of Mexican,Chinese and Hungarian underpaid workers,the entire thing is just idiotic to me.

Yeah i agree some sets were great like AAT,Cantina,AT-AT,RC... But there were too many missteps from mustafar vader in jedi interceptor and poorly packaged cockpilot glass that came scratched in every other set to knights of ren ship that was built like a tank and after you spent hundreds to get them all,you had no space to put them inside.
By no prequel sets i mean we got 0 prequel sets from august of 2020 till now almost May which is 9 months and there wont be any for next 3. Yeah we are getting them soon,but how many people collect LEGO prequel,sequel and clone wars stuff and have nothing to buy for entire year.
I would argue that Dodanna not only wasnt long awaited,but i dont think 99% of casual fans or children even know who that is. 

....your argument is that the SDCC sets being released to a whole country instead of just SDCC is because you could go to SDCC...in the country...to buy the set. The SDCC that you have to pay for tickets for, not to mention the airline tickets of traveling to California, as well as hotel costs for staying there? So you'd end up spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars for a chance (because it's usually done as a raffle) to purchase the set? And that lego releasing them to all the US was worse? I really don't track the logic here. Most of the sets likely in the US (and like you said, likely made in mexico...which borders the US...) by the time SDCC canceled anyway, so yes, the argument that it doesn't make economic sense to send the incredibly limited copies of the set to the borders of the earth definitely still counts.

If two of the biggest missteps are a figure with damaged robes and a debatably packaged part (The KoR ship not being able to fit all the knights isn't great but you can't really fault them if you bought all the knights, they aren't forcing you too), the year doesn't sound so bad. 2014 wasn't exempt from inaccuracy, I have 212th helmets printed backwards as proof of that. And yes, there were no prequel sets for...a single wave of system sets. Shocking. We're getting plurality prequel sets for the second half of the year, I don't think prequel fans will have "nothing to buy for the entire year".  And Doddanna was definitely long awaiting, he was constantly on most-wanted figure lists on this site, many people said they wanted him. Yeah most kids don't know him, I don't remotely understand the point there either, his inclusion isn't making the set (specifically the cheaper x-wing set that came after people complained the previous ones were too expensive for kids to afford) worse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

We're starting to get off topic here guys. When I start to gloss over all the posts because they start to sound the same then you know you're veering away from the target.

*cue Hamilton* “can we get back to Lego leaks?” “PLEASE?”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

....your argument is that the SDCC sets being released to a whole country instead of just SDCC is because you could go to SDCC...in the country...to buy the set.

Yes,you travel to have fun in San Diego and to meet actors and get autographs,SDCC set is just a bonus with less than 1% chance to get,thats the entire fun of the raffle,thousands of europeans are going every year. Its not a big deal if you dont get it when there are 50 or 100 of them. Now there is tens of thousands and we have to pay 120$-500$ + shipping,taxes and custom fees for 40$ set. Its fun to chase exclusives and stuff,but being forced to pay 5 times the price to scalper is just depressing.

 

4 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

We're starting to get off topic here guys. When I start to gloss over all the posts because they start to sound the same then you know you're veering away from the target.

Okay i will stop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright looking at the may release I am probably getting Vader and the probedroid, later down the line i'll pick up an R2 but that's all for now. Since the missus and I just bought a new house I'll be spening next few weeks / months on moving and creating a new lego dungeon for myself while waiting for the gunship to arrive, certainly a day one buy for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll probably grab the Scout Trooper and the Viper - not Vader though, it's too expensive for a mid - spring visit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a new #LegoStarWars hashtag with Vader emoji over on Twitter.

Lego The Skywalker Saga news today? :excited:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

Guys, if MandR wants to share something he will. Pestering him will not get us more info. You don't have to agree with his timing on sharing details. But if you pester he will not have a reason to share anything.

Sorry, it wasn't my intention to pester him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.