I have a feeling and hope for the second. Unimog and Arocs were both PF but non RC and are two of the best flagships. Do we really want or need another 42070, 42099 or 42114 like model, crawler slow with no interesting functions?

Depends; perhaps buggy tires will be used for commercial reasons; who knows...

23 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

I have a feeling and hope for the second. Unimog and Arocs were both PF but non RC and are two of the best flagships. Do we really want or need another 42070, 42099 or 42114 like model, crawler slow with no interesting functions?

Yeah but how do you turn 300€ into a non-RC set?

Edited by Bartybum

52 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

With ease, it's LEGO we are talking about :sceptic: You just stick a number to it...

Edited by MajklSpajkl

57 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Sian?

I have a feeling that it will be at least motorised with "dumb" battery box and single motor, like the Arocs or Unimog, which were the other Mercedes sets, and were both brilliant! It would be a shame if both this and the flagship were RC (unless they are finally, for the first time ever, bringing some mechanical realism to an RC set of course)

Edited by allanp

32 minutes ago, allanp said:

Sian?

I have a feeling that it will be at least motorised with "dumb" battery box and single motor, like the Arocs or Unimog, which were the other Mercedes sets, and were both brilliant! It would be a shame if both this and the flagship were RC (unless they are finally, for the first time ever, bringing some mechanical realism to an RC set of course)

The Sian’s not a fair comparison though - with that you’re paying for the premium Lamborghini license. That was never the case with the Mercedes sets.

56 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

The Sian’s not a fair comparison though - with that you’re paying for the premium Lamborghini license. That was never the case with the Mercedes sets.

I don't think that is so significant. At least it should not be much higher than all the other licenses that are spread among several categories, from Speed Champions to the new Technic Ferrari. 

4 hours ago, kbalage said:

I don't think that is so significant. At least it should not be much higher than all the other licenses that are spread among several categories, from Speed Champions to the new Technic Ferrari. 

Sorry, I meant to say the license and premium nature of the set, given it’s a flashy luxury collector’s item even without the license.

Edited by Bartybum

Long story short, I once made a Foremost commander "tri"axle. On this truck "tri" means triple axle. So this Zetros 8x8 + fwd & rear axle steering came to my mind, even if there is only few chances LEGO works on something like that - too many wheels.

See below for the picture and under for video. That some of the picture I keep in my reference library as I was planning eventually to build it one day.

paul-nutzfahrzeuge-gmbh---zetros-3543-8x

Edited by Superkoala

12 hours ago, I_Igor said:

I have feeling the first version...but it could be smaller (based in 81.6 tires) and relatively detailed cab and just panels for rear section containing hub...

How about new buggy tires? Don't forget about new tires :)

Just now, Aleh said:

:pir-thumb:

You know that scale (21 studs wide chassis) with decent can details could be the solution

If the Zetros is similar to 42070, PU and a license could make up the price increase. Hopefully it will have proper live axles like the previous licensed Mercedes trucks, 8110 and 42043 did.

14 minutes ago, lmdesigner42 said:

If the Zetros is similar to 42070, PU and a license could make up the price increase. Hopefully it will have proper live axles like the previous licensed Mercedes trucks, 8110 and 42043 did.

I think it will have axles something like rear axles from 42043 set...but let's us be (pleasantly) surprised. IMHO (as I mentioned and posted image of real Zetros...) it would be a Trial truck. Unimogs with torque tube axles are very popular trial trucks (among others of course like Tatras...not to forget Russian monsters), but somehow I have a feeling that good old Unimog 404 will have a successor...

...remember that in 2019 we had a Liebherr and offtoader both with PU, so this year's Cat and Zetros could be the same game...

2 hours ago, lmdesigner42 said:

have proper live axles like the previous licensed Mercedes trucks, 8110 did.

Aha, super-negative caster that was in front axle of 8110 :laugh:

Looking forward to this one. Missed out on the Unimog, so let's hope it will be at least as good.

So that means it's almost 100% confirmed that it has to be remote controlled with Control+. I see no other way to justify that price tag.

2108 pcs and 329.99 EUR means this thing is basically a beefed up and licensed 42099. C+ is most likely confirmed.

A Technic hub only has 4 ports. Two are for drive and steer. It doesn't make sense for a crane to only have 2 RC functions. A minimum viable crane at least has 3 functions: slewing arm, raising arm, and moving winch.

Unless...

This thing uses 8043 gearbox. *oh2**oh2**oh2*

It can do a gearbox with 4 motors, and one of them controls a mode switch. In the drive mode the other three motors control drive, steer, and front winch. In the crane mode the other three motors control slewing arm, raising arm, lowering crane winch. 

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

Just spitballing what could be here, because why the hell not (note all dollar prices in AUD):

330€ ~ $520AUD, add 10% GST to make ~$570. Yeesh

2.1k pieces at an expected ~14c/p would make for roughly $300, with $270 left for electronics and other stuff. Say $200 for four motors and a hub because it’s in a set so it’s a bit cheaper than buying standalone. That leaves $70.

I could still see this set having pneumatics, even with four motors.

Edited by Bartybum

2 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

In the drive mode the other three motors control drive, steer, and front winch.

I feel that it would be better to have steering be directly connected to the motor. The gap between the clutch gears and the driving rings will mean backlash for the steering, not to mention it will make it much harder to have return-to-center steering. I hope it's just drive and 3 crane functions connected to the gearbox or 4 crane functions with drive connected to its own motor, using a 4-output distribution gearbox with a single rotary catch sorta like in the 42114. With the latter we will be able to have 6 total functions: drive/steering plus the 4 gearbox functions.