MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

I think it comes down to the fact that the serial nature of TCW  can't often compete with the tighter storyline of Rebels. The best CW arcs were the ones that had 3 or more episodes. I like all of it, but I'm definitely in the CW < BB < Rebels camp. I did forget one animated show, its down here Resistance < season 8 of GOT < stepping on a Lego brick.

9 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I feel like the only one they're revealing at legocon is the gunship, just because they revealed official pics of the CW sets and I think it'd be weird for them to save specifically the mando sets for the convention, as opposed to doing the fan vote set. That said, I also wouldn't have expected them to officially reveal two of the wave's system sets but not the rest, so I guess it's possible.

I was also thinking that it would probably be mostly D2Cs and a few reveals for later this year or early next year, but I'm still not really sure what to expect so I'm just gonna keep my expectations low. 

2 hours ago, Archer said:

I think it comes down to the fact that the serial nature of TCW  can't often compete with the tighter storyline of Rebels. The best CW arcs were the ones that had 3 or more episodes. I like all of it, but I'm definitely in the CW < BB < Rebels camp. I did forget one animated show, its down here Resistance < season 8 of GOT < stepping on a Lego brick.

Hey now stepping on a Lego brick is relatively fun compared to those other two, don’t knock it!

25 minutes ago, Meadius said:

I was also thinking that it would probably be mostly D2Cs and a few reveals for later this year or early next year, but I'm still not really sure what to expect so I'm just gonna keep my expectations low. 

I doubt we’re getting any next year reveals. Then again, yeah, this has never happened before so who knows what to expect. 

3 hours ago, Archer said:

I think TCW's anthology nature is what makes it so great, focusing on various aspects of the war throughout. Rebels does have a nice central plotline, but wastes a lot of its potential. There are some gems in Rebels, and overall I enjoyed it quite thoroughly, but to me, TCW will always be the better show. For one, George's involvement meant that often times it was his creative vision that was being outlined (alongside Dave Filoni's), and it failed to pull its punches when given the opportunity (War is hell), while Rebels had to often "dumb down" its violence despite its target audience being the same as TCW. It felt very tonally out of place at times, with the best characters often being the more mature and/or having experienced the most growth (Ezra's journey is like that of Ahsoka's in a way).

I understand liking one long story as opposed to smaller chunks, but those smaller chunks provided amazing glances into the overall lore of Star Wars.

Bad Batch is in its infancy, so I think it's too early to dole out judgement. I like it a lot so far, but I want clones on the run, not A-Team in Space. I like Omega, I like Cyd, and I like the potential, but only time will tell whether they will waste it, or fulfill it.

Last reason why (imo) TCW far outweighs the others in its class is because of this: out of TCW's core cast (Obi-Wan, Anakin, Ahsoka, Rex, & Padme), all of them had significant growth and character develop by the end. So many lessons learned, so much pain to endure, it turns one of the arguably worst things of the prequels (Anakin) into one of its best. You got to feel the true tragedy of the war itself, that it's not just a pointless war fought by clones who didn't matter. But that the Republic had bred men (not clones, men) destined to fight and die for a cause which they did not choose. And that these men joked, had friends amongst each other, forged bonds with their Jedi overseers, had hobbies and had fears. It makes the ultimate outcome that much more tragic.

Compared to Rebels? I think Kanan, Ezra, and Sabine are the only ones with real development. Hera is one of the best characters, but she seems to have her head screwed on from the start, and gets less development than the rest. Zeb has... history, but that's really it. 1 episode & some dialogue a character arc does not make. Not to mention, the war is not very nuanced, they even go out of their way to dehumanize the soldiers on both sides. They're just red shirts, people who exist to serve up a death count and nothing more.

But neither is perfect, and both are flawed. Overall though, I feel more TCW is more Star Wars than Rebels, both from an objective meta (that being George's involvement) and simply in the way it's executed.

Rebels has its moments, and is by no means a bad show, but I have to give TCW the edge in overall quality.

After so many years, I still recall Trespass, The Hidden Enemy, Rookies, Cat & Mouse, Hostage Crisis, The Citadel, Supply Lines, and those are just from the first three seasons. 2nd Battle of Geonosis to the Death Watch plot, these were memorable episodes.

I can't recall that much of Rebels on the other hand, and I know that's very subjective. 

So the smear ends here! :laugh: TCW > Rebels all the way (though they're both pretty good :classic:)

With that off my chest:

I really am starting to warm up more to the Mandalore Throne. It's a cool little display piece. I think I'll have Bo-Katan sit in it though (or perhaps even Mando :grin:) Better pics truly do the sets justice.

Wow, weird to see how many people here are WRONG! I'm Just kidding but to me, CW is VASTLY superior to Rebels. I liked it but it's mostly filler "conflict of the week" stuff with a couple of really solid arcs and a weird, messy ending. Bad Batch is consistently good so far but it's mostly been "conflict of the week" stuff and we're only 6 episodes in so I'll withold my placement of it until we get into the meat of the show with some solid arcs that I'm sure are coming. 

That said, I really don't have any interest in a UCS Republic Gunship, I'd rather get another system scale version. I wasn't able to afford any of the past versions when they came out but I'm at a point in my life where I easily can. Heck, if the fall wave wasn't so incredible I'd probably bricklink the last one.

Edited by ToaDraco

6 hours ago, Archer said:

Agreed on almost all points here, TCW was an anthology so it’s highs were amazingly high but it’s lows were so unbelievably low they make The Last Jedi look competent by comparison. GoT s8 is underrated though, you try closing out all those main character’s storylines in 7 episodes without source material. 

13 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Agreed on almost all points here, TCW was an anthology so it’s highs were amazingly high but it’s lows were so unbelievably low they make The Last Jedi look competent by comparison.

You take that back right now! :laugh:

I'll take a bad TCW episode over that trash fire any day.

So in an attempt for a change of discourse (this is Lego after all), when do you think we'll see the official pics of the other sets.

I'd like to get a better look at Fennec, Gideon and the Dark Trooper especially.

So is it just me or are we LONG overdue for a new jetpack piece for Boba Fett. It's bothered me for years that they keep giving him the Jango Fett/generic Mandalorian jetpack when he's always had a more distinct design with a huge missile. Fingers crossed BoBF gives them an excuse to finally make a new mold. Also make his helmet and jetpack dark green because the more I look at the new figure, the more it bothers me. It's still an excellent figure but man LEGO, either make his helmet and jetpack dark green to match the torso print or make the torso print sand green to match the helmet and jetpack, don't split the difference which is exactly what you've done. That said I have a funny feeling this is the figure we'll get for every single BoBF set.

So in an attempt for a change of discourse (this is Lego after all), when do you think we'll see the official pics of the other sets.

I'd like to get a better look at Fennec, Gideon and the Dark Trooper especially.

I'd say LEGO Con at the latest so not too long to wait.

Edited by ToaDraco

2 minutes ago, ToaDraco said:

So is it just me or are we LONG overdue for a new jetpack piece for Boba Fett. It's bothered me for years that they keep giving him the Jango Fett/generic Mandalorian jetpack when he's always had a more distinct design with a huge missile. Fingers crossed BoBF gives them an excuse to finally make a new mold. Also make his helmet and jetpack dark green because the more I look at the new figure, the more it bothers me. It's still an excellent figure but man LEGO, either make his helmet and jetpack dark green to match the torso print or make the torso print sand green to match the helmet and jetpack, don't split the difference which is exactly what you've done. That said I have a funny feeling this is the figure we'll get for every single BoBF set.

I think the ESB armor has the helmet in a lighter (sand) green color, whilst the standard pads are in fact a darker green. I could be wrong.

I happen to like the current Jetpack, it's one of those few pieces Lego gets right first try. That being said, the jetpack molded into the original figure is more accurate. But Lego hates giving Star Wars characters unique molds. Because then the clones, Mandalorians, and the Fetts would all have different jetpacks.

7 hours ago, Archer said:

Resistance < season 8 of GOT < stepping on a Lego brick.

Did that show murder your family or something? :laugh: I know Resistance isn't particularly well-received in comparison to the other three animated shows, but putting it below GoT S8 is just needlessly mean :tongue: It's a pretty harmless show overall (its lack of teeth is what bothered me the most), and I can't recall it undoing 7 seasons of previous character development, pulling plot points out of thin air and rushing everything to the breaking point.

I just wish we got the Fireball instead of Black Ace

1 hour ago, ToaDraco said:

So is it just me or are we LONG overdue for a new jetpack piece for Boba Fett. It's bothered me for years that they keep giving him the Jango Fett/generic Mandalorian jetpack when he's always had a more distinct design with a huge missile.

There are great custom ones available. Combined with printed arms from the UCS-Sets and an accurate gun mould it makes Boba one of the prettiest minifigures I ever saw.

1 hour ago, ARC2149Nova said:

I think the ESB armor has the helmet in a lighter (sand) green color, whilst the standard pads are in fact a darker green. I could be wrong.

I happen to like the current Jetpack, it's one of those few pieces Lego gets right first try. That being said, the jetpack molded into the original figure is more accurate. But Lego hates giving Star Wars characters unique molds. Because then the clones, Mandalorians, and the Fetts would all have different jetpacks.

The jetpack thing feels like such a minor detail I don’t care that much when say Hunter doesn’t even get a backpack. 

4 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

With that off my chest:

I really am starting to warm up more to the Mandalore Throne. It's a cool little display piece. I think I'll have Bo-Katan sit in it though (or perhaps even Mando :grin:) Better pics truly do the sets justice.

Dear god I hope we see that in live action. Mand’alor Din Djarin, spear in one hand, saber in the other, Jedi Knight Grogu on one side and General Kryze on the other, Thrawn’s head pinned by a spike above the throne. Would be bloody gorgeous. I really like the stained glass windows and DARTH FRIDGE. Might pick it up later. 

Edited by hondohnaka

14 hours ago, storskogen said:

You are not alone!

The Mandalorian Starfighter looks excellent, especially when the wings are displayed in horizontal position. The side with antistuds doesn’t look that great as expected, but it is still good in my opinion. Happy it has landing mode and hosts two minifigs. At that piece count and price it could not have been better.

Rebels fans rise up! :laugh:

It really does look great, and the antistud thing doesn't bother me as much as, say, the bad batch shuttle wing, as because you can rotate the wings, it's easy to avoid displaying it in such a way that the antistuds are visible (whereas you can only look at the bad batch shuttle from one direction if you don't want antistuds.)

10 hours ago, Archer said:

Resistance < season 8 of GOT < stepping on a Lego brick.

A shame, really. Clone wars worked so well to retroactively make the prequels bearable, and TLJ especially needed that. To get slightly on topic, it did have great ship designs, and I'm sad that due to the cancellation we'll never see those sets Plus we didn't get the main hero ship, like seriously wtm (what the megablock).

The ONLY order that works: Ewoks<going to hell<droids and resistance<bad batch, rebels, and clone wars. 

7 hours ago, Meadius said:

Yeah, that's what I'm guessing.

2 hours ago, hondohnaka said:

Dear god I hope we see that in live action. Mand’alor Din Djarin, spear in one hand, saber in the other, Jedi Knight Grogu on one side and General Kryze on the other, Thrawn’s head pinned by a spike above the throne. Would be bloody gorgeous. I really like the stained glass windows and DARTH FRIDGE. Might pick it up later. 

Agh, curse you, now I've got to buy the set to put djin on the throne! Reminds me of a concept I had during season 2 that Mando would give armors to Cara, Cobb, and Greef, start a full clan, and eventually become Mand'alor.

2 hours ago, hondohnaka said:

The jetpack thing feels like such a minor detail I don’t care that much when say Hunter doesn’t even get a backpack. 

It's not too hard to make a backpack for them though, but it is annoying.

4 hours ago, Brickroll said:

Anakin voice “Not again…”

"I hate Last Jedi discourse. It's course, and rough, and irritating, and it gets everywhere."

Edited by ood0

43 minutes ago, ood0 said:

"I hate Last Jedi discourse. It's course, and rough, and irritating, and it gets everywhere."

"Even sand is better!" :laugh:

Pesky people with their varied opinions.

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Agh, curse you, now I've got to buy the set to put djin on the throne! Reminds me of a concept I had during season 2 that Mando would give armors to Cara, Cobb, and Greef, start a full clan, and eventually become Mand'alor.

That's actually a really cool idea. I think it'll be cool to set up the Throne, Din, Grogu, Cara, Bo-Katan, Greef, Boba, and Fennec. The perfect figure display.

I don't usually buy sets day one, but Trouble on Tatooine was a special exception, and I think some of these will be too.

I'm thinking the Gauntlet, Light Cruiser, and Slave I. Hopefully there's a good promo going then.

Y’all’s pesky ideas are going to convince me to buy that stupid duel set aren’t you :hmpf_bad:

I might buy a second armory and use the horns off the Armorer on one of the spare Mandos to give him a crown. 

edit: got an old Chima set from 2013 this morning and it inspired me to complain about the Bad Batch shuttle. It’s set number 70009, Worriz’s Combat Lair. It’s 664 pieces, I bought it for 90 dollars. And for play and display value, it wildly outpaces the Shuttle by leaps and bounds. Every piece is used in a sensible, clever manner, it’s incredibly streamlined, and it’s honestly worth the 90 dollars I paid for it. Cut to modern day, a 900+ piece set looks and plays like…that. I’ll say it; the 2013 set with only a little more then half the pieces is more fitting the 100 dollar price tag then the 2021 set. I pre-ordered it because the Batch are very very pretty, but it’s very disappointing to see what Lego lets slide these days. 

Edited by hondohnaka

1 hour ago, hondohnaka said:

It’s set number 70009, Worriz’s Combat Lair. It’s 664 pieces, I bought it for 90 dollars. 

Man that thing is ugly. Chima was a real bad theme. I'd take the baby Havoc Marauder over it any day.

7 minutes ago, ood0 said:

Man that thing is ugly. Chima was a real bad theme. I'd take the baby Havoc Marauder over it any day.

Eh I like it but it’s a major nostalgia trip for me so slightly biased. I just feel like they did more with less, if that makes sense. 

2 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

"Even sand is better!" :laugh:

Pesky people with their varied opinions.

I don't think the system works.

4 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

That's actually a really cool idea. I think it'll be cool to set up the Throne, Din, Grogu, Cara, Bo-Katan, Greef, Boba, and Fennec. The perfect figure display.

I don't usually buy sets day one, but Trouble on Tatooine was a special exception, and I think some of these will be too.

I'm thinking the Gauntlet, Light Cruiser, and Slave I. Hopefully there's a good promo going then.

That's my plan too, put mando on the throne and surround him with his allies. Maybe put the Crest behind it too.

Definitely buying Slave one and the duel (just sold my Ahsoka from the AAT, so now it's a net payment of $10), and I already pre-ordered the bad batch shuttle. 

10 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

It may be accurate to ESB but the figure is based on the Mandalorian and the freshly repainted armor which is consistently dark green on the helmet, jetpack and torso. I feel like LEGO should have picked one color or the other because as it is the figure is jarringly inconsistent color-wise. As far as the jetpack goes, I guess that's true but if there's any character that deserves a unique jetpack mold, it's Boba. Hell, I'd be happy with them bringing this piece back in an appropriate color and adding a couple other pieces to give it the proper tall missile. Minifigure Jet Pack with Nozzles and Stud

14 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

So the smear ends here! :laugh: TCW > Rebels all the way (though they're both pretty good :classic:)

I think the Peak of TCW > Peak Rebels. A random Rebels episode is better than a random CW episode but the best CW arcs like Umbara, or Mandalore (any of the 3 IMO) are better than the individual arcs in Rebels. Rebels crew is amazing throughout which is what makes it top tier SW.

Having seen the latest pics of the the august wave I'm really quite pleased.

Moff Gideon's Imperial Light Cruiser looks great & I can't wait to see the interior pics.
The Fennec Shand, Moff Gideon & Darktrooper minifigs are very nice. The Darksaber is a bit poor, but I'm sure there are better alternatives on Bricklink. I'll definitely need more Darktrooper though. An updated Cara Dune minifig would have been good as I already have one from the AT-ST Raider set.

I'm going to get two Imperial Troop Transport sets, these will be great additions to my Imperial Army. Hopefully pics of the interior will be available soon. The Mortar Stormtrooper & updated Greef Karga minifigs look great. More standard Stormtroopers are always welcome too, lol.

The Mandalore Throne & Vault set looks good, I'll be mainly buying it for the Darth Maul minifig though as I already have two versions of that Ahsoka Tano minifig.

The Mandalorian Fighter set looks lovely! The Bo-Katan, Gar Saxon & Mandalorian Loyalist minifigs are gorgeous too. 

Of course I'm getting the Bad Batch Shuttle too, as previously stated in previous posts.

Apparently we will see a single new Star Wars set at LEGO con (I maintain that's a really unfortunate choice of name), so I guess we're all expecting the gunship? Any chance it could be the mysterious 75369?

Edited by TeddytheSpoon