Haddock51

My Own Lego World

49991796776_a9bd54fd75_c.jpg

Three years ago, I finished my Lego Train 9V Extreme Project.

And now it's time to inaugurate My Own Lego World, a Project that - on and off - has been ongoing for approx. 30 months.

This layout includes many vintage Lego sets from the time our daughters grew up. Most of these sets are from the 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s. Some originate from more recent years.

My Own Lego World covers the following themes:

• City
  • Paradisa & Beach
  • Container Port & Shark Bay
  • Outdoor activities
  • World Cup Soccer (1998)
  • Space & Space Center
  • Airport, Aircrafts and Air Show
  • Tivoli
  • Train 9V

In addition, it also includes several MOCs (e.g. signal box, track traverses, observation tower, stairways, open-air cinema, church, windmill and cableway base station with "elevator" tower) and a battery driven cableway (Rigi Lehmann).

Addendum #1:          Technical data & details

Construction:

• Level 0:  74 cm above floor
  • Level 1:  17 cm above level 0
  • Level 2:  36 cm above level 0
  • Top of Lego World:  214 cm above floor

Layout dimensions:

• Level 0:  3.8 x 3.8 m (with two islands of 0.75 x 0.75 m)
  • Level 1:  0.5 x 3.6 m plus 0.5 x 0.5 m
  • Level 2:  0.5 x 2.1 m
  • Total layout area (excl. Moon Base and Top of Lego World):  approx. 17 sqm

Train 9V:

• Total track length incl. sidings and dead-ends: approx. 51 m
  • Total track length incl. Lego Train 9V Extreme layout: approx. 224 m with - all in all - 67 power connections to rails
  • Including train shelves, 2 296 rails and switches are now deployed in this room with a total length of approx. 311 m: 1 871 straight (whereof 675 for train shelves), 330 curved, 51 modified straight (4, 8, 10, 12 and 14 studs), 19 standard-, 14 halfcurve and 11 crossover switches (eight switches are electrically operated).
  • Movable train bridge between My Own Lego World and Lego Train 9V Extreme layout
  • Gradients: approx. 6.5 and 8 percent
  • Min. clearance: approx. 12 cm
  • Track Design Program: Track Designer Application (R) version 2.0 by Matthew D. Bates (Matts LEGO (R) Train Depot)

Electrics/Electronics:

• 1 power supply unit Voltcraft EP-925, 3-15V(DC), max 25A
  • 2 modified train speed regulators (4548) with LM350T regulators, 3A diodes, outside heatsinks (with a thermal resistance of 1.9 K/W), mini fans and digital thermometers to measure temperatures inside the speed regulator boxes
  • 3 standard train speed regulators (4548)
  • 15 power connections to rails
  • approx. 200 m RK cable 1.5 sqmm
  • 1 LED strand (2 m) with dimmer
  • Märklin pins and sleeves

Cableway:

• Distance:  aprox. 4.8 m
  • Height difference:  approx. 1.0 m

Construction materials:

• 10 tables 0.75 x 1.5 m and 3 tables 0.75 x 0.75 m
  • wood (45 x 45 mm) and wood strips (22 x 43 mm)
  • MDF boards (6 and 10 mm)
  • ground grass and ballast (Busch, Faller)
  • fishline 0.47 mm
  • cable conduits
  • angle irons
  • straps
  • paint

Addendum #1:          Pictures

49991273183_622193bee7_c.jpg

49991155513_8e97b91788_c.jpg

49991155163_7113b4ac42_c.jpg

49991155343_c3d5ea427a_c.jpg

49991676371_777b6e4978_c.jpg

49991154923_6409c4cff9_c.jpg

49991154468_6e0eabb501_c.jpg

49991675581_f8b442f4dd_c.jpg

49991918392_0e6f9c5ba3_c.jpg

49991154083_b9e8f6f82b_c.jpg

49991918157_89e0a32eeb_c.jpg

49991669486_52d383cd24_c.jpg

49992035482_ac101fb413_c.jpg

49991273103_fc6c06f251_c.jpg

49992036362_d4244cf97b_c.jpg

49991156458_cc17126c28_c.jpg

49991156373_480d8fa488_c.jpg

49991156193_4b920cb90e_c.jpg

49991156123_603b569c45_c.jpg

49991919842_837b9a88dc_c.jpg

49991676851_a4c253cc0f_c.jpg

49991678026_cbf7cdaff0_c.jpg

49991677966_33b3d06a5f_c.jpg

49991920902_b68cb35361_c.jpg

49991920832_bc264b643c_c.jpg

49991156773_e157e78a5f_c.jpg

Addendum #3:          Videos

Cableway:

Edited by Haddock51

This is awesome!  Congratulations on an amazing layout!  I remember seeing the extreme 9v layout a year or so ago on EB, but this is even more impressive!  How many trains have you got on your layout?

1 hour ago, Vilhelm22 said:

How many trains have you got on your layout?

On  My Own Lego World layout, I have currently four trains plus one tramway. On the Lego Train 9V Extreme layout, I have currently another five trains. In addition, there are 30 more trains on my train shelves. All powered with 9V engines.

Edited by Haddock51

What a beautiful world! Many sets from my childhood that I unfortunately no longer own due to the dark age.

Amazing complement to your extreme layout. And then all the macro detailing you are bringing, e.g., the cable car (looks like it could have been LGB)

Still though, you need to squeeze in another 26 m of track...

19 hours ago, Haddock51 said:

Total track length incl. Lego Train 9V Extreme layout: approx. 224 m

... to get to a quarter km

Though in a pinch it looks like you've blown past that mark already...

19 hours ago, Haddock51 said:

including train shelves,... a total length of approx. 311 m:

2 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Amazing complement to your extreme layout. And then all the macro detailing you are bringing, e.g., the cable car (looks like it could have been LGB)

Still though, you need to squeeze in another 26 m of track...

... to get to a quarter km

Though in a pinch it looks like you've blown past that mark already...

There is no way to squeeze in additional track meters (unless I expand my Lego room considerably. The support for such a plan is below zero...)

Now I will take a much needed summer break until september/october. Then I will Think about new challenging objectives w.r.t. Lego projects. This will most likely be about new exciting trains.

Edited by Haddock51

On 6/11/2020 at 11:40 PM, Phoxtane said:

How do you tell your dogs apart?

They are very different.

The black & white one (Zorro) goes completely bananas when I start the cableway. He seems to appreciate trains much more...

4 hours ago, Haddock51 said:

The black & white one (Zorro) goes completely bananas when I start the cableway

OK. And do you the other black & white one apart from Zoro?

(:pir_laugh2: Ok, yes, I am color-blind - I am speculating that a) Zoro is in front and b) the other one in the back is ... hmmm ... some brownish white? Man brown - what a color: It can go from red to green and gray ... certainly black when it is dark-brown)

Fantastic layout - it must have been an enormous amount of work. Some of my airborne stuff is also hooked up the the ceilings with this barely visible Nylon yarn. That alone took me hours adn hours ...

All the best and enjoy your summer break!
Thorsten

Thanks @Toastie

The other dog (Luqas) is 10 years old and brown & white. He is a kind of old man who doesn't get excited in the first place, certainly not about cableways and trains...

Before starting to build this display, I spend many hours to unpack and sort out all my Lego sets that were stocked in my sauna (which I haven't been able to use for more than 10 years...). There are still enough sets left for another major layout... But then I would need to expand my current room, an option that is not even negotiable...

After the summer break, I will have to start with a complete and careful cleaning of the entire Lego room, incl. all trains on the shelves which will certainly require a mental recharge...

But then, I will most likely start to build my own Riviera Express (the BR10 is already in place).

And then start looking for other challenging train projects!

Toastie, I wish you a nice summer. Take care of yourself, particularly in these Corona times!

Daniel

Edited by Haddock51

On 6/16/2020 at 4:46 AM, Haddock51 said:

But then I would need to expand my current room, an option that is not even negotiable...

+

And then start looking for other challenging train projects!

= garden railway? (grin)

+ working rotary snow plow

I didn't comment last year but I am now because of your Glacier Express. I wanted to see more of your layout. It is still very impressive. I wish I had room in my house to do this. Looks like my kids grew up at the same time.

Even though the room is very much occupied, I managed to add some objects since summer 2020. I couldn't resist buying the Colosseum, a very nice addition to the attractions already in place (Taj Mahal, Big Ben, London Tower Bridge and Sydney Opera House).

In addition, I built a Bistro along the high level train track  next to the cable way top station.The MOC includes a mini loudspeaker so I can listen to Swiss folc music when running my trains through the Swiss alps....

I am very pleased with the Glacier Express, my latest addition to my train collection. Within soon, the Riviera Express will hopefully be ready as well.

Edited by Haddock51

WOW! Phenomenal layout. Love all the LEGO trains you have and the fact that the town looks very 'Classic LEGO town'.

I just have one burning question.. how do you prevent dust build up on such a massive layout? :distressed:

I have a small shunting layout and the amount of dust it collects in a week is pretty astounding. 

I just have a short answer to your burning question - it's hardly impossible to prevent dust build up on such a huge layout, particularly if you have two dogs... 

So the basic question is: how do you deal with dust?

As a matter of fact, I am right now in the process of getting mentally prepared to clean my entire Lego room, an exercise that will most likely  take several weeks. That includes cleaning approx. 300 meters (!) of 9V tracks with metal plates. This will require the use of a special cleaning waggon with a weight of almost 1 kg, pushed and pulled by 6 locomotives with 12 9V engines (!) This waggon is mandatory in those parts of the track that are out of reach - and there are many ...

51560978858_a01c7f84a1_b.jpg

51561658565_e9a1c314a7_b.jpg

Great layout and fantastic work even on non-train related creations!!!  :laugh: I love that cableway, the church and that fantastic console for controlling all trains! :wub:

Ciao!

Davide

awesome layout! if it is a permanent one you might want to look at converting your trains to dcc controll so they can all be controlled by one pc/raspberry/tablet

2 hours ago, XG BC said:

awesome layout! if it is a permanent one you might want to look at converting your trains to dcc controll so they can all be controlled by one pc/raspberry/tablet

Yes, this is a permanent layout with a total track length of 224 meters (plus 87 meters train shelves).

I remember that DCC was a topic that was intensely discussed at the time I was making first plans and setting the basic requirements for my 9V Extreme track. That is many years ago, and I am unable to recall all the details of these discussions. Finally, I decided to remain with/go for 9V with original - and modified -Lego train controls.

So far, I have invested in 160 9V engines (!), probably the largest 9V engine collection in the world, worth a fortune.. Due to the inclines of 8 percent, the long and heavy trains are equipped with 8 - 12 9V engines, which also required uppgrading of the train controls with 3A diodes and substantially more efficient heat sinks. In addition, the track is segmented in 4 segments where you can operate 4 trains simultaneously (by 4 hands ...). For me, that's good enough.

I have no idea what a conversion of my trains to DCC control would imply, not the least financially. If the benefit of such a conversion is limited to control trains by one pc/raspberry/tablet, my decision would most likely be negative.

dcc enables you to automate trains and much more like adding sound to them, lights that change based on train direction and it allowes you to have lights when the train isnt moving. financially yes it is an investment but it also depends with what central station or components you choose. they can vary in price insanely depending on the brand/features you want. if you are happy with your current solution then stick with it!

Edited by XG BC

Thank you XG BC, your comments and feedback are much appreciated!

When reading your lines, I recall some of the arguments to go for DCC. I also remember visiting an AFOL colleague in Belgium several years ago with a very interesting and impressive layout using DCC with basically all the features and benefits you mentionned.

Yes, lights have been on my agenda for many years and several of my passenger trains are equipped with various light systems. It really creates a special ambiance when running these trains in darkness. However, the lights have to be turned on/off manually which is ok for me.

The remaining open topics on my list are sound - and smoke! I remember a video some years ago on Youtube from a guy in Norway who was operating a steam engine - I think it was an Emerald Night - with both sound and smoke! Very impressive indeed, but I haven't investigated this matter any further so far. Hopefully this can be solved for a single locomotive - e.g. the BR10 - without a complete conversion to DCC.

Looking ahead, I will think about new train projects, with the Orient Express on top of my wish list. In addition, I hope we start making more videos now when the Corona pandemic seems to be more under control..

Visit my topic "Lego Train 9V Extreme - ready!" where you can read more about this track and watch spectacular videos!

Edited by Haddock51

23 hours ago, Haddock51 said:

Yes, this is a permanent layout with a total track length of 224 meters (plus 87 meters train shelves).

Come on, marketing says you should say "over 1/4 km of track." In all seriousness, that is a very impressive claim, you are among the few who can rightfully use "km" to talk about their lego build.

23 hours ago, Haddock51 said:

So far, I have invested in 160 9V engines (!), probably the largest 9V engine collection in the world, worth a fortune.. Due to the inclines of 8 percent, the long and heavy trains are equipped with 8 - 12 9V engines,

Wow! So have you become proficient at rearing and maintaining the 9v motors too? What sort of lifetime do you get out of a motor? (hours of operation?) And do you see any extra wear due to running so many motors at one time, the higher current, the steep grades, etc.?

5 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Wow! So have you become proficient at rearing and maintaining the 9v motors too? What sort of lifetime do you get out of a motor? (hours of operation?) And do you see any extra wear due to running so many motors at one time, the higher current, the steep grades, etc.?

Proficient is probably slightly exaggerated, but I have been rather careful when using my 9V motors during all these years.

My first 9V motors were purchased and operated almost 20 years ago. As of today, none of the motors I have purchased - which in average have a lifetime so far of ten years plus - has broken down! All of them are running without problems!

I remember several years ago - probably at the time when TLG decided to discontinue the 9V product line and the introduction of new train product lines like RC, PF etc -  when I read several topics with rather negative opinions and comments about 9V motors, mentionning motors that have broken down etc. I also remember myself reacting strongly because I simply couldn't understand what they were talking about!

My guess is that some of these motors suffered extra wear because of overload, i.e. too long trains with too much weight for a single motor, in combination with multiple hours of running.

Zephyr1934, it's not so easy to answer your questions. Since all my motors are still in operation - i.e. no experienced end of lifetime - the question remains open, at least from my side.

I don't run my trains for several hours in a row, for several reasons. I have not seen any extra wear due to running multiple motors at one time. The higher current is irrelevant in this context because 9V motors pick up just so much current for what is needed. No extra wear due to inclines because I use many motors based on the total train weight, thereby avoiding overload. This can easily be verified by checking motor temperatures, and so far I haven't experienced any overheated motors.

Once a while I clean motor wheels with 70 percent rubbing alcohol, primarily to prevent deterioration of power transmission fram track to motor. And that's about it.

I don't want to resurrect an infected debate, but with my experience - and from what I have seen myself so far - I still believe that Lego train 9V is superior to any other Lego train system, especially with my needs in mind.

6 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Come on, marketing says you should say "over 1/4 km of track." 

What about 28 000 plus 10 900 studs?