MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

I really like the sound of this, a smaller scale cheaper Tie sounds glorious and maybe this means that a Tie Bomber at the same scale might not be too 'obscure'(ha) for lego at the price point.

This list looks plausible, but I am not even that disappointed.

I am annoyed that the AT-AT and Falcon are getting redone as Microfighters, as we already have gotten them before. The only way I would buy a Falcon microfighter would be if it had any variant of Lando in it. The Tauntaun sounds novel and fits with the creature theme two packs. I hope the unrevealed microfighter is a new vehicle.

There a lot of Mandalorian season 1 settings that could get $30 sets, or it could be something from the start of season 2. This will be what the wave hinges on for me.

I was going to make a claim I thought was controversial but it seems most people agree with pricing down the X-Wing and Tie. It's a good idea. Lego simply has been pricing many kids out of iconic sets due to scale and detail. Even as an AFOL I was hesitant to buy the 2018 X-Wing due to the $80 price tag. This year's X-Wing and Tie in particular hit a critical mass of being overpriced. If we have to sacrifice scale a bit, that is fine. I will take low complexity over a high price.

However, the choice to put two X-Wings in the same wave is baffling. While they are different ships from different trilogies, they are still X-Wings. I accept that an X-Wing should be on shelves at all time, but putting two in the same wave when they compete for a smaller price point is short sighted. Lego also could have went with Vader's Tie instead of a regular one since that translates better to a lower price and it has been four and a half years since the last one which was bundled with a lackluster A-Wing.

I think doing a shuttle well at the suggest price is doable, and since I skipped out on the 2016 one I may pick this up if it is not overly scaled down. This is a ship that can only be in scale in UCS anyway.

The Helmets will probably be all OT based, which is a shame since the prequels have nothing this wave. A clone Helmet would be nice.

I see this wave as a silver lining for me to save some money back for future waves and/or the Cantina. There is only 1 absolute purchase (Mando set), and two maybe purchases (X-Wing and Shuttle). It is hard for me to evoke negative thoughts about a wave I will not buy much of. Now if Summer 2021 is equally as lackluster, then I will be disappointed.

According to promobricks, the Mando set is a “hero vehicle”. I can’t think of anything in season 1 that would fit the bill, so it’s probably based on season 2 :excited: But apart from that set, I’m not looking forward to a single one of the sets on that list. I hope the other themes are less disappointing

The X-wing is apparently a similar size to 75218 but less detail. Tie Fighter has smaller ‘wings’ and 3 minifigs. The release dates are crazy as well, spread across February, March, and May.

I'm actually kind of intrigued by the TIE Fighter, I think they're way too big nowadays compared to other sets (towering over the Falcon or an X-Wing anyone?) even if it is more proportionally accurate. I wouldn't mind sacrificing some accuracy for a better size. The 4+ TIE Fighter did this, but the detail was so lacking it didn't really do much for me. It'll be interesting to see what an extra $20 and leaving the 4+ line will do for it.

Interesting to see they're doing the Falcon as a microfighter again, I wonder who they'll include this time. Since they've already done Han and Chewie, I wouldn't mind Cloud City Lando... Though it could also be based on the ST (again) or Solo instead of an OT remake. I doubt they'll do Han again since I'm expecting Hoth Han to be riding the tauntaun microfighter.

3 minutes ago, BigGuy4U said:

Interesting to see they're doing the Falcon as a microfighter again, I wonder who they'll include this time. Since they've already done Han and Chewie, I wouldn't mind Cloud City Lando... Though it could also be based on the ST (again) or Solo instead of an OT remake. I doubt they'll do Han again since I'm expecting Hoth Han to be riding the tauntaun microfighter.

Han with a brown jacket apparently. A Solo version would be good.

34 minutes ago, Eaglefan344 said:

Saw Vader and Scout Trooper rumored for 2 of the helmets

That would definitely make sense.  Those two would be the next logical ones to make, in my opinion.  

I think this might be an interesting wave but it’s definitely not the greatest for people looking for more system scale stuff (myself included).  A cheap Mando set is great, I’m wondering what that could be.  The only small vehicles I can think of were the speeder bikes on Tatooine, IG-11’s speeder on Nevarro, and I guess a Bluurg but those all seem highly unlikely.  

I’m curious how the smaller X-Wing/TIE/Shuttle will look.  I definitely appreciate the fact that they’re trying to make something that’s sort of a stopgap between the $80 X-Wing and the $30 4+ one, since they’re very broad ends of the spectrum.  I’m hoping they’re sort of like the 1999-2008ish versions where they’re still scaled well, just not the most hyper-detailed.  

My biggest complaints are no battle packs (but we already knew that, it just hurts to see it!) and the size of the wave, meaning therefore that there’s very little new stuff coming.  

However, my finances are very happy because there’s a Cantina with my name on it, and I don’t know if I’d manage to get that plus a bunch of January sets.

And about the Han, if it’s brown jacket Han, that’s gotta be from Solo, right?  The only time he had a brown jacket in the OT was Endor, and they didn’t even have the Falcon then.  So if that’s true, hopefully it’s the white/blue Falcon, then it’s at least something “new”.

Edited by Kit Figsto

3 hours ago, RODDY said:

When the set was released it wasn’t even classified as a mosque then, it was a museum so the religious excuse is such a sham. Hagía Sofia only became a mosque earlier this year.
Really aggravates me that weren’t not going to see a Jabba’s Palace set because of this. I just want to see my favorite scene in Lego again.

It's just speculation that they won't do another. There have been a total of 4 Jabba sets: original palace (2003?) Original sail barge (2006) and remake of each (2012/13). It feels like a remake is about due. But other than the Desert skiff they don't seem in a rush to pillage that particular goldmine. I just posit that the potential controversy might be the reason, I've no proof.

It's my favourite segment of the films too, and so many standout figures and creatures. I'd be thrilled to get a palace MBS. Even more so a Sail Barge.

Edited by Redroe
Missed an apostrophe and couldn't deal.

1 hour ago, Redroe said:

For the sake of many many kids, I am glad.

I don't need more Star Wars lego for myself. With the exception of a few niche figs and ships I have everuthing I care about. If a 2020's kid can get into the hobby as easily as I could in the 00's, then I am all for it.

I thought that about the 4+ sets though. And then i saw them. So judgement slightly withheld.

It's interesting. They don't seem to be 4+, I'm wondering how they plan to do these, I'll be disappointed if they're just smaller. I already have the most recent normal OT TIE, X-wing and lamba anyway so I'll probably just pick up a microfighter or two (depending on the figures) and this "mando hero vehicle". At least my wallet will be able to recover, this way I'll be able to buy the AT-AT and another 501st pack.

34 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

According to promobricks, the Mando set is a “hero vehicle”. I can’t think of anything in season 1 that would fit the bill, so it’s probably based on season 2 :excited: But apart from that set, I’m not looking forward to a single one of the sets on that list. I hope the other themes are less disappointing

Could be, or it could be some blurrgs, the speeder bikes, or even that droid cart thing ( *pulls out gun* "DRIVE" :grin:) with some terrain. They didn't really give much detail.

16 minutes ago, Redroe said:

It's just speculation that they won't do another. There have been a total of 4 Jabba sets: original palace (2003?) Original sail barge (2006) and remake of each (2012/13). It feels like a remake is about due. But other than the Desert skiff they don't seem in a rush to pillage that particular goldmine. I just posit that the potential controversy might be the reason, I've no proof.

It's my favourite segment of the films too, and so many standout figures and creatures. I'd be thrilled to get a palace MBS. Even more so a Sail Barge.

We also had a few small sets (basically battle packs) back alongside the 2003 palace, one with the droids, bib, and the door, and one with the carbonite han area, boba fett and some guards. Maybe they could re-do those to avoid this faux-controversy? none of the supposedly mosque-like architecture needs to be shown, and it'd be a great way to get more jabba's palace figures at a lower price. 

I'm torn on this wave, and I think it'll come down to whether or not the small-scale sets are executed right. 

No battle packs, while something we knew was coming, is still pretty sad. Microfighters don't seem to be anything special, I might pick up the dual pack since i've liked the creature builds so far and hoth luke is a somewhat elusive figure. I wonder what the unknown one is, probably just a TIE fighter or star destroyer but maybe the figure will be interesting. The $30 mando set is intriguing, but honestly all I want from it is beskar mando and/or moff gideon. Any of the rumored characters would be nice too, we've only gotten one of them in a set recently. 

Spoiler

Of course, I doubt any of the rumors but Fett, Vanth, and maybe ahsoka and her friends are true, but I wouldn't be disappointed with a new version of any of these characters, especially some of the more unlikely ones like sabine or cal.

The helmets and UCS were predictable, although it's nice to see that the helmets are cheaper this time around. As for the final three sets, they better be done right. Cheaper, smaller scale builds could be great for lego, but if they come off as 4+ style it'll all fall apart.

30 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

And about the Han, if it’s brown jacket Han, that’s gotta be from Solo, right?  The only time he had a brown jacket in the OT was Endor, and they didn’t even have the Falcon then.  So if that’s true, hopefully it’s the white/blue Falcon, then it’s at least something “new”.

Hoth Han and TFA Han also have brown jackets, but I'm leaning towards Solo since the last Falcon microfighter from 2018 was also the ST version and Hoth Han for the microfighter seems like a bizarre choice, though it would go with the Tauntaun/AT-AT one pretty well.

Hopefully the Mando set 75299 is something cool (and hopefully from season 2), but with my luck it’ll just be a Blurrg with Kuiil and two repeat figures.

I'm most intrigued by the $30 Mandolorian set(he better have the Beskar armor!) and I'm so, so happy to see that they're going to start making cheaper, smaller TIEs and X-Wings. They've been going way, way too far with those for a long time now. If they look good I'll be picking them up. I've refused to buy TIEs and X-Wings for awhile with the exception of the FO Special ForcesTIE, the TIE Dagger and Major Vonreg's TIE Interceptor(which I got off bricklink for almost half price). The wave on the whole isn't very exciting but personally I'm glad. It gives me some breathing room to focus on picking up old sets I missed out on from years past. Btw, what are the chances the TIE fighter comes with Moff Gideon and the Darksaber? That would definitely be worth it! 

Edited by ToaDraco

9 minutes ago, BigGuy4U said:

Hoth Han and TFA Han also have brown jackets, but I'm leaning towards Solo since the last Falcon microfighter from 2018 was also the ST version and Hoth Han for the microfighter seems like a bizarre choice, though it would go with the Tauntaun/AT-AT one pretty well.

Yep. Would expect a Solo Falcon. Any suggestion what the other MF would be from Solo? They come in pairs. No more. No less.

Personally not bothered about the statues or helmets at all. Mando Hero Vehicle though.... no idea what that might be. Nothing from series 1 fits the bill that I can think of. Closest I can come is the speeders from ep 5. I'd love Kuill (sic?) and some blurgs but not holding out much hope.

Oooofffff. As expected, Razor Crest cockpit canopy demanding 25 gbp in uk, 19 gbp in mainland Europe. When does it become cost effective to just buy the damn thing?

Perhaps I’m overstating my thoughts, but this is honestly one of the most disappointing and boring lineups I’ve read about in this theme since I started collecting a few years ago. Perhaps next summer will be better.

Happy for those who missed out on the previous X-Wings and TIE-Fighters though! Especially as these won’t be so obscenely priced. 

Edited by T21Typhoon

I think this a sort of "reboot" of the star wars line as a response to the constant complaining about sets being too expensive, so they're starting with some iconic ships to test out this new scale.

So, good news for kids, who will get simple play sets, and for parents, who won't need to buy expensive sets to their kids

If the UCS will end up being a slighly bigger, detailed and perfectly minifig scale version of the Republic Gunship, AFOLs will be also satisfied and this will more than compensate the lack of new system scale sets.

The price of the gunship hasn’t been confirmed as €200 it’s just speculation based on the past few years of ucs sets.

9 minutes ago, T21Typhoon said:

Perhaps I’m overstating my thoughts, but this is honestly one of the most disappointing and boring lineups I’ve read about in this theme since I started collecting a few years ago. Perhaps next summer will be better.

Agreed. I’ve been there since the very beginning and this is the first time I’ve been disappointed in a wave :sad: No battle packs, mostly redesigned microfighters and only one set based on new content. Not even the minifigs can save this wave because they will most likely either be repeats or slightly modified versions. 

Next summer has to be better than this! ...can’t wait for the inevitable Snowspeeder, Luke’s Landspeeder and A-Wing :laugh_hard:

What a garbage line up..maybe some of the builds will turn out alright, but I can’t for the life of me understand why they refuse to make prequel and clone wars sets especially given how well the two CW ones we got this wave have sold so far. Very tired of the OT; we dont need anymore X-Wings or Ties..I’ll likely pass on all this except for perhaps the Mandalorian set. 

The 2021 rumor list doesn't sound too bad, actually.
I'm mainly curious about the Mandalorian Hero Vehicle and the Imperial Shuttle. 

Regards,
Mitch

15 minutes ago, Thieda said:

The price of the gunship hasn’t been confirmed as €200 it’s just speculation based on the past few years of ucs sets.

We also don't know if that's the Gunship anyway.  The vote was in like last February, and I seem to remember an interview with designers saying that they didn't have prototypes or anything mocked up yet prior to the vote.  11 months seems like a really quick turnaround time for them to develop a set that big and get it mass-produced.